• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am genuinely stunned. Witcher 3 patch is awesome

Hi GAF, firstly this game is nuts. When does it end!!!! Am at the end after killing
Eredin
and need still to do all the DLC and heavens knows when I get another 100 hours to do NG+ which I will try with the DLC.

However, for the first time ever on any game.... An update has blown me away. On PS4 it looks better, runs better and the inventory. On my.

What a game..

And the wife is away till Sunday with the sisters hen do.

Magic reigns.

will need a lot more spare weekends.... But hey fun wives are a rare treat.. Games can come second place... But this souped up version of W3...
is awesome

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
you're in for a hell of ride still. the expansions are amazing. i just finished Blood & Wine so it's over for me now.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Is it that big an upgrade? I need to really finish my Witcher 3 game, got so far before finally burning out a bit and I was playing after the first set of large patches that made the game run way better after launch and was already impressed. How much better is it? I still havent played any of the DLC so I would love to jump back in as despite the not so great combat and the crappy horse controls I really loved the game.

Is it that big an upgrade? I need to really finish my Witcher 3 game, got so far before finally burning out a bit and I was playing after the first set of large patches that made the game run way better after launch and was already impressed. How much better is it? I still havent played any of the DLC so I would love to jump back in as despite the not so great combat and the crappy horse controls I really loved the game.

For me on PS4 I really notice a difference. It's a genuine masterpiece.

Not many people make games like this.

If you want to lose it all, take off subtitles

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
CDPR are masters of support.
This patch is really awesome.
Game runs great now on the PS4. And looks amazing.

Crayon

Well I still need to get to this game so it's some consolation to know it's gotten better with post-release support.

HStallion

For me on PS4 I really notice a difference. It's a genuine masterpiece.

Not many people make games like this.

If you want to lose it all, take off subtitles

Damn I guess I will have to check this out, I already DLed the patch and I'm finally weening myself off Uncharted 4 with a little bit of Downwell. This will be a good large style game to jump into next especially with the DLC... I guess I can always pick up Doom down the road.

Yes, the inventory tweaks are awesome. The whole menu is so much cleaner and better organised.

This is another great thing to hear as the menus could often be a pain to navigate and confusing on top of that.

Slixshot

Banned
I would like to see a comparison between launch and now for performance. Haven't played it since my first play through but have been thinking about going back.

I had no idea how much they were changing with the patch. It does run a lot better on PS4! The menu still isn't as responsive as it should be but at least there is a lot more on one screen and it's better organized.

I just beat DS3 and so started on the first DLC last night. Got a lot of game ahead so I'm pretty happy.

To me it's been a bit underwhelming after a year break and coming back from playing more fluid games like uncharted and dark souls. It feels a bit clunky. The menus too, not as snappy. But Im sure that won't matter once I start the DLC this afternoon.

Edit: the one thing I did notice was that frame rate felt better.

I'm about 40 hours in and had just got used to the old UI. No denying the new one is better though.

Anyone know where the stats option is hiding after the update? Want to keep track of my play time.

How does it look better? What did they change visually? I don't have my copy with me so I can't try it out.

Sharper. Better fidelity which is the same thing... just better.

I put 100+ hrs in doing every quest before this update, almost at end.

The game now is different. I can see it.

Am used to what it was. It's much better. Am sure there are gaffer's who could explain.

I felt compelled to share it's update and the I have a whole weekend to enjoy!!!!!

YAY

The God

I thought it was just me. I loaded it up for a minute and noticed it ran a lot better on PS4. Can't wait to restart and get back into it.

So hold on, the graphics have been improved for the base game Witcher 3 as well? I knew that the Blood and Wine DLC had improved graphics but the base game too? Any word on Xbox One version?

RedAssedApe

Banned
A year later. So are talking about the base game or the dlc in terms of graphics and performance improvement?

I beat the base game a year ago. Performance was still pretty iffy in certain areas after several patches.

icespide

Banned
the new interface is mostly pretty good but there are some scenarios where the new floating item description thing gets in the way. that's my only gripe

The new menu's look like such a great improvement, the original menu's were such a mess but manageable (to a degree).

New DLC and patch is really tempting me to reinstall the game and start fresh, I should never have stopped playing when I was so far in.

RedSwirl

The new interface also fixed the in-game play time counter. That was my only resource since I wasn't using Steam or GOG Galaxy to play the game.

I only just now discovered I've put 361 hours into Witcher 3.

A year later. So are talking about the base game or the dlc in terms of graphics and performance improvement?

I beat the base game a year ago. Performance was still pretty iffy in certain areas after several patches.

Base game

Still need to finish it. Not Bought DLC yet. But I will

ps3ud0

Yeah my mate said it looked better and played better with the latest patch - always good to hear devs still fixing these things. Ill reward CDPR by buying the season pass at some point...

ps3ud0 8)

I finished W3 on PS4 during the first month of release, its going to be interesting to go back to it for Death March and the expansion packs.

The new interface also fixed the in-game play time counter. That was my only resource since I wasn't using Steam or GOG Galaxy to play the game.

I only just now discovered I've put 361 hours into Witcher 3.

Perhaps dusting my PS4 helped.

But it's a different game IMO.

need GAF to confirm or burn.

It's the GAF way. IMO 👍

HStallion

I finished W3 on PS4 during the first month of release, its going to be interesting to go back to it for Death March and the expansion packs.

I'm debating starting it over on Death March, even the difficulty setting below that is not very tough once you get some armor and weapons, I was basically rolling through most every quest and fight except for some I was severly under leveled for or were just some of the more notoriously pain the ass parts like the fight against the Wraiths during the Bloody Baron Quest.

Ah I guess it wasn't just my imagination after not playing it for a while. Performance was pretty darn good when I got on last night.

Shame I hilariously spend half my available gaming time waiting for patches to download and install nowadays because I take so long in between sessions of most games.

Ah I guess it wasn't just my imagination after not playing it for a while. Performance was pretty darn good when I got on last night.

Shame I hilariously spend half my available gaming time waiting for patches to download and install nowadays because I take so long in between sessions of most games.

Fucking ironing

I did look at the patch info the other day and didn't see anything about graphical upgrades for the base game. But that's a great surprise then.

cackhyena

Yeah, it's just a good quality of life upgrade. Very informative tutorial stuff. Extra quest markers and icon assignments, speed of menus, along with less clutter, color coding for quests. Seems the general frame rate is better on PS4 ( I'm still in the main game). Just an awesome patch all around.

Acinixys

They made the inventory system a dream

Literally every quality of life change you probably wanted was added

Plus the DLCs more than make up for the
poor pacing of the last half of the main game

They really redeemed themselves by fixing all the issues the game had at launch

I had trouble getting into W3 because I find much of the items and UI to be small and rather hard on my eyes on my 50". Since the patch dropped on PS4 it's all I've been playing. It's made the world of a difference to me and I dig the ease of using the menus and increased text size. So yeah, this patch saved the game for me. Now I have the entire main game and DLC to look forward to.

Glad I waited to play til now! These refinements are great.

HStallion

They made the inventory system a dream

Literally every quality of life change you probably wanted was added

Really good to hear, I literally may go home straight from work, pack a bowl and see what they changed, its been months since they last played.

Top Bottom