• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon [UK] blocks non-Prime members from buying certain video games

Kuni

Videogamer (David Scammell) said:
Amazon has extended its "Prime-Exclusive Items" initiative to block non-Prime members from being able to purchase certain video games.

Grand Theft Auto 5 screenshot
The change was spotted by customers this morning, with the PS4 versions of GTA 5, Rainbow Six Siege and Assassin's Creed Syndicate now only available to Prime members, along with the PS4 and Xbox One versions of Far Cry Primal, Battlefield Hardline and more.

If you aren't a member of Amazon Prime, you will now see a box with a blue border on the right of the page "identifying the item as Prime-Exclusive", and will not be able to add the item to your basket.

It isn't yet clear exactly how many games are now available exclusively to Prime members. The initiative does not prevent buyers purchasing the affected items from third-party sellers.

"Prime-Exclusive items are products for sale on Amazon that can only be purchased if you're a member of Amazon Prime," Amazon says on its website. "As a Prime member, you can choose from millions of Prime-eligible items sold on Amazon.co.uk."

A subscription to Amazon Prime costs £79.99 per year. VideoGamer.com has contacted Amazon for comment.

Videogamer

rnZ7hMr.jpg

I just don't understand....

Edit - I posted in the thread how to send feedback email to Amazon and putting it here for visibility:

You can send feedback email here - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/contact-us. The options to pick are:
  • "Prime and more"
  • "Other non-order questions"
  • "Give Amazon feedback"

danowat

Banned
Wha?

Mental, considering there are a raft of other outlets that will sell you those games for comparable prices

Hasney

That's odd... I actually bought Prime yesterday because Now is in my area finally, but blocking stuff sure is odd.

Wha?

Mental, considering there are a raft of other outlets that will sell you those games for comparable prices

Yeah, I mean, other than getting a game within an hour now, Amazon were one of my last resorts if I really wanted something due to their delivery service and prices. So many other games websites will sell it for cheaper and faster without £80 a year.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
What?

This should be ringing alarm bells about how dependent people are on Amazon that they're prepared to not sell to you unless you're subscribing to their services.

Good job there's plenty of other places to buy games,that's similar to Game having exclusive games with specific DLC or gimmicks.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
they did it with wasteland 2 but they've now included the WoW game time card.

i have been thinking of getting Prime cause I buy 99% of stuff from amazon but this is basically forcing me to sign up if i want to buy from them. it's not on.

fuck you amazon. keep this shit up and i will go elsewhere.

mclem

I can just about understand prioritising Prime users if there's stock limitations, but these are games that have been out for some time now, and I'd be very surprised if there's any such issue.

E-phonk

Banned
My country doesn't offer anything prime related (i mean their streaming service) - so why would I take prime.

wtf indeed.

They don't even give 20% off on new releases like they do in the states.
If they did I would get the subscription but atm I guess if I need anything that's locked to Prime members only I can get my friend to order it to me

KJRS_1993

Just pop the Amazon link into Flubit.com and get them cheaper than Amazon's listed price anyway.
You'd think it's an error, because it's hopelessly daft if not. I don't know anyone who really relies on Amazon for games at all.

danowat

Banned
Ok, just checked on Amazon, and you can still select and add to your basket through other resellers on there, even ones supplied by Amazon, it's just those directly through Amazon that won't add to basket.

Can they do this without the publishers permission?

Seems like something they'd want to avoid, unless Amazon is kicking some money their way...

people

PlayStation VITA is an Amazon Prime Exlusive on amazon.fr (this particular Lego Pack, sold directly by Amazon.fr - does not apply to all/other packs or vendors)

Kazooie

Banned
Absolute nonsense and will just stop me buying from Amazon. Not sure why they are doing such a massive push to get everyone on Prime. Not everyone wants next day delivery or the streaming service.

SnowHawk

You can get Far Cry Primal for cheaper from a third party seller which is fulfilled by Amazon.

This move makes no sense to me.

Kuni

Thankfully my flatmate and I share prime and this counts for me but this is just a very confusing and anti-consumer move...

What the hell? That is unbelievably anti-consumer.

I'm already pissed that they merged "next day delivery service" with "shitty streaming service" and doubled the price. WTF are they on?

danowat

Banned
Prime should be an added value service for those that choose to subscribe, not a gated purchasing system for those that don't, offer Prime members a discount, but just blanket stopping people buying from Amazon because they don't subscribe is a shitty move.

Still waiting for the news that this was a mistake.

UK amazon has been becoming an absolute shitshow for months now. Ive gone from doing 90% of my online shopping there, even if items are more expensive, to occasionally making a new account to take advantage of the free trial of prime.

The final straw for me was when Microsoft had a promotion where all their first party titles dropped in price across all retailers, but amazon locked the discounts behind prime as if they were doing it off their own back.

For alot of things, argos, very, shop2, tgc and even zavvi are better bets now.

MLH

I don't buy any of my games from Amazon any more, in fact I rarely buy anything.
If I do need something I'll make a search on Amazon, find a seller, then usually find they have their own site so I can cut out Amazon as the middle man.

As for Video Games the UK is hugely competivite with many online stores matching or beating prices for new games.
Here's a list of a few stores I use:
Gameseek, ShopTo, 365games, VideoGameBox, CoolShop, GamesCentre, TheGameCollection, GraingerGames, RiceDigital, GAME, SimplyGames and the supermarkets (ASDA, Sainsburys, Tesco etc)

Even then if you can't find it cheaper than Amazon try Flubit

Steroyd

Fuck off Amazon, I was salty enough with their Black Friday shenanigans, now I'm potentially outright locked out of buying certain games? Good luck with that.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I have Prime, and have always have good experiences with their customer service, but this is surprisingly bad.

I would have thought that this would negatively affect them, seeing as £40+80 is a lot more than £45 or 50. To me that would drive sales elsewhere, not get more Prime customers. Unless they think people will use their free month on GTA them keep the service.

gelf

Well that solidifys Amazon at the back of my queue for buying stuff online. That's a terrible move.

ps3ud0

WTF? This seems just too stupid to hold to ransom the very products you sell...

Never gonna buy Prime now, but that student deal was enticing

ps3ud0 8)

glaurung

I encountered this same thing when I was buying the Captain America Winter Soldier blu-ray earlier this week. Prime exclusive.

Signed up for the trial month, but good luck getting £79 from me.

Hasney

The funniest thing about the GTA V example is that when I went to look at it, there's a cheaper seller, fulfilled by Amazon that isn't Prime exclusive. Hilarious.

Top Bottom