• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMC Releases Line-up of Series Regulars and New Photos for Better Call Saul

Status
Not open for further replies.

REV 09

Am i the only one who never really cared for the Saul character? I just don't see how he can be a leading role.

I hate this so much. There is zero reason for this to exist, and nothing to gain from its existence. But no, now we need a show about a side character forever beholden to another shows canon, tip toeing around and winking at familiarity.
I dunno about that. I mean, following this train of logic, as someone else brought up, there was no reason for "Fraiser" to ever exist, as it was just a shown about a side character from "Cheers." I'm damn well glad it did though, as it was an excellent sitcom. Spinoffs aren't inherently terrible and in fact a show being a spinoff says absolutely nothing about whether it will be a quality show or not. That depends solely on the quality of the writing and the show itself.

Personally, I'm pretty interested in this show, especially since it definitely doesn't seem to be just retreading the same ground as Breaking Bad and is going in its own direction with these characters in a way that makes me curious about it and I'm definitely at least going to give it a fair shake before concluding anything about it, which seems to be the last it deserves. Don't see any reason to inherently write it off just because its a spinoff. That's just being silly and makes no sense at all.

Honestly, I wasn't so sure about this at first, but now that the show is going full steam ahead I'm definitely excited. There's still a chance the show just will just suck of course, but it might also end up being decent. I'm willing to give it a try it for a few episodes.

JDSN

Banned
Im glad they are doing their own thing, shame that Bill Burr doesnt seem to be a part of that thing.

megamerican

I am pleasantly surprised Gilligan seems so heavily involved. I was half expecting him to slap his name on it, while moving on to other projects.

I have no doubt it will good. I just hope AMC has managed expectations for how it performs.

I dunno about that. I mean, following this train of logic, as someone else brought up, there was no reason for "Fraiser" to ever exist, as it was just a shown about a side character from "Cheers." I'm damn well glad it did though, as it was an excellent sitcom. Spinoffs aren't inherently terrible and in fact a show being a spinoff says absolutely nothing about whether it will be a quality show or not. That depends solely on the quality of the writing and the show itself.

Personally, I'm pretty interested in this show, especially since it definitely doesn't seem to be just retreading the same ground as Breaking Bad and is going in its own direction with these characters in a way that makes me curious about it and I'm definitely at least going to give it a fair shake before concluding anything about it, which seems to be the last it deserves. Don't see any reason to inherently write it off just because its a spinoff. That's just being silly and makes no sense at all.

Cheers and Frasier were comedies. Anything could have been spun off out of them. Breaking Bad is a show that told a finite story with an ending. If this is a comedy, does it fit with the world of BB? If this is a drama, is there any tension, since we know what happens? Saul was a character that had zero depth, but a premade catch phrase for a show title.

Draconian

Cheers and Frasier were comedies. Anything could have been spun off out of them. Breaking Bad is a show that told a finite story with an ending. If this is a comedy, does it fit with the world of BB? If this is a drama, is there any tension, since we know what happens? Saul was a character that had zero depth, but a premade catch phrase for a show title.

That was intentional. We only ever encounter Saul in the show when he's at work, doing Walter's bidding. We have no idea about his personal life, what makes him tick, or what kind of person he is when he's not doing his job. There is plenty of potential for great storytelling and giving depth to him here. It was not necessary for that to happen in Breaking Bad.

Looks like Jimmy McGill aka Saul Goodman starts off being less of an ambulance chaser than I thought.
BtG_hFqCUAAZxrt.jpg

Breaking Bad can't take place in 2006. One of the characters directly references the operation that killed Bin Laden.

They recently confirmed that it starts off in about 2002.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Oh man, why nobody told me about Orphan Black's Vic?

orphanblackdead02uld.gif

Now I'm 100% in. The show will most probably be an inferior product, but some belly laughs are pretty much assured.

Lots of anachronisms then. Like the model year of the Challenger that Walt buys (2009).

Oops, my bad. Thought you were talking BCS because of the thread and totally didn't read that you were talking of BB. BCS starts off at about 2002, so a four to five year span for the show to run its course if they wanted to make each season represent a year in plot time.

The show will most probably be an inferior product, but some belly laughs are pretty much assured.

I'm pretty confident it won't be comparable because they're two completely different shows.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I really believe the show won't do well.
feels like it will gain a lot of viewers for the first season, then drop them. maybe.

it better not be 'bad guy of the week' type stuff.

liquidtmd

Banned
It's a prequel and a sequel to Breaking Bad. There are going to be parts that take place after BB ended, so they could
retcon Walt's death if they really wanted to.

They would be insane to do that, even if there is a tiny bit of wiggle room to do so.

Five stellar seasons of Bad and an ending that held the landing has given me faith he knows what he's doing. I'm not crazy about the need and premise of the show as for me the driving force of Bad, despite the immense amount of other things to like about it, was Walt / Cranston. Such an amazing descent into madness and his 'normal' persona every bit as interesting as Heisenberg.

Saul - was a vaguely interesting comic relief but I'm rarely fond of prequels. Odenkirks a great guy and actor though so I'm in for Season 1 definitely

more importantly, breaking bad can't take place in 2006 because that would mean that Jessie is playing Rage, on kinect, in 2007. also, skinny pete and badger have that zombie conversation about COD WAW and Left 4 dead, both late 2008 games.

the idea stinks (most prequels do, really) but my vidja games knowledge won't let this bullshit stand

more importantly, breaking bad can't take place in 2006 because that would mean that Jessie is playing Rage, on kinect, in 2007. also, skinny pete and badger have that zombie conversation about COD WAW and Left 4 dead, both late 2008 games.

He played it with a gun though so in this alternate no controller lightgun on rails RAGE reality it released in 2007, clearly.

Vince has said that they never had a timeline for the show it was supposed to represent all times as he wanted it to be timeless. He said that the modern references weren't really thought out. RAGE was just a stupid product placement, and the lightgun heavy symbolism. Honestly besides a few slipups it's done relativity well.

Mathezar

Can't wait, although I hope he doesn't have the same character traits throughout the series. I think too much of the BB Saul Goodman, a constant slime ball and weasel, can be somewhat off-putting, though looking at him transform into that kind of person can be interesting.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Disappointing that Vince Gilligan is wasting his time on this instead of moving on to something new.

BFIB

Disappointing that Vince Gilligan is wasting his time on this instead of moving on to something new.

Odds are he's helping to get this up and running. My guess is he steps away as show runner in a few years to work on another project.

I love Mike as a character and I'm really excited to see him back, but I don't get why everyone seems to love him just as much, if not more, than Walter White.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I remember Mike always being so unnecessarily cunty to Walter White. He's lucky he didn't get shot sooner if that's how he talked to all the drug dealers. I remember Walter trying to be professional and fair with him before he went full complete Heisenberg... and then Mike seemed to have a problem with Walter being a cunt?

andycapps

I love Mike as a character and I'm really excited to see him back, but I don't get why everyone seems to love him just as much, if not more, than Walter White.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I remember Mike always being so unnecessarily cunty to Walter White. He's lucky he didn't get shot sooner if that's how he talked to all the drug dealers. I remember Walter trying to be professional and fair with him before he went full complete Heisenberg... and then Mike seemed to have a problem with Walter being a cunt?

Breaking Bad spoilers below

Mike being a grumpy old man is part of his charm. As far as why he was always "cunty" to Walter White, most of that was that White didn't know what the hell he was doing for the majority of the time in his dealings with Mike, so Mike was skeptical his ideas would work. Also, Mike was loyal to those he worked with, and he was Gus' right hand man. When Gus was taken out, Mike lost his employer and his paychecks.

Summary, Walter White was the real cunt the whole series. It's a credit to the writing team and to Bryan Cranston that they made him as likeable as he was.

studyguy

I guess...
I mean I thought Breaking Bad was great and all, but the Saul character overall doesn't strike me as worth making an entire series over.

Dyno

Am i the only one who never really cared for the Saul character? I just don't see how he can be a leading role.

Bob Odenkirk is the guy all the other famous comedy guys consult when they're doing a show or movie or even a stand-up routine. He's a fixer with a lot of experience and he gets a ton of respect. If you haven't seen any Mr. Show then do yourself a favour.

Lots of people really like what Bob did playing Saul but I understand you don't so much. What I'm saying is give Bob the benefit of the doubt because since he is now the lead he will have spent a lot of time working on this to turn it into something great. He's got that outlook and mentality and now he's got this great opportunity to become the next Bryon Cranston. He just may pull it off.

ShogunX

How do you know he's wasting his time?

He doesn't. People just like to fucking moan and bitch about anything.

Let's at least see how the first few episodes pan out before crying how this isn't needed or how Saul isn't a deep character. The potential to develop Saul's character is pretty great considering the amount of shady shit he's got himself in to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom