• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am genuinely stunned. Witcher 3 patch is awesome

TheYanger

blood and wine that short? dang.....

It's not short, it's been out for like 5 days, of course people have beaten it.

Prob wrong thread but I've been very LTTP and feel like I'm forced to do the story missions. The next story objective is always in my face and just don't feel comfortable going off and exploring.

Dunno what to say other than, you're not forced, and the game takes place over a period of YEARS, you're not expected to rush through it and you'll cut objectives off from time to time by advancing the story.

Prob wrong thread but I've been very LTTP and feel like I'm forced to do the story missions. The next story objective is always in my face and just don't feel comfortable going off and exploring.

On the flip side you can easily get carried away doing side quests for dozens of hours and over level for story missions. I could be wrong (it's been awhile since I played) but I seem to remember the level requirements for story missions to make a big leap which gave me the mental space to do a ton of side quests without feeling bad.

The new interface also fixed the in-game play time counter. That was my only resource since I wasn't using Steam or GOG Galaxy to play the game.

I only just now discovered I've put 361 hours into Witcher 3.

eeh mine got broken instead, before i had 10 days and 4 hours of game time after the patch i got downgraded to just 4 hours on my level 38 witcher with every mission finished under the heavens including HoS (except gwent shit because i dont like it)

ive clocked more than 10 hours since then though, gonna check again how much time i have.

Falchion

It took me a bit to get used to the new menu layout but all the changes they made are useful, especially being able to read something as soon as you pick it up.

Dunno what to say other than, you're not forced, and the game takes place over a period of YEARS, you're not expected to rush through it and you'll cut objectives off from time to time by advancing the story.

On the flip side you can easily get carried away doing side quests for dozens of hours and over level for story missions. I could be wrong (it's been awhile since I played) but I seem to remember the level requirements for story missions to make a big leap which gave me the mental space to do a ton of side quests without feeling bad.

I'll try again and hide the main objectives from my HUD. Just seems that I'm having to rush my way through the story with the story objectives always being the main focus

SeriousApes

I checked it out last night. It's been a few months since I played so I can't really tell if the graphics or performance have improved, but the updates to the menu are pretty nice. I kinda feel like starting a new game one of these days. I wasn't very far in my current playthrough, just a little bit past the
quest with Kiera Metz in the cave
and midway through Bloody Baron.

sounds like a job for digital foundry

:nudge nudge:

Am looking at my TV and the game am playing is not the same I bought.

AT ALL

GAF kill me if dreaming. Play what I see

It's sooooooooo different from release. Ban me for ever if 1% doubt

Any PS4 PLAYERS in this thread?

Kas

I play on PS4 and I love the patch. Everything is nicer, and smoother.

Not a fan of the little lag between menu switching, but I can deal with it.

Rellik

I play on PS4 and I love the patch. Everything is nicer, and smoother.

Not a fan of the little lag between menu switching, but I can deal with it.

It's a more than a little when you have a million and 1 items in your inventory. It's getting so bad I may have to unload everything into a chest.

I've recently started playing again and am in agreement, can't wait to start the DLC but I've got a long way to go still. It's an amazing game, CDPR knocked it out the park.

K' Dash

Digital Foundry confirmed the game performs and looks better in Toussaint.

So, the guy with the placebo pill can stop spreading bullshit.

Squozen

I bought this on discount a while back and never really started it (on PS4). Sounds like I made the right choice - CDPR games tend to take a while to achieve their final form.

-Horizon-

Hmm are you sure it runs better in the base game? In toussaint yeah but I still get slow downs in north novigrad and whatnot. I ran back and forth through that large northern farm area a few days ago and it was just chugging.

megalowho

Yes, my first impression after loading up Blood and Wine was that I was blown away by how many smart interface tweaks there were. Almost every menu or system seems like it's been touched, some completely reworked with new art and everything. Makes the game feel fresh.

Hard to say about the technical improvements but the draw distance of Toussaint on PS4 feels even more impressive than I remember from the base game. It's put your controller down and stare for a bit good. That one could just be placebo effect unless the devs have mentioned it at some point though.

Flipyap

What, what, WHAT?

If so I'm jumping back in.

Managing menus and inventory was a slow toxin that drained my spirits over time.

I play the PS4 version and have no expansion content - will I see these changes in vanilla W3?
Just don't get too excited. They're better organized and they've added some sanity-preserving hotkeys, but they're still sluggish as all fuck. All of the fuck. The entire fuck.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Yes, there is now a toggle in game options to upscale enemies' levels

Really? Wow that's a pretty serious upgrade. I know some people hate level scaling but honestly I felt the Witcher 3 kind of needed it on anything but what seems to be Death March. By the Bloody Baron questline I was already taking on most quests anywhere near my level without any hassle unless it was something unrelated to fighting and such and more involved with Gwent or dialogue chains and character choices. Hmm this an interesting addition but not sure I will use it since I think I might just restart and play from Death March to keep things challenging.

Just don't get too excited. They're better organized and they've added some sanity-preserving hotkeys, but they're still sluggish as all fuck. All of the fuck. The entire fuck.
It can't be the entire fuck.

In fact I'll make it a point to measure exactly how the fuck much of the fuck less than the entire fuck it is later tonight. For science.

HStallion

Well it seems CDPR has switched from releasing a massive post game patch that affects nearly every aspect of the game from performance to content to gameplay systems to releasing paid expansions and just incrementally improving the game with updates, much more so than a lot of other developers will do and that's nothing against them but more point towards how dedicated these people are to making the game the best it can be. I really really appreaciate to amount of love and care that goes into their games.

Really this just makes me even more excited to see what they do with Cyberpunk 2077. They can take all the lessons learned in both creating the game and the stream lining and enhancing all its systems over time to really make Cyberpunk and even stronger experience. I think we may get something truly special with Cyberpunk if the W3 is the example to go by.

Well it seems CDPR has switched from releasing a massive post game patch that affects nearly every aspect of the game from performance to content to gameplay systems to releasing paid expansions and just incrementally improving the game with updates, much more so than a lot of other developers will do and that's nothing against them but more point towards how dedicated these people are to making the game the best it can be. I really really appreaciate to amount of love and care that goes into their games.

Really this just makes me even more excited to see what they do with Cyberpunk 2077. They can take all the lessons learned in both creating the game and the stream lining and enhancing all its systems over time to really make Cyberpunk and even stronger experience. I think we may get something truly special with Cyberpunk if the W3 is the example to go by.

Neo PS6 ready

which patch are you referring to? =p 1.20?

I never really noticed any performance or technical differences... the new menu UI is a lot better organized but it's still annoyingly slow loading on PS4. the 'auto level' equalization of monsters is a huge improvement for post-ending free roam too but that's not really stunning per se, just a welcomed balanced change hehe

was there a 1.21 overnight or something? the only real performance improvement i saw was last year when they specifically fixed the UI menu loading speed a bit.

not really sure what the topic is referring too hehe Blood & Wine is probably my GOTY so far but I haven't seen any patch improvements that would really make the base game more technically stunning ;p am i missing something? :O

Ravidrath

I know a lot of people are down on the Neo, but these guys seem like the sort that would put out a really killer Neo patch for their older game.

HStallion

I know a lot of people are down on the Neo, but these guys seem like the sort that would put out a really killer Neo patch for their older game.

I'd take 60fps and maybe a bigger draw distance and be totally happy.

Playing through the whole game again for rhe first time since release. It's crazy how different the game is now. They've added so much. And the game is beyond crazy looking in 4k.

UberTag

Sounds like it's time to finally dive in to the entirety of The Witcher 3 on PS4. It's on deck for me once I blow through Trails of Cold Steel and Zero Time Dilemma. Looking forward to seeing what all of the fuss is about.

Yes, this.
i'm pretty much saving my NG+ for a hopeful Neo patch... all I want is higher frame rate and faster loading/UI menu

the last thing especially will make my preferred alchemy build (and constantly loading the Inventory to change concoctions, potions, and oils) soooo much nicer haha

DPB

Is the movement still bad?

There was an alternative movement mode added in a patch last year, but the current patch doesn't make any further changes. If you haven't tried that mode it's much better than it was on release, albeit still somewhat floaty and cumbersome.

KiraXD

oh wow... yeah... im about 400-500 hours into it... just checked out the update...

heres a little bit of whats changed (i didnt have much old inventory pictures or maps.. sorry)

OLD
BJVstSR.png

NEW
Tyg7L2N.png

NEW
(you can see its better organized)
45Znw9O.png

OLD
nRVIMhd.png

NEW
EP1Yjre.png

NEW MAP (allows for better... everything really, sort and cycle every map marker and waypoint)
QEyJR10.png

ohhhhhhhhh what the fuck... well the update destroyed my game... my playtime is bugged:
Apparently i got to the end of the game and level 31 in 9 hours... lol. (It should say 17 days 9hours)
ORnt629.png

Also my quest "Gotta Catch em All" keeps failing every time i load... doesnt matter what save file i load (even really early files where im actively doing it) it loads to a "Quest "Failed"

I have the digital deluxe edition on PS4, but I haven't really played that much of it since launch. How should I be approaching the combat? The aspect seemed weak to me. For reference, I've been enjoying Dark Souls III lately.

HStallion

Yeah those menus are a nice upgrade, wow love the bigger symbols, font and everything. Just seems a lot more clear and easy to read and even the way inventory items are broken up.

Can you hotfix a button to temporarily bring up the HUD for like 3 seconds yet?

I wanted total immersion but hated opening up the pause menu to use the map

Top Bottom