• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Increases Production Spending, Developing 3 New Sci-Fi Series

entremet

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/amazon-studios-lazarus-snow-crash-ringworld-1202576048/

Lazarus One, Snow Crash, and Ringworld.

Amazon is dramatically ramping up its production for next year, moving forward with three new high-concept series, Variety has learned. These new efforts represent a significant production investment from the studio, which is currently in preproduction, production or post on 67 TV series and 20 movies around the world.

The streaming service is developing the following:

• ”Lazarus," based on a comic book by Greg Rucka (”Marvel's Jessica Jones"), is set in an alternative near future, where the world has been divided among 16 rival families, who run their territories in a feudal system. Each family has allies and enemies among the other families. To crush uprisings and fight wars, most families have a Lazarus: a one-person kill squad.

Rucka serves as writer and executive producer on ”Lazarus," along with Michael Lark (”Captain America: The Winter Soldier") and Angela Cheng Caplan.

• ”Snow Crash," which is based on Neal Stephenson's cult novel, is a one-hour science fiction drama set in futuristic America. In reality, Hiro Protagonist delivers pizza for Uncle Enzo's CosoNostra Pizza Inc., but in the Metaverse he's a warrior prince. Plunging headlong into the enigma of a new computer virus that's striking down hackers everywhere, he races along the neon-lit streets on a search-and-destroy mission for the shadowy virtual villain.

A co-production with Paramount Television, ”Snow Crash" is executive produced by Joe Cornish (”Ant-Man") and Frank Marshall (”Back to the Future").

• ”Ringworld," a co-production with MGM, is based on Larry Niven's sci-fi book series from the 70's. It tells the story of Louis Gridley Wu, a bored man celebrating his 200th birthday in a technologically-advanced, future Earth. Upon being offered one of the open positions on a voyage, Louis joins a young woman and two aliens to explore Ringworld, the remote artificial ring beyond ”Known Space."

So many shows. So many movies. So little time.

Must be great to be an actor/writer/director etc. these days, so many avenues to get hired.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Lazarus is a great series so I'm glad to see it being shown tremendous love here. Hopefully the show is successful. Saga or Black a science would've been good choices as well but in terms of budget, I can see why Amazon went with Lazarus over the others.

Ringworld should be fun. I can pretend it's the the Halo TV series I have always wanted but Microsoft refused to give me.

And yes I know Ringworld was one of the inspirations for Halo

most of amazon's shows have been really kinda bad.

I'll support sci fi if its good

I liked there prime original about a priest going to a different world to help figure out wtf is going on there

Slayven

STAHP! It won't happen. It will be Louis and Teela and Speaker to Animals and Nessus, and it will be perfect!
This
Pierson%27s_Puppeteer_illustration_from_Barlowe%27s_Guide_to_Extraterrestrials.jpg

will be turned into this

DeviantBoi

Well, shit.

In for Ringworld and Snow Crash.

Personally, I was hoping for a SC movie, but if that is never happening, then I guess a TV show will have to do.

Just as long as they can do justice to the Metaverse.

Hesemonni

Banned
W00t Ringworld?!? As in awesome.

W00t Snow Crash?!? As in lol it's going to suck dubious amounts of donkey balls.

I wish one of these companies (Netflix, HBO, Amazon and whatnot) decided to fund Hyperion adaptation with infinite monies to actually so justice to the source material.

DeviantBoi

I bet they're looking for anything fantasy/sci-fi that has "warring houses".

I bet there's a Dune TV treatment out there.

Santiako

If they go beyond the first book for Ringworld I wonder if they'll include all the furry fucking and furry orgies. It would be quite weird lol

Dali

If they go beyond the first book for Ringworld I wonder if they'll include all the furry fucking and furry orgies. It would be quite weird lol
I'm curious how they'll depict the tripod alien. Sounded pretty stupid looking based on the description in the book.

besada

Banned
Lazrus and Snow Crash should be interesting too. The Lazarus comic is great, and should adapt easily to the small screen. I'm less sure of how well Snow Crash will adapt.

Kin5290

Lazarus is fantastic. I'm hoping it adapts well, but like with casting Bobbie Draper, casting Forever is going to be a bitch.

Steejee

Lazarus sounds pretty similar to Into the Badlands, so probably not too hard to adapt.

Snow Crash could be cool or really freaking awful. The book was a fun read but I feel like it could have aged somewhat poorly.

Ringworld... oh boy. Awesome if they go all in, but they'll need to tone down the sexism and no fucking idea how they'll do a puppeteer without making it look silly. I guess a completely different design would be the way to go.

Ringworld... oh boy. Awesome if they go all in, but they'll need to tone down the sexism and no fucking idea how they'll do a puppeteer without making it look silly. I guess a completely different design would be the way to go.
Aren't the Puppeteers supposed to look kind of ugly and dumb though? I mean they're partially inspired by ostriches, which aren't exactly the most graceful or glamorous creatures out there.

Anyway, I'd be curious as to how they structure this. If they try to follow the books or just go off on their own in the basic setting. Be really disappointing if they don't get to the Protectors. Those were fun.

Top Bottom