• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon LOTR production thread

SirKicksalot

Jan 9, 2018
The other active thread is based on outdated information, so I thought a new one would be good.

tl;Dr:

- the series is set in the Second Age. The Second Age ended with the defeat of Sauron (FOTR prologue). Amazon only has the rights for this time period and can't contradict anything Tolkien wrote. Five seasons were included in the contract, two already greenlit by Amazon

- John Howe (concept art) and Tom Shippey (Tolkien scholar) are on board. They were key staff for the six movies, with Howe being responsible for much of the visual design. I can't find anything about Weta being involved, but since it's shot in NZ it's hard to believe the Workshop's not in.

- J.A. Bayona directs the first two episodes. Filming starts in February 2020. Apparently there will be a hiatus of a few months after the first two episodes are in the can.

Cast reveal here

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jun 26, 2007
Best Coast
- the series is set in the Second Age. The Second Age ended with the defeat of Sauron (FOTR prologue). Amazon only has the rights for this time period and can't contradict anything Tolkien wrote.
Is there already lore about this age, or is it uncharted territory?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Jul 2, 2013
Oregon
Is there already lore about this age, or is it uncharted territory?
In flim: more or less uncharted territory aside from the opening scene of Fellowship that shows the "final battle" with Sauron.

The LOTR books reference this age quite a bit but typically focus on the history of the time period: things like the creation of the one ring, the creation of the Ringwraiths from the kings of old, the races all coming together to take down Sauron, etc. Tolkien (JRR, edited by Christopher) wrote pretty extensively about the second age in his "Unfinished Tales" work which released in 1980. Unfinished Tales mostly talked about the island of Numenor and it's inhabitant's migration to Middle Earth (in particular, the elves and Galadriel).

When Unfinished Tales was a semi-success, Christopher Tolkien started compiling his father's notes into a collected works known collectively as "The History of Middle Earth".

So there is no shortage of source material for them to draw from. But the 2nd age also took place over the span of about 3,000+ years so it's possible they toss most of this in the garbage and just start their own story that fits in the existing cannon timeline.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jun 26, 2007
Best Coast
Thanks for the responses, it looks like they have a lot of room to stretch their legs, but will still have enough broad strokes source material to guide them and keep them (hopefully) from derailing.

Hopefully, they don't pull a Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

SirKicksalot

Jan 9, 2018
I suspect the series deals with the end of this age. The island of Numenor is drowned like Atlantis 20 years before the movie prologue of FOTR and the flat world is turned into a planet.

Warner, New Line, HarperCollins and Alan Howe are on board so the look of the show might stay true to what's in the FOTR prologue (Isildur has Numenor armor, some important characters were designed etc).

TindalosPup

Gold Member
Nov 1, 2019
Thread watched, I have high hopes for this

Amazon, you have my trust, for now, don't mess this up

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Jul 2, 2013
Oregon
I suspect the series deals with the end of this age. The island of Numenor is drowned like Atlantis 20 years before the movie prologue of FOTR and the flat world is turned into a planet.

Warner, New Line, HarperCollins and Alan Howe are on board so the look of the show might stay true to what's in the FOTR prologue (Isildur has Numenor armor, some important characters were designed etc).
This does make the most sense, especially since what most people care about that happened in the 2nd age is how it ended.

How did "the last alliance of elves and men" form and why? How did the races of Middle Earth come to find out that the shadow (Sauron) was trying to take over Middle-Earth? How does Elrond fit into all of this?

Looking forward to this.

Will be interesting how and what they cover.. Since there are so many important points but spread over so much time. I'd almost be cool if each season was a different point in the time line. Most of the main characters have long lifespans in this time so it could work with keeping most cast from season to season.

Hopefully they plan everything out ahead of time for X number of seasons and don't just go making shit up for padding.

Kev Kev

Nov 20, 2019
Daytona Beach, FL

god this would be so amazing. im torn on whether or not i want to read through all my books again. on one hand, they're so good. but on the other, ill likely criticize the show even more if the books are fresh in my mind.

still though, im excited this is actually happening. lets hope it does the source material at least some justice.

SirKicksalot

Jan 9, 2018
That actually happened? lol
Yes. The men of Numenor blow the fuck out of Sauron and take him prisoner. He corrupts the king and manipulates him to attack the continent where elves and demigods live, in search of the secret of immortality. God gets mad and destroys the invading armada and sinks their house lol. Few survive, including Aragorn's ancestors. Sauron manages to return to Middle-Earth and 20 years later the prologue happens.
The continent of the elves is taken out of the world, which is made round and has some new lands are added. A normal ship going West would now circle the planet but Elves can still reach the continent by metaphysical means. That's where they're going during LOTR. It's an equivalent of Heaven. VIPs like Frodo, Bilbo, Gimli and Sam are also allowed to go there before their death.

Darkmakaimura

Dec 12, 2008
fortune-summoners.wikia.com
Yes. The men of Numenor blow the fuck out of Sauron and take him prisoner. He corrupts the king and manipulates him to attack the continent where elves and demigods live, in search of the secret of immortality. God gets mad and destroys the invading armada and sinks their house lol. Few survive, including Aragorn's ancestors. Sauron manages to return to Middle-Earth and 20 years later the prologue happens.
The continent of the elves is taken out of the world, which is made round and has some new lands are added. A normal ship going West would now circle the planet but Elves can still reach the continent by metaphysical means. That's where they're going during LOTR. It's an equivalent of Heaven. VIPs like Frodo, Bilbo, Gimli and Sam are also allowed to go there before their death.
Yeah aren't the Balrons from a Hell like realm that exists "beneath" the Heaven type realm where the Middle Earth equivalent of gods exist?

SirKicksalot

Jan 9, 2018
Christopher Tolkien died. Article from a local French newspaper:

He was 95 years old and lived in France. A gigantic amount of his father's work was painstakingly compiled and published by him. The Hobbit was written for him as a child and he helped with LOTR.
The stories this show is based on were mostly published by him.
Control of the Tolkien estate was given to his successors in 2018 so his death won't affect this project. However, the family might feel less pressure to keep a tight lid on things.

Contica

Feb 1, 2016
Christopher Tolkien died. Article from a local French newspaper:

He was 95 years old and lived in France. A gigantic amount of his father's work was painstakingly compiled and published by him. The Hobbit was written for him as a child and he helped with LOTR.
The stories this show is based on were mostly published by him.
Control of the Tolkien estate was given to his successors in 2018 so his death won't affect this project. However, the family might feel less pressure to keep a tight lid on things.
He was a bastion. He ruled the work of his father with an iron fist, and I fear the future will be far less concerned with staying true to Tolkien's works.