• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Prime series for “The Boys,” from the mind of “Preacher” creator, Garth Ennis

Edit - December 6

Official Teaser for S2

The-Boys_Volume_One.jpg

Cast featuring the likes of Karl Urban and Simon Pegg, among others.

I had never heard of this (comic or series) until now, and I love Preacher.

From Wikipedia:

The series is set between 2006–2008[1] in a world where superheroes exist. However, most of the superheroes in the series' universe are corrupted by their celebrity status and often engage in reckless behavior, compromising the safety of the world. For this reason, a superpowered CIA squad, known informally as "The Boys", is charged with monitoring the superhero community; the name is Butcher's contribution, a reference from his neighborhood that those in power would send "the boys" to handle anyone causing trouble.

Ennis has said that the series would "out-PreacherPreacher",[2] presumably referring to the extreme violence and sexuality that were that series' hallmark, and that the series would end with its seventy-second issue.[3]

I really dig the premise. Exploring the corrupt side of Super Hero celebrity that you don’t see in most comics. The side of super heroes when they aren’t “super hero’ing”
Season One

Two trailers, potentially NSFW

Teaser

Full trailer

I’m very interested. Probably gonna buy the comics on my kindle now

Edit

New red band trailer, nsfw

Edit June 19th

The “Official Trailer” dropped yesterday

Only a month away!

So pumped for this.

Comes out July 26th

Final edit

FINAL trailer hit today, show debuts on Friday, can't wait

—————————————————

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
Amazon going hard with these exclusives. I am going to have to get an account. RIP WWE Network.

Last edited:
Awesome, never even heard of it and now I'm sold after the trailers.

No other release info other than 2019?

I searched and can’t find anything concrete.

I love Preacher, have every issue loaded on my kindle, but never heard of this before.

I love the idea “personal life dark side of superheroes.” This story seems really cool. If you think about it make sense for superheroes to reach celebrity status that leads to corruption/scandals just like normal famous/powerful people. Except, given the nature of their powers you would need a special team to these heroes in check. Especially with the corporate element that seems to be in play (seems like this Vought company owns the famous hero team?)

It sounds awesome. I just bought the series (72 issues split in 12 volumes) for 60 bucks.

If you have Amazon Prime you can read the first volume for free.

The cast for the show is pretty solid too

Last edited:

Horatius

the boys is great

tragedy that simon pegg is too old to play whatsisface

no adaptation will ever do herogasm justice

Sygma

I searched and can’t find anything concrete.

I love Preacher, have every issue loaded on my kindle, but never heard of this before.

I love the idea “personal life dark side of superheroes.” This story seems really cool. If you think about it make sense for superheroes to reach celebrity status that leads to corruption/scandals just like normal famous/powerful people. Except, given the nature of their powers you would need a special team to these heroes in check. Especially with the corporate element that seems to be in play (seems like this Vought company owns the famous hero team?)

It sounds awesome. I just bought the series (72 issues split in 12 volumes) for 60 bucks.

If you have Amazon Prime you can read the first volume for free.

The cast for the show is pretty solid too

oh its even more twisted than just that. Basically anyone can get powers and multiple "corporations" or whatever have their own super teams, but the problem is that more often than not, the average citizen is getting killed / abused in many different ways / scenarios

So when you can't have super heroes regulating themselves, you gotta find a way, in the form of The Boys which well, officiously don't really have limits to operate. And more often than not it gets ugly lol

Last edited:

I think that's missing the Herogasm mini and the Butcher prequel mini. I have the omnibus and it's pretty annoying that it doesn't have Herogasm cause it's referenced quite a bit later on. The Butcher mini sin't that important to the main story but well, it's more Butcher.

I think that's missing the Herogasm mini and the Butcher prequel mini. I have the omnibus and it's pretty annoying that it doesn't have Herogasm cause it's referenced quite a bit later on. The Butcher mini sin't that important to the main story but well, it's more Butcher.

Is physical copy my only way of reading these?

So now that I’m reading the comics, I’m trying to figure out the trailer.

Karl Urban is Butcher
The Female is clear
Is “fuck The Seven” guy Hughie?
Is “chewing guy” Frenchie?
M.M. is clear

Edit:

Frenchie is in the final shot, on the couch, of the first teaser. I don’t know who chewing guy is.

Last edited:
Is physical copy my only way of reading these?
My bad, I saw 72 issues and I just thought it had only those72 issues. Since you mentioned 12 volumes, you probably do have Herogasm and Butch, Baker, Candlestickmaker.

So now that I’m reading the comics, I’m trying to figure out the trailer.

Karl Urban is Butcher
The Female is clear
Is “fuck The Seven” guy Hughie?
Is “chewing guy” Frenchie?
M.M. is clear

Edit:

Frenchie is in the final shot, on the couch, of the first teaser. I don’t know who chewing guy is.
Yeah that's Hughie. The guy that's chewing is Prime's version of The Deep. I say Prime's version cause him, A-Train and Jack From Jupiter have obvious changes. Race swap for The Deep and A-Train and power switch from impervious skin to invisibility for Jack.

Last edited:
My bad, I saw 72 issues and I just thought it had only those72 issues. Since you mentioned 12 volumes, you probably do have Herogasm and Butch, Baker, Candlestickmaker.

Yeah that's Hughie. The guy that's chewing is Prime's version of The Deep. I say Prime's version cause him, A-Train and Jack From Jupiter have obvious changes. Race swap for The Deep and A-Train and power switch from impervious skin to invisibility for Jack.

I’m just reading the volumes in order. I’m hoping Herogasm is included and chronically correct. I guess I’ll find out?

Yeah I noticed A-train and Deep were changed.

Last edited:
I think it should be volume 5 or 6. You can just glance at the cover and that should be the volume's title.

After finishing the comics (wow, blown away, awesome stuff) im insanely curious to see how much they are able to bring to the show.

I’m also curious if this is meant as a one-run season of setup for multiple seasons. In the trailer it looks a scene from the bery beginning on the Herogasm volume is happening, so that’s at least about half the comic covered

God this is such a great read and I really hope they do it justice. For those exploring Garth Ennis's work you should also check out The Pro and Crossed assuming that most of you have read/watched Preacher.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
God this is such a great read and I really hope they do it justice. For those exploring Garth Ennis's work you should also check out The Pro and Crossed assuming that most of you have read/watched Preacher.

Check out his Hellblazer run (begins with Dangerous Habits), Punisher MAX, Punisher w/ Steve Dillon, War Stories, Battlefields, and Hitman (takes a few volumes to get good).

I’ve read Crossed, haven’t heard of The Pro. Will check it out.

The Boys is definitely a fantastic read, I agree, Preacher as well but I imagine it’s cheaper to own all volumes of The Boys. Can’t remember what I paid for the kindle versions but it wasn’t bad

So I guess there have been advanced screenings of the pilot episode. A couple channels popped on my notifications with reviews

These guys kind of ramble a bit and this is supposed to be non-spoiler but they imply a few spoilers so I don’t necessarily recommend watching to those who absolutely want to go in as fresh as possible

They are fans of the comic and loved the pilot. Sounds like it’s very faithful to source material

So I guess there have been advanced screenings of the pilot episode. A couple channels popped on my notifications with reviews

These guys kind of ramble a bit and this is supposed to be non-spoiler but they imply a few spoilers so I don’t necessarily recommend watching to those who absolutely want to go in as fresh as possible

They are fans of the comic and loved the pilot. Sounds like it’s very faithful to source material

That last sentence is what I needed to hear. For something like the Boys, you can't try to sanitize it; you gotta go balls deep and fuck the noise.

I'm hyped, as someone who has all the comics in his bookshelf.

I’m really curious to find out if this is a one and done season, like does it cover all the books in one season or will it get a longer run and/or branch off on its own as far as ending.

Barnabot

I’m really curious to find out if this is a one and done season, like does it cover all the books in one season or will it get a longer run and/or branch off on its own as far as ending.
It's better to have a one done season than watching that show slowly becoming a turd within the seasons . See Heroes as an example.

It's better to have a one done season than watching that show slowly becoming a turd within the seasons . See Heroes as an example.

I definitely agree. I am trying to avoid spoilers but The Boys (comics) definitely has an intro and a climax. I guess what I am pondering is will they cover all the comic volumes in this one season or will it be split up into 2-3 seasons. If they stick with the comics I could see two seasons worth of quality content with a great payoff. Maybe stretched to three, depending on amount of episodes per season. .

Amazon Prime finally being useful to me aside from next day delivery. Between this and Refn's show I'm good for the next month.
I'd forgive Amazon for anything just for saving The Expanse. Stuff like The Boys and Good Omens are just a bonus. Sucks that they cancelled The Tick though. Still they have Invincible coming up next year and I'm cautiously optimistic for that because the source material is the only cape comic I actually was there for at the start and kept following throughout its entire run. And it has J. K. Simmons as Omni-man, how can it fail?

The difference is The Boys is based on completed material. The show writers don't have to make things up as they go along or at least not as much. I highly doubt they can compress everything into one season but I guess the comic does have a lot of material that doesn't really advance the plot that much other than to show that capes and Vought are scum.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Does this show have any presence at Comic Con? We’re only a week away and I feel like there’s very little buzz?

It's already been renewed for a second season:

It's already been renewed for a second season:

Good to know they didn't cram everything into one.

EDIT: Seems they're going to genderflip Stormfront. Weird choice but eh, we'll see.

Last edited:

I haven’t watched this because Grace is somewhat notorious for dropping “comparison spoilers” or “implied spoilers” in her non-spoiler reviews, so I dunno if she liked it or not. She hated Brightburn with a passion and I imagine this is show is at least as equally graphic as Brightburn was (I didn’t find Brightburn to be that disturbing, personally).

I’ve read the comics but I still want to to in to show as blind as possible to any changes made to the story, if any.

Javthusiast

Banned

I haven’t watched this because Grace is somewhat notorious for dropping “comparison spoilers” or “implied spoilers” in her non-spoiler reviews, so I dunno if she liked it or not.

She is super hyped about the show, loved it and wants second season as soon as possible.

Also how the hell did I just now realized Homelander is Antony from Banshee. I freaking loved the show, but didn't recognize him here, lol.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
I just hope it gets mainstream popularity and doesn't get canceled after season 2.

Loved Eric Kripkes first couple Supernatural seasons, then he left I think. Kinda fell out of the show afterwards and with over 13 seasons it's now tough to get into. Glad this show is getting a lot of good buzz.

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
I have very high Hope's for this as I loved the comic book.

I'm glad to see it on amazon and the trailers look good. Maybe this will get the bad taste of preacher out of my mouth since I hated how seth rogen gutted and made it so hollow, and hated because it was on amc that it had to be cut down even though they managed to keep some of the content. I was very excited for it and it let me down a lot, but I also expected it. But with the boys on amazon that will allow a lot more freedom.

I'd like to see a series based off some of his other stuff like crossed, the pro, dicks and chronicles of wormwood. So I'm hoping this goes well and they tap more of his works.

Top Bottom