• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AM2R: The Metroid 2 HD remake Nintendo never gave us comes out August 6th!

The developers should have stealth released the remake, now I'm worried that Nintendo will come hammering down on this. Metroid 2 is the only Metroid game I never played, I'm looking forward to this to give me a reason to play it.

OmegaDL50

Well, this has been openly in development for years, and he's released many demos. Maybe they're ignoring this one because it's too damn good? :D

Streets of Rage Remake was also in open development for 3 to 4 years and it wasn't until the full release outside of beta that Sega finally decide to do a C&D on the project.

This isn't the only example of a company halting a fan project nearing completion and a C&D happening just right before it's out of beta release.

Crimson Echoes is another example as well.

Hopefully nothing happens to AM2R, but there is no guarantee that last minute pulling of the plug happens like a few other projects.

Wanderer5

Demo seem pretty neat enough, despite the controls being a bit wonky, even with a controller.

Nintendo not sending this a C&D is like saying; I hope you guys enjoy, because we're never planning to make another one of these anyway!

Lol, that would be a depressing thought.

Jaymageck

This looks outstanding. Seems to have been crafted with a similar level of polish as Zero Mission.

That being said the original game is really, really boring now so it'd be an accomplishment if they make it interesting for the whole experience.

DonMigs85

If they changed the name to Mocktroid and didn't use any of Nintendo's sprites would it be safe from any C&D?

DonMigs85

Oh the queen does look pretty decent
news-am2r-queen.jpg

Kindekuma

Banned
Man, I'd love to play this game. Metroid II is actually a really good Metroid game, it's just under appreciated IMO.

Glad to see it get a Zero Mission visual remake with a map.

AmyS

I just tried out the demo. This looks & sounds really, really good. Will buy, if that's still possible.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Although it's not being sold...if it's a 1:1 remake and not an original game based on Metroid 2 (like a Metroid 2 2), couldn't it theoretically take away from Virtual Console sales of Metroid 2? I could see Nintendo wanting this stopped for that reason.

Nairume

Banned
Your link shows almost all of them collected money or did egregiously stupid shit (like registering SuperMarioBros.org) so it seems like the answer is no for the most part
Not to mention at least one of those wasn't even conclusively Nintendo actually doing a C&D.

That such a "top 10" list has to do so much reaching to actually fill out a list of projects that Nintendo has taken down says a lot about how lax they normally are with fan projects.

Mory Dunz

I haven't read the thread yet, but I'm going to go out on a limb and assume:

People mentioning C&D this and C&D that without knowing what they're talking about?

VariantX

Nintendo's had like 10 years to do something.

Nintendo or any other company can do a C & D for any reason at any time. Better to stealth release this than give a whole month for the knowledge to spread around until Nintendo's lawyers get wind of it. We can only hope that if the fact that the creators don't plan to monetize it in any way protects this game.

Rich!

Jesus Christ people, stop with the C&D stuff. Nintendo do not shut down fan projects like this unless they are sold for a profit. I cannot recall a single instance where Nintendo has C&D'd a ROM hack or fan project like this, ever.

And before anyone says OOT 2D, that was the creator being an ass and trying to get out of the project. Nintendo didn't do shit. Nintendo did recently take down a browser version of SMB that was playable in widescreen - but that was essentially piracy and affecting their bottom line. Pokemon is also out of their hands, as the Pokemon Company issue the C&Ds.

Look at smwcentral.net! Thousands of hacks! Full disassembly of Mario World and Yoshis Island with the code hosted online! Been running over a decade! No C&Ds. Ever.

What about Zelda Classic? That's gotta be shut down by now right? Nope, still going!

Finally, here's Nintendo saying this on one occasion, but they have made their stance very clear many other times:

Nintendo big boss Satoru Iwata admitted that it was hard to draw any definitive line on the issue, because there were no "clear-cut" criteria with which to judge. Still, was it fair to punish people who just did things because they loved Nintendo's games? "Of course, we cannot say that we can give tacit approval to any and all the activities which threaten our intellectual properties. But on the other hand, it would not be appropriate if we treated people who did something based on affection for Nintendo, as criminals."

If there was any sort of defining line, said Iwata, it was "whether the expression in question socially diminishes the dignity or value of our intellectual properties or not." In that case, Nintendo would have to take action - as it did in April when it killed a fan-developed Pokemon MMOG.

So as long as whatever you're doing doesn't "diminish the dignity or value" of Nintendo's properties, it looks like you're good to go, Mario and Zelda fans.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/meeting/100629qa/05.html

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.212334-Nintendo-Doesnt-Want-to-Shut-Down-Fan-Projects

So, please - can we stop with this stuff? It happens in literally every thread regarding Nintendo fan projects.

OmegaDL50

Jesus Christ people, stop with the C&D stuff. Nintendo do not shut down fan projects like this unless they are sold for a profit. I cannot recall a single instance where Nintendo has C&D'd a ROM hack or fan project like this, ever.

And before anyone says OOT 2D, that was the creator being an ass and trying to get out of the project. Nintendo didn't do shit.

Look at smwcentral.net! Thousands of hacks! Full disassembly of Mario World and Yoshis Island with the code hosted online! Been running over a decade! No C&Ds. Ever.

Finally, here's Nintendo saying this on one occasion, but they have made their stance very clear many other times:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/meeting/100629qa/05.html

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.212334-Nintendo-Doesnt-Want-to-Shut-Down-Fan-Projects

So, please - can we stop with this stuff? It happens in literally every thread regarding Nintendo fan projects and I'm quite sick of it.

While I agree with you to an extent, Sega also had a similar stance towards fan games, with the ever present Sonic Retro which also has tons of fan games and rom hack projects.

Streets of Rage Remake was project in open development for a few years with even multiple beta releases. It was not until just before the release to the final non-beta release did it get hit with a C&D, despite this the project was released in some manner, so AM2R could easy be released in a similar manner disregarding if Nintendo does something, how unlikely that is.

So a long term existing fan community being ignored and allow to do what they want to do for years isn't a guarantee of any potential project being taken down.

There is always a case it could happen, regardless how unlikely it may be. Even so like I said AM2R would probably be released in some fashion anyways, so no big deal.

Boney

Banned
I want to be more excited but then I remember it's not a rom hack and it's a PC game.

Sad face, somebody halp

mhayes86

Holy crap, this is still a thing!? I remember playing a demo of it years ago in community college. I forgot all about it and pretty much expected it to either have been shut down or the dev abandon it ages ago. If it actually gets released, color me excited!

Rich!

I want to be more excited but then I remember it's not a rom hack and it's a PC game.

Sad face, somebody halp

My PC is hooked up to my 55" HDTV and I'll be playing this on that, using a Wii U Pro Controller. Or maybe a SNES pad.

Do the same and enjoy

Galamauth

Yeah, this. It's getting pretty lame to come into any fan game thread and get the equivalent of people farting on the game with a C&D comment and nothing else.

Anyway, this game has me pumped to replay the whole series. I've been putting it off just for it's release, it'll cap off the Metroid Prime trilogy run nicely. It does take place after Corruption chronologically, right? It's been years since I've played the original on Game Boy and I remember that being the least fun Metroid to play.

Streets of Rage Remake was project in open development for a few years with even multiple beta releases. It was not until just before the release to the final non-beta release did it get hit with a C&D, despite this the project was released in some manner, so AM2R could easy be released in a similar manner disregarding if Nintendo does something, how unlikely that is.

And Sega must have stopped caring about their C&D on SoRR altogether because you can google "Streets of Rage Remake" and download the game directly of the StreetsofRageOnline fan site with the second link found.

OmegaDL50

And Sega must have stopped caring about their C&D on SoRR altogether because you can google "Streets of Rage Remake" and download the game directly of the StreetsofRageOnline fan site with the second link found.

The game was on hundreds of websites before the official BomberGames forums were closed down. Regardless closing down Bombergames and halting further development beyond the 5.0 version isn't going to happen, so Sega got what they want in a fashion.

It's not a matter of Sega not caring, but it a matter of effort involved to prevent the circulation of the leak to begin with. Do you honestly expect Sega to scour torrents and a dozen plus file transfer websites, in response of said leak. Come on man.

I'm so ready for this. SO READY. The only Metroid game I never played.

Nintendo not sending this a C&D is like saying; I hope you guys enjoy, because we're never planning to make another one of these anyway!

That would explain why Project M's never gotten a C&D LMAO

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Nintendo still sells Metroid 2.

I would be shocked if this ever saw release.

GamerJM

Banned
I'm so ready for this. SO READY. The only Metroid game I never played.

That would explain why Project M's never gotten a C&D LMAO

We actually don't know what went on with PM. I theorize it never got a C&D and the PMBR just disbanded because they got into contact with a lawyer and reached the conclusion that what they were doing was very illegal and they stopped out of fear (judging by the evidence we have), not because Nintendo did anything, but I guess we'll never know.

Nairume

Banned
We actually don't know what went on with PM. I theorize it never got a C&D and the PMBR just disbanded because they got into contact with a lawyer and reached the conclusion that what they were doing was very illegal and they stopped out of fear (judging by the evidence we have), not because Nintendo did anything, but I guess we'll never know.
Which is why PM's inclusion in that "top 10 C&D'd fan projects" list is dumb, since that seems to very specifically not be a C&D

Rich!

Incoming cease and desist.

No.

Just out of curiosity, I just totalled up the posts that were purely about C&D in this thread. Out of a total 81 posts at that point, 41 were posting purely about the game being shut down. That's over half the thread. Half the thread is shit. And yes, I admit, I contributed to a couple.

What's the point of any fan project threads here when half the topic is filled with this kind of crap? I see the same with emulation threads where people repeatedly denounce it as wrong and illegal.

Coming into a thread just to say LOL THIS GONNA GET SHUT DOWN isn't clever. It isn't correct. It's tiring.
Sorry guys.

Boney

Banned
No.

Just out of curiosity, I just totalled up the posts that were purely about C&D in this thread. Out of a total 81 posts at that point, 41 were posting purely about the game being shut down. That's over half the thread. Half the thread is shit. And yes, I admit, I contributed to a couple.

What's the point of any fan project threads here when half the topic is filled with this kind of crap? I see the same with emulation threads where people repeatedly denounce it as wrong and illegal.
I think peeps got legitimately traumatized with SE

OmegaDL50

Which is why PM's inclusion in that "top 10 C&D'd fan projects" list is dumb, since that seems to very specifically not be a C&D

One popular theory going around was Wii homebrew development was wearing down and some of the folks wanted to move on to other potential projects.

Although from time at GBATemp there doesn't seem to be any substance of this rumor to begin with.

So I'm just going *shrug*

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Would be interesting to know what really went down though.

jman2050

Zelda Classic has been around for almost two decades with nary a peep from Nintendo, I'm pretty sure this project will come out just fine.

Top Bottom