• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon no longer selling Versus XIII?

Dereck

Change of plan guys.
lightningi.jpg
There's a big problem when you can change heads on a body and both appear visually accurate.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So many signs point to a re-reveal but I'm honestly expecting disappointment.

Maybe Hashimoto meant to be excited for E3 because of LR and XHD, stupid I know, but we've never gotten concrete confirmation a PS4 FF will be shown or if SE will even be presenting at the Sony conference. Just his engrish statement.

If we find out Nomura is going to E3, then ill start getting really hyped.

To be fair SE hasn't said it won't be at E3 this year.

Also, Hashimoto said in September it would resurface this year anyway.

Spongebob

Banned
Interesting, so is he saying that Versus XIII won't be called Versus XIII, but it won't be called FF XV either? I'm also curious to know what he means it might be an exlsuive, "kind of." Maybe timed exclusive to the PS4? Or exclsuive in certain regions or something?

Also, I'm really interesting in hearing more about that Guerilla Games project. I'm guessing that's the RPG we've heard a small-fraction about, right? I can't wait to see that. The more RPG's the better! It's a little concerning he was off about them showing off the new IP instead of Killzone 4 (Shadow Fall) first though.
He's hinted that it will be called XV.

Spongebob

Banned
We are basing this off several key things:

- Last year amazon Japan listed the game's name as a "Tenitive title".
- Shinji Hashimoto, the new Final Fantasy Brand Director, is only currently producing Versus and asked everyone to be excited for E3.
- Last year Hashimoto said they would start talking about Versus within a year (This was early September when he said this).
- Nomura said he would "Soon show the FUTURE of Final Fantasy".
-Recently Nomura said they have a concrete date set for the reveal of more Versus information.
-Roen listed for months on their site that they finished work for XV in 2008 then switched it back to Versus XIII saying it was a "typo".
- Merchandise is being made for Noctis (the perfume). You don't make merchandise and start marketing it unless you plan on releasing the game (or at least info) soon.
- Verendus is very confident in his "info" and has never backpedaled it.
- Rumors from various sites say the same thing from their "insiders" saying Versus will be at E3 with a name change. When multiple sites insiders say the same thing you tend to take notice.
- We recently learned that the Noctis fragrance is being released and sold only two days after E3.
- And now we have here Amazon now taking Versus off their pre-order page. (FYI they would only do this for two reasons: either the games canceled or its bit named Versus anymore. And since we know the game isn't canned... ;D)

Those are the reasons we are confident about what we're saying.
Two days after E3 is also incidentally the 15th of June.

Maybe Hashimoto meant to be excited for E3 because of LR and XHD, stupid I know, but we've never gotten concrete confirmation a PS4 FF will be shown or if SE will even be presenting at the Sony conference. Just his engrish statement.

Yes we have. Hashimoto made that statement at the ps4 reveal. He said something like "on the occasion of the ps4 announcement I want to say we are developing a FF title".

Rad-

I'm going to be pretty pissed off at both SE and Sony if the game doesn't release on PS3. That was one of the two games I bought PS3 in the first place. (The other one was FFXIII, don't laugh)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'm going to be pretty pissed off at both SE and Sony if the game doesn't release on PS3. That was one of the two games I bought PS3 in the first place. (The other one was FFXIII, don't laugh)

Be prepared to be upset then. You should never buy a game system just for one or two games.

Be prepared to be upset then. You should never buy a game system just for one or two games.

I bought my PS3 for Versus but also knew there were many games on PS3 that I wanted to play. I'm definitely down for an exclusive PS4 Versus/XV since I'm picking one up at launch, anyway.

Be prepared to be upset then. You should never buy a game just for one or two games.

This. The notion of people being pissed about versus not being PS3 anymore because they bought a PS3 for it is stupid. It's not like there hasn't been incredible games to make it worth the money without Versus.

Rad-

I have a habit of always doing that. :p Also bought 360 for Mass Effect and Lost Odyssey.

Of course both system had plenty of other interesting games after that but those 2 were the main ones that sold me the system at that time.

I definitely agree that is the most logical conclusion, but logic and SE don't go together these days, which is why I'm very pessimistic.

This would be illogical even by their standards. Go to the ps4 event to secretly hype up a ps3 game reveal. An already announced ps3 game at that.

StuBurns

Banned
I understand buying systems for specific games, but you really can't be pissed if the game never ships. At best, announcements are a declaration of intent, they're not a promise. If there is really only ever one game you want on a system, and it's exclusive, wait till the day it's on the shelf before buying the system.

I was thinking about this the other day. I bought a PS3 mostly for the two FFXIII's announced in '06, and whatever the next Team ICO game was going to be, now, it's five years later and FFXIII wasn't very good, the second FFXIII and the next Team ICO game are no where to be seen. But ultimately, even if I never got the games I wanted, it's not as if I haven't been happy with the PS3, I would have bought one anyway.

However, next week if they show Versus again, I want a release date, because it's bad enough to skip an entire generation and lead promotion for the following one, but to not have it close enough to get a release date when they re-reveal it, they really are taking the piss.

I understand buying systems for specific games, but you really can't be pissed if the game never ships. At best, announcements are a declaration of intent, they're not a promise. If there is really only ever one game you want on a system, and it's exclusive, wait till the day it's on the shelf before buying the system.

I was thinking about this the other day. I bought a PS3 mostly for the two FFXIII's announced in '06, and whatever the next Team ICO game was going to be, now, it's five years later and FFXIII wasn't very good, the second FFXIII and the next Team ICO game are no where to be seen. But ultimately, even if I never got the games I wanted, it's not as if I haven't been happy with the PS3, I would have bought one anyway.

However, next week if they show Versus again, I want a release date, because it's bad enough to skip an entire generation and lead promotion for the following one, but to not have it close enough to get a release date when they re-reveal it, they really are taking the piss.

I think expecting a specific release date is asking a little too much. Season and year is best case scenario, if the rumors all hold up Spring 2014 would be my guess.

dramatis

What if they say "Spring 2014" or something like that?

I don't think it will release this year, so I don't think it's feasible to ask for a specific release date over six months before the game will be hitting stores. If it's within a year, I think it's acceptable to re-reveal it without a specific release date. Of course, this is all 'in hindsight', but at this point there are a lot of people in the desert, and even if they don't know a specific distance to the oasis they will be glad to drink what water they can get.

It's a fairly sad situation.

StuBurns

Banned
What if they say "Spring 2014" or something like that?

I don't think it will release this year, so I don't think it's feasible to ask for a specific release date over six months before the game will be hitting stores. If it's within a year, I think it's acceptable to re-reveal it without a specific release date. Of course, this is all 'in hindsight', but at this point there are a lot of people in the desert, and even if they don't know a specific distance to the oasis they will be glad to drink what water they can get.

It's a fairly sad situation.
Yeah, that's fine, a window is okay. I just meant I don't want no indication, then it drag on forever like it did this time. I don't believe it will, and I think it'll certainly ship next year, but I just want them to outright confirm it.

Fraxin

Just wondering, did Nomura ever take the stage and announce a title at E3?

I remember him attending the event back in 2010 if I'm not mistaken, and there was no announcement. so him coming or not might have nothing to do with Versus XIII/XV

Midou

What if they give an exact release date for Versus but it's like 'June 23rd 2015'? :p

Would also be funny if Versus got only bullshit behind close doors reveal again, that would totally be the kind of thing modern day Square-Enix would do, hopefully they learned their lesson, but who knows.

Just wondering, did Nomura ever take the stage and announce a title at E3?

I remember him attending the event back in 2010 if I'm not mistaken, and there was no announcement. so him coming or not might have nothing to do with Versus XIII/XV

Pretty sure he presented during the initial Fabula Nova Crystallis presentation at E3 2006. He might have been there for Kh3d more recently but I'm not sure sure.

StuBurns

Banned
What if they give an exact release date for Versus but it's like 'June 23rd 2015'? :p

Would also be funny if Versus got only bullshit behind close doors reveal again, that would totally be the kind of thing modern day Square-Enix would do, hopefully they learned their lesson, but who knows.
If the rumours are true, Sony are co-developing it, so it'll be at the show.

Izick

I would assume so as SE is in Japan.

I wonder if that has anything to do with TLG's development? Probably not, but it'd be funny if two of the most anticapted games this generation that have taken forever to come out are somehow connected now. They have to be a multi-game studio, since they're wortking on Knack as well (with help from Cerny).

It definitely sounds interesting though. SCEJ has never let me down in the past.

I've been out of most of these discussions, would someone like to explain why everyone thinks it's becoming a numbered game? Other than them seemingly doing away with FNC, of course. Just curious.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Why are people expecting this exactly?

The PS4 may be a great console, but so far it has sold 0 units; it would be suicide moving it exclusively to an unproven console.

It looked like Xenoblade Chronicles *runs away*.
Looks like open world FF, huge world, not straight line, etc. Characters looked really shitty though.

Armchair Pachter? What about Metal Gear Solid 2 PS2, and Final Fantasy X?
You have to invest in a system before you can see fruition.

Who plays a system with no games? Oh wait... Me (Wii-U)

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Unfortunately I couldn't find links for that conference and Nomura.

Even before that, I was in 8th grade, and they were working on PS2 versions of FF 12 and FF 13.

They scrapped that 13 and changed the engine to Fabula Nova Crystallis. I am 22 now, so 9 years later.

StuBurns

Banned
I was talking about this E3, not the game as a whole (though, if by some miracle it does ever come within the next 25 years, it'll probably disappoint).
You mean it'll be shown but disappoint? There's no way. Regardless of how good it is, it will be aesthetically stunning, and the gameplay will at least look very fluid and flashy.

Top Bottom