• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos and wife MacKenzie set to divorce

Blam

Reading this tweet and seeing that they already had a trial separation it doesn't seem like either of their lives will change.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Per the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, alimony is no longer taxable income to the spouse for any divorce happening after January 1st, 2019.

No, that is not a joke.

Blam

Per the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, alimony is no longer taxable income to the spouse for any divorce happening after January 1st, 2019.

No, that is not a joke.
So it really fucking is a tax scheme lmao. The tweet sounded like their lives would straight up not change and they'd just be living together still. So I'm actually laughing that this could easily be a way to get around taxes.

Skyr

DEtTJVzXYAUpKtD.jpg

Yay. Time to up the TRT, do some biceps curls and plow the queue of hungry bitches Jeff. Let's go.

Last edited:

Alfen Dave

Can any one here savvy in marriage laws enlighten me? Technically, if their kids are all grown up and legal, that the wife worked full time during marriage, he doesn't owe her anything does he?

Child Support is only for kids under 18. Alimony is mostly for mothers who stayed at home.
I mean yeh they might have to seprate some assets (houses, car,etc) but I really hope she won't receive any income from his part.

Marriage is straight up scam for billionaires...

Last edited:

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Wonder what that means for Blue Orgin and space exploration....he won't have the same level of funds for that...

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
"...partners in ventures and projects, and as individuals pursing ventures and adventures..."

Trite nonsense, but typical of these types. There's nothing to salvage from the lives of people who think in these hyper-individualist terms, and God help the three children they created. They even adopted a fourth one from China, when they're clearly not fit to be parents.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Can any one here savvy in marriage laws enlighten me? Technically, if their kids are all grown up and legal, that the wife worked full time during marriage, he doesn't owe her anything does he?

They still have kids under 18. Coupled with the new alimony laws mentioned above, yeah, this is a straight up tax dodge.

NickFire

Owner of Washington post says he's getting divorced but will remain part of his soon-to-be ex wife's family. Seems trickle down fake news works better than trickle down economics.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
"...partners in ventures and projects, and as individuals pursing ventures and adventures..."

Trite nonsense, but typical of these types. There's nothing to salvage from the lives of people who think in these hyper-individualist terms, and God help the three children they created. They even adopted a fourth one from China, when they're clearly not fit to be parents.
...what?

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
They still have kids under 18. Coupled with the new alimony laws mentioned above, yeah, this is a straight up tax dodge.
Is it? Bezos will still have to pay taxes on any money he pays in alimony. And under the new laws he won’t be able to deduct the amount from his taxes. His wife just won’t have to pay.

Last edited:
Will this make her the Richest Woman in the World if she takes half his money?

Not sure why they are separating when it states that he is still going to be friends with her and will still be involved with the family. Could be a Tax Dodge but it'd be pointless unless she is just shoring up his money in a Tax Free Haven or something.

Sub_Level

So it really fucking is a tax scheme lmao. The tweet sounded like their lives would straight up not change and they'd just be living together still. So I'm actually laughing that this could easily be a way to get around taxes.
Tax evasion?

Tax scheme from her end maybe. But he is still taxed on his income because in addition to alimony not being taxable by the taker, its also no longer deductible by the giver.

So she should be pretty happy. Probably talked to a lawyer or cpa before making the jump.

Pagusas

Elden Member

No, that is not a joke.

It was taxable before? That seems like double taxation, the money the 1st person made was already taxed before being handed to the person receiving the alimony.

Gander

Banned
Let's not forget the lesson from Sir Paul McCartney

He took sympathy on a one legged woman and figured her love was real

She still took the money and ran.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
New Blam thread omg.

No really, heard this on the radio in the car right before seeing this. Quite wild, and the new rule Sub_Level Sub_Level referenced makes this hilarious considering the trial separation.

Hissing Sid

Who the fuck makes a divorce speech?

And what the fuck is ‘loving exploration’? Does it involve sled dogs and an ancient map?

Talk about being full of yourselves.

JordanN

Banned
If you're rich as hell, why do you even have to marry?

Wouldn't it make more sense to just be in a relationship for a long time? But why even bother make it legal, when it could just come back to haunt you later in a divorce?

Sub_Level

It was taxable before? That seems like double taxation, the money the 1st person made was already taxed before being handed to the person receiving the alimony.

Naw it wasn't double taxed cuz the person who gave it could deduct it. And now that its not taxable, its not deductible either. I should've mentioned that in my post.

Pagusas

Elden Member

Wouldn't it make more sense to just be in a relationship for a long time? But why even bother make it legal, when it could just come back to haunt you later in a divorce?

Having lots of money doesn't mean you stop having emotions, and Marriage is all about emotions.

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
Having lots of money doesn't mean you stop having emotions, and Marriage is all about emotions.
Marriage is just a contract recognized by the government. You could marry anyone off the street without having any real feelings for them.

If you're rich, it would be less risky to just date someone you really like forever, instead of turning into a pact that could be broken later and you lose half your stuff.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member

It is said, that some people marry for ‘love’ and it is even possible for the very rich to experience this emotion and want to express that through a traditional ceremony that is common in their country.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Marriage is just a contract recognized by the government. You could marry anyone off the street without having any real feelings for them.

If you're rich, it would be less risky to just date someone you really like forever, instead of turning into a pact that could be broken later and you lose half your stuff.

again you are putting logic into it, Marriage is rarely about logic. Its symbolism, even when you are rich that doesnt go away.

For fucks sakes, stop getting married.
It's a legal contract with no benefits for a man and cash and prizes for the woman.

Last edited:
Will this make her the Richest Woman in the World if she takes half his money?

Not sure why they are separating when it states that he is still going to be friends with her and will still be involved with the family. Could be a Tax Dodge but it'd be pointless unless she is just shoring up his money in a Tax Free Haven or something.

Don't ask why most self made innovator billionaires are men, and many if not most of the women that do reach that level of wealth tend to be through being heiress, inheritance or divorce...

Oh it's far worse than that in some places the laws retroactively make cohabitation into legal marriage without any contracts. Such laws can be implemented anywhere at anytime, that's the power of male privilege at work, more misandrist laws by the minute.

Consensual sex? Woman just has to say she was raped, and with evidence of consensual sex it is jail time. Cohabit and don't marry, laws can retroactively make you married and take half or more of your shizzat.

The weaponization of the laws against men, as well as academia ignoring legally being proved innocent and scarring your degrees. Rumor is double jeopardy doesn't exist in some countries, and some men are going like for the third trial after being proven innocent of rape allegations. In others it is illegal to get dna tests on children without the wife's consent.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned

No, that is not a joke.
This would be the most interesting twist. Imagine protecting your money from massive taxes by divorcing your wife and making sure she gets a massive share of it. If we see more billionaire divorces, it might really make me think this is going on.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Was dude rich 25 years ago? I remember seeing Bezos in the follow up to Triumph of the Nerds and he was just starting out. It’s not like Amazon even existed 25 years ago, in 1993. the www itself was barely starting out

At any rate, I don’t see how being rich means you don’t want to get married. It’s not like after you make a certain amount of money you no longer have to worry about dying alone, your money is with you lol

Last edited:

Super Mario

Banned

Child Support is only for kids under 18. Alimony is mostly for mothers who stayed at home.
I mean yeh they might have to seprate some assets (houses, car,etc) but I really hope she won't receive any income from his part.

Marriage is straight up scam for billionaires...

For the record, they married 25 years ago. It was before Amazon, but he was still well off.

Alimony goes to the wife in many scenarios. In cases like this, they often say the wife was "use to a certain type of lifestyle". Never mind that if a man loses all of his wealth, no one is ever concerned with what lifestyle he was accustomed to. Let's worry most about what the woman married into.

I'm not advocating she gets dropped off in the hood and told to figure it out herself. This is just one more reason why marriage is a scam.

mckmas8808

Banned

HOLD ON! WAT?!?!?! This is freaking INSANE!!!!!!!!!!! Lets say he makes $200 million a year from 2019 to 2024. Out of that $1 Billion total dollars he pays her $500 Million and NONE OF IT IS TAXABLE BY LAW?!?!?! :messenger_dizzy::messenger_dizzy::messenger_dizzy:

mckmas8808

Banned

You can tell which posters have been hurt really bad in an relationship and/or are lonely themselves. Guys, being married also affords you the ability to do things with a person that you couldn't do before if you weren't married.

Blam

You can tell which posters have been hurt really bad in an relationship and/or are lonely themselves. Guys, being married also affords you the ability to do things with a person that you couldn't do before if you weren't married.
Yeah but you don't need to be married to get those benefits common law marriages which basically is (1 year living with them) also works as well.

HOLD ON! WAT?!?!?! This is freaking INSANE!!!!!!!!!!! Lets say he makes $200 million a year from 2019 to 2024. Out of that $1 Billion total dollars he pays her $500 Million and NONE OF IT IS TAXABLE BY LAW?!?!?! :messenger_dizzy::messenger_dizzy::messenger_dizzy:

Yeah lmao. I knew this was too good to be true.

Top Bottom