• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Buys MGM, Studio Behind James Bond, for $8.45 Billion

Valedix

Gold Member

James Bond has a new home.

Amazon and MGM officially announced that they have entered into a definitive merger agreement under which Amazon will acquire MGM for a purchase price of $8.45 billion.

MGM has nearly a century of filmmaking history and complements the work of Amazon Studios, which has primarily focused on producing TV show programming, the companies said. Amazon will help “preserve MGM’s heritage and catalog of films,” and provide customers with greater access to these existing works, the companies said. Through this acquisition, Amazon would empower MGM to continue to do what they do best: great storytelling.

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer is the studio behind the Pink Panther, Rocky, and, yes, the 007 franchise. The pact comes on the heels of AT&T’s decision to spinoff WarnerMedia and combine it with Discovery, a deal that many entertainment analysts predict will spark a new round of mergers and acquisitions as media companies and streaming players scramble to lock up the most compelling content available.

ManaByte

I'm confused, didn't Sony own MGM? Did they sell it to amazon then?

No Sony had a distribution agreement. They never owned MGM.

Sony just desperately wanted Bond, but when they realized EON would never give them the control over Bond they wanted they seemed to lose interest in the whole thing.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I need to find a list of their catalog.
There is this at least:

12 Angry Men
Basic Instinct
Ben-Hur
Creed
James Bond
Legally Blonde
Moonstruck
Poltergeist
Raging Bull
Robocop
Rocky
Silence of the Lambs
Stargate
Thelma & Louise
Tomb Raider
The Magnificent Seven
The Pink Panther
The Thomas Crown Affair
Fargo,
The Handmaid’s Tale
Vikings

Everyone is playing Monopoly right now or what ??

200.gif

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

There is this at least:

12 Angry Men
Basic Instinct
Ben-Hur
Creed
James Bond
Legally Blonde
Moonstruck
Poltergeist
Raging Bull
Robocop
Rocky
Silence of the Lambs
Stargate
Thelma & Louise
Tomb Raider
The Magnificent Seven
The Pink Panther
The Thomas Crown Affair
Fargo,
The Handmaid’s Tale
Vikings

200.gif

Looking at wikipedia, they have been making movies since the beginning of movies, so their catalog is fucking huge. A few notables that stood out (although the catalog is too big to do anything but skim):

Gone with the Wind
Wizard of Oz
A Christmas Story

+ A metric shit ton of studio films from the 50s - 70s from both MGM and UA, including Clint Eastwood westerns and a ton of the old classic war movies.

Konnor

No Sony had a distribution agreement. They never owned MGM.

Sony just desperately wanted Bond, but when they realized EON would never give them the control over Bond they wanted they seemed to lose interest in the whole thing.

But...

ManaByte

But...

Yes but that ended up only being a distribution deal that lasted a year. Sony distributed MGM movies from 2005-2006. Then it went to the Weinsteins, then Fox got the home video distribution.

This Amazon purchase is different than all of that mess.

ultrazilla

Anyways, makes sense since Amazon is doing their own "Lord of the Rings" series for Amazon Prime, why not own the actual movies outright?

Amazon now owns these movies and their sequels: Rocky, Legally Blonde, The Pink Panther, Stargate, Lord of the Rings and Hobbit trilogies, James Bond, Robocop, Tomb Raider, Creed, Basic Instinct and Poltergeist to name a few.

Yoda

There is this at least:

12 Angry Men
Basic Instinct
Ben-Hur
Creed
James Bond
Legally Blonde
Moonstruck
Poltergeist
Raging Bull
Robocop
Rocky
Silence of the Lambs
Stargate
Thelma & Louise
Tomb Raider
The Magnificent Seven
The Pink Panther
The Thomas Crown Affair
Fargo,
The Handmaid’s Tale
Vikings

200.gif
Most of those franchises are old and rebooting a series today will involve catering to a certain crowd on Twitter that'll impact any given series' reception. Nearly 9 billion feels like a bit too much for just being able to load their streaming platform w/movies they could've gotten rights to individually for waaaaay cheaper.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Can’t fucking wait for the product placement where Q is ordering some drone using Amazon Prime’s same day delivery :messenger_tears_of_joy:

James Bond about to plough some pussay but hesitates; ‘Alexa, play Marvin Gaye, Let’s Get it On:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Kagey K

Banned
I just bought all the Bond movies not long ago to watch with my son, so of course they will get added to prime now. 🤣

VulcanRaven

I hope they keep releasing old movies on 4K Blu-Ray. It worries me a bit when companies that have a streaming service buys movie studios.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
Amazon reboots Shirley Temple where she teaches the lesson about how big and bad union’s are :)

(now free on amazon prime)

sol_bad

What's with people having a fear of large corporations? Are they watching and reading too many sci fi stories where corporations start ruling the world?

Konnor

After The Boys and The Expanse? I'd trust them with it more than Netflix.

The Boys isn't as good as people say imo, the whole show is Homelander who carries it with his interesting personality and Antony Starr's goddamn amazing performance. No seriously, I'm at awe sometimes at the subtle shit he does with his body language and expressions. Anyway, I can't offer my opinion on the Expanse which wasn't even an original Amazon production but the rest of the shows I've watched from amazon aren't that good, most of them feel like they try really really hard to copy HBO but fail at it. Of course I'm not saying that Amazon is as bad as Netflix but I still wouldn't want them to touch something like Stargate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom