• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Prime series for “The Boys,” from the mind of “Preacher” creator, Garth Ennis

I have very high Hope's for this as I loved the comic book.

I'm glad to see it on amazon and the trailers look good. Maybe this will get the bad taste of preacher out of my mouth since I hated how seth rogen gutted and made it so hollow, and hated because it was on amc that it had to be cut down even though they managed to keep some of the content. I was very excited for it and it let me down a lot, but I also expected it. But with the boys on amazon that will allow a lot more freedom.

I'd like to see a series based off some of his other stuff like crossed, the pro, dicks and chronicles of wormwood. So I'm hoping this goes well and they tap more of his works.

I’m looking forward to everyone’s impressions once the series hits. I’ll probablu binge it over the weekend. The comics are special to me, just great material that I only discovered once this show was announced.

Last edited:
FINAL trailer hit today, show debuts on Friday, can't wait

Seems like they changed a lot of stuff. Maybe for the better, we'll see. Season 1 better have Vas.
A thought occurs though, didn't the show runner says something about looking more at Avengers instead of Justice League since they're the big thing now? Maybe they'll massively change the story and wrap up The Seven in season 1 and shift the focus to Payback for season 2. Would fit into Vought being a combined military-industrial complex and Hollywood rolled into one that the comic has going anyway.

crumbs

Did this go up early? I'm watching it now & all the episodes show as available , but I thought it was releasing tomorrow?

crumbs

It must have. It’s up in my app as well. Welp, I know what I’m doing tonight

Edit

Thanks for the heads up

No problem. I was surprised to see it available.

First episode was pretty solid. Karl Urban is always fun to watch. I'm not too familiar with the comics, but I'm appreciating the dark tone so far.

Somewhat related: why does Amazon make it so hard to find the 4K versions of their shows when using their TV apps?

TrainedRage

Banned
pretty much got prime for this. cant wait. Anyone know what time tonight they will upload the episodes? Like 2 or 3 AM?

I fell asleep too early last night, so I just finished episode one now.

In threads like this I’m not sure what the etiquette is for separating book spoilers from show spoilers, so I’ll just give a very brief non-spoiler impression.

First episode didn’t blow me away. I find myself constantly looking for details that seem to be either changed from the book or omitted completely. I say “seem to” because maybe as the show goes on those details will come to light. A number of changes were already spotted in the trailers and detailed in earlier posts here. I’m gonna try to not focus on this stuff too much moving forward as it’s gonna ruin my viewing experience.

The Boys is a very dirty/grimy/dark/sleazy/twisted/layered/sophisticated story in the books. It was gonna be hard to emulate everything from The Book on the show. The first episode tries decently but falls a little short, imo. Two changes/omissions in particular I truly don’t understand but again, maybe they are saved for later.

Again, it’s just one episode. I’m probably way overthinking things. Gonna dive in now and binge the rest today/tomorrow.

thequestion

Just watched 1st episode and it’s alright. Really dark/disturbing in places. One of those shows where you cheer for a lesser villain, I suppose. The Seven and the other heroes are supposed to be the modern celebrity - just add sjw in front of celebrity or democratic leaning celebrity, and this show could become damn therapeutic for people who lean right polically.

I will say, it would of been better if the Seven were based on the avengers instead of justice league. It gives a “punching down” feel, to it, and slightly out of touch. Could you imagine if there was a captain marvel/Brie Larson character instead of wonderwoman.... damn, son.....

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Christ, am I watching a Lifetime special?

-The power dynamics all involve the male characters being subservient to strong competent women, usually embarrassingly for the men.

-There’s an abundance of male nudity but they go out of their way to avoid female nudity.

-Made up “rape culture” statistics cited randomly.

-Superhero sex club predominantly shows gay action and a little guy jumping into a vagina to pleasure a woman.

-Most sex scenes involve women in dom roles, men tied up.

-Female executive breast pumping at work and keeping a baby around

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So this sucks?

It's okay. Aside from feeling like my balls are being crushed by the anti-manspreading chair a little too often -- par for the course in 2019, alas -- the plot is very slow to advance and it's not near as dark as you'd hope for The Boys. It's watchable though.

Ornlu

Banned
It's okay. Aside from feeling like my balls are being crushed by the anti-manspreading chair a little too often -- par for the course in 2019, alas -- the plot is very slow to advance and it's not near as dark as you'd hope for The Boys. It's watchable though.

Ah bummer. Hopefully it's not drenched through every episode. I was looking forward to giving this show a shot.

Just finished it. Hard to react without spoiling anything. I’ll split this up:

Non-Spoiler Overview:

I was a little underwhelmed. Thought the season, overall, was average. At times downright boring. A couple great moments/shots. Most of the comedy attempts/one liners fell flat for me, except one episode I did genuinely laugh out loud.

The finale is great and makes up for much of this, though.

Which leads me to spoilers:

FINALE SPOILER TALK

That twist tho.

That was good. Great misdirect making you think they were going with the comic root (she got raped and died from the super baby) to her being alive and Homelander the father to a living child. That’s a pretty solid cliffhanger, or whatever.

Comic book comparison talk coming next, so possible future plot spoilers:

Outside of the finale it felt like they lacked budget to do a bunch of things they probably wanted to. I’m assuming budget is why The Boys aren’t all already V enhanced. A lot of the cooler beats and fight/action sequences can be justifiably omitted that way. I’m assuming they are hoping this does well and gets greenlit with a bigger budget and they saved a lot of action for S2.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
They should have called it The Girls. The Boys barely do anything, only The Female has enhanced abilities so the rest of them can’t fight against the Supes, and Starlight and Elisabeth Shue are bigger focuses.

I thought I could watch this without comparing it to the source too much but I just can't. Granted the comics isn't some shining beacon of literature but it feels like they just outright butchered some characters. And EviLore hit it right in the head, the show is not even trying to be subtle with its emasculating imagery. When I first saw the content warning, it gave me hope that the show would not shy away from the darker material from the source instead it's just a vehicle to show men bad, women strong. Yes, the Female is supposed to be badass but she's supposed to be badass even when compared to a team full of badasses and not badass cause the others can't do shit.

At least Karl Urban is entertaining. It's not the Butcher I want and I dare say they butchered Butcher but at least his performance carries the show.

This series would be pretty much be the definition or hard centre

It treads on some lefty and right shit but does not really pick a side to satire or skew towards

I like this series....a very cleverness to the writing

Ornlu

Banned
I watched 2 episodes; so far I'm digging it for the most part. The tone seems a little off, in the world they seem to be trying to describe.

They should have called it The Girls. The Boys barely do anything, only The Female has enhanced abilities so the rest of them can’t fight against the Supes, and Starlight and Elisabeth Shue are bigger focuses.
I had a feeling Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg would fuck it up somehow.

Weiji

Banned
I have no knowledge of the source material, but going in blind it’s really not what I expected given the comic vibe of the trailers. I’m mostly pleasantly suprised.

Is it not sufficiently dark relative to the comics?

Cuz, uh the (episode 4 spoiler):

Airplane sequence where they leave everyone to die because saving just a few would mean admitting they failed... all the while promising them everything will be alright.

Was incredibly dark.

As to the “year 2019” crap? There’s a lot of anti-religion stuff that’s pretty retread from a million other series.

The use of words like “safespace”, “my truth” and other bullshit is present and it’s as gross as it sounds when it’s used.

Most of the sups have problems and personal issues which I feel make them well developed bad guys. Probably the shows biggest draw.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
3 episodes in so far. Don't understand why they made it so they don't know what compound v is and that the boys don't use it to go against supes like in the comic. Kinda slow at points, team still not fully together.

crumbs

Non-comic reader here.

After enjoying the 1st episode, the 2nd was a letdown. The pacing was way off, it felt like they had 30 minutes of material stretched to an hour. You knew how this episode was going to end and it felt like forever to get there.

I'm also not feeling the casting on Homelander, it feels like he should be more intimidating since he's their Superman analogue, but comes off as a Hallmark Original JAG in an obviously padded suit. They don't need to have an giant meathead in the role, but some physicality would help.

Elisabeth Shue has been pretty one note so far, but I wasn't expecting that much her as an actress.

For positives, I'm enjoying the performances from Karl Urban, Huey, and Starlight.

finowns

I really enjoyed it. Homelander and how Anthony Starr portrayed him was amazing. Very fun deconstruction of the super hero trope.

finowns

Non-comic reader here.

After enjoying the 1st episode, the 2nd was a letdown. The pacing was way off, it felt like they had 30 minutes of material stretched to an hour. You knew how this episode was going to end and it felt like forever to get there.

I'm also not feeling the casting on Homelander, it feels like he should be more intimidating since he's their Superman analogue, but comes off as a Hallmark Original JAG in an obviously padded suit. They don't need to have an giant meathead in the role, but some physicality would help.

Elisabeth Shue has been pretty one note so far, but I wasn't expecting that much her as an actress.

For positives, I'm enjoying the performances from Karl Urban, Huey, and Starlight.

I disagree there was an underlying menace and psychopathy in all his interactions, I loved it. I was rooting for Homelander, it’s Homelander’s world everyone else just lives there.

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
Watched the first episode last night and while some of the acting is a bit stiff it is spot on with the comic. I was very happy with it and looking forward to watching more tonight.

Weiji

Banned
I disagree there was an underlying menace and psychopathy in all his interactions, I loved it. I was rooting for Homelander, it’s Homelander’s world everyone else just lives there.

I think if you’ve only seen like one or two episodes homelander comes across as cheesy and non-threatening.

That’s 100% intentional.

He becomes more threatening as the story progresses. He’s actually one of the best parts of the show IMO.

D-Dude

Really enjoying this show. I like the characters, the humor, the swearing. And happy there will be season 2

mejin

Finished yesterday.

I know the comics are too violent, but they changed a lot of the story. Girl power my ass

Kind disappointed, but I liked for what it is.

scalman

Ohh wow i loved it still have couple eps left but its so raw and great to watch , similar to punisher in some ways.
Didnt know nothing about comics or who is who , still enjoyed .

Last edited:

Denton

I loved this. I just love stuff that flips superhero nonsense on its head, like Nolan's trilogy, Kick Ass or now The Boys.

Lucas Hood is so fucking good in this.

And Butcher if a funny cunt.

"...said bishop to the nun."

"..and you can go back to your Ice Capades"

Last edited:

Vade

I am interesting in seeing where this goes; I feel the show goes from 5-7 ping-ponging around there.
Does the series going in a different direction than the books mean that the black armored ninja guy is not going to be a evil homelander clone?

Drake

Christ, am I watching a Lifetime special?

-The power dynamics all involve the male characters being subservient to strong competent women, usually embarrassingly for the men.

-There’s an abundance of male nudity but they go out of their way to avoid female nudity.

-Made up “rape culture” statistics cited randomly.

-Superhero sex club predominantly shows gay action and a little guy jumping into a vagina to pleasure a woman.

-Most sex scenes involve women in dom roles, men tied up.

-Female executive breast pumping at work and keeping a baby around

Was excited for this show until I read this. Now I probably won't bother. Can't wait to see how Amazon butchers LOTR. Gay, trans, black elves anyone?

Was excited for this show until I read this. Now I probably won't bother. Can't wait to see how Amazon butchers LOTR. Gay, trans, black elves anyone?
I wouldn't judge it by that, quite frankly, they treated the SJW shit like satire outside of a few examples. There were people floating in the club, fucking in the air which had as much viewing time as the gay dude. But regardless of all that, it doesn't ruin the show as a whole.

finowns

Like the other poster said they were satirizing a lot of the SJW stuff. It's not bad at all in that regard.

Top Bottom