• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazing video game technological achievements

RetroGameAudio

Neo Member
The rotoscoping in Out of This World / Another World (1991):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhGtYfpmxyY

nnXs0ep.gif

I haven't played Soul Reaver but if that's the case why does ND have the award?

Not in this case specifically.

Guinness can in fact, get things wrong. Soul Reaver hid some loading in game behind the door animations, the rest was done on the fly.

In fact, Eurogamer did a specific article highlighting this particular thing in reference to the DF video.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-soul-reaver-legacy-of-kain-the-genesis-of-todays-open-world-epics

Grand Theft Auto V's graphics on 360 and PS3. Yeah, the frame rate wasn't great, but god did that game push those systems to their absolute limit in 2012.

The first Elite game was a few thousand kilobytes of code if I remember correctly. And the first Civilization game fit on a floppy disk - crazy, considering the depth and scope of the game.

Tape based Elite fit completely into 32k including funky mixed b/w high res & colour custom display buffer.

32768 bytes

32 thousand bytes

256 thousand bits

Some of the stuff Metroid Prime did on the Gamecube was pretty insane, even small things like how the ripple effects when shooting and running through water weren't textures but the actual surface model of the water moving.

primeugenegc7.jpg

Falchion

Some of the stuff Metroid Prime did on the Gamecube was pretty insane, even small things like how the ripple effects when shooting and running through water weren't textures but the actual surface model of the water moving.

primeugenegc7.jpg

Yeah Prime blew me away. Also being able to zoom in on characters in Melee and see all the crazy details in their character models was wild.

Watching DF Retro's excellent recent shadow of the colossus episode made me appreciate what an impressive feet the inverse kinematics (i.e. The feet having the appropriate configuration on the appropriate sloping surface) in that game were for the time.

1-565x300.png

A minor thing, but SOTC is a game of minor things that add up to everything.

Yeah Prime blew me away. Also being able to zoom in on characters in Melee and see all the crazy details in their character models was wild.

In Smash 4 they actually replace the models with higher quality ones when you pause.

I wonder if Melee had that as well.

Seeing a game as big as Breath of the Wild being run on such a thin handheld device is fucking magic to me. I studied computer science in college, work as a software engineer, and have a technical interest in how games tick...all that and it still blows my mind.

EDIT: I was an 80s kid, grew up with the NES, Game Boy, SNES, N64, etc. When the GBA came out and it was Super Nintendo graphics but PORTABLE my mind exploded. Zelda (and other games) on Switch gives me a similar reaction.

vvvvvvv Haha, so true

Mael

Guinness can in fact, get things wrong. Soul Reaver hid some loading in game behind the door animations, the rest was done on the fly.

In fact, Eurogamer did a specific article highlighting this particular thing in reference to the DF video.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-soul-reaver-legacy-of-kain-the-genesis-of-todays-open-world-epics

I can vouch for that one.
Soul Reaver did that on psx and dreamcast.
I don't know how they missed that when that particular talking point was pretty heavily used in the marketing of the game.
I mean even CNN talked about it in 99!
One of the most impressive discoveries while playing Soul Reaver is the seamless transition between environments, with no noticeable load times. Kudos to the developers for pulling it off.

Kindekuma

Banned

primeugenegc7.jpg

Oh man, Prime in 2002 was a technical wonder. Solid 60FPS, hi density geometry for each area to be loaded in, lighting, visual and beam effects, hell even seeing Samus's reflection in the visor in bright spots was cool as hell.

pswii60

Oh man, Prime in 2002 was a technical wonder. Solid 60FPS, hi density geometry for each area to be loaded in, lighting, visual and beam effects, hell even seeing Samus's reflection in the visor in bright spots was cool as hell.
It was visually impressive but sadly tainted by the annoying loading times at door-entries.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Horizon Zero Dawn. From the skin pores of character models...
...to the amazing detail of the environments...

...to the vast size of it all...

Eh. I feel this isn't in the spirit of the thread. Horizon is a graphical showpiece, sure, but it's what you expect first-party, AAA-budget PS4 games to look in 2017. Not to beat a dead horse, but Crysis's jungles looked as lush and even more alive than Horizon's in 2007. Is it actually doing something technical that barely any other game, if any at all, hasn't done?

I was impressed with Battlefield 3 on Xbox 360.
The game performed really well, looked amazing, had huge scale, and extremely dynamic environments.
As with any EA game, this is obviously referring to after a couple of performance patches.

Halo 5's engine is also extremely impressive. There are huge open environments, tons of action, dozens of AI creatures. The graphics are really pretty (albeit some glaring LOD artifacts). And it all runs at a constant 60 FPS in campaign and multiplayer, on the Xbox One.

The Forge mode is a technical achievement as well. There are thousands of different pieces of structure, decent scripting, performance meters, etc.

ss_lemonade

Wreckless the Yakuza Missions on the xbox. That was probably the first time in a game I've seen real time environment reflections on a car. Really stable framerate too with all the stuff going on. The sequel was impressive too with 720p output and HDR, though I think they had to tone down other effects to get there

Eh. I feel this isn't in the spirit of the thread. Horizon is a graphical showpiece, sure, but it's what you expect first-party, AAA-budget PS4 games to look in 2017. Not to beat a dead horse, but Crysis's jungles looked as lush and even more alive than Horizon's in 2007. Is it actually doing something technical that barely any other game, if any at all, hasn't done?
Doing this:

ps_messages_20170520_neszl.jpg

ps_messages_20170520_oks8y.jpg

ps_messages_20170520_cxs8k.jpg

...on "5+ year old laptop tech" is pretty impressive. (These are my shots on an original PS4, not Pro)

I particularly love the detail on each mech: the worn look, the tech, the articulation; all without goofy clipping or immersion breaking oddities like that.

SNES_Doom_Box_Art.jpg

Yeah, Doom on the SNES isn't the best port of the game, but the fact that it exists is kind of amazing. Not only that, but its levels are closer to the PC version than the 32X/Jaguar/PS1 version.

Fularu

Banned
The first Elite game was a few thousand kilobytes of code if I remember correctly. And the first Civilization game fit on a floppy disk - crazy, considering the depth and scope of the game.

It's a few tens of Kilobytes for Elite and 4 disks for Civilization (I still have my copy). 5 For the VGA/Aga versions

Ne0n

Banned
For me it has to be seeing the source engine in action for the first time back in 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb-hYJmAaZE

since, the last thing to totally wow me has to be playing Wipeout 2048 on the vita, the beautiful OLED screen coupled with ps3esque visuals in such a small device (nearly 6 years ago) was pretty incredible to me, criminally underrated game too.

wipeout-2048-ps-vita-screenshots-7.jpg

large.jpg

lumzi23

Elite Dangerous is the first game I am aware of that recreates a realistic 1:1 scale simulation of the Milky Way. You can go from one end of the galaxy to the other moving from star system to star system.

Also one of the Rogue Squadron games on Gamecube as far as I know was the first game to use Displacement Mapping (essentially Tessellation from what I understand).

I_D

The original Jak and Daxter was the first game with a seamless open world

Maybe this is true for consoles? Daggerfall has it pretty solidly beat in the PC space.

I don't remember if either game has loading screens while entering buildings, but if we're talking just the overworld, Daggerfall is the oldest openworld 3d game I can think of.

I bring this game up every once in a while, even though it's horrible:

Galleon is the only game I know of that doesn't use hitboxes, but instead relies on pixel-on-pixel touching.
Galleon.jpg

It also had wall-running and parkour way before it became the norm for games, and it had physics-based clothing for characters.

The Chronicles of Riddick was the first game to use normal-maps to help with textures, which is now the standard for pretty much all 3d games. It also looked better than Doom friggin 3 on the Xbox, left Halo 2 in the dust, and was arguably more impressive than Chaos Theory.
RiddickButcherBay.jpg

Crysis is a graphical leap and achievement right? I mean it became a meme and is still used for benchmarking even years later.

I thought part of the reason for that though was that it was actually "poorly" written in the way it used resources or something (in addition to being graphically impressive)

System Shock, running on PCs in 1994, has:

- Destructible, full-3D objects which can be pushed around
- Ramps
- Real-time security monitors
- The ability to look all the way up and all the way down with correct perspective
- Dynamic lighting that can pulsate and be toggled on and off
- Translucent doors and bridges
- Bridges
- Room-over-room
- Relatively long draw distance
- A slick physics engine that allowed things like:
* The player character being a full 12-jointed bipedal model, which moves realistically (such as your head jerking forward a bit when you stop running) and responds to external forces (like being shot in the face) without having to hardcode these things in)
* Climbing walls
* Climbing hand-over-hand on the ceiling
* Riding roller skates (with everything that implies, such as launching yourself off ramps to cross a chasm)
* Leaning in multiple directions
* Jumping
* Throwing things, with realistic physics
* Lying down
* Shooting an enemy on higher ground, and having him fall down and crush an enemy below him
* Variable gravity
* Weapon recoil

There's a ton more, so let's just say that the game did far more than pretty much every PC game of the era did, except for liquids and 16-bit colour. Now keep in mind that this came out about six months after DOOM, and could run a mere 4 MiB of RAM. You should all take your hats off take a deep bow to the programmers at LGS.

6g95Ze8.jpg

utssfloor81.jpg

dogen

Elite Dangerous is the first game I am aware of that recreates a realistic 1:1 scale simulation of the Milky Way. You can go from one end of the galaxy to the other moving from star system to star system.

Also one of the Rogue Squadron games on Gamecube as far as I know was the first game to use Displacement Mapping (essentially Tessellation from what I understand).

Pretty sure it didn't have anything that crazy. It just used bump mapping. The new effect they talked about with Rebel Strike was light scattering, which I think was their term for bloom.

Doing this:

...on "5+ year old laptop tech" is pretty impressive. (These are my shots on an original PS4, not Pro)

I particularly love the detail on each mech: the worn look, the tech, the articulation; all without goofy clipping or immersion breaking oddities like that.

Jesus, I was thinking that was on the Pro. That's really impressive for the base PS4.

Top Bottom