• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AM2R: The Metroid 2 HD remake Nintendo never gave us comes out August 6th!

hypotc

bigbannerV2.png

The HD remake Nintendo never gave us is almost here!

Another Metroid 2 Remake is a total remake of Metroid 2. It's being created by mainly one guy, who's been developing it for years. I've played the demo myself, and the game looks and feels amazing. All of the music and sound effects have been redone aswell.

The release date has just been announced, and it's coming out August 6th! (source)

If you're curious, I recommend checking out the demo from 2015, which can be downloaded here:

http://metroid2remake.blogspot.no/p/project-am2r-demo-1.html

Some screenshots I took from the demo:

Edit:

Before some of you scream "C&D!!", please consider reading this post:

Jesus Christ people, stop with the C&D stuff. Nintendo do not shut down fan projects like this unless they are sold for a profit. I cannot recall a single instance where Nintendo has C&D'd a ROM hack or fan project like this, ever.

And before anyone says OOT 2D, that was the creator being an ass and trying to get out of the project. Nintendo didn't do shit. Nintendo did recently take down a browser version of SMB that was playable in widescreen - but that was essentially piracy and affecting their bottom line. Pokemon is also out of their hands, as the Pokemon Company issue the C&Ds.

Look at smwcentral.net! Thousands of hacks! Full disassembly of Mario World and Yoshis Island with the code hosted online! Been running over a decade! No C&Ds. Ever.

What about Zelda Classic? That's gotta be shut down by now right? Nope, still going!

Finally, here's Nintendo saying this on one occasion, but they have made their stance very clear many other times:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/meeting/100629qa/05.html

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.212334-Nintendo-Doesnt-Want-to-Shut-Down-Fan-Projects

So, please - can we stop with this stuff? It happens in literally every thread regarding Nintendo fan projects.

Pakkidis

How has Nintendo not shut this down yet?

Regardless, this looks good. I'm always impressed when people have such passion for games they love and do things like this.

Gvitor

It'sbeenathousandyears.jpg

I've been following this project for so long... glad it's finally close to release. Looks fantastic!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Gives Nintendo a month to send a C&D. Why people never learn to release stuff like this before announcing it?

This remake has been public knowledge for YEARS....

A decade maybe? It's been a really, really long time.

RK128

Getting it day-zero :). Nice to see Metroid getting its anniversary celebrated from a passionate fan project. Reminds me of the Sonic Fan Game projects like After the Sequel/Before the Sequel and Sonic Megamix; fan games doing the IP justice.

hypotc

Gives Nintendo a month to send a C&D. Why people never learn to release stuff like this before announcing it?

Well, this has been openly in development for years, and he's released many demos. Maybe they're ignoring this one because it's too damn good? :D

How has Nintendo not shut this down yet?

Regardless, this looks good. I'm always impressed when people have such passion for games they love and do things like this.

Nintendo typically doesn't go after this stuff unless it's being sold. There are hundreds of Pokemon fangames and romhacks that they have never went after.

Still, I would've been more cautious.

RK128

Well, this has been openly in development for years, and he's released many demos. Maybe they're ignoring this one because it's too damn good? :D

Or, because they know they are already on very thin ice regarding the Metroid IP already :l. Everything they do with it now only leads to backlash, so better they shut up about the IP and let fans do what they want with it.

I could easily see headlines of people cursing Nintendo and whatnot if they Cease & Desist this fan project. So, I doubt they will shut it down. Still getting it the moment it goes live, just in case that does happen however.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Wow, I thought this would never come out.

Please don't C&D it

Voidguts

ugh, if it was this close to releasing why didn't he just wait until the release, so people could have it and pass it around? i feel like nintendo is gonna yank this shit down.

Wow. I used to follow this pretty religiously a few years back. I can't believe it's finally coming out. It felt really good from the demos I played. Can't wait to play it.

dogen

ugh, if it was this close to releasing why didn't he just wait until the release, so people could have it and pass it around? i feel like nintendo is gonna yank this shit down.

The game's development has been public knowledge for almost 10 years.

That's great. Will check it out for sure.

One person alone is putting more work in Metroid in the last years than the whole Nintendo =(

vibbon

Neo Member
Damn, my friend has been spriting off and on this project for years now and I always gave him shit that it would never happen lol.

Super exciting news, though. The various demos I've played have all felt really good and the game has only gotten tighter.

Luigi87

When I was watching the Metroid Zero Mission run today during SDGQ I was wondering why Nintendo hasn't done this.

At least someone did!

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Holy shit this has been in development since at least 2009.

I think I still have the first playable demo around here on one of my externals.

Fisty

We should probably let this thread drop off the front page, if AM2R gets too much attention before release we might be screwed.

TimmiT

Oh wow, I remember seeing this and being very impressed. But I thought it would never be finished like the majority of fangames I usually see. Great to see that it's coming out.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Great birthday present. It's been amazing following this project all these years.

Lol at people talking as if this project is new. AM2R has been public for years. I have two separate working demos of it on my computer. This game didn't get C&D

Many times

If this ever makes it to release, download it fast cuz it will be gone soon

then again, Nintendo forgot this franchise, so maybe they wont even recognize this

A bunch of those were people trying to make money, using titles (or websites) that could have easily been confused as official products or not taken down by Nintendo at all.

Zaptruder

Banned
Nintendo not sending this a C&D is like saying; I hope you guys enjoy, because we're never planning to make another one of these anyway!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
A bunch of those were people trying to make money, using titles (or websites) that could have easily been confused as official products or not taken down by Nintendo at all.

Yep. Setting up Patreons and donations for fan projects is the quickest way to run into legal action.

I wouldn't be surprised either way with this one. On one hand it's been publicly in development for years, on the other it is a straight up enhanced remake of an official product which is also a prime C&D target.

Hope it doesn't though, because I really want to play this.

Many times

If this ever makes it to release, download it fast cuz it will be gone soon

then again, Nintendo forgot this franchise, so maybe they wont even recognize this

Your link shows almost all of them collected money or did egregiously stupid shit (like registering SuperMarioBros.org) so it seems like the answer is no for the most part

platina

Hurry up and release it before the inevitable Nintendo no fun allowed. Hilarious they don't do these classical remakes themselves. Downloading this as soon as it becomes available.

Top Bottom