• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Frostburn

Just traded in my last generation Paperwhite for the added credit in order to upgrade to the higher resolution screen. Only question is, is the Voyage worth the cost premium? I might go Special Offer-less this time actually regardless. I haven't bought anything through the Special Offers in probably like two years.

The newest Paperwhite and the Voyage are close. I have the Voyage and really like the flush glass covered front (They gave the glass a micro-texture so it feels very nice), the resolution is slightly higher and the device is lightweight but so is the Paperwhite. If you read a TON it is worth the premium IMO but if you only use it occasionally I'd just go with the newest Paperwhite. You can always disable Special offers later on if you want.

kharma45

The newest Paperwhite and the Voyage are close. I have the Voyage and really like the flush glass covered front (They gave the glass a micro-texture so it feels very nice), the resolution is slightly higher and the device is lightweight but so is the Paperwhite. If you read a TON it is worth the premium IMO but if you only use it occasionally I'd just go with the newest Paperwhite. You can always disable Special offers later on if you want.

Resolution is the same on both.

Anyone having any issues since the update? My collections folders say 0 even though the books are still on my kindle. I can find them if I search for them but they aren't visible on the display. Has this happened to anyone else?

yyzjohn

Banned
Anyone having any issues since the update? My collections folders say 0 even though the books are still on my kindle. I can find them if I search for them but they aren't visible on the display. Has this happened to anyone else?

Top left corner on your collections screen it has "All" and "Downloaded". Flip to the one it's not on currently. Your books will be there.

Looks like some folks are getting emails about their Kindle devices regarding necessary firmware upgrades since February:

Your Kindle e-reader requires an important software update to continue downloading books and using Kindle services.

To receive the update, follow these steps:

• Plug your Kindle in to charge during the update.

• Turn on wireless.

• Leave your Kindle plugged in and connected to the wireless network overnight, or until the update is complete.

The software update will download and install automatically, even if your device is asleep. Your device may restart multiple times during the update process. You will get a final confirmation letter on your device when the update is complete.

If you do not update the device software by March 22, 2016, you will no longer be able to access Kindle services or get the update via connecting to a wireless network. To resume access, you will need to manually update the software on your Kindle. Please visit our Help page for more details on how to update automatically.

Frequently Asked Questions

What if I no longer have one or more of my device?
If you no longer have or use your Kindle e-reader, deregister it from your account today. After logging into your Amazon account, click on the Your Devices tab and select the Kindle e-reader you want to deregister. Click Deregister.

How do I connect to wireless?
You can find out more about connecting to wireless on our Help page.

How can I get help on updating my Kindle e-reader?
For more information, visit our Help page.

Thank you for reading with Kindle, and be sure to connect your device to a wireless network regularly to receive all future software updates.

Sincerely,
The Amazon Kindle Team

Looks like a security update for connecting to the Kindle store. It applies to every Kindle model. Most people should already have the update though, and if you miss the cutoff point you can always download their patches from their website.

longdi

Banned
How do u update the Kindle? My update menu is greyed out and there is no progress bar or anything indicating the firmware is being downloaded?

Kinokou

How long should I expect the update to last? I have a touch if it matters.

How do u update the Kindle? My update menu is greyed out and there is no progress bar or anything indicating the firmware is being downloaded?

There wasn't for me either, but it restated a few times after I put on the screen saver.

Now the pin screen showed up does it mean it is done already? I don't want to wake it if it isn't done yet since it seems to be a sleep mode update :S

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Wonder if there will be new models in the next couple of months.

There was an new article about the mandatory Kindle firmware upgrade that mentioned that the upgrade could be done by just syncing with wifi for new books and whispersync. It's supposedly a small download for most Kindles (probably security certificates).

But if you've missed a few firmware updates, then you probably need to get more than that. Easiest way is to put it on wifi, plug it in, and lock the device. It should update itself if you leave it sit for a while.

There's also the manual firmware procedure mentioned above.

Wonder if there will be new models in the next couple of months.

No one knows, and guessing is really hard. They didn't stick to any typical release schedule the past year and there has been no technological advancements in the world of eInk. If anything, it'll probably be quiet incremental updates for the foreseeable future.

So if you are thinking about getting one or upgrading, anytime is good time. All the devices offer a wonderful reading experience.

szaromir

Banned
Earlier this week I received a €50 gift card from m employer, Amazon.de had a €40 discount for Kindle Paperwhite so I got the one with ads. Not a bad purchase for €30 I reckon :)

Any known cases of Amazon banning for switching regions frequently? I would like to buy some books that are only available in the US or French or German stores, the easiest way to do it would be to change the region, buy the book, then go back to the US store for the goodreads integration. But I'm pretty afraid of receiving a ban that way, even though I'm not planning to do it for deal hunting.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
No one knows, and guessing is really hard. They didn't stick to any typical release schedule the past year and there has been no technological advancements in the world of eInk. If anything, it'll probably be quiet incremental updates for the foreseeable future.

So if you are thinking about getting one or upgrading, anytime is good time. All the devices offer a wonderful reading experience.
I have a second gen Paperwhite. Not quite worth upgrading but I'd like the higher res screen. Too bad. I'm really enjoying the first proper font, though. If only I could left justify it.

e_i

All three Kindles are up for sale on Amazon. $50 off the Voyage, $30 off the Paperwhite, $30 off the regular Kindle.

Rafy

Earlier this week I received a €50 gift card from m employer, Amazon.de had a €40 discount for Kindle Paperwhite so I got the one with ads. Not a bad purchase for €30 I reckon :)

Any known cases of Amazon banning for switching regions frequently? I would like to buy some books that are only available in the US or French or German stores, the easiest way to do it would be to change the region, buy the book, then go back to the US store for the goodreads integration. But I'm pretty afraid of receiving a ban that way, even though I'm not planning to do it for deal hunting.

I am in Italy but using my US Amazon account without any issues. I just had to de-register the Kindle from my Italian account and login with my NA one.

Socreges

Banned
So I use Tinderizer pretty religiously. Great way to procrastinate but the best part is I actually end up reading most of the articles!

I know Tinderizer exists for iOS. But is there an equivalent for Android? Would be amazing to send articles to my Kindle from my phone, where I do most of my browsing.

szaromir

Banned
I am in Italy but using my US Amazon account without any issues. I just had to de-register the Kindle from my Italian account and login with my NA one.
You can switch the Kindle store region without using another account (or travelling or using VPNs). But I asked about changing the region frequently.
So I use Tinderizer pretty religiously. Great way to procrastinate but the best part is I actually end up reading most of the articles!

I know Tinderizer exists for iOS. But is there an equivalent for Android? Would be amazing to send articles to my Kindle from my phone, where I do most of my browsing.
Yes there is, it's called Push to Kindle :p

Bboy AJ

LOL I called it

Socreges

Banned
You can switch the Kindle store region without using another account (or travelling or using VPNs). But I asked about changing the region frequently.

Yes there is, it's called Push to Kindle :p
Nice! Wish I'd asked sooner

$5 (CDN).... does it struggle with articles that have strange formats or lots of visuals? Tinderizer does this quite well, with only the very occasional hiccup.

That article seems pretty convinced it's an eReader, though it could be a tablet. In the context of Bezos' "attention readers" comment: They've made those reader edition Kindle tablets before.
Unless it's a larger iPad Pro competitor or something along those lines, I can't see it being a tablet - because they launched new tablets a few months ago, including the $50 one.

Nymerio

I don't know what they could add to the Kindle to make me upgrade from the first gen Paperwhite. It's pretty much perfect for me and though I'd really like a new one I just never felt the need to upgrade.

Please surprise me Amazon.

I don't know what they could add that would top my voyage. A faster processor? More RAM?

My reading experience as is feels great, so I'm not sure adding more speed would even make it better. Sure it would be nice, but not worthy of an upgrade.

yyzjohn

Banned
I don't know what they could add that would top my voyage. A faster processor? More RAM?

My reading experience as is feels great, so I'm not sure adding more speed would even make it better. Sure it would be nice, but not worthy of an upgrade.

Maybe a slightly larger display? I saw the Kobo that has a 6.8" display and it was nice having a slighter bigger page to read off.

B33

Banned

A speaker and headphone jack for audio books?

Frostburn

At this point my list of wants are (Coming from the current Voyage):

1. Case that flips to the side like Paperwhite and OG Kindle cases (Opens like a book)
  2. Option for warmer back-lighting at night.
  3. Slightly larger screen while keeping very similar overall dimensions.

Honestly each Kindle I've owned has been great and I've been giving them to family and friends once I upgrade mine. I love the Voyage minus the official case for it (I end up leaving the case off unless I'm traveling).

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Honestly, kindles lost me when they went to touch screens. The screens weren't as sharp and the interface wasn't what I needed. I wish they forked the path instead of going touch screen-only.

yyzjohn

Banned
Honestly, kindles lost me when they went to touch screens. The screens weren't as sharp and the interface wasn't what I needed. I wish they forked the path instead of going touch screen-only.

Not as sharp? I have to disagree, I have a Kindle keyboard and a Kindle Voyage and the Voyage screen is far better.

Cheebo

Banned
This is not accurate. Maybe the old first gen touch devices but the Kindle Keyboard is far far less sharp than the current gen of Kindles. It's not even close.

This is not accurate. Maybe the old first gen touch devices but the Kindle Keyboard is far far less sharp than the current gen of Kindles. It's not even close.

I think he's referring to the fact that the capacitive sensing (which did not exist on the first Kindle Touch) adds a layer to the screen. Some people feel it softens the look of the screen. The early Sony's that did it certainly used an unrefined tech and it did look blurry. I don't see it on any of the Kindles. My Paperwhite gen 1 looks noticeably better than my Kindle 2. But I think the Voyage looks like just as big of an improvement over my PW. So I'm positive the capacitive layer is improved even more.

Noema

Hey guys, sort of a dumb question but...

I just lost my 3rd Gen kindle. (Left it in a cab). I'm looking into buying a new one, probably the cheapest model, to replace it.

When I originally bought my kindle in 2011, I bought it from Amazon USA and I've used my Amazon USA account on it. That's the account with all my purchased content.

However, now that Amazon Mexico exists, it's much cheaper for me to buy it from there and have it shipped and delivered the same day.

Can I use my Amazon USA account on the kindle purchased from Amazon Mexico? The devices aren't region locked or anything right?

I want to be 100% I won't be locked out of my Amazon USA account before pulling the trigger. Thanks in advance.

velociraptor

I have the Kindle which was released prior to the paperwhite - the one with the buttons.

I like how I've organised and laid out each and every book into categories eg 'science fiction' and so on.

If I buy the new Kindle, will I be able to transfer all that stuff alongside? I have got a ton of books at the Kindle store but I don't want them to be on my new device. I only want to transfer books on my current kindle as they are to my new one, with page numbers intact.

There is a weird contrast difference that can be quite striking. I have a Voyage and my old non-touch version's screen looks more like paper to me.

Hey guys, sort of a dumb question but...

I just lost my 3rd Gen kindle. (Left it in a cab). I'm looking into buying a new one, probably the cheapest model, to replace it.

When I originally bought my kindle in 2011, I bought it from Amazon USA and I've used my Amazon USA account on it. That's the account with all my purchased content.

However, now that Amazon Mexico exists, it's much cheaper for me to buy it from there and have it shipped and delivered the same day.

Can I use my Amazon USA account on the kindle purchased from Amazon Mexico? The devices aren't region locked or anything right?

I want to be 100% I won't be locked out of my Amazon USA account before pulling the trigger. Thanks in advance.

Are you currently living in Mexico right now? Cause when you get your Kindle, you can unregister the Mexico account and link it to your US account no problem, but I have heard of people getting locked out of the store after buying a certain amount of books in a region that doesn't match the country. Either way, if you ever get a message like that, you can contact customer service and get it unlocked.

Noema

Are you currently living in Mexico right now? Cause when you get your Kindle, you can unregister the Mexico account and link it to your US account no problem, but I have heard of people getting locked out of the store after buying a certain amount of books in a region that doesn't match the country. Either way, if you ever get a message like that, you can contact customer service and get it unlocked.

Yes, I live in Mexico. I've bought several dozen Kindle books without issue, so it's good to hear hat I can simply link it to the US account.

Thanks for the reply. Guess I'll be ordering the basic touch screen kindle.

Yes, I live in Mexico. I've bought several dozen Kindle books without issue, so it's good to hear hat I can simply link it to the US account.

Thanks for the reply. Guess I'll be ordering the basic touch screen kindle.

Okay perfect, you're golden then! And no problem!

Top Bottom