• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Grimalkin

Is there a set day when the Kindle deals flip?

Been trying to watch but it seems like they have so many different categories of deals.

Bulzeeb

hi guys, thinking about buying a Kindle Paperwhite and I have one question, whats the chance of having a decent black friday deal? and since I am not sure about there being a really good deal, do you think the refurbished ones are worth it? or is it better to get a brand new device?

thanks in advance

DOWN

Banned
hi guys, thinking about buying a Kindle Paperwhite and I have one question, whats the chance of having a decent black friday deal? and since I am not sure about there being a really good deal, do you think the refurbished ones are worth it? or is it better to get a brand new device?

thanks in advance
Reviews say refurbished models look new. There will very likely be deals next weekend, which don't apply to refurbished, so I went with a new one during a deal and love it.

Bane

Has the paperwhite ever been lower than $100? I've been eyeing it for a while but $20 doesn't seem like a great discount.

LogicStep

I don't do much reading and would like to change that. I'm torn between the Kindle and the Paperwhite. $50 difference. Maybe go for the regular since I'm still not in the habit of reading?
I should mention I have a fire but kinda feel it's heavy for reading comfortably.

Paperwhite is totally worth it over the basic Kindle. It has a much higher resolution screen and the frontlight. If you read a lot before bed or in dimly lit rooms or areas the frontlight is invaluable.

I was excited to receive my Kindle Paperwhite and use it today. Looks like there's a dead pixel and I already requested a replacement. Hope this isn't too common, but just a quick google search and it seems to be prevalent. =/

Frostburn

I was excited to receive my Kindle Paperwhite and use it today. Looks like there's a dead pixel and I already requested a replacement. Hope this isn't too common, but just a quick google search and it seems to be prevalent. =/

I've bought and owned 4 and never had a dead pixel, I'm sure the issue happens but I doubt many that buy one and have no problems are posting about not having any dead pixels.

I should clarify (4 Kindles, not 4 Paperwhites, though 2 were, first gen and second gen Paperwhites). I use a Voyage and my wife uses the 2nd Gen Paperwhite.

This sort of thing seems expected for e-ink technology.

but by and far, the companies will easily replace them and you shouldn't have a huge issue in the future.

Trust me, you'll love an ereader.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I admit I often doze off, but I swear my Kindle sometimes leaps chapters forward or backward for no reason. Anyone else experienced this? Especially frustrating when you read a spoiler from three chapters later by accident.

yyzjohn

Banned
I admit I often doze off, but I swear my Kindle sometimes leaps chapters forward or backward for no reason. Anyone else experienced this? Especially frustrating when you read a spoiler from three chapters later by accident.

Which kindle do you have? If you're using the Kindle 4 for example, pressing on this:

cqm1WQc.jpg

that will advance chapters. Always use the page turn buttons on the side (if your kindle has them)

wilflare

ended up getting the latest PaperWhite to replace my broken 2014 PaperWhite
really hope the Oasis 2 is waterproof and comes with a headphone jack for Audiobooks

TURBO1112

Love my paperwhite. Read everyday. Nothing wrong with it either, but I have been looking at the Oasis. Part of me is like I need that in my life. But another part is like why. It doesn't do anything different then your paper white can do. What is general consensus on it?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Question about the Origami case for Kindle Voyage: does it work as a landscape mode stand, or just portrait mode?

Frostburn

Question about the Origami case for Kindle Voyage: does it work as a landscape mode stand, or just portrait mode?

It works in both landscape and portrait mode and you can just flip it back so it lays flat against the back of the case so you can hold it with one hand just fine. I wasn't a big fan at first because it has to flip over the top but after using it a while I've gotten used to it just fine.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
It works in both landscape and portrait mode and you can just flip it back so it lays flat against the back of the case so you can hold it with one hand just fine. I wasn't a big fan at first because it has to flip over the top but after using it a while I've gotten used to it just fine.

Thanks! Good to know. I was mainly asking for lazy reading sessions while lying on my side in bed. That's when landscape mode with a stand can really come in handy.

Anyway, I bought it and Kindle Voyage. Haven't upgraded my Kindle since the old non-touch, no-backlight base Kindle (I think it was Gen 4 or 5), so it's gonna be quite the step-up. And I'll finally be able to use Japanese dictionaries with it, exciting!

Frostburn

Yeah I like the adjustable back-light for reading in bed at night without blasting my eyes and waking up my wife. I pretty much do all my reading in bed now and the Kindle Voyage is my favorite so far.

empyrean

Anyone in the uk sub to kindle unlimited? If so is it worth it? My worry is that's it's going to be 95% self published trash and difficult to actually find anything decent? (I find that with the kindle store in general tbh)

dLMN8R

My Kindle Paperwhite got a little crack in the screen and now the backlight is spread around a bit :-(

The device is still usable mostly fine, but if I were to replace it, what would folks recommend?

• I bought this one back in September 2012, so it was the first-ever Paperwhite
  • Are the current Paperwhites ($120) any better than the original released in September 2012? If so, in what ways?
  • What's the difference between the Paperwhite and Voyage anyway? Just a better backlight?
  • The Oasis is way outside my pricerange, but any chance it gets a price drop any time soon?
  • Anyone expect Kindles to go on sale soon in general? I probably just missed the Black Friday / holiday boat, but I can dream?

I just went from a gen 1 Paperwhite to a Voyage. I bought a refurbished one for $152. It's a big improvement. The lighter weight is very noticeable. The light is better and has a much larger range. The screen is clearer and resolution higher. The flush screen is nice. It performs faster. And the software has seen significant improvements since 2012. I appreciate the PagePress feature as well, although I still mostly use the touch screen.

I believe the latest PW has the same guts as the Voyage, So you'll get the performance, the software, and the higher resolution screen. It would be a very noticeable upgrade. But if you would like a different form factor, like I did, you may want the Voyage.

dLMN8R

I just went from a gen 1 Paperwhite to a Voyage. I bought a refurbished one for $152. It's a big improvement. The lighter weight is very noticeable. The light is better and has a much larger range. The screen is clearer and resolution higher. The flush screen is nice. It performs faster. And the software has seen significant improvements since 2012. I appreciate the PagePress feature as well, although I still mostly use the touch screen.

I believe the latest PW has the same guts as the Voyage, So you'll get the performance, the software, and the higher resolution screen. It would be a very noticeable upgrade. But if you would like a different form factor, like I did, you may want the Voyage.

Oh nice! I didn't even consider a refurbished one but Amazon's site shows it's backed with the same warranty as a retail one. And still for $152. I think I'll check it out.

The only thing I caution about with a refurb, is that someone returned them for a reason. So have an expectation that you might return 1 or 2 before you get one you like. The first one I got had a few pinholes in the screen so there were bright spots of light. Amazon immediately sent a replacement that arrived the next day. The screen was almost perfect, but I noticed when I turned the screen that certain angles showcased a pinhole. I decided to stick with this one because it was at the very bottom of the screen below the reading area. I don't notice it at all when reading.

This could happen on a new device too, but I was not surprised my refurbs had the issue.

dLMN8R

The only thing I caution about with a refurb, is that someone returned them for a reason. So have an expectation that you might return 1 or 2 before you get one you like. The first one I got had a few pinholes in the screen so there were bright spots of light. Amazon immediately sent a replacement that arrived the next day. The screen was almost perfect, but I noticed when I turned the screen that certain angles showcased a pinhole. I decided to stick with this one because it was at the very bottom of the screen below the reading area. I don't notice it at all when reading.

This could happen on a new device too, but I was not surprised my refurbs had the issue.

Yeah that makes sense.

<3 Amazon though. They understood my predicament but couldn't accept any trade-in for my busted device. They did give me $15-off the Voyage though for the trouble :)

Would u guys recommend a refurbed kindle voyage? I want physical buttons so bad and hate touch screen

But I cant afford a new one in canada.

Thinking of selling my kobo glo hd and pay off the difference but im unsure of the quality of a refurb kindle

dLMN8R

Would u guys recommend a refurbed kindle voyage? I want physical buttons so bad and hate touch screen

But I cant afford a new one in canada.

Thinking of selling my kobo glo hd and pay off the difference but im unsure of the quality of a refurb kindle

That's what I just got and I really like it.

Quality seems to be 100% perfect in my case.

Just to further expand on my posts above in regards to Refurbished Kindles, it's a great option. If you have Prime the shipping will be quick. So should your device come in below expectations you can immediately put in for a replacement and it'll arrive the next day. Plus you have 30 days to decide if you like it to return it and it has the same warranty as a new one.

The voyage can do a landscape mode? lol I've had mine for like a year and a half and I never knew.

Frostburn

The voyage can do a landscape mode? lol I've had mine for like a year and a half and I never knew.

The Voyage official origami case can, as far as media goes I think it depends.

Update: Seems you can put the Voyage into landscape mode for any book you want un the Aa options section

As for the PagePress feature on the Voyage, it depends what you like about buttons. It's still touch, just pressure sensitive. The force feedback is never consistent for me, so it's not really the same sensation. But it is in the bezel so you don't have to touch the screen.

I still prefer the touch screen. It's often just more intuitive to swipe the screen. Especially because you can grip the device how you want and just swipe. The PP areas aren't necessarily where my thumb rests. They also don't work in landscape mode.

As for the PagePress feature on the Voyage, it depends what you like about buttons. It's still touch, just pressure sensitive. The force feedback is never consistent for me, so it's not really the same sensation. But it is in the bezel so you don't have to touch the screen.

I still prefer the touch screen. It's often just more intuitive to swipe the screen. Especially because you can grip the device how you want and just swipe. The PP areas aren't necessarily where my thumb rests. They also don't work in landscape mode.

I like Press Page. I can just hold the kindle from the side and squeeze to change pages without moving any fingers.

Haha, its too bad that I cant just try it myself.

Here's the problem: Im in Canada.

Amazon Canada SUCKS. They dont have the Voyage, and it seems they haven't had it since 2015!?

Tons of negative reviews and pissed customers.

We dont even have the oasis.

Ideally, I want the Oasis but cant afford that. I just want BUTTONS.

Is Page Press like the button pressing on a new MacBook or an iPhone 6? Like, it's a vibration that mimics a press?

If thats what it is, and if its much more responsive than touch, Im so down. the issue with my touch screen Kobo Glo HD is that so many times, I swipe accidentally, or it doesn't register and its the most annoying thing.

Will Page Press alleviate that? Im going to USA soon and feel like I can just buy a $200 CAD refurb of the Voyage and sell my Glo HD, though I dont know the value of that.

Thanks!

Sounds like the PagePress is right for you. The sensation is as if you had your finger on a guitar string and someone plucked it. You can adjust it. And if you use a case you may want to put it at its strongest.

yyzjohn

Banned
Haha, its too bad that I cant just try it myself.

Here's the problem: Im in Canada.

Amazon Canada SUCKS. They dont have the Voyage, and it seems they haven't had it since 2015!?

Tons of negative reviews and pissed customers.

We dont even have the oasis.

Ideally, I want the Oasis but cant afford that. I just want BUTTONS.

Is Page Press like the button pressing on a new MacBook or an iPhone 6? Like, it's a vibration that mimics a press?

If thats what it is, and if its much more responsive than touch, Im so down. the issue with my touch screen Kobo Glo HD is that so many times, I swipe accidentally, or it doesn't register and its the most annoying thing.

Will Page Press alleviate that? Im going to USA soon and feel like I can just buy a $200 CAD refurb of the Voyage and sell my Glo HD, though I dont know the value of that.

Thanks!

What do you mean Amazon Canada doesn't have it? You can order it here :

https://www.amazon.ca/High-Resolution-Display-Adaptive-PagePress-Sensors/dp/B00IOY524S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485869784&sr=8-1&keywords=kindle+voyage

They also have the Oasis:

https://www.amazon.ca/New-Leather-Charging-High-Resolution-Display/dp/B010EK1GOE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485869809&sr=8-1&keywords=kindle+oasis

Top Bottom