• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon's $1 Billion 'Lord of The Rings' Series Will Run 5 Seasons

Nymphae

Banned
Seeing as how he was the one who oversaw the $1 billion deal to Amazon, he probably loved it.

Are there any statements that show a change in opinion from his previous statement about the commercialization of the work "reducing the aesthetic and philosophical impact of the creation to nothing"?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Are there any statements that show a change in opinion from his previous statement about the commercialization of the work "reducing the aesthetic and philosophical impact of the creation to nothing"?

Christopher Tolkien and the Estate brokered the entire Amazon deal and the Estate is HIGHLY involved in the series. That's why Peter Jackson declined to be involved as he and the Estate had clashes.

Nymphae

Banned
Christopher Tolkien and the Estate brokered the entire Amazon deal and the Estate is HIGHLY involved in the series. That's why Peter Jackson declined to be involved as he and the Estate had clashes.

From what I was able to find, the deal was only brokered after CT had stepped down as Director of the Tolkien estate, I can't find anything that says his opinion on the continued commercialization of the property had changed from previous statements.

ManaByte

Gold Member
From what I was able to find, the deal was only brokered after CT had stepped down as Director of the Tolkien estate, I can't find anything that says his opinion on the continued commercialization of the property had changed from previous statements.

Nymphae

Banned

lol

2JMDDgb.jpg

However, we can talk about the timing of this resignation. It seems that Tolkien resigned from the estate in August, but the news is just now starting to become public. And as you may remember, Amazon just signed a massively expensive deal to make a Lord of the Rings prequel series, complete with a press release touting the support of the Tolkien estate. At the time, this was puzzling – Christopher Tolkien didn’t like to play nice with Hollywood. And now we know why. This decision was clearly made without him at the helm.

Last edited:
Top Bottom