• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon's Fallout TV show new details apparently leaked

Starfield

UPDATE: 30/03: looks like this is more legit than we may thought

one is a ghoul played by Walter Goggins

and one is a girl in her 20's:

Screenshot_20220330-214902_Twitter.jpg

no clue how legit that source is or if that site is credible but apparently the show will revolve around 3 main characters:

-a ghoul
-a girl in her 20's
-a guy wearing a spacesuit as his armour/radiation shielding

sounds interesting to me but take it with a grain of salt. Got no clue about the show myself

Last edited:
The Fallout game story is by far the weakest part of the IP. It certainly isn't deep enough with a rich enough lore to lend itself to non-interactive media.

It's so campy and quirky that it works in a game format, but I just don't see how it can work for a TV show that is even in some part going to try and take itself seriously.

Warablo

The Fallout game story is by far the weakest part of the IP. It certainly isn't deep enough with a rich enough lore to lend itself to non-interactive media.

It's so campy and quirky that it works in a game format, but I just don't see how it can work for a TV show that is even in some part going to try and take itself seriously.
I totally disagree, the universe is a fantastic mix of 50-60's era with sci-fi/apocalyptic alternate timeline.

Fallout didn't even come across as campy or quirky either until Fallout 4/76 advertised it like that.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

Disagree, loved the stories in F3,4 AND New Vegas.

I dont about "campy" i mean to 50s theme is a bit campy, but the stories of the games themselves are pretty serious sci fi. The world, music and lore of fallout is richer and more engaging then a lot of tv shows.

It could be westworld meets the fifth element meets star trek meets the maturian candidate vibes. There so many different, mysterious and exciting stories they could do.

I totally disagree, the universe is a fantastic mix of 50-60's era with sci-fi/apocalyptic alternate timeline.

That's the setting, not the story.

Fallout didn't even come across as campy or quirky either until Fallout 4/76 advertised it like that.

Again I'm talking about the story. It hasn't taken itself seriously since FO3 (and I can only speak as this far back as I never played the game prior to FO3).

The_hunter

Fallout 2?

One of the reasons new vegas had a wild wasteland trait was from the disparity between fans of F1, and the fans of F2.

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Big fan of Walter, and the girl is pretty so...I am game. Fallout is my favorite video game setting and I think it has enough lore to make a good tv show.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Young lady looks like a thing Marion Cottilard; she's also good in YELLOW JACKETS.

. . . Goggins will of course be good. I've seen him do mincing admin, hillbilly gangster, cowboy racist, soldier racist, cross-dresser and of course, far out of their league crooked cop. He can sleep walk his way through this I'm sure.

jason10mm

Gold Member

I agree. The aesthetic of Fallout is pretty cool, but the "story", outside of the concept of a vault survivor exploring the surface world, is pretty thin.

I suspect this will be a lot like the Halo show. In stills it LOOKS like Halo, but in motion the story is only loosely connected.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
MV5BNTE1OWI1YzgtZjEyMy00MjQ4LWE0NWMtYTNhYjc0ZDQ3ZGRkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDQ2MTMzODA@._V1_.jpg
We already have the perfect fallout adaptation, it's called "The book of Eli"
wait.... Did I miss something? I remember watching this on release and absolutely loathing it.
But now that Denzel is advising Will Smith about "watching out for the devil"... the movie might come out different lol

TheKratos

Fuck the story, the post-apocalyptic setting is fantastic to translate into a series. It's up to the writer to make a great story for this setting.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

It's a setting that covers so many years across the games, w/ a world that has a ton of lore to create some stories out of.

I don't think anyone is expecting one of the game's stories to be part of a TV show, you are right they aren't particularly engaging.. but that's partly because of things like branching factions and whatnot.

The setting/lore can be pulled from for a TV show easily.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
The leakers don't even know how to spell Walt Goggins' name. He's not "Walter," his names is Walton.
This leak is fake.

This girl holds the unfortunate distinction of being the only actor I've ever seen to mispronounce the word "probably" on camera

Timestamped here thanks to RLM:

When I watched the movie (which I recommend avoiding because it's awful) I had to rewind it like 5 times because I was in disbelief that A. someone who speaks on camera for a living doesn't know how to pronounce the word 'probably' correctly and B. that the director and editor just left it in

It's a setting that covers so many years across the games, w/ a world that has a ton of lore to create some stories out of.

I don't think anyone is expecting one of the game's stories to be part of a TV show, you are right they aren't particularly engaging.. but that's partly because of things like branching factions and whatnot.

The setting/lore can be pulled from for a TV show easily.

I don't disagree. It's just that the tone of the stories, narratives and lore in the games is just so goofy that I cannot see how it can work for a TV series that is very likely to try to take itself too seriously.

If they change too much in order to make it work as a show, then it simply won't feel like Fallout anymore and then at that point, why bother?

That said, Fallout has very distinctive artistic themes, which I think would lend themselves very well to a TV show and if that's the only thing that remains of the Fallout IP in the TV show, it's worthwhile enough just for that.

I guess I'll just remain cautiously optimistic about this one.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This girl holds the unfortunate distinction of being the only actor I've ever seen to mispronounce the word "probably" on camera

When I watched the movie (which I recommend avoiding because it's awful) I had to rewind it like 5 times because I was in disbelief that A. someone who speaks on camera for a living doesn't know how to pronounce the word 'probably' correctly and B. that the director and editor just left it in

i mean, does it really matter……

….probaly!

Starfield

who gives a shit when she is hot af

Top Bottom