• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon launches Anime Strike (paid VOD channel on top of prime)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuukan

So the mysterious riddle why Amazon US did not post some new anime they licensed last season.

The answer is they want you to pay for it on top of Amazon Prime.

source

Linkura

Fucking ridiculous that they are charging 5 bucks a month on top of Prime. "More than 1,000 movies and TV episodes" sounds pretty low for the money considering how many episodes most anime are. That's what, a couple dozen anime shows right there? I see this going absolutely nowhere; Crunchyroll is a much better value and offers much of their content for absolutely free if you are willing to deal with ads.

Faiz

Nice try @Amazon. Thanks for sitting on Great Passage only to pull this nonsense. Treat it like your other "original content".

Lkr

Ok I see why you might be pissed but all things considered if they continue to add content $5/mo isn't that much

Mendrox

So the mysterious riddle why Amazon US did not post some new anime they licensed last season.

The answer is they want you to pay for it on top of Amazon Prime.

source

Hahahaha fuck Amazon

Ok I see why you might be pissed but all things considered if they continue to add content $5/mo isn't that much

No.

"C'mon 5$ here" "Only 10$ more a year for PS Plus! It's not that bad" "Oh service XY wants 3 bucks more? No problem!"

Suddenly you paid 100$+ more a year without even realizing it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
"C'mon 5$ here" "Only 10$ more a year for PS Plus! It's not that bad" "Oh service XY wants 3 bucks more? No problem!"

Suddenly you paid 100$+ more a year without even realizing it.
To be fair, it's what people wanted when they dropped cable!

Branduil

It really is mindboggling how much of a blatant scumbag move this is. It really is just an attempt to extort US customers... also a fairly dumb one that I don't think will work, given how readily anime fans will turn to piracy.

sonicmj1

The Hollywood Reporter said:
But the program was missing a channel devoted to adult anime. "There wasn't an offering that's been made available in other platforms that would meet our customers' needs," Paull adds. Crunchyroll, an anime service owned by Otter Media, is not currently part of Amazon Channels.

What is this guy talking about?

Who do they think is going to pay for this?

Ryuukan

To be fair, it's what people wanted when they dropped cable!

Amazon prime video is already offered as a paid monthly service. This isn't like paying extra for HBO or Starz through Amazon Video. These are shows Amazon owns the exclusive worldwide streaming rights to and they want to charge extra to let their paying customers watch.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The pricing is abysmal compared to just about every other video streaming service out there...from Netflix to Crunchyroll to...Amazon Prime. Honestly this is so stupid it is mindboggling. Do you think the other major anime streaming services were stroking their chin thinking they could explode on to the scene with super niche shows from the Noitanima block? Who is the audience for this?

Mendrox

It's almost like content is expensive

And? I know that content is expensive. I am producing content myself, but people already pay more and more for Amazon Prime every year and now they don't even get all the content that they had before. Bullshit.

Just stupid for America, not like that I would care here in Germany where I HAVE TO pay my money monthly for cable and radio (even though I am not watching TV) for content which I don't even consume or want to support, but there is no other choice here.

Somnid

The pricing is abysmal compared to just about every other video streaming service out there...from Netflix to Crunchyroll to...Amazon Prime. Honestly this is so stupid it is mindboggling. Do you think the other major anime streaming services were stroking their chin thinking they could explode on to the scene with super niche shows from the Noitanima block? Who is the audience for this?

This is the argument for every early stage paid-service, including all the ones you mentioned. I would assume this is a long-term strategy of building a library like anything else. It's not worth it now, but in 2 years, who knows.

Elandyll

Banned
I don't have a problem with the idea.
It will depend on the amount and quality of content, for both VOD and the day & date stuff.

If it's stuff that Netflix is offering already included in their basic sub, or that's "free" (as in included in base Prime) in other regions, it's going to be hard to justify.

1000+ shows sounds good... Unless it's all stuff that's been on Netflix (or even Amazon previously) for years.

It's not just that they want an extra 5 bucks a month for anime they took off of netflix and cruchy roll, but their selection is so small that it repeats on it's own page.

bQ5w6zK.gif

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
This is the argument for every early stage paid-service, including all the ones you mentioned. I would assume this is a long-term strategy of building a library like anything else. It's not worth it now, but in 2 years, who knows.
It's not similar to any of the other platforms I mentioned, where Funimation had a history as a physical anime licensor and Crunchyroll transitioned from being an illegal streaming website to a legal one. More than that the space is already very crowded, and the reach of the shows Amazon has access to is pitiful. What is supposed to draw people to this service with the shows they have? Zero heavy hitters.

JLynn

Apparently these companies don't realize how resourceful anime fans are. They will watch the shows on their terms by any means necessary

This may be the biggest reason why CR and Funi decided to work together

Nope. It's one of the reasons. The biggest reason is Netflix as they are actually financing anime productions now.

this is the first VOD sub Amazon is offering where they own the license to the content

this is no different that netflix charging $5/month extra for action movies

*Reviews Netflix queue and still sees Tony Jaa, Dolph Lundgren, and Michael Jai White action movies on $11.99 plan*

Details requested. I'm paying $11.99 because I had it streamed on more than two outlets.

duckroll

I don't have a problem with the idea.
It will depend on the amount and quality of content, for both VOD and the day & date stuff.

If it's stuff that Netflix is offering already included in their basic sub, or that's "free" (as in included in base Prime) in other regions, it's going to be hard to justify.

1000+ shows sounds good... Unless it's all stuff that's been on Netflix (or even Amazon previously) for years.

The biggest attraction of the lot there is The Great Passage, a recent series that just finished airing in Japan. It was available from the first week of broadcast with English subtitles in the UK for Prime subscribers, but strangely absent in the US. Then when Prime Video launched worldwide in all the other countries recently, every country had that too, except the US.

Now we know why, because the grand plan was for them top launch this "premium" service in the US on top of the Prime subscription. So yeah, you're paying a premium price for something the rest of the world got from this same company weeks or months ago. Hooray!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
But the program was missing a channel devoted to adult anime. "There wasn't an offering that's been made available in other platforms that would meet our customers' needs," Paull adds. Crunchyroll, an anime service owned by Otter Media, is not currently part of Amazon Channels.

We are getting video on demand NTR?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Lol nobody is going to pay for this shit on top of or instead of Crunchyroll.

The holy trinity is still

VRV (Crunchy and Funi for $10)
Hulu (A lot of older anime + modern TV Shows)
Netflix (Self explanatory and has their own licensed anime included with the price)

Aselith

The holy trinity is still

VRV (Crunchy and Funi for $10)
Hulu (A lot of older anime + modern TV Shows)
Netflix (Self explanatory and has their own licensed anime included with the price)

Isn't the VRV tech shit though? Can you just log in to the CAR/Funi apps with that?

gatti-man

I can't imagine this will take off. Not to mention all their anime is censored. R rated movies with boobs ok, drawn boobs? Nope too risqué.

Yayate

Noot very happy that it's a separate fee, but I'll be subscribing when it comes to it just because they officially localized a franchise that's important to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom