• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon USA top sales is pretty lopsided in PS4's favor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcfrank

I am getting both, but I think it is crazy how much the tide has turned in the PS4's favor. I wish there was some real numbers with this like there are in the UK thread. Non-launch PS4 is outselling a launch Xbox One.

amazon.png

Majmun

Five Ps4 sku's in the top ten? O_O

The Xbox One is the only non-Playstation item on the list...

MoeB

sony always wins.

price, of course. nobody cares about the DRM and always online. Whoever ordered through amazon most likely has a stable connection to the internet anyway. It simply comes down to the price.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Man, if the US becomes Sony territory as well, this will be a tough generation for Microsoft.

All that marketshare pissed down the drain over a few hilariously terrible decisions on pricing and policy.

Are Amazon sales charts even important? You can lock in a pre-order without actually paying anything and cancel it later (compared to other retailers where the opposite is true and you have to pay upfront). This doesn't automatically translate to actual sales in the end. There is no risk for people to "pre-order" the system on Amazon if they have even the slightest bit of interest in the system.

Sylent01

Too bad we won't get any actual numbers from Amazon. I am a little worried that if sales are very lop-sided this gen, Sony will return to the arrogant Sony we saw post-ps2. I do want xbone to be successful even though I prefer PS4.

mcfrank

Are Amazon sales charts even important? You can lock in a pre-order without actually paying anything and cancel it later (compared to other retailers where the opposite is true and you have to pay upfront). This doesn't automatically translate to actual sales in the end. There is no risk for people to "pre-order" the system on Amazon if they have even the slightest bit of interest in the system.

Would still be indicative of what people are interested in. Plus it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy at some point. People see the PS4 is winning, so they get a PS4 to be where most of the other people are, which causes the PS4 to keep winning.

Emitan

If there's no risk why aren't they preordering Xbone as well?

Into

The most worrying thing for MS about this is that the Xbox One games are not keeping any pace with the PS4 ones, showing that perhaps its mostly scalpers buying the Xbone for resale.

They are - evidently just not as often. All I'm saying is that this means nothing until November when the systems actually release. I suppose you could say the PS4 is generating more interest than the XBox One right now, but there's five months until the launch of both of these systems. It should come as no surprise that not even one week after E3 that the PS4 is generating more interest.

Pointing to Amazon sales charts as a sign that one system is outselling the other is disingenuous.

Man

Too bad we won't get any actual numbers from Amazon. I am a little worried that if sales are very lop-sided this gen, Sony will return to the arrogant Sony we saw post-ps2.
I don't think the PS3 generation failures and the insane PS4 comeback will go by the wayside in future Sony decisions.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

It's true that we shouldn't try to estimate absolute numbers of sales from this data, but it does give us an indication of the relative popularity of the two consoles on Amazon.

If your theory is that people who preordered a PS4 are more likely not to follow through than the people who preordered an X1 (or vice versa), then it would make sense to dismiss the relative magnitude of sales as well. However, you'd have to provide a compelling rationale for that prediction. Why is one group less likely to follow through than the other?

They are - evidently just not as often. All I'm saying is that this means nothing until November when the systems actually release. I suppose you could say the PS4 is generating more interest than the XBox One right now, but there's five months until the launch of both of these systems. It should come as no surprise that not even one week after E3 that the PS4 is generating more interest.

Pointing to Amazon sales charts as a sign that one system is outselling the other is disingenuous.

Why is that? Both systems were showcased on the same day. Why should this logically lead to PS4 being more popular in the moment?

You seem to have an implicit theory that X1 will gain in popularity over the next 5 months while the PS4 will not. Again, why predict that?

entremet

Price is the big factor here. 100 bucks is a huge disparity for consoles that are basically getting the same 3rd party support.

Seth

Check out gamestops best selling items. Got to this page by clicking their "most anticipated" lis ton the front page.

ZXQev0m.png

Wynnebeck

Banned

aaaand we're done here.

Eh, preorder numbers don't mean much. It'll certainly do more than Xbone, but I'm still worried about the overall launch of both systems.

This is the 2nd time I've seen you say this in a different thread. Please explain why these pre-orders don't matter if not gauging the general interest in the consoles. Having 5 spots on the top best seller list be PS4 SKUs is nothing to sneeze at.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I am getting both, but I think it is crazy how much the tide has turned in the PS4's favor. I wish there was some real numbers with this like there are in the UK thread. Non-launch PS4 is outselling a launch Xbox One.

amazon.png
You can get a idea how bad it is for MS from this
4 skus vs 1
The first is selling more then the Xbone + 3 addition skus
Mindblown!

It's true that we shouldn't try to estimate absolute numbers of sales from this data, but it does give us an indication of the relative popularity of the two consoles on Amazon.

If your theory is that people who preordered a PS4 are more likely not to follow through than the people who preordered an X1 (or vice versa), then it would make sense to dismiss the relative magnitude of sales as well. However, you'd have to provide a compelling rationale for that prediction. Why is one group less likely to follow through than the other?

That is not my theory at all (and I'm not sure how you even came to that conclusion). I'm simply saying that Amazon sales charts five months out from release is not exactly indicative of market performance in November. The PS4 may very well do this well in November, but you can't infer that from Amazon sales charts five months out (of which we don't even have numbers for).

Why is that? Both systems were showcased on the same day. Why should this logically lead to PS4 being more popular in the moment?

Because Sony did a better job at E3. It's natural that there should be more interest in the PS4 than the XBox One less than one week after the event.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

amazon.png
Bah I called it in the watch dogs conference that there'd be a watchdog pack I'm with ps4. So my source was gud. I'm going to pick that one up since their bonuses are tied to how many copies are sold.

Minigo

XBONE is leading as the best seller item in Canada.

there is a caveat thou, PS4 was only available for pre-order like for 2 hours after the conference, then it sold out, then few days after that it was available for pre-order again, then it lasted less than a day available and it sold out again, XBONE have been available for pre-order since MS's conference was over and it has never sold out.

untitled-10kucf.jpg

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
That is not my theory at all (and I'm not sure how you even came to that conclusion). I'm simply saying that Amazon sales charts five months out from release is not exactly indicative of market performance in November. The PS4 may very well do this well in November, but you can't infer that from Amazon sales charts five months out (of which we don't even have numbers for).

Because Sony did a better job at E3. It's natural that there should be more interest in the PS4 than the XBox One less than one week after the event.

Do you think the present sales figures are completely uncorrelated with future launch sales, or just a weak predictor? I would deny the former and agree with the latter.

However, the reason you gave for skepticism (that anyone can cancel at any time and therefore these are not committed purchases) applies equally well to both platforms, so you can't use that as an argument against the claim that the PS4 appears to be more popular.

Of course things could change, even drastically, in the next 5 months. But why would they? What new information is going to emerge? MS might announce subsidized pricing. Both platform holders might announce some kind of megaton exclusives which alter the balance. I was probing you to come up with explanations for your prediction along these lines. I wasn't trying to argue that the rank-order popularity of the consoles could not change.

Nonetheless, unless you think one platform holder is more likely to make big moves in the next 5 months, why shouldn't we take these preliminary data as somewhat indicative of the final outcome at launch?

Is it just me or did Sony lift MS's strategy for the 360 wholesale?

400$, no BC, Paid multi, PC architecture, headset included. I honestly can't even think of a major difference.

Meh, random thoughts.

That would apply to both consoles, so what are you trying to get at with that point?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Shopto UK
ubuqygam.jpg

Was the same last week too, but Ryse was No10

Do you think it's completely uncorrelated, or just a weak predictor? I would deny the former and agree with the latter.

It depends on what you mean by "weak predictor." And, again, we are five months out from launch. It isn't even one week since the announcement of the price of these systems.

However, the reason you gave for skepticism (that anyone can cancel at any time and therefore these are not committed purchases) applies equally well to both platforms, so you can't use that as an argument against the claim that the PS4 appears to be more popular.

Of course it applies to both platforms equally. I was never arguing that the PS4 appears to be more popular right now. It very much is. I am skeptical that it will remain the same in November (relative to the XBox One).

Of course things could change, even drastically, in the next 5 months. But why would they? What new information is going to emerge? MS might announce subsidized pricing. Both platform holders might announce some kind of megaton exclusives which alter the balance. I was probing you to come up with explanations for your prediction along these lines. I wasn't trying to argue that the rank-order popularity of the consoles could not change.

You never probed me for these types of questions - just tried to insinuate that I had some agenda and was applying my argument unequally (which I wasn't unless you're a console warrior and read it that way).

Lots of things could change in the next five months. Launch titles are certainly a factor and currently a relatively unknown one. Perhaps one gets better marketing than the other. There are many things that can change. Do you honestly believe things will remain completely static from now until November?

That would apply to both consoles, so what are you trying to get at with that point?

Christ, the console warriors come from everywhere after E3. For the record, already answered this. It does indeed apply to both consoles (and I never implied otherwise). All I am saying is that Amazon sales charts five months out from launch and less than one week after E3 are not necessarily indicative of marketplace performance in November.

nib95

Banned
Xbox One is getting mauled in traditionally Microsoft oriented areas. It must be annihilation in the typically Sony territories.

nightever

Is it just me or did Sony lift MS's strategy for the 360 wholesale?

400$, no BC, Paid multi, PC architecture, headset included. I honestly can't even think of a major difference.

Meh, random thoughts.

Err, 360 has BC and is not PC architecture. Also, the price was not 400$.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom