• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Prime no longer offered to Amiibo and limiteds?

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I saw some people in the Amiibo thread say that they didn't have their Prime discount apply, and I found put why today....

I called about my Tekken collector not receiving a discount, and the rep talked to a supervisor who would not allow it, only giving me a courtesy credit. This was in the email:

6.Offer does not apply to certain video game products such as toys to life, collector’s editions, and product bundles including but not limited to console game bundles and accessory bundles.

So I guess this is new? Explains Amiibo, yet on the same day of my Tekken order, I ordered the Tokyo Xanadu collectors and received a Prime discount on it. Are they just picking and chosing? Some of my orders get discounted right away, others don't until closer to shipping (and reps now refuse to make the difference up until it ships.... which is why I only called about Tekken now).

Well, another reason not to get limiteds on Amazon now! (I'm guessing Best Buy hasn't implemented this restraint?)

Edit: Here's the full list of terms from the email (and modify they have!)

Terms & Conditions
1. Offer only applies to products sold and shipped by Amazon.com.
2. Customer must have an active Prime subscription at the time of placing an order and the time of shipment to receive offer.
3. The discount applies to an item’s List Price and does not apply to an item’s already discounted price. This discount cannot be combined with any other discounts or promotions.
4. Offer only applies to products in pre-order as listed on the product detail page.
5. Offer does not apply to digital content.
6.Offer does not apply to certain video game products such as toys to life, collector’s editions, and product bundles including but not limited to console game bundles and accessory bundles.
7. Offer good while supplies last.
8. Offer is non-transferable and may not be resold.
9. If any of the products or content related to this offer are returned, your refund will equal the amount you paid for the product or content, subject to applicable refund policies.
10. If you violate any of these terms, the offer will be invalid.
11. Shipping charges and taxes may apply to discounted items.
12. Offer restricted to a quantity of 1 per qualifying item.
13. Amazon reserves the right to modify or cancel the offer at any time.

Jawmuncher

Yeah they're sabotaging their own benefits at This point. If all you want is gmes GCU really is the better benefit.

Qwark

That's a bummer, I was considering dropping GCU because I already have Prime, guess I'll keep it around now.

I had no idea that Amazon cracked down on that stuff! I've just been using Best Buy's GCU but this further cements that decision for me. I see fewer reasons to continue paying for Prime every day...

Megatron

Theyre just trying to help you not waste your money on amiibos and over priced 'collectors editions'. Good guy Amazon.

Hardvlade

That sucks, in the end. Personally GCU is a much better value since it works on sales, not restrained after 2 weeks and some games get you a $10 rewards certificates (+ 2x points)

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I'll also note that they don't do Prime discounts on an item if it goes on sale... Pretty sure it did before? Sonic Mania went down to $62 instead of $69.99 but I'm only being discounted on the full price.

Amazon, no more limiteds for good this time (unless exclusive...)

wiibomb

I really wish I could buy from BB, Amazon seems to continue to screw over their service

I'll also note that they don't do Prime discounts on an item if it goes on sale... Pretty sure it did before? Sonic Mania went down to $62 instead of $69.99 but I'm only being discounted on the full price.

Amazon, no more limiteds for good this time (unless exclusive...)

no, that has been always like that, the discount only applies to full price and doesn't stack

OmegaFax

I saw some people in the Amiibo thread say that they didn't have their Prime discount apply, and I found put why today....

I called about my Tekken collector not receiving a discount, and the rep talked to a supervisor who would not allow it, only giving me a courtesy credit. This was in the email:

So I guess this is new? Explains Amiibo, yet on the same day of my Tekken order, I ordered the Tokyo Xanadu collectors and received a refund on it. Are they just picking and chosing? Some of my orders get discounted right away, others don't until closer to shipping (and reps now refuse to make the difference up until it ships.... which is why I only called about Tekken now).

Well, another reason not to get limiteds on Amazon now! (I'm guessing Best Buy hasm't implemented this restraint?)

I never liked the way Amazon handled their 20% discount for new and recently released games. The entire concept seems to have diminishing returns if they lower the regular price of the game before or just prior to launch. They only apply the 20% to the MSRP and not the price they're selling it for. In some cases, I've seen the regular price of a game and the 20% discount from being a Prime member to very small. You're really at no advantage over the Non-Prime customer.

Example: Whereas if Best Buy put a ne game on sale from like $60 -> $50 ... you're going to get 20% off the sale price of $50 ... Amazon would only take 20% off $60 ... so you'd get it for $48 and non-Prime members get it for $60.

It's a case where Amazon is a bit greedier with their incentive program than Best Buy is. Best Buy did cut the amount of RewardZone points you earn on a given purchase last year I think. It's a small sacrifice if they keep the discount consistent and not limited to pre-orders or two weeks after release.

DOWN

Banned
Probably trying to squeeze those good margins back into place because they know people who buy the plastic just will pay the regular price

Theyre just trying to help you not waste your money on amiibos and over priced 'collectors editions'. Good guy Amazon.
Or This tbh

They know almost none of that Chinese junk gets put on display.

Y'all have admitted before that most of GAF has their collector's editions stored away or sold

jacobeid

Banned
The 20% off only lasts two weeks, doesn't work on Amiibos, and no rewards points. Amazing really needs to step up their game in relation to BB.

Well, I'm going to have to live that GCU life then.

Do I still need to go in store to activate it these days?

Nope, you can do it online now.

RedBoot

Yeah, I noticed the Fire Emblem Echoes Amiibos did not have the discount on them.

no, that has been always like that, the discount only applies to full price and doesn't stack

Yup. Basically, if the Prime discount is lower, you get that, if the game happens to go on sale lower than Prime (as with FF12 PS4 right now), you get the sale price.

Just checked on Amazon Canada, tekken collectors is given a discount there. I assume it will only be a matter of time before that's removed too...(although I don't remember amiibos ever being discounted.) GAF, what collectors editions are worth preordering while I can?

Not surprising, they can't confirm limited edition same day shipping worth of shit. Had to cancel my p5 collectors edition the day of.

They're great for everything else, not this. I stick with Gamestop for this

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Just checked on Amazon Canada, tekken collectors is given a discount there. I assume it will only be a matter of time before that's removed too...(although I don't remember amiibos ever being discounted.) GAF, what collectors editions are worth preordering while I can?

Which are you looking at? I buy all the Japanese ones :x

Linkark07

Banned
Tried to preorder some CE of other games (can't do that with Tekken 7) and the Prime discount applied.

Sadly, can't try that with Amiibos. Can't find one of them available for preorder.

Edit: tried with Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash Limited Edition and no discount applied on that game.

GRIMREEFZ

They offer the discount on some collectors editions. I got Person 5 steal your heart for 20% off. I think its up to the publisher, but Im speculating. I have ordered MANY amiibo from amazon and don't remember ever receiving a prime discount though.

Ridley327

Disappointing, especially with the upcoming Amiibo waves on July 21, but at least Prime shipping won't jack up the price.

I'm looking at you, Gamestop!

Which are you looking at? I buy all the Japanese ones :x

What can you think of? If we manage to get a list going of as many CEs as we can think of, I'm sure it will benefit more people looking before the discount is removed from those.

All I can think of right now is:

-Tekken 7 (DISCOUNT AVAILABLE ON AMAZON CANADA)

Linkark07

Banned
After doing some browsing, I have only found one Limited Edition without discount. All others offer me the Prime discount for preorder.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
What can you think of? If we manage to get a list going of as many CEs as we can think of, I'm sure it will benefit more people looking before the discount is removed from those.

All I can think of right now is:

-Tekken 7 (DISCOUNT AVAILABLE ON AMAZON CANADA)

Most are either sold out or store exclusive to NISA etc.

What I found was:

-Tokyo Xanadu
-Tokyo Xanadu eX+
-Culdcept Revolt
-Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash

Eh, I live literally right behind my local Best Buy now, and was hardly doing any of my games at Amazon anymore anyway. I've had GCU for almost 2 years now as well, and the reward points and no 2 week limit is what already pushed me to that over Prime.

Sorry to hear of this happening for folks that are very reliant on Prime for their games though.

RedBoot

Sadly, can't try that with Amiibos. Can't find one of them available for preorder.

Based on how the last few have gone, Amazon doesn't do preorders for Amiibos anymore. They just go up for sale at some point on the release date.

Kinda sucks since they do have some exclusive amiibo coming up. :/

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah they're sabotaging their own benefits at This point. If all you want is gmes GCU really is the better benefit.

It already was since it is 20% off all new games, not just the first two weeks.

I'd rather wait for games to go on sell for $40 in a month (like most AAA multiplats do) and buy for $32 plus tax than buy first two week for $48 plus tax.

We have prime for the shipping and I still buy all my games from Best Buy with GCU.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Never had GCU before but will open one up now and order most gaming stuff from Best Buy going forward.

Wtf is Amazon doing.

Too big to worry about competition I'm sure. (See: the "Amazon trading for $1000 a share" topic). Oh well, more business to the other guys!

Amazon's policy of only giving the discount 2 weeks from release and not working on sale items was already bullshit. This is even more bullshit. GCU was already way better and now it's better in every single way.

Top Bottom