• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazing Spider-Man Game Informer details

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
GameInformer recently got a hold of the newest Spider-Man game for the first three hours. I thought I'd post anything I can dig up on it since there hasn't been a lot of info on the game even though it comes out in under 2 months. If you're looking forward to the game, I recommend finding a copy of the magazine. The screenshots look really great. I'm not sure what it is, but I think the lighting and the details on his suit look real good for a super hero game.

•One screenshot features Dr. Connors helping Spider-Man out
•Random crimes ( bank heists, muggings, and car chases) are spread throughout the city. I didn't see anything about 'MY BALLOON' though
•The game is after the movie. You could potentially have a few things spoiled in relation to Parker and other people featured in the movie since this takes place afterwards. That said, it's the same exact Spider-Man story we've been told a million times before, so it's not like the movie's not already spoiled for any Spider-Man fans.
•The game has a built in reader. You can unlock full comic book issues to read in the game such as Amazing Fantasy #15(Spidey's first appearance)
•The game tries to capture Spider-Man's lucha libre inspired moveset from the movie.
•Near the beginning you'll see capsules with different Spider-Man villains, such as Rhino, Vermin, and Scorpia. Rhino has already been confirmed as a villain for the game and as a Gamestop pre-order bonus mode where you play as Rhino
•Been in production for nearly two years
•The combat is straight up Batman. There's a melee button and a counter button. When you fill it up, you get to use special attacks like Batman's in Arkham City. Spider-Man also floats with punches like Batman, but GI claims he's far more acrobatic when he does it.
•Web zip can be used to get out of a sticky situation and hide. So apparently there is some sort of stealth.
•There's a typical experience system for levelling combos and you can find things called web techs that give you new abilities or upgrade them like being able to web people to the wall.
•Many of the story missions take place in doors in their own linear levels
•Some of the side content involves taking photos of locations, performing tricks for a videographer, and finding comic books.
•The citizens will say things to you based on things you've done in the story
•Seamus Kevin Fahey(Spartacus: Gods of the Arena and the newer Battlestar Galactica) helped with the story
•Web rush slows down time as a sort of Spider Sense. It can be used for moving through Manhattan, but it can also be used in combat.

That's all I got, but the next page has a Lego version of Sinestro and he looks adorable.

Poyunch

We'll see if it's actually reaches the levels of Spider-man 2 (which honestly only got the dodging and web-swinging part right) or just continues the downward spiral, Ultimate Spider-man being an exception.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Just put the swinging mechanics of Spidey 2 in the game and I'm sold.

Claude

Catalina's bitch
GameInformer recently got a hold of the newest Spider-Man game for the first three hours. I thought I'd post anything I can dig up on it since there hasn't been a lot of info on the game even though it comes out in under 2 months. If you're looking forward to the game, I recommend finding a copy of the magazine. The screenshots look really great. I'm not sure what it is, but I think the lighting and the details on his suit look real good for a super hero game.

•One screenshot features Dr. Connors helping Spider-Man out
•Random crimes ( bank heists, muggings, and car chases) are spread throughout the city. I didn't see anything about 'MY BALLOON' though
•The game is after the movie. You could potentially have a few things spoiled in relation to Parker and other people featured in the movie since this takes place afterwards. That said, it's the same exact Spider-Man story we've been told a million times before, so it's not like the movie's not already spoiled for any Spider-Man fans.
•The game has a built in reader. You can unlock full comic book issues to read in the game such as Amazing Fantasy #15(Spidey's first appearance)
•The game tries to capture Spider-Man's lucha libre inspired moveset from the movie.
•Near the beginning you'll see capsules with different Spider-Man villains, such as Rhino, Vermin, and Scorpia. Rhino has already been confirmed as a villain for the game and as a Gamestop pre-order bonus mode where you play as Rhino
•Been in production for nearly two years
•The combat is straight up Batman. There's a melee button and a counter button. When you fill it up, you get to use special attacks like Batman's in Arkham City. Spider-Man also floats with punches like Batman, but GI claims he's far more acrobatic when he does it.
•Web zip can be used to get out of a sticky situation and hide. So apparently there is some sort of stealth.
•There's a typical experience system for levelling combos and you can find things called web techs that give you new abilities or upgrade them like being able to web people to the wall.
•Many of the story missions take place in doors in their own linear levels
•Some of the side content involves taking photos of locations, performing tricks for a videographer, and finding comic books.
•The citizens will say things to you based on things you've done in the story
•Seamus Kevin Fahey(Spartacus: Gods of the Arena and the newer Battlestar Galactica) helped with the story
•Web rush slows down time as a sort of Spider Sense. It can be used for moving through Manhattan, but it can also be used in combat.

That's all I got, but the next page has a Lego version of Sinestro and he looks adorable.

Sounds good. If no one makes an OT for this game, then I'll create it. Unless there is someone who called dibs on it already.

Quick question: Will there be unlockable costumes? It won't be a deal breaker for me, but it'd be nice to change up Spidey's costume rather than be stuck with the traditional red and blue.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
What's with the reverence for Spiderman 2's swinging. Did Spiderman 3 fuck it up or something?
It was challenging and rewarding. It wasnt just an autopilot, you actually had to try, and when you succeeded, it felt so good.

In retrospect, it was really complicated and convoluted for simple swinging, but I guess that's why we loved it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Sounds good. If no one makes an OT for this game, then I'll create it. Unless there is someone who called dibs on it already.

Quick question: Will there be unlockable costumes? It won't be a deal breaker for me, but it'd be nice to change up Spidey's costume rather than be stuck with the traditional red and blue.

I think the only other people who would make an OT would be me, and I have no urge to make OTs. So go for it.

I would be shocked if there weren't unlockable costumes in a Spider-Man game, but I guess since the suit has damage appearance now, it might be the only one. I'm sure they will add some though. Hopefully his FF suit.

Claude

Catalina's bitch
I think the only other people who would make an OT would be me, and I have no urge to make OTs. So go for it.

I would be shocked if there weren't unlockable costumes in a Spider-Man game, but I guess since the suit has damage appearance now, it might be the only one. I'm sure they will add some though. Hopefully his FF suit.

Alright, I'll make the OT when it is time.

As for costumes, I'd be happy with The Amazing Bag-Man :p

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Alright, I'll make the OT when it is time.

He was in Edge of Time, I think. They usually throw that suit in there.

You know, if Activision was smart, they'd make an awesome Spider-Man game with replayability then DLC the shit out of some costumes. It'd be easy money from kids and adults.

FF suit
Scarlet Spider
Miles suit
Black suit
Red/Gold Iron Man suit
Black/Red suit from the late 90s

etc etc

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Movie tie-ins are rarely good so I'm hoping this one comes out of nowhere and surprises me. But I do wish a studio of Rockysteady's caliber would tackle a legit Spider-Man game. The potential is there.

Movie tie-ins are rarely good so I'm hoping this one comes out of nowhere and surprises me. But I do wish a studio of Rockysteady's caliber would tackle a legit Spider-Man game. The potential is there.
when the game was announced it was already in development for a year.

Poyunch

Arkham City did it. But um... don't do what Arkham City did with costumes, okay Activision?

Hell, I'll get it.

I still play Web of Shadows on an almost yearly basis. Granted, it's mostly because I think Luke Cage driving a tiny car is hilarious.

I started playing Spider-Man 2 again recently, after not having touched it in years, and it's still amazing. My muscle memory had me swinging and boosting and long-jumping again almost immediately; it's just so perfect. I can't believe they never built on that swinging system in any of the forty subsequent Spider-Man games. Just drop it straight in there. The Spider-Man 3 game was close, and it actually had a cool change to the Web Zip where you could do it by yanking on the right trigger instead of having to pull both triggers at once, but the rest of that game was just garbage.

Claude

Catalina's bitch

You know, if Activision was smart, they'd make an awesome Spider-Man game with replayability then DLC the shit out of some costumes. It'd be easy money from kids and adults.

FF suit
Scarlet Spider
Miles suit
Black suit
Red/Gold Iron Man suit
Black/Red suit from the late 90s

etc etc

I'd be okay with this. Throw in a couple of missions involving some old foes (Molten Man, Kaine, Tombstone, etc.) and consider me sold.

I'll be purchasing this game day one anyways.

Like that you can read actual comic issues.

That's what I thought. It's a nice touch for all Spider-Man fans.

Smellycat

The first time I read the title and the OP, I thought to myself, "what is so amazing about these details?". Sorry, it is a little late over here. haha

This game has so much potential.

And on paper it sounds amazing. Spiderman 2 open world+Batman combat sounds like it was meant to be, but i'm still very cautious about this. =/

Yeah the Arkham style combat would work for Spider-Man, just more web based + atheletic than the hand to hand/submission stuff that ol Bats does.

I really want this to turn out well.

fernoca

ShockingAlberto said:
I liked Shattered Dimensions more than the open-world Spider-Mans.
Yep, same here. It was quite surprising what happened between Shattered Dimensions (awesome in every aspect) to Edge of Time (meh!). Even the DS Shattered Dimensions was great and had great production values.

Here's hoping that things go well with this one.

zoner said:
Definitely on Shattered Dimensions, not sure if he was on Edge of Time too.
5Ug2b.png

What's with the reverence for Spiderman 2's swinging. Did Spiderman 3 fuck it up or something?

Only game to have momentum, skill & weight based web swinging physics.
The rest of the Spider-Man games, you could turn or accelerate in any direction on a dime. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM!

Funny thing is Batman AA/AC combat is a directly ripped off from Ultimate Spider-Man.
So it comes full circle.

Omega

Banned
Sounds great, but Activision has done nothing with Spiderman who is my second favorite Marvel hero.

Some of this sounds promising, but they'll find a way to screw it up.

Well, Rocksteady wasn't "of Rocksteady's calibre" until they made Batman. Every studio has to be given a chance to show that they can play with the big boys.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
There's also a screen of Spider-Man hanging upside down with the peace sign. I'd love to have it as a wallpaper.

friz898

notbad.jpg

For me, it is as simple as this.

The game is only STILL on my radar because I am straight up hoping for another Arkham City, this time with webslinging instead of gliding from building to building.

If they pretty much make this an AC clone with a Spidey costume, then I'm good. Sounds like they are doing exactly that.

But in all reality. This company doesnt exactly make Game of the Year type games anymore. Still not a Day 1, but definitely worth of being added to a backlog.

Top Bottom