• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon no longer selling Versus XIII?

I wonder if that has anything to do with TLG's development? Probably not, but it'd be funny if two of the most anticapted games this generation that have taken forever to come out are somehow connected now. They have to be a multi-game studio, since they're wortking on Knack as well (with help from Cerny).

It definitely sounds interesting though. SCEJ has never let me down in the past.

TLG was moved to PS4 as well lol....

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
If the rumours are true, Sony are co-developing it, so it'll be at the show.

Quality assurance babe, it has to be, this game has been in the works for yearsss.

Midou

What if they took the Versus assets and turned it into a new game as FFXV with the same main and other characters but different game concept?

I could see them thinking Versus is 'too dark' for a mainline FF or something. I remember it was meant to be like a Shakespeare tragedy or something. Perhaps SE will make him streamline it up.

What if they took the Versus assets and turned it into a new game as FFXV with the same main and other characters but different game concept?

I could see them thinking Versus is 'too dark' for a mainline FF or something. I remember it was meant to be like a Shakespeare tragedy or something. Perhaps SE will make him streamline it up.

Nothings wrong with the concept, though. The only thing Versus has that's similar to XIII is their beliefs and the goddess Etro.

Midou

Nothings wrong with the concept, though. The only thing Versus has that's similar to XIII is their beliefs and the goddess Etro.

I agree, I think it all sounded great, and really it's not similar to XIII at all as a whole, other than those minor things. I was just thinking they might try to change it up for mainline series appeal if they rename it to XV. Mainline FFs tend not to have darker themes. At least not to that extent. You could argue how evil various villains are, but usually there is plenty to counter it, Versus looked like it might be darker/more serious. We'll see though.

I agree, I think it all sounded great, and really it's not similar to XIII at all as a whole, other than those minor things. I was just thinking they might try to change it up for mainline series appeal if they rename it to XV. Mainline FFs tend not to have darker themes. At least not to that extent. You could argue how evil various villains are, but usually there is plenty to counter it, Versus looked like it might be darker/more serious. We'll see though.

I don't know. I think the darker theme is great. It's something different compared to their older installments and may appeal to more people. I think it'll be great, but who knows, we don't know a lot about the game at this point and so much could have been changed.

I've been out of most of these discussions, would someone like to explain why everyone thinks it's becoming a numbered game? Other than them seemingly doing away with FNC, of course. Just curious.

I posted it on page 3 I'll quote it in just a second....

There.

Me said:
We are basing this off several key things:

- Last year amazon Japan listed the game's name as a "Tenitive title".
- Shinji Hashimoto, the new Final Fantasy Brand Director, is only currently producing Versus and asked everyone to be excited for E3.
- Last year Hashimoto said they would start talking about Versus within a year (This was early September when he said this).
- Nomura said he would "Soon show the FUTURE of Final Fantasy".
-Recently Nomura said they have a concrete date set for the reveal of more Versus information.
-Roen listed for months on their site that they finished work for XV in 2008 then switched it back to Versus XIII saying it was a "typo".
- Merchandise is being made for Noctis (the perfume). You don't make merchandise and start marketing it unless you plan on releasing the game (or at least info) soon.
- Verendus is very confident in his "info" and has never backpedaled it.
- Rumors from various sites say the same thing from their "insiders" saying Versus will be at E3 with a name change. When multiple sites insiders say the same thing you tend to take notice.
- We recently learned that the Noctis fragrance is being released and sold only two days after E3.
- And now we have here Amazon now taking Versus off their pre-order page. (FYI they would only do this for two reasons: either the games canceled or its bit named Versus anymore. And since we know the game isn't canned... ;D)

Those are the reasons we are confident about what we're saying.

Unfortunately I couldn't find links for that conference and Nomura.

Here you go:
http://ps3.ign.com/dor/articles/705855/e3-2006-square-enix-press-conference-video/videos/square_e3_pressconf_050806.html

He never said "next" or "new" final fantasy if i remember correctly.

Correct.

HeelPower

Actually, Nomura and Kitase have stated several reasons why Versus is a spin-off.

Versus , Type-0 , FFXIII are actually all different versions of FFXIII. I watched the E3 2006 conference, the plan was to offer three completely different faces of FFXIII. It has always been a very important title to them hence the extreme silence about it and implementation of luminous into it.

Even that could be easily altered and changed to eliminate any relatedness and introduce a new mythos.Even though I don't see that as much of a problem since players aren't familiar with FNC and it can actually be a very interesting Mythology.

Versus , Type-0 , FFXIII are actually all different versions of FFXIII. I watched the E3 2006 conference, the plan was to offer three completely different faces of FFXIII. It has always been a very important title to them hence the extreme silence about it and implementation of luminous into it.

Correct. It was never intended to be looked upon as a "spin-off" as we can clearly see from the extreme high quality it showed from the 2011 trailer.

Voror

My greatest fear, aside from the game being bad of course, is that the core concepts have been changed in some fashion to make it lighter or more streamlined as the tone of the world was one of the things I liked most from the previews of Versus.

HeelPower

Correct. It was never intended to be looked upon as a "spin-off" as we can clearly see from the extreme high quality it showed from the 2011 trailer.

It holds up extremely well and it has probably improved even further than that....I REALLY can't wait for this magic to be released...I dunno why people say it looks dated when some screen shots just show how jaw dropping it is..

FinalFantasyVersusXIII_combat.jpg

Chake

Banned
I doubt they are going to show a lot of the game, since they have like 3 FF games to market. I'm expecting a name change, and some info (no trailer) to keep us hanging for the next e3.

I doubt they are going to show a lot of the game, since they have like 3 FF games to market. I'm expecting a name change, and some info (no trailer) to keep us hanging for the next e3.

They will show a gameplay trailer, say it's coming out in 2014 for PS4 and that's it.

The minute when they show a trailer for Versus (XV) on Sony's stage, this will be me....

mindblown.gif

Edit:
BTW my favorite part:

"And it's a launch title"
"NNOOOOOO!!!"
*Boom sound effects*
^_^

HeelPower

They will show a gameplay trailer, say it's coming out in 2014 for PS4 and that's it.

They should have a prominent demo at sony's conference...Its their chance to show gamers and new audience why they matter and can make great games for next gen.

Stage demo with someone playing the game + Announcement release window + Trailer at the booth is what they need for this game.

Fraxin

Thanks for the Video, what I was thinking was that Nomura being in the Sony Conference.

I do agree, it seemed that the team had the intention of providing an experience better than that of FFXIII.

Verendus

Banned
I should probably wait until after E3 before saying more, but what the hell, I'll say a little bit more.

Firstly, 'Versus XIII' will be at E3. This is set in stone right now. It was pretty much set in stone from months ago. What did Nomura say? He's looking forward to the spring or some crap? I'm pretty sure I read that. That's kind of how far back they were good to go. And beyond that, he was told years ago for when he needs to be ready.

Also, I guess the following information isn't too intrusive and I think could be quite good so that it can provide some understanding regarding some things happening right now, and over the last few years. Especially for fans since obviously SE doesn't speak to you about anything. Beyond FFXIII's release, and the initial launch of FF14, quite a few drastic changes occurred. Even whilst those were being developed, there was a lot of discussion internally going on, but once they were out, some events occurred that they pushed ahead and made a change. As folks know, FF14 was a pretty big mistake and handled poorly. FFXIII also failed to accomplish what was necessary, and a huge part of this was the poor management of the game's development, and the failure of their engine.

To summarise it all, because of what happened with FFXIII and FF14, and the internal problems at the time, priorities changed to saving what could be saved and preparing better for the future instead. This is why for the past few years, you've basically had FFXIII sequels and full effort in trying to salvage FF14. The recent changes with management at SE is also to prepare for the next generation and hopefully giving a new and somewhat better image than SE have given themselves over these past few years. Best way to do that? Reset button with a new generation.

'Versus XIII' was the first project affected by the change and instead given a more long-term focus. It needs to set the tone for what's to come. So, in a way, there is a huge amount of focus behind it, and a lot riding on its success. At the same time, what Wada said all those years ago about being able to provide consistent content of high quality games; that's what will be the focus as soon as this next generation begins. The last 2-3 years have been about getting ready for that.

You miss the first year of the next generation platforms, and it can have a significant effect. You miss 2-3 years, and you're missing way too much time. This, all the while, other development studios are releasing big games every year essentially and selling millions. This then improves their profile, helps create a stronger brand identity, and ultimately gives them a more representative image. This is what SE needs to try and get back, and what they'll ultimately attempt to do. Whether they'll be successful or not remains to be seen. Though, I do certainly feel that the ball is in place for them to deliver some pretty big games over the next 4 years. If they can still mess it up, there is no hope. I don't think they will though.

2-3 years of proper development time isn't small. It's a lot. The key is in the preparation. If you don't have everything prepared (like FFXIII) then even 1-2 years can seem like it wasn't enough time. But, if you have things ready, a proper vision, and a development goal outlined clearly so various people know what needs to be done, then in 2-3 years, you can create some huge games. As it stands, with how HD development is, you can't just take your time and experiment and waste time and hope things will still work out (coughUedacough), unless your company is giving you that time because they don't necessarily need you as their big moneymaker right now (coughUedacough). It's about efficiency and knowing what you need to do. That's also part of a being game designer, understanding your limits and setting a realistic goal. If you have a big project that needs to be out in 3 years, you can't spend a year thinking about things and not even nailing the fundamental aspects of the game design so people don't know they need to do. At the same time, the tools need to be there too and working properly.

SE have had small teams preparing the next projects in line beyond the ones which are already going on, so there can be a smoother transition. Consideration needs to be given to what, hypothetically speaking, the FF15 and FF16 teams are going to do in a couple of years when they need another project. Every development studio keeps in mind what needs to come next, that's just how it is. However, things were so bad in the early generation for SE, they could't even properly accomplish that. That's how messed up it was. SE has a huge amount of manpower. They've just used it really poorly. It's not like they don't have talented people. They do, I can't really deny that, but they're just led by some dumbasses at times. They spent way too much time preparing a shitty engine this last generation, and the knock on effect of that failure, and their poor management basically made them ruin this generation for themselves.

Thankfully, they sorted their own mess out for the most part and were given a little help getting to grips with next gen, so they're much better prepared to go full steam ahead with development in the coming years. Both 2013 and 2014 will be good times for SE fans. There is a lot to be shown over the next year and a half.

Paracelsus

Nobody has explained me why Sony thought it was a good idea to release GT6 on PS3 and eventually PS4 but not FFXVersus. I know they realized they messed up when they didn't force Square to release FFXII to PS3 too but seriously, unless they are absolutely certain to have a 5+ mln userbase by the time the game is out it's a very risky move.

So is Versus a PS4 game or is it cross-gen?

It was supposed to be cross but apparently as of very recently they scrapped the PS3 version and moved on.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Nobody has explained me why Sony thought it was a good idea to release GT6 on PS3 and eventually PS4 but not FFXVersus. I know they realized they messed up when they didn't force Square to release FFXII to PS3 too but seriously, unless they are absolutely certain to have a 5+ mln userbase by the time the game is out it's a very risky move.

GT is a much bigger seller than FF, for one. It relies heavily on the casual audience which in turn relies on a much bigger install base. Also consider PD didn't reboot that game several times like SE did with this title. GT6 will have a PS4 release eventually though - even Yamauchi has hinted as such.

Verendus

Banned
FNC mythos was poorly clarified to the bulk of the fanbase.
Yes, it was. And it was stupid to even do. What kind of developer, when they don't even have their tools ready, goes out and tells people their long-term plans? Every developer has long-term plans. They're working on something now, and there's a couple of other projects getting prepared. Some may make it, others may get re-evaluated, others may get cancelled. However, it's important when you decide to reveal your plans because at that stage, you need to be confident about delivering. It's one of the most painfully stupid things I've seen from a game developer.

The naming convention from the beginning was moronic too. You have absolutely no idea how fans will receive a certain game. You have no idea whether it'd be even worthwhile to delve into the universe further. You tied both games together. Why? When you have the unique benefit of a huge franchise where gamers understand it's a different game every time. But in this instance, you decide to link them in such a way that if one does not do well, it'll effect the other one regardless of it being different. When you don't even need to do such a thing, why would you do it? When you don't even know what exactly you're trying to do, why do you say these things publicly?

Why is it that I called them a joke? Because of dumbass shit like this. They deserve to be called a joke.

Paracelsus

GT is a much bigger seller than FF, for one. It relies heavily on the casual audience which in turn relies on a much bigger install base. Also consider PD didn't reboot that game several times like SE did with this title. GT6 will have a PS4 release eventually though - even Yamauchi has hinted as such.

I see. Another tinfoil hat I made for myself is about the fact they probably want to give the illusion they moved on from the mess they made with the FFXIII trilogy. New gen, new title, lalala~ I can't hear you.

Fraxin

Verendus, although Square does have some talented developers, yet other well known ones left the company e.g Matsuno and Takahashi. Do you think Square, with the talent they have now, can still offer solid titles?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I see. Another tinfoil hat I made for myself is about the fact they probably want to give the illusion they moved on from the mess they made with the FFXIII trilogy. New gen, new title, lalala~ I can't hear you.

They never announced Versus XIII for the west.
Most people outside of hardcore message boards don't even know what it is.
The audience at large will be more interested in seeing a '15' instead of more XIII - a game that divided the fanbase more than ever.

Top Bottom