• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I unethical: Donating blood in order to find out if I have a serious STD

Status
Not open for further replies.
One year ago I had a sexual affair with a woman in france and we didnt use protection cause she hated it. The first time we were drunk and I didnt have a condom, then we just kept at it without the condom. We had sex about 20 times total. She told me she was safe but she was a milf and I seriously had doubts, even if she told got tested when she gave birth.

I dont care if I got a curable STD, serves me right for being a dumbass. But the uncurable shit...just as long as it's not HIV/AIDS, I'll take it. The chances are low, 1/1000 each time I had vaginal intercourse with her. And the chance she has it PURELY on a demographic possibility is less than 1%. BUT STILL I HATE IT. It boils in me and the other day I just couldnt take it any more, I needed to know!

Canada's health care system kinda sucks. When I came back from france, I wanted to get tested of course. I had to make an appointment 1.5 months from then and I completely forgot about it.

I live in Montreal but I'm in Toronto for the summer. I went to see a clinic to get tested, they said I need a note from the doctor first. I made an appointment with a doctor. Turns out I have to pay money to see the doctor and get the test and then see what the Quebec government would refund me. The whole thing would take a couple of weeks. I had to call so many people to try and see how much it would cost, why I had to pay in the first place (Ontario has a health care agreement with almost every other province, EXCEPT QUEBEC. We're neighbors for fucks sake!!).

I didnt want to wait any longer though. I heard that when doing a donation, they test the blood for serious shit and tell me within 24 hours if there's anything funny. I just couldn't refuse that.

But I lied on two of the questions they asked me:
-Were you born in Africa (I was born in Algeria and stayed there a total of 6 months, I'm not going to make a whole story of it, my parents aren't algerian or african anyway).
and
-Do you think there's any chance you might have HIV/AIDS?
I said no, knowing that there's a 0.00001% I might.

So what say you GAF? Was I wrong and unethical?

Now I have to wait until 7pm tomorrow to know for sure. And it's killing me.

shuri

Banned
It's pathetic idiots like you that caused the epidemic of hiv infected blood donation of the '80 and '90 in Canada.

theBishop

Banned
You should not be giving blood if you suspect you have an std. I would say that is definitely unethical.

If you live anywhere near a city you should have access to a free clinic. Go there.

Azih said:
Dude can you take a trip back home and get it done?
I work full time and the trip will cost me about 200$ with the train and I can only go on weekends, which means most clinics are closed. It would take too long and I wanted peace of mind dammit.

Yes it was selfish and stupid, but 99.9999% chance the blood is perfectly fine and it could be useful.

There's no free clinics here, I asked. In Canada, it's assumed everyone is covered by social health care, except if you're from quebec and in another province cause everyone hates quebec, dur.

I have regrets, but by this time tomorrow, I'd be happy if I dont hear from them.

theBishop said:
You should not be giving blood if you suspect you have an std. I would say that is definitely unethical.

If you live anywhere near a city you should have access to a free clinic. Go there.

I was going to post this. I know nothing about HIV testing but I've always assumed there were free clinics around somewhere.

And if you actually have the money but were just too lazy to go through the proper channels then yes you are somewhat of a dick.

Ri'Orius

Practically speaking, it should be fine. Last I looked into it, there were around 12 cases per year (in the US; don't know 'bout Canadia) of HIV infection due to dirty blood making it through the screening process and on to donors (and from what I recall, most of that was due to recent HIV infection, so if it's been a year since the time of potential infection, odds are even lower that your infection could make it through screening).

That said, you did just put some random, innocent person at a (rather small) risk of receiving an STD through blood transfusion. And you did this because, even though you've already waited a year, you just couldn't wait another month or two? I'm tempted to say that's unethical. May be irrational (I'd imagine driving a car puts innocent bystanders at greater risk than your actions), but that's my opinion.

And as punishment, I'd just like to point out: if you don't get a call tomorrow telling you they found a problem, then that just means there's a chance that you are infected and just possibly infected someone else. Enjoy your "peace of mind."

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Do they even contact you if they find something in your blood? I just assume they tested it before putting it into use, and if anything throws up a red (hur hur) flag they just chunk it.

shuri said:
Date of Lies is a financial advisor in real life. I hope he can afford the 200$
Dude I'm an intern on a trading floor. I dont make a lot of cash and I have to pay rent in the most expensive city in Canada.

Practically speaking, it should be fine. Last I looked into it, there were around 12 cases per year (in the US; don't know 'bout Canadia) of HIV infection due to dirty blood making it through the screening process and on to donors (and from what I recall, most of that was due to recent HIV infection, so if it's been a year since the time of potential infection, odds are even lower that your infection could make it through screening).

That said, you did just put some random, innocent person at a (rather small) risk of receiving an STD through blood transfusion. And you did this because, even though you've already waited a year, you just couldn't wait another month or two? I'm tempted to say that's unethical. May be irrational (I'd imagine driving a car puts innocent bystanders at greater risk than your actions), but that's my opinion.

And as punishment, I'd just like to point out: if you don't get a call tomorrow telling you they found a problem, then that just means there's a chance that you are infected and just possibly infected someone else. Enjoy your "peace of mind."
This was the response I was looking for. Ethically it's wrong, but statistically it's insignificant.

Do they even contact you if they find something in your blood? I just assume they tested it before putting it into use, and if anything throws up a red (hur hur) flag they just chunk it.

They do, lady told me she contacted a few people about STDs already.

shuri said:
I'm lost and confused right now.

8 days ago you posted this picture saying shee was your girlfriend. Are you having sex with her without having let her know about your sexual history?
She knows everything and we only have protected sex.

Pretty creepy of you to fish out my post history though.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Date of Lies said:
Dude I'm an intern on a trading floor. I dont make a lot of cash and I have to pay rent in the most expensive city in Canada.

This was the response I was looking for. Ethically it's wrong, but statistically it's insignificant.
Statistically you're an asshole.

Get tested the right way.

UraMallas

shuri said:
I'm lost and confused right now.

8 days ago you posted this picture saying she was your girlfriend. Are you having sex with her without having let her know about your sexual history? And now you are too cheap to spend the time/money to get checked?

Or.. maybe..is it that...naahhhhhhh..
Is this true? If so... fuck, you're a real scumbag.

Date of Lies said:
She knows everything and we only have protected sex.
K, I take that back. Still, that's really shady. Even if you know it won't go out and be used after it were to get flagged, it's still shady.

SMH.
That was really stupid and selfish on your part. If you want to get tested then get tested. Don't put others at risk because you are lazy.

UraMallas said:
Is this true? If so... fuck, you're a real scumbag.

K, I take that back. Still, that's really shady. Even if you know it won't go out and be used after it were to get flagged, it's still shady.
you know it's really fucking stupid to infer things out of thin air. I am honest with my girlfriend about everything. She's the one that first gave me the guilt trip about donating just to get tested actually.

But I need my medicine, so go ahead.

Xirj

The fuck is wrong with you OP. There are plenty of places in Toronto that do it for free and much sooner.

Don't turn this shit into Quebec vs. everyone else topic either. Often when I'd have to do health stuff here in Montreal, I'd pay myself and then get an OHIP form and get a refund from Ontario. Not a very complicated process.

I'm assuming it's syphilis, and it's already affecting your judgment. Purposely lying on your application and donating potentially contaminated blood because you're too cheap to clean up after your own indiscretions? You're a real piece of work.

UraMallas

Date of Lies said:
you know it's really fucking stupid to infer things out of thin air. I am honest with my girlfriend about everything. She's the one that first gave me the guilt trip about donating just to get tested actually.

But I need my medicine, so go ahead.
I didn't infer anything. I was asking you directly before making a judgment. What you said was satisfactory to me pertaining to your girl but I still think the blood donations was pretty low. No one likes to get a Q-tip shoved up their peen but you got to take it every once in awhile if you want to get freaky with milfs!

Xirj said:
The fuck is wrong with you OP. There are plenty of places in Toronto that do it for free and much sooner.

Don't turn this shit into Quebec vs. everyone else topic either. Often when I'd have to do health stuff here in Montreal, I'd pay myself and then get an OHIP form and get a refund from Ontario. Not a very complicated process.
I tried man, I tried. If you want to shoot me some locations, please do.

If you want to guilt trip me for the 0.00001% chance I have aids times the 0.00001% chance the test doesnt catch it, than be my guest. I was wrong but don't act as if I killed someone or permanently blinded a child or something.

But I need my guilt trip, so go ahead.

Diablos

Get tested the right way, ffs. Man up. You had unprotected sex numerous times, you are at risk. If you have any self-respect and respect for others, you will get tested before giving blood.

Nakazato

OP WTF. This better be a joke post and even if it is this joke is fucking sick. Go to a free clinic and get your ass tested.

KHarvey16

Date of Lies said:
If you want to guilt trip me for the 0.00001% chance I have aids times the 0.00001% chance the test doesnt catch it, than be my guest. I was wrong but don't act as if I killed someone or permanently blinded a child or something.

But I need my guilt trip, so go ahead.

How about we guilt trip you for being a cheap, irresponsible fucking loser? The time may come and go for the blood bank to call you, but even if they don't call you'll still be childish. I think I might prefer an STD.

KHarvey16 said:
How about we guilt trip you for being a cheap, irresponsible fucking loser? The time may come and go for the blood bank to call you, but even if they don't call you'll still be childish. I think I might prefer an STD.
You're right. What can I say. I was demoralized after hearing a friend of mine got an std, I acted impulsively, but I was wrong.

AkuMifune

Banned
Nah, it's fine. I did the same thing in high school. Having slept with a few "girls of questionable moral character" I was always a bit worried. The day they offered us to get out of class to give blood I decided to kill two birds with one stone.

Got out of class, no STD. But whomever got my blood got a lot of free drugs! :D

yuna55

AkuMifune said:
Nah, it's fine. I did the same thing in high school. Having slept with a few "girls of questionable moral character" I was always a bit worried. The day they offered us to get out of class to give blood I decided to kill two birds with one stone.

rash5smallX.jpg

AkuMifune said:

That doesn't make it fine, it just makes you a douche too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom