• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon censoring Titanfall reviews - Must hit dat 5 stars rating.

well, they *are* deleting high and low but the average is going up!

3Mh7Fop.png

from 4.0 in the OP to 4.4 now

This, at least to me, is why text based game impressions are obsolete and why gaming videos need to be embraced by developers, publishers and gamers alike. It's not flawless, but it's a lot more reliable than some faceless stranger's written word.

Read the thread. Verified owners of the game should be able to post a review that follows the guidelines. According to the amazon thread, they're getting removed anyway- both low and high rated reviews.

It should be concerning regardless of what product we're looking at. Also: reviews being posted on amazon before the product releases is bullshit.

mclem

If you go check the page right now, it matches up with the picture on the right. The picture on the left shows higher numbers, therefore there are less reviews now than there was when the picture on the left was taken.

Now, that's unfair. You're not considering the very real possibility that the picture on the left was taken in the future.

They're probably deleting ones that read like they're from people who obviously haven't played the game and are just trying to bring the score down.

So if you're going to write a troll review, be smart and show a little subtlety.

beast786

Uhhh because this is a thread about it. And this thread contains no concrete information. If you going to get defensive why don't you post this evidence and inform all of us

yes, I am the defensive one and yet some how you have posted more than anyone in this non issue thread. keep fighting and I am sure someone will listen.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Ridiculous.

I love Amazon, but this isn't right.

That said neither are bogus reviews, but where do we draw the line?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I am pretty sure that this is all part of Amazon's normal quality assurance procedure for reviews. Come on, a company as big as Amazon getting paid to manipulate the comments on an (for them) irrelevant product and risking its reputation in the process?

Tinfoil hats everywhere.

Bsigg12

Amazon does have guidelines for reviews so if people are just flaming the game without any sort of explanation, and they get flagged by other users, they'll be removed.

If you write a good review explaining why you gave it 2 stars and someone fflags it, Amazon will review it and decide if it's actually on grounds to be removed or if people are just spamming the report button.

Yeah...this is some conspiracy theory type shit right here haha.

Unless you have proof of credible reviews being removed it is hard say anyone is doing anything wrong other than trolling reviewers.

They've stopped reviews before from being from anyone but verified buyers on certain things that have been getting a lot of troll reviews.

But censoring honest reviews will never be a good thing if it is happening. That being said, I'm sure most people considering buying it already have their minds made up. I can't believe many people will look to Amazon reviews in this case.

yes, I am the defensive one and yet some how you have posted more than anyone in this non issue thread. keep fighting and I am sure someone will listen.

You really want this story to be true. I think you're the one that is hoping people will listen to you. Most people posting in here realize this is far fetched and extremely unlikely.

TalonJH

I would hate to find out a conspiracy like this is true but there simply isn't enough evidence here. I say drop it for now until somebody can prove this. I'm sure plenty of those reviews were idiots. I think Amazon should only allow verified reviews site wide to get rid of the all those positive and negative reviews from fanboys and people with agendas.

brand.com in action, I guess http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbzHJOklCP0

Their cable TV commercial (that I can't ever find online) is way slicker than their online youtube vids... "used by the most fortune 500 companies" - they must have made bank with some big clients in the last year to become some publicly visible this year.

The whole idea of this kind of thing being a non-secretive service irks me almost as much as flagrant, unapologetic plagiarism does.

Maybe it was using red flagged IP's and they were just cloning the ip making lots and lots of reviews from the same machine.

Look at all those negative user reviews for the beloved COD franchise for example

beast786

Amazon does have guidelines for reviews so if people are just flaming the game without any sort of explanation, and they get flagged by other users, they'll be removed.

It's not just flaming. But I agree, more than likely it's automated with some word recognition

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I am pretty sure that this is all part of Amazon's normal quality assurance procedure for reviews. Come on, a company as big as Amazon getting paid to manipulate the comments on an (for them) irrelevant product and risking its reputation in the process?

Tinfoil hats everywhere.
What do you mean irrelevant? Have you seen Titanfall?

It's a game-changer. The most important game in years. Humanity's timeline can be divided in two. There was before Titanfall and after Titanfall.

acksman

Not saying this is right, but this is normal practice in marketing. Products, contests many things through reviews and votes are bought and sold in many different types of products. Welcome to don't believe any reviews you read anymore. You have to take averages and throw out the highs and lows.

beast786

You really want this story to be true. I think you're the one that is hoping people will listen to you. Most people posting in here realize this is far fetched and extremely unlikely.

Yea, that must be it and THE only conclusion out of my two post. But you getting emotional and posting left and right totally don't seem upset .

don't worry, keep posting. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

The entire saga surrounding people who are salty about this game continues to amaze.

Just realize that your continued anger about this game, the excitement surrounding it, and the great review scores, and now the attempt to create fake drama, only underline for everyone else how much you really care about the game.

Yea, that must be it and THE only conclusion out of my two post? But you getting emotional and posting left and right totally don't seem upset .

don't worry, keep posting. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Just looked at your post history. Not wasting any more time responding to your nonsense.

yes? you can't start removing reviews even if they are nonsense
do I REALLY have to explain why to you?

I think you can start removing reviews if they are nonsense. So YES you REALLY do have to explain to me your logic here.

jetsetrez

Are you guys ever not witch hunting or trying to be outraged by something?

Maybe I'm crazy, or just not cynical enough (and being a jaded old man myself, I doubt the latter) but I really find it hard to believe Microsoft or EA paid Amazon to curate their user reviews for a video game. Or that Amazon would offer such a "service." Do you really think these major companies are playing system wars so hard that they would shell out money and potentially risk bad PR to move the user review star rating from a 4 to 4 1/2..?

Also, can we please stop saying "dat" all the time? This is about user reviews for a video game, not a juicy ass.

The Cowboy

So looking at it now, there are more 5 star reviews removed than 1 or 2 star reviews. So doesn't kinda nuke the whole "trying to hit that 5 stars" part.

It is weird they are being removed, but if it was to give the game a manufactured high rating, then it makes no sense to remove a load of 5 star reviews.

Yeah...this is some conspiracy theory type shit right here haha.

Unless you have proof of credible reviews being removed it is hard say anyone is doing anything wrong other than trolling reviewers.

They've stopped reviews before from being from anyone but verified buyers on certain things that have been getting a lot of troll reviews.

But censoring honest reviews will never be a good thing if it is happening. That being said, I'm sure most people considering buying it already have their minds made up. I can't believe many people will look to Amazon reviews in this case.

Read the amazon thread posted. Legitimate reviews are being removed.

Top Bottom