• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Releases Best Sellers of 2020, Top 10 Dominated by Nintendo

Bullet Club

Amazon Releases Best Sellers of 2020, Top 10 Dominated by Nintendo​

Nintendo takes eight out of the top 10 in Amazon's US chart.

As the longest year in history comes to a close we start to see a range of lists emerge. These lists usually shine a light on the top-performing games of the year across Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony platforms.

One surefire sign of how well a game sold is online retailer Amazon’s Best Sellers of the year, something which looks to have everything in its final order. Taken from both Amazon US and Amazon UK, here is how this year’s lists have shaped up.

Amazon US:

1. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Physical)
2. Super Mario 3D All-Stars
3. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
4. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
5. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Digital)
6. Cyberpunk 2077 (PS4)
7. Ring Fit Adventure
8. Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
9. The Last of Us Part II
10. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

The US chart shows just how dominant the Nintendo Switch has been this year, with a total of eight out of Amazon’s top 10 games being on the hybrid console. Cyberpunk’s highly contentious PS4 version and Naughty Dog’s The Last of Us Part II are the only outsiders to crack the top 10.

Amazon UK:

1. Animal Crossing New Horizons
2. FIFA 21 (PS4)
3. Minecraft (Switch)
4. Super Mario 3D All-Stars
5. FIFA 21 (Xbox One)
6. Just Dance 2021 (Switch)
7. The Last of Us Part II
8. Cyberpunk 2077 (PS4)
9. Assassin’s Creed Valhalla (Xbox One)
10. Assassin’s Creed Valhalla (PS4)

The UK list tells a slightly different story. Nintendo still has a majority, this time shared with Sony, as both companies take four spots in the list. As expected, Microsoft takes the last two. FIFA 21, which is always incredibly popular in the UK, occupies two of the top five spaces, with Nintendo taking the other three. Assassin’s Creed Valhalla is one of this year’s surprise entries. The game topped the UK Christmas sales chart for the first time in the franchise’s history and takes two spots in Amazon’s top 10 list of this year.

Alongside Amazon, Steam recently released its top-grossing titles of 2020. This list slightly different from Amazon’s list, however, with Steam being a digital platform. The top-grossing games there included Red Dead Redemption II, Among Us and Fall Guys.

Source: Dualshockers

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
5. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Digital)
Weird. Are digital games on Amazon cheaper than on the eshop or something?

Kataploom

Gold Member
It's weird when people say that it's been a bad year for Nintendo when it's been one of the best years for them.

Maybe they didn't release some games scheduled for this year due to COVID but still released a lot of low to mid tier ones and one big hit so yeah, Nintendo is better than any gaming company now, including the other console makers since their expenses where not that big (due to new consoles releases).

Woopah

It's weird when people say that it's been a bad year for Nintendo when it's been one of the best years for them.

Maybe they didn't release some games scheduled for this year due to COVID but still released a lot of low to mid tier ones and one big hit so yeah, Nintendo is better than any gaming company now, including the other console makers since their expenses where not that big (due to new consoles releases).
There evergreens have done well but their release schedule has been poor, even in terms of sales.

Animal Crossing has done incredibly well but it'll be the only game Nintendo released this year to cross 10 million (probably).

Every other year of Switch Nintendo has released three 10 million sellers at least.

Kataploom

Gold Member
There evergreens have done well but their release schedule has been poor, even in terms of sales.

Animal Crossing has done incredibly well but it'll be the only game Nintendo released this year to cross 10 million (probably).

Every other year of Switch Nintendo has released three 10 million sellers at least.
Yeah but they are lower tier games, like remakes and low budget stuff like that tabletop collections, so they don't expect for them to be big hits more than just have a regular release schedule. Also, SM3DA should probably reach 10M since it was at 5M like a couple weeks after release

Makes you question Sony’s AAA blockbuster games policy. Is it really worth it?

Do people really want those types of games and can Sony profit off it?

I mean I don't think Sony will stop making them as long as people still want them. Not every studio needs to produce Nintendo like games. Some people want to play titles like Ghosts of Tsushima and Spiderman. For example.

Woopah

Yeah but they are lower tier games, like remakes and low budget stuff like that tabletop collections, so they don't expect for them to be big hits more than just have a regular release schedule. Also, SM3DA should probably reach 10M since it was at 5M like a couple weeks after release
Somehow I completely forgot about 3D all stars haha.

Even so 2020 releases are still weak by Nintendo Switch standards. 2021 will be way better I'm sure.

cryptoadam

Banned
Breath of the wild coming in at number 10 3 years after release is amazing. Granted it is the best game on the system so people should continue to buy it. Mario Kart is a better pack in game but at some point BOTW should just be pre loaded.

Crazy idea but what if Nintendo did a bundle when BOTW2 launched with a Zelda themed Switch + BOTW? Would be a great way to build hype for BOTW2. You buy a switch get BOTW1 and then of course your gonna wanna buy the sequel.

GymWolf

27b.gif

Kataploom

Gold Member
Somehow I completely forgot about 3D all stars haha.

Even so 2020 releases are still weak by Nintendo Switch standards. 2021 will be way better I'm sure.
I don't think it's been week, but could definitely be better, that's for sure if pandemic wasn't a factor this year. I know it helped AC sales but it doesn't mean the game wouldn't have sold very well anyway, the 3DS one already got very popular and was one of the horses that carried the console peek years

cryptoadam

Banned
Sales wise 2020 was amazing for Nintendo.

Software wise not so good.

But TBH I think it makes sense since PS4 and XBOX were dying anyways and it was proven no need to waste huge megatons against those systems. 2021/2022 when next gen is really getting into the swing of things MK9, Splatoon 3, Odyssey 2, Metroid 4, BOTW2 etc gonna be needed to keep Nintendo momentum.

More software wouldn't have really pushed more sales since Nintendo was already killing it. So having those aces up their sleeves is going to be huge. The fact the Cyberpunk did well but didn't hurt Nintendo is a huge boon to them. That was probably the one game that could of put a dent in Nintendos year but they managed to get past it.

brian0057

Banned
Jesus Christ, Dualshockers. Cool it with the hyperbole.
"The longest year in history"?
I'm sure those soldiers in both World Wars might disagree with you just a little. Hell, the entirety of the 20th century alone is full of some of the worst years in human history.
This year sucked, no doubt. But it's neither the longest nor the worst ever.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure those soldiers in both World Wars might disagree with you just a little. Hell, the entirety of the 20th century alone is full of some of the worst years in human history.
Raughs in Genghis Khan

HYDE

Banned
And this is why Nintendo continues to suck at software output consistency...
Why put out more games? Especially when you can make the same 5 games every console generation and people lap it up.
So glad I have a PlayStation, and I am not bound to waiting an eternity for the next Mario or Zelda or even longer for Metroid.

Edit: I also have a Switch, but if it were my only system...cringe!

Last edited:
No? The Chart is dominated by game cards and accessories . Also Amazon didn't release anything, that best seller list is always there

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
People really like their switches. Its crazy to me that MK8 and Zelda are still selling that well. MK8 not as much, but Zelda still being there this many years later to me is indeed crazy.

Has any other zelda had that long of a tail?

Handheld gaming always had a market for itself. The Switch fulfills that without a competitor - other than smartphones. Not surprised to see it do well. People will buy the games that's on the system - they can't get the latest COD or A-Creed. While the first party output from Nintendo hasn't been as stellar this year I welcome their place as a springboard to console gamers on more adult oriented platforms - the grooming process. Keeps some giants with dreams of killing the box at margins by starving them of of a client pool to be tapped. May that be the case for long.

Last edited:
Why put out more games? Especially when you can make the same 5 games every console generation and people lap it up.
So glad I have a PlayStation, and I am not bound to waiting an eternity for the next Mario or Zelda or even longer for Metroid.
Yeah, it's so crazy that the #3 game is a launch title that was a port of a game from their previous console, and is still selling at the original MSRP. I completely get why Nintendo doesn't even bother making games, because what is the fucking point? People buy Nintendo consoles to buy and play the new version of the same 5-10 games every gen, so just make one of those per console and be done with it.

Trying to compare with Sony's approach is pointless because only Nintendo can do this because they have such an emotional stranglehold on gamers. I mean there was literally a thread about how someone was using Animal Crossing as a depression medication. Nintendo has such a bizarre almost surrogate parent relationship with so many people, it's like Nintendo raised them and is now part of their family and is treated like a living entity or something. They can get away with pretty much anything because the next Zelda or Animal Crossing game is literally a part of their emotional state of being.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Crazy idea but what if Nintendo did a bundle when BOTW2 launched with a Zelda themed Switch + BOTW? Would be a great way to build hype for BOTW2. You buy a switch get BOTW1 and then of course your gonna wanna buy the sequel.
I would like it if they packed it in with an upgraded switch pro or something. I then think it would be a great deal.

Woopah

I don't think it's been week, but could definitely be better, that's for sure if pandemic wasn't a factor this year. I know it helped AC sales but it doesn't mean the game wouldn't have sold very well anyway, the 3DS one already got very popular and was one of the horses that carried the console peek years
Without Covid I think AC would still have sold over 20 million, just not this quickly.

Plus when I think people talk about 2020 being weak for Nintendo they mainly mean software quality. 2019 and 2017 were way way better.

scydrex

I think anyone who owns a Swtich have those Nintendo exclusives in the top 10. The PS4 have more than 100 millions sold and how much did God of War sold? Not everyone who owns a PS buy God of War or all the PS exclusives.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned

You know you're allowed to own more than one console, right?

When you go to buy a PlayStation they don't ask "do you already own a Nintendo or Xbox console" and refuse to sell you one if you say "yes".

Saruhashi

Banned
Yeah, it's so crazy that the #3 game is a launch title that was a port of a game from their previous console, and is still selling at the original MSRP. I completely get why Nintendo doesn't even bother making games, because what is the fucking point? People buy Nintendo consoles to buy and play the new version of the same 5-10 games every gen, so just make one of those per console and be done with it.

Trying to compare with Sony's approach is pointless because only Nintendo can do this because they have such an emotional stranglehold on gamers. I mean there was literally a thread about how someone was using Animal Crossing as a depression medication. Nintendo has such a bizarre almost surrogate parent relationship with so many people, it's like Nintendo raised them and is now part of their family and is treated like a living entity or something. They can get away with pretty much anything because the next Zelda or Animal Crossing game is literally a part of their emotional state of being.

I love how there always has to be some kind of weird "deeper truth" here.

It couldn't just be that those games are pretty good and fun to play?
Nope... bizarre... surrogate parent... blah blah blah.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Without Covid I think AC would still have sold over 20 million, just not this quickly.

Plus when I think people talk about 2020 being weak for Nintendo they mainly mean software quality. 2019 and 2017 were way way better.
That's fair, for core gamers at least. I'll get Xenoblade, Mario and that's it from this year.

OuterLimits

it's similar to the hyperbole some people(including media occasionally) calling Covid-19 the worst pandemic in history. It's like the bubonic plague, smallpox, polio, Spanish flu and many other viral/bacterial pandemics that had a much higher mortality rate than Corona didn't exist.

on topic. Nintendo make fun games that appeal to a large audience. Combine that with a console people are eager to buy(unlike Wii U) and their software sells crazy numbers for several years.

HYDE

Banned
You know you're allowed to own more than one console, right?

When you go to buy a PlayStation they don't ask "do you already own a Nintendo or Xbox console" and refuse to sell you one if you say "yes".
It’s like you only read the first sentence of my post.

Saruhashi

Banned
Makes you question Sony’s AAA blockbuster games policy. Is it really worth it?

Definitely worth it.

Plenty of room and scope for lots of different games.

AAA for me tends to represent storytelling on the level of blockbuster cinema and I think there is definitely a space for that.

If gaming was just Mario Kart and Animal Crossing type games then that would be a bit boring.

Though I would say anyone who doesn't understand why Mario Kart has a wider appeal than say TLOU2 or God of War is a bit clueless in general.
Not that those games should try to have a wider appeal.

Last edited:

Woopah

People really like their switches. Its crazy to me that MK8 and Zelda are still selling that well. MK8 not as much, but Zelda still being there this many years later to me is indeed crazy.

This is by far the leggiest Zelda in the history of the franchise. I think that November 2020 was only the 2nd or 3rd time since launch that it didn't make the NPD's top 20 of the month.

This year has been shit from them, but normally Nintendo is one of the most prolific publishers in the industry. They publish more games from more franchises than almost anyone else. It's definitely more than 10 franchises each gen (though I agree they have trouble creating/financing new long-term franchises. Most of the new IP they publish are just one-offs and we never get sequels).
That's fair, for core gamers at least. I'll get Xenoblade, Mario and that's it from this year.
Yeah not too great. Next year will be way better I'm sure.

Last edited:

KingT731

Nope. Not even remotely close.

carlosrox

Banned

Good thing the Switch has many more games than that.

Third party only exists on Playstation.

KingT731

Good thing the Switch has many more games than that.

Third party only exists on Playstation.
3rd party definitely does exist and there are a lot of real gems but overall quality? Can't really say it's comparable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom