• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon’s Automation Overreach

Nov 23, 2010

With Amazon retraining its workforce to the tune of $700 million, nearly a third of the company’s U.S. workers will become accustomed to more tech-intensive responsibilities. This effort—one of the most historically forceful on Amazon’s part—sets the stage for the company to figure out whether its stated mission of ditching its own human workforce in favor of smart robots is a go.
The next 20 years will be heaven for some consultants and analysts.

Regardless, if companies overreach, lose money, or waste time trying to "ditch" their human workforce in favor of our machine overlords those hustlers still get paid.

Reactions: Miku Miku

crowbrow

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2019
Basic Universal Income should come soon. Also half-time shifts should become the norm.

merlinevo

Apr 28, 2019
If automation is inevitable, then why do we still need the horde of "hard working" illegal immigrants to do jobs no Americans want to do? Shouldn't we immediately end the illegal immigration debacle since there will be no jobs for these unskilled and uneducated people and they will all be welfare drains?

Automation will simply lead to new job types. Just like we don't hire people to turn the light signal or switch telephone connections, new jobs will replace these menial and inefficient jobs. This is another song and dance routine the liberals are crying about when we have seen numerous times in the past that technological innovation does not lead to disaster. From the horse drawn carriage to the steam engine to the automobile, each steps brought in more progress and prosperity, not less.

Eiknarf

Mar 25, 2019
Agreed.

Agreed, you do not need them.
Well, according to AOC, the self-thinking, agenda-driven, sentient beings known as hurricanes will purposely go and get all the places those poor potential immigrants come from!!

I thought we had to worry about self thinking A.I... Turns out we have to worry about self thinking hurricanes who hate poor people

• LOL
Reactions: Cravis

danielberg

Jun 20, 2018
Yeah automation will create some new jobs just not the same numbers it destroys not even close... so that fantasy of "things will just continue the same" doenst seem to do the trick.
Some form of universal income will probably be needed and republicans just shoot themselves in the foot by claiming it wont be needed in a decade or two.
BUT universal income also means you cant have open borders at the same time or you will be flooded and robbed blind (even more than now, even more than europe in the crisis)
meaning universal income only works with borders and no illigale/vote/ cheap labor immigration/import etc republicans really should get behind this instead of shooting themselves in the foot.

Last edited:

crowbrow

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2019
Well, according to AOC, the self-thinking, agenda-driven, sentient beings known as hurricanes will purposely go and get all the places those poor potential immigrants come from!!

I thought we had to worry about self thinking A.I... Turns out we have to worry about self thinking hurricanes who hate poor people
I don't know much about this AOC character but what she said does make sense even if she explained it poorly or at all. Of course environmental disasters affect poor people more since poor people usually live in conditions with poor infraestructure, poor access to services that all can increase the damage and danger to people affected and, overall, they also have less options and resources to recover from such disasters. A rich person can afford building a house that can resist many hurricanes or earthquakes, not so much a poor person.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: mcz117chief

mcz117chief

Sep 29, 2013
Bohemia
Yeah automation will create some new jobs just not the same numbers it destroys not even close... so that fantasy of "things will just continue the same" doenst seem to do the trick.
Some form of universal income will probably be needed and republicans just shoot themselves in the foot by claiming it wont be needed in a decade or two.
BUT universal income also means you cant have open borders at the same time or you will be flooded and robbed blind (even more than now, even more than europe in the crisis)
meaning universal income only works with borders and no illigale/vote/ cheap labor immigration/import etc republicans really should get behind this instead of shooting themselves in the foot.
There will always be opportunities to make money. Look at it this way. It wasn't that long ago when vast majority of the human race worked in agriculture. Then came machinery and allowed one person to take care of an entire field or multiple fields. Today you got GPS guided tractor fleets harvesting fields stretching from one horizon to another, all controlled by a single man. There will just be more service oriented jobs around.

• Love
Reactions: TheLaughingStock

Foxbat

is on their last warning for console warring
May 30, 2018
I see many opponents of UBI use things like the industrial revolution as a comparison, when they're not really comparable.

Like the example above... Many people used to work in agriculture until machinery such as tractors and harvesters came along. The difference here is mainly two things.
1. While many jobs were lost, there was a comparable number of jobs created by the manufacturing plants that built those tractors and harvesters.
2. It took quite awhile for the switch to happen. Early machinery used for agricultural still needed people to run, and repair it.

Other people like to point out how cars replaced horses and carts. That argument falls short as well because while the workforce for the horse/cart industry was displaced, it was replaced by the auto manufacturing and repair industry that replaced it.

The difference between examples like those and now, is that the automation process is largely meant to eliminate the human workforce by design. Automation is meant to eliminate human errors, and improve efficiency over humans. Automation isn't going to create a replacement industry to replace the jobs people lose because of it. AI won't take millions of people to build, repair, and maintain. The self check out counters at your local Walmart could be built and installed in around a week. All the cashiers who lost their jobs, or simply weren't replaced is forever. So basically a few weeks worth of work to build and deploy those self check out machines replaced the work of those cashiers forever. To make matters even worse. Those self check out machines aren't even being built here. They're made in China.

The only sector that will offer a replacement industry somewhat is robotics. Robots will need to be built, repaired, and maintained by actual people. So while the robotics industry will offer several jobs, it will largely displace manufacturing as a whole. Warehousing will mostly be gone as well.

People used to do the work themselves. (Farming/walking)
People then switched to the manufacturing of the machines that replaced that work. (Tractors/Cars)
Most of the manufacturing has already gone overseas. It has been mitigated mostly by the services industry. Sales and services is almost all that is left. There simply will never be enough of those jobs to employ everybody.

All that aside, I personally think we as a whole should be moving towards a future that requires less and less work at jobs anyway. I've heard people say it a thousand times, "Even if I won the lottery, I'd still continue to work at my job everyday." I'm like really? If money was no longer an issue, you couldn't find anything better to do with your time? The whole work to have purpose shtick is perpetuated by companies and government to make people believe that life is more fulfilling if you work your ass off 5 days a week doing the same mundane shit. It's a blatant scam.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2010
There will always be opportunities to make money. Look at it this way. It wasn't that long ago when vast majority of the human race worked in agriculture. Then came machinery and allowed one person to take care of an entire field or multiple fields. Today you got GPS guided tractor fleets harvesting fields stretching from one horizon to another, all controlled by a single man. There will just be more service oriented jobs around.
The funny thing is a lot of people are being duped into making this bet they won't need human work real soon.

Yet more people in the US are employed than ever before and companies like Amazon have 30k + openings as of today. High skill, low skill, and everything in between.

You read in the paper how humans aren't needed yet the top job creators can't find enough bodies at the market wage. Hopefully, the robots take over soon.

Super Mario

Nov 12, 2016
If you looked at my company, the media would only tell you about the repetitive, menial, jobs that were eliminated or greatly reduced due to technology. They would never tell you about all of the MUCH better jobs that were created in new growth areas.

Gargus

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2018
Automation is inevitable and just the next evolution of our advancement as a species.

We used to walk, then we got horses, then cars, then faster cars, then bigger cars, planes, buses, conveyor belt sidewalks, scooters, electric bikes and so on. We used to hammer metal by hand, then with cutting tools, then torches, water jets, lasers, machines, and now automated machines. Our entire civilization is built on how to do things more efficent and with less effort and less money. Automated products have been around for a bit and will continue to grow.

It will take some jobs, but not all of them. Even if it took 40% of all jobs I still wouldn't be mad at companies. People take this so personally when it is so impersonal it isnt even funny.

A company is in business to do one thing and one thing only, create money. That's it. If they can do it more efficiently, spend less more money, do it faster and better with machines then they will do it. The people who own companies only care about the company and I don't blame them.

I care about saving money also and keeping as much of it as I can. I bought my own lawn mower instead of paying someone to do it, I replaced the high pressure switch in my furnace because I don't want to pay someone else. I don't donate money to charity because I want to keep as much of my money as possible. It isnt personal, it's purely about doing what I can to have as much money as I can. And sure those companies are worth billions, but it's still their money they earned and it belongs to them and they want it just as much if not more than I want my thousands.

Oct 26, 2018
If you correlate automation over the past 100 years to unemployment rate, they seem to go in different directions. Seems like good news to me.

I welcome the automation overlords.

Only people working in shitty replaceable jobs should be scared.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018
If you looked at my company, the media would only tell you about the repetitive, menial, jobs that were eliminated or greatly reduced due to technology. They would never tell you about all of the MUCH better jobs that were created in new growth areas.
Exactly.

Automation has been going on for probably 40 years in turbo mode in office settings.

For every paper pushing grunt let go, is replaced by higher value jobs that pay more and do more important roles. Who gives a shit about companies hiring millions of people to process invoices and carbon paper copies. Let SAP and any software do the leg work. Even small businesses can find free or small software to help them out. Why resort to hiring some old lady at $40,000 to handle basic finances, when a semi-literate business owner can do it themselves at home.

Now replace those people with a small number who work in IT to keep the system going and then teams of people to analyze the data and what you get are buildings full of sales, marketing, finance, and various analytical roles..... instead of a mob of paper pushers and mail room clerks standing there doing photocopies and faxing all day, versus overwhelmed teams of other functions.

Companies only have so much salary budget to go around. And often times the first functions to get the axe are non-revenue generating functions...... like admin work.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Mar 23, 2018
Pretty much jobs will be replaced and more work will hit the workforce because of it.

My grandpa thought he was out of work with all his buddy's when they didn't had to manually dig a ditch anymore. And they got devices to work the land. Funny enough more work came out of it.

Those jobs will be replaced with other jobs etc. Its a endless flow.