• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am genuinely stunned. Witcher 3 patch is awesome

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I think you just forgot how good the game looks, OP. I was stunned when I returned to it, but I don't think the patch did anything to the visuals.

Taruranto

If anything, coming back to the game after such a long time really highlighted some of the game problems for me further, especially after replaying some older classics like BG2.

I'm debating starting it over on Death March, even the difficulty setting below that is not very tough once you get some armor and weapons, I was basically rolling through most every quest and fight except for some I was severly under leveled for or were just some of the more notoriously pain the ass parts like the fight against the Wraiths during the Bloody Baron Quest.

Do it. Will consume hundreds of hours if you take of subbies.

Can you commit?

I couldn't. But if I could and felt the feels
.... This game is cinema.

On PS4 right now with this update... it's close to PC high+ IMOP.

Magic

Go slow and tune out or in. Both if allowed.

Yes, the inventory tweaks are awesome. The whole menu is so much cleaner and better organised.
What, what, WHAT?

If so I'm jumping back in.

Managing menus and inventory was a slow toxin that drained my spirits over time.

I play the PS4 version and have no expansion content - will I see these changes in vanilla W3?

DrKelpo

Banned
The new interface also fixed the in-game play time counter. That was my only resource since I wasn't using Steam or GOG Galaxy to play the game.

I only just now discovered I've put 361 hours into Witcher 3.

Did they fix it on ps4 as well?

Carlius

Banned
What, what, WHAT?

Managing menus and inventory was a slow toxin that drained my spirits over time.

tell me what you think man...i love reading peoples reactions to this game cause i am jealous they get to play it for the first time

Really glad to hear this. Thanks to the awesomeness of Overwatch and Doom, I haven't got around to the new DLC, but The Witcher 3 is easily my game of the generation so far, and one of my all time favourites. It really is an incredible game.

DOWN

Banned
Pretty sure they said the new DLC and patches won't change the graphics of the main game

I think you just forgot how good the game looks, OP. I was stunned when I returned to it, but I don't think the patch did anything to the visuals.

Nope. Sorry.

So astonished I was.... I GAF'd

It's better. A lot.

Go DF or investigate me.

But take a look. It's different

I think the menu font is too big for monitor now, but seems perfect for TV.

I play PC version on my TV so I'm very happy with it haha

One thing though - this update appears to have broken recognition of PS4 controllers. Previously I could just plug in my ds4 and I'd get PS4 button icons. Now it defaults to Xbox. Anyone else experiencing this after the Blood and Wine update?

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
What, what, WHAT?

I play the PS4 version and have no expansion content - will I see these changes in vanilla W3?

Yes, patch 1.20 is for the whole game!

What, what, WHAT?

Feel the natural brilliance...

There are other adjectives. But who cares

DEO3

Beat the game back in the day and it was bittersweet. I loved the game, but I got the bad ending for, uh, reasons? It was quite a let down after getting so invested in the story.

That said, I just purchased the expansions and am eager to get back into it, but I can't decide what to do with the unspec'ed character they give you when you start the Hearts of Stone expansion. Back in the day I played an alchemy heavy build, but I remember that being kind of advanced - as well as a bit over powered, for all I know that's no longer viable, or even if it is, I can't remember how to play it.

XTERC

I thought I was imagining the frame rate increase, but it definitely feels more responsive. DF, can you confirm?

Yes, patch 1.20 is for the whole game!
EQjqREH.gif

Well, well. I know what I'm doing soon.

I kid you not.... It got some serious PC master race vibes.

It's not what I bought and played a 100 hrs ago.

FACT

Hmmm

I was already considering reinstalling it. I beat it last year but I have yet to buy the DLCs. Performance on the PS4 last year wasn't awful but it was far from ideal.

Guess I should reinstall and find out for myself.

Raven117

Gold Member
If anything, coming back to the game after such a long time really highlighted some of the game problems for me further, especially after replaying some older classics like BG2.

Thats interesting. For me, coming back to it made me realize just how awesome it really is!

Vinc

Yep, runs great, looks great, and they fixed the UI and menus which are now much snappier and easier to navigate (though still not perfect). I can't wait to dive deeper into Blood & Wine this weekend. I adore CDPR.

TheYanger

The best thing about the new patch is that it gives you a split second before it starts to load icon assets in your inventory, so now you can rapidly cycle through the tabs without it slowing to a crawl while it loads 800 pieces of food I may or may not have picked up. Also right stick to just change fields to the shop etc. Those were two of my biggeest annoyances with the original game.

Load times seem a lot longer, but it's a small price since you only load REALLY long when you swap regions.

GAF....FFS, please end this. Can somebody confirm to me that the PS4 graphics have improved.

Playing Base game. No DLC added. Latest update.

It's chalk and cheese.

Burn me as we do if false.

But F me

What is this magic?

TheYanger

As much as I love the base game, Hearts of Stone is probably my favorite quest line in the whole game.

I just finished HoS lastweek and am like halfway through blood and wine, I have no doubt blood and wine gets more intense as it goes (It's already picked up), and the xpac is OBVIOUSLY insanely larger, but hearts of stone was a truly fucking special questline/expansion. The last few hours of that really resonated with me and felt so god damn real. As much as I loved TW3, I don't think it always makes the characters feel like people you can care about tbh, but HoS did.

brawly

I've played through it on PC and already bought it on PS4, first DLC included. Want to do a full playthrough on PS4, but first read the books.

I've loaded an early save of the base game and the new UI seems much better.

I just finished HoS lastweek and am like halfway through blood and wine, I have no doubt blood and wine gets more intense as it goes (It's already picked up), and the xpac is OBVIOUSLY insanely larger, but hearts of stone was a truly fucking special questline/expansion. The last few hours of that really resonated with me and felt so god damn real. As much as I loved TW3, I don't think it always makes the characters feel like people you can care about tbh, but HoS did.

DLC and NG+ ?

Is it worth it?

I might..... this update helps. It's such an investment. My body says yes, my mind is wondering....

Saying that my body says pills mushrooms and booze..... Sometimes it wins

🎩

I love all the small interface changes. I'm not far into the game. Right on the second "act". The inventory handles like a dream now, the map is better, switching spells looks cleaner, and I'd swear the game seems to run a smidgen better on my Xbone (don't know for sure about the last one).

Melchiah

The improvements sound good. Perhaps it would be a good time to finally play the game, that I've had since the release date. After I've beaten DS3 that is. Just like a year ago, another From game is taking all my gaming time. The good thing is, that I'll get to experience it now in a better form. The bad thing is, that I needlessly bought it last year at a premium price.

Beat the game back in the day and it was bittersweet. I loved the game, but I got the bad ending for, uh, reasons? It was quite a let down after getting so invested in the story.

If possible, can you, or anyone else, say without spoilers what not to do specifically to avoid the bad ending?

epmode

I think there were actually a few graphics improvements. I noticed that things looked different very quickly since I had been playing a lot right before the big patch dropped.

Hope we get some videos soon to see if Xbox One has it as well. I'd try it out for myself if I wasn't in the middle of moving to another house.

Has anyone else in this thread been able to verify that there are in fact graphics changes with this patch besides the OP? I find it a little hard to believe myself. OP must have some good grog. I did hear that the menu and inventory has been overhauled, but I thought that was the extent of it. Not that they added or tweaked the graphics.

I will be called a heretic and crazy but I always thought the graphics had a bit of a shitty edge to them on the PS4. The vegetation in particular looked real bad and didn't fit in with the rest of the games lighting model. It never blew my mind as much as everyone else thought it did. So if this is true, then I'd be amazed!

(Did they actually fix the in-game timer? How could they? It was bugged from putting the PS4 into rest mode. This would be my favorite secret fix if true)

UncleMeat

I just started again this week and finished up my new game + run and the menus are definitely a big improvement but they're still a little slow on xbone.

Tempted to start the DLC but I want to finish all the witcher contracts and ?s this weekend; basically gonna be like Caine in Kung Fu.

Has anyone else in this thread been able to verify that there are in fact graphics changes with this patch besides the OP? I find it a little hard to believe myself. OP must have some good grog. I did hear that the menu and inventory has been overhauled, but I thought that was the extent of it. Not that they added or tweaked the graphics.

I will be called a heretic and crazy but I always thought the graphics had a bit of a shitty edge to them on the PS4. The vegetation in particular looked real bad and didn't fit in with the rest of the games lighting model. It never blew my mind as much as everyone else thought it did. So if this is true, then I'd be amazed!

(Did they actually fix the in-game timer? How could they? It was bugged from putting the PS4 into rest mode. This would be my favorite secret fix if true)

Load up and see.

I told GAF to burn me hot if false

It's astonishing how different. Hence the thread

Roasted chestnuts if old

Prob wrong thread but I've been very LTTP and feel like I'm forced to do the story missions. The next story objective is always in my face and just don't feel comfortable going off and exploring.

Top Bottom