• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Prime series for “The Boys,” from the mind of “Preacher” creator, Garth Ennis

Hari Seldon

Starting watching it, I hate super hero shit but really like the premise of this. Can't comment on the quality of it yet, other than Elizabeth Shue has fucking Keanu blood or the best plastic surgeon ever cause somehow she is still hot as fuck after the bajillion years she has been an actress.

scalman

So whats there about homelander and milk..??
And baby shooting lasers was best thing ever.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
Finally finished season 1. It was definitely good, but not amazing. Curious where season 2 goes.

But after days of reading how shocking that ending was, and omg that twist is so crazy etc. I was shocked at how it actually wasn‘t, considering I predicted it the moment the wife story came into play.

But it is still interesting how they will handle it.

Also,
sucks for the boy, who probably could have been a real superman like in this universe, being raised up by a loving mom and not in some lab like Homelander. Now Homelander will probably try and corrupt him.

Btw was there any significance to those couple scenes where a fly was buzzing around? They put way to much emphasis on it in my opinion with the sound being clearly audible for it.

Last edited:
Haven't seen the show yet, what's the general consensus? Is it bad, okay, pretty good, epic?

A big fan of the original comics, so I'm kinda anxious.

Denton

Haven't seen the show yet, what's the general consensus? Is it bad, okay, pretty good, epic?

It has 9.1 on IMDB and gets 10/10 from me so I would say it is pretty good

But I never read the comics so I have no hangups about it

I do agree that it is a tiny bit more on the "girl power" side than needed - the show really needs female equivalent of Homelander, someone who is truly fucked up. Even Maeve is "kinda decent".

It's decent if you can view it as something separate. People that I've recommended it to enjoyed if far more than me and I was the one hyped for it. I really didn't like the ending cause it massively deviated from a huge plot point and quite possibly ruined Butcher for anyone that liked him in the comics but everyone else seems to be hailing it as a brilliant twist so YMMV.

Last edited:

Tako Ou

Banned
For those who would be interested in the source material, there is currently a humble bundle including the whole The Boyz comics and more from the same author (digital format ofc), the bundle is available for the next 34 hours.

Btw was there any significance to those couple scenes where a fly was buzzing around? They put way to much emphasis on it in my opinion with the sound being clearly audible for it.

Ah, I am not the only one who was bothered by those scenes.

Last edited:
It has 9.1 on IMDB and gets 10/10 from me so I would say it is pretty good

But I never read the comics so I have no hangups about it

I do agree that it is a tiny bit more on the "girl power" side than needed - the show really needs female equivalent of Homelander, someone who is truly fucked up. Even Maeve is "kinda decent".

The comics had that in Jessica Bradley, although obviously Stillwell is the most fucked up dude on the Vought side. Also, the comics really had Homelander embracing his....."Superman-ness", if you will; even in the actual comics, I think we'd all agree that if Supes were to just say "fuck it" and go on a rampage, there really isn't anybody that could stop him, not WW, not Bats, not Plastic Man.

Texas Pride

Banned
I agree that for a show called "the boys" there's a heavy female emphasis going on in the show. Seems to be the running theme with this and Another Life and other shows lately. Not an issue per se but an observation. Haven't read the comics to know if the show deviates from the source material so I don't know the difference as I'm sure most wouldn't.

I’m looking forward to everyone’s impressions once the series hits. I’ll probablu binge it over the weekend. The comics are special to me, just great material that I only discovered once this show was announced.

First 4 eps in and its pretty good, I cant compare it the comics as I haven't read em. If you enjoy this I deffo recommend Doom Patrol. I binged 1st season and it's awesome.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The comic went to the shit so don't expect it getting better if they are being accurate to the source.

Tako Ou

Banned
Well there was nothing to see in those flies in the end.

Eric Kripke said:
Ha, tons of people are asking about the fly! First, NOT CG, those are real flies. Here's the lowdown: in several takes over a couple episodes, flies would buzz into the shots, because it's summer in Toronto. Whenever I saw it, I wanted to use it in dailies, because that's something that happens ALL THE FUCKING TIME in reality, but you never see it in TV or movies. Just felt a little messy and real to me. The more I thought about it, the more it also came to represent the corruption of the world all these characters are struggling through. But was just a happy accident. I've read some theories that it's a hero -- ha ha, maybe one day!

Source

Also from that AMA:
There was ONE SCENE that Amazon said FUCK NO, you have to cut. I couldn't quite understand why considering everything else we have in the show, but: Homelander, after being dressed down by Stilwell in episode 2, was standing on one of the Chrysler building Eagles. He pulled his pants down and started jerking off, mumbling "I can do whatever I want" over and over again until he climaxed all over New York City. We shot it! Oh my God, Anthony was the BEST in that scene. Amazon seemed to think it wasn't necessary. I thought it told me something about his psyche. To be clear, they've been great, that may have been the ONLY fight I lost in Season 1.
:messenger_tears_of_joy:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I think if you’ve only seen like one or two episodes homelander comes across as cheesy and non-threatening.

That’s 100% intentional.

He becomes more threatening as the story progresses. He’s actually one of the best parts of the show IMO.
No kidding. It gets to the point where he is straight up menacing in EVERY scene, how is this guy America's sweetheart?

I'm about 6 eps in and my only major critique is that the initial world building is a bit weak. Exactly who the supes are, how long they have been around, and why Vought seems to "own" them all could have used a bit more set up. They trickle out some backstory later on but I would have liked a 5 min "set the stage" bit of exposition.

NahaNago

Okay I need a season 2 now. It was getting kinda meh near the middle but that last episode was wow. They start with graphic stuff at the beginning and end with shocking stuff at the end. I really do hope they make a complete story.

GV82

Watched it all in one day that’s unusual for me it was

“Fahking great”

Bring on season 2

Slightly OT The trouble with that is he will be busy with this and we really need him for the Dredd TV series, it was originally due out this year but it hasn’t started casting or production yet, just concept art, a pilot and a skeletal outline story arc for the whole 1st season.

It will be a mistake if they recast urban, just like the many mistakes they made with the marketing of the previous film.

Glip_Glop

Big fan of Toni, but I couldn’t figure out why is face seemed “different” than from his years on Banshee. Yes, he’s clean shaven, but I realized it was because he’s actually smiling in most episodes 😂

JCK75

I'm only about halfway through but I love the hell out of it, and it makes it very clear to me that Karl Urban is the ONLY right choice to take over as Wolverine.

Weiji

Banned
No kidding. It gets to the point where he is straight up menacing in EVERY scene, how is this guy America's sweetheart?

I'm about 6 eps in and my only major critique is that the initial world building is a bit weak. Exactly who the supes are, how long they have been around, and why Vought seems to "own" them all could have used a bit more set up. They trickle out some backstory later on but I would have liked a 5 min "set the stage" bit of exposition.

I agree about the world building could have been better.

Obviously they were trying to keep homelander ambiguous in the beginning, but it’s hard to do that when you’re so clearly playing the evil corporation card at every turn.

I do think that the handling of corrupted heroes and bad companies could have been a bit more ambiguous.

They slid into mustache twirling very fast, which makes the story fun to watch, but less impactful as a piece of art or a warning against human nature.

Kadayi

Banned
Went in blind as I hadn't read the comics expecting the worst given some of the feedback here, but tbh I didn't find it OTT with the SJW stuff. Enjoyed it for the most part., Though the abject lack of the Supes doing much rescuing did become notable after a while, best scene for me was Homelander and Queen Maeve and their rescue mission going tits up and Homelander being all 'Fuck it' about it.

Up for more. Also knew I'd seen Homelander before somewhere, but hadn't realised it was the dude from Banshee. With the Blonde hair, he looks a lot like a buffed up version of an IT guy I used to know, which makes it very hard to take him seriously given that dude was an absolute goof. Still dat ending... nasty. :messenger_grimmacing_

Last edited:

Sir Pwnsalot

Neo Member
Man that was incredible. Started it with dinner and watched 6 episodes straight through to sunrise! Man this was amazing, I haven't seen a TV this tight in editing and character development in a long while. Finished the last 2 episodes with lunch the next day.

I'm glad I never read anything about it online or might've predicted the end.

Btw...
is her baby dead?
I mean he was in the room with them.

llien

Not reading the comments, in fear of spoilers.
Watched 1 episode so far, liked it and so did my spouse.

And, oh boy, HOW BLOODY TERRIBLE PRIME VIDEO IS (at least on LG TV and Amazon Stick), what a wild contrast to Netflix.

Link1110

No idea that this is, all I know it's I saw an ad on Reddit where the creator did an AMA and held up a piece of paper to his face, covering his mouth and in that picture he could pass for Putin's younger brother.

Took me a while to figure out Homelander is the Banshee guy :messenger_hushed:
Karl Urban is so... impish, it's fucking hilarious!
Looking forward to a new season and more of Aquaman's Family Guy adventures.

trite

Neo Member
Other than a specific episode where they go way out of their way to demonize Christians, I have found the show super enjoyable. I hate superheroes and find them pretty damn lame, but this is fun.

Weiji

Banned
Other than a specific episode where they go way out of their way to demonize Christians, I have found the show super enjoyable. I hate superheroes and find them pretty damn lame, but this is fun.

Seriously. I’m not religious and even I think this anti Christian shtick is getting obnoxious. It hasn’t been a clever or interesting trope since at least the 90s.

Makariel

Watched season 1 over the past week. I'm loving it! Season 2 bring it on!

Karl Urban has now played all sorts of roles from Eomer and McCoy to Judge Dredd and Billy Butcher, he deserves a medal for his efforts. And let's not forget that he played two different roles in Xena, the warrior pricess.

tumblr_mp14q5FXv11s9qqfgo3_250.gif

The cast is great and the heroes are adequately creepy, especially Homelander is absolutely fantastic. I didn't know that was a comic book series, but they definitely made a great amazon series out of it.
Hah those poor Christians, when does the largest and most powerful religion on this planet finally get a break? :D

According to Wikipedia the comic started in 2006, incidentally that's when Ted Haggard was all over the news for his drug and sex scandal. It's quite clear where at least some of the inspiration for that episode is coming from.

Last edited:

trite

Neo Member
Hah those poor Christians, when does the largest and most powerful religion on this planet finally get a break? :D
Admit it. The only reason the media is so willing to criticize Christianity is because they won’t kill you for talking poorly of them. Remember Charlie Hebdo?

Makariel

Admit it. The only reason the media is so willing to criticize Christianity is because they won’t kill you for talking poorly of them. Remember Charlie Hebdo?
Yes, I also remember Anders Breivik, the Christchurch mosque shootings and many other acts of terrorism. So? Does making a list of atrocities help anyone? Does it change the point that Christianity is the most powerful religion at present? Don't let facts hurt your feelings, or are we not allowed to criticize the powerful because less powerful can also be assholes?

jason10mm

Gold Member

According to Wikipedia the comic started in 2006, incidentally that's when Ted Haggard was all over the news for his drug and sex scandal. It's quite clear where at least some of the inspiration for that episode is coming from.

It's not that Christianity (or straight white guys or whatever) can't take a few punches, its when its ALL punches that I start rolling eyes. It would be like if the only gay character was a foppish dandy who did nothing but simp for the male lead and it pandered to every bad stereotype. That was the old days, we demand more nuance now. So if they are gonna smear Christians, there ought to be some balance to the portrayl, just like you'd expect out of a muslim, jewish, LGBTQ, or whatever storyline.

Lazy storywriting leads to emasculating your male characters just to build up your female ones, and it leads to mocking an entire religion just to have a little character development.

CJY

Banned
Just binged it, it was great. Knew nothing about it, didn't know who was in it, what it was about (except somehow related to superheroes) and LOVED it.

The first episode was amazing, was surprised to see it directed by Dan Trachtenberg. "No wonder it was soooo tight" I thought to myself. I could tell the following episodes were directed by someone else straight away and weren't quite as good as the first episode from a cinematography sense, but the whole thing was still just a blast to watch.

Best show I've seen in a while. Fair play to Amazon Studios.

Tesseract

Banned
this show is aces, surprised the hell outta me

if this is the kinda output we can expect out of amazon, netflix is in trouble

jason10mm

Gold Member
this show is aces, surprised the hell outta me

if this is the kinda output we can expect out of amazon, netflix is in trouble

I agree. Outside of Stranger things, dark, and altered carbon there arent many netflix originals I care about. Especially if they are gonna scale back the adult stuff. "Another Life" is a good example. Perfect show for lots of t&a given the bizarre casting of all the young characters but it is a pg show with lots of swearing to make it MA. Boring! At least dark hits you with some boobs every now and then.

trite

Neo Member
Yes, I also remember Anders Breivik, the Christchurch mosque shootings and many other acts of terrorism. So? Does making a list of atrocities help anyone? Does it change the point that Christianity is the most powerful religion at present? Don't let facts hurt your feelings, or are we not allowed to criticize the powerful because less powerful can also be assholes?
I think you missed something. Were those in retaliation to criticism? That’s what differentiates it from Charlie Hebdo.

Top Bottom