• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD’s 7nm EPYC, Ryzen, Radeon Family Leads To Highest Quarterly Revenue Since 2005

thelastword

Banned
AMD has just announced its record revenue of $1.80 Billion in the third quarter of 2019 and also its highest quarterly revenue since 2005. This was the first full quarter of AMD's 7nm lineup, featuring their new 2nd Generation EPYC, 3rd Gen Ryzen and Radeon RX 5700 series Navi products, leading to a 9% increase in revenue from the previous year & an 18% revenue increase from the previous quarter.

AMD Posts Strong Q3 2019 Financials - First Full Quarter of 7nm EPYC, Ryzen, Radeon Lead To Highest Quarterly Revenue Since 2005

For Q3 2019, AMD has announced a revenue of 1.80 Billion, an operating income of $186 million and a net income of $120 million. Following are the highlights of the AMD Q3 2019 earnings report:

• Revenue was $1.80 billion, up 9 percent year-over-year and 18 percent quarter-over-quarter due to higher revenue in the Computing and Graphics segment, partially offset by lower revenue in the Enterprise, Embedded, and Semi-Custom segment.
  • Gross margin was 43 percent, up 3 percentage points year-over-year and 2 percentage points
    quarter-over-quarter, primarily driven by increased RyzenTM and EPYCTM processor sales.
  • Operating income was $186 million compared to $150 million a year ago and $59 million in the prior quarter. Non-GAAP operating income was $240 million compared to $186 million a year ago and $111 million in the prior quarter. The year-over-year and sequential increases were primarily due to higher revenue in the Computing and Graphics segment.
  • Net income was $120 million compared to $102 million a year ago and $35 million in the prior quarter. Non-GAAP net income was $219 million compared to $150 million a year ago and $92 million in the prior quarter.
  • Diluted earnings per share were $0.11 compared to $0.09 a year ago and $0.03 in the prior quarter. Non-GAAP diluted earnings per share were $0.18 compared to $0.13 a year ago and $0.08 in the prior quarter.
  • Cash, cash equivalents and marketable securities were $1.2 billion at the end of the quarter.

tOKqkgl.png

FZrrLfW.png

OlbgD4w.png

We have already seen major impact of 3rd Gen Ryzen processors in various markets where AMD has finally started taking control of major desktop and notebook PC market share. There have also been the same reports for AMD's EPYC lineup which is expected to hit the double-digit market share by the end of 2020.

AMD's enterprise, embedded and semi-custom revenue was $525 million, down 27% from the previous year and 11% sequentially. These were mostly due to lower semi-custom sales on the console front but EPYC was able to offset this due to stronger sales with the new 2nd Generation lineup.

It should be pointed out that most of the semi-custom chips are designed for consoles which include the Microsoft Xbox One, the Sony PlayStation 4 and their refreshed, updated variants. These console manufacturers are on the verge of introducing their next-generation products featuring AMD's latest Zen and Radeon cores so the slow down is expected as both console giants switch over to AMD's next-gen custom SOCs for their products.

Current Outlook

For the fourth quarter of 2019, AMD expects revenue to be approximately $2.1 billion, plus or minus $50 million, an increase of approximately 48 percent year-over-year and approximately 17 percent sequentially. The year-over-year and sequential increases are expected to be driven by an increase in Ryzen, EPYC, and Radeon product sales. AMD expects non-GAAP gross margin to be approximately 44 percent in the fourth quarter of 2019.

https://wccftech.com/amd-q3-2019-revenue-epyc-ryzen-radeon-highest-since-2005/

--------------------------------------------------
it's important to keep in mind a few things.....

AMD revenue has gone up and had a very successful quarter one of their best.....Even then, that is without threadripper, which is looking like the HEDT processor to end HEDT processors. They did not replace their Polaris lineup which harnesses the most GPU sales and has the biggest market..... and yet their 16 core desktop processor was not out either...…

I think Quarter 4 is going to be the real juggernaut for AMD on their resurgence, with even better quarters from hence forward into 2020 near PS5/Scarlett's launch......Quarter 4 will introduce Threadripper 7nm, .AMD APU Renoir 7nm, Ryzen 3950x, the RX5500 series (New Gen Polaris replacement) with the possibility of the RX5600 series as well (Vega 64 + 56 replacement).........I think that would be a good strategy for Quarter 4 with the big software roll out they have upcoming with adrenalin and continued CPU performance improvements with AGESA updates........It would be great if they launched a RX5800 series for the holidays, and that would be a knockout punch.......Hopefully they announce something early November....However without 5800, AMD is pretty much poised for huge gains in Q4........

Also, being down on embedded and semi custom chips is expected.......Lower XBONE and PS4 sales as this gen wraps up is a given, with heavy focus now on R&D etc....for next gen machines.....Hopefully the rumors we were hearing on a 7nm PS4 is true and AMD can save production costs there and Sony's PS4 can ramp up again before the next gen begins.....It will also make the PS4 viable and cheap enough to sell even beyond the PS5's launch, which means more money to AMD......

All in all, great quarter...…I'm especially grateful to AMD that consoles will get some insanely powerful kit in 2020.....Cheers to a set of great engineers, which is making small, low powered and extremely powerful chips for SFF devices......I think this is a revolutionary time in the industry, where for the longest while we were just stuck on some hotbed 4 core i7 chips and expensive gameworks GPU's with modest gains vs the price hikes demanded...…...

Reallink

I think you're grossly overestimating the market for Threadripper and 16 core super enthusiast CPU's OP, and the $300 5700 is the bread and butter mainstream of GPU's in 2019 dollars. These revenue gains are honestly underwhelming given both Ryzen 3 and Navi representation in the mainstream segments finally being somewhat competitive for the first time in over a decade. Honestly I would have expected revenue growth in the triple digits, but maybe the mainstream desktop segment is a much smaller percentage of AMD's revenue than I'm imagining.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
I think you're grossly overestimating the market for Threadripper and 16 core super enthusiast CPU's OP, and the $300 5700 is the bread and butter mainstream of GPU's in 2019 dollars. These revenue gains are honestly underwhelming given both Ryzen 3 and Navi representation in the mainstream segments finally being somewhat competitive for the first time in over a decade. Honestly I would have expected revenue growth in the triple digits, but maybe the mainstream desktop segment is a much smaller percentage of AMD's revenue than I'm imagining.
The growth you are citing won't be something you see overnight. Thats impossible in any industry.... Especially if you consider how behind AMD was and how paltry it's marketshare and mindshare was just under 2 years ago in both gpu and cpu circles, AMD had no presence in entire technology markets which it has now........

AMD is now leading the charge in many regions now, even diehard Intel folk can't deny AMD products now because it's better bang for your buck, which is what business is, doing the best thing for your bottom line...... AMD is now on the Apple, Amazon, Google, MS and Sony train...... They have amassed so many highscale partners and contracts in the last two years.... That's serious business growth.

You remember when Intel and NV had 95%+ marketshare, that is no more, but to think AMD would reverse monopolize NV and Intel overnight....Two much bigger companies in such a small space of time is really asking too much...
AMD however is growing fast, because Intel and NV were sitting pretty laughing at AMD whilst AMD toiled late at NIGHT in the lab...

Now all you see from these companies are reactions. 9900ks, the hot and bothered edition, their new HEDT cpu's which threadripper will crush..... Or super super super, even on non raytracing cards when the rtx balloon popped and deflated..... All of a sudden Intel and NV are slashing prices like it's a machete sequel.......

Remember, AMD is the David taking on two Goliaths in specific technological fields........ AMD is doing both cpu's and gpu's..... and they are now reaping some serious growth against the guys with lots of money, who do shady business to suppress them, gpp anyone, that YouTube fiasco which broke last week et.al...... AMD has done great against all those odds..... And they are about to grow larger than a beanstalk for the foreseeable future......

PhoenixTank

thelastword thelastword what YouTube fiasco? I'm not aware...
The unsubstantiated one related to product placement and coverage:
"source" reddit post is gone too.

Reallink

The growth you are citing won't be something you see overnight. Thats impossible in any industry.... Especially if you consider how behind AMD was and how paltry it's marketshare and mindshare was just under 2 years ago in both gpu and cpu circles, AMD had no presence in entire technology markets which it has now........

AMD is now leading the charge in many regions now, even diehard Intel folk can't deny AMD products now because it's better bang for your buck, which is what business is, doing the best thing for your bottom line...... AMD is now on the Apple, Amazon, Google, MS and Sony train...... They have amassed so many highscale partners and contracts in the last two years.... That's serious business growth.

You remember when Intel and NV had 95%+ marketshare, that is no more, but to think AMD would reverse monopolize NV and Intel overnight....Two much bigger companies in such a small space of time is really asking too much...
AMD however is growing fast, because Intel and NV were sitting pretty laughing at AMD whilst AMD toiled late at NIGHT in the lab...

Now all you see from these companies are reactions. 9900ks, the hot and bothered edition, their new HEDT cpu's which threadripper will crush..... Or super super super, even on non raytracing cards when the rtx balloon popped and deflated..... All of a sudden Intel and NV are slashing prices like it's a machete sequel.......

Remember, AMD is the David taking on two Goliaths in specific technological fields........ AMD is doing both cpu's and gpu's..... and they are now reaping some serious growth against the guys with lots of money, who do shady business to suppress them, gpp anyone, that YouTube fiasco which broke last week et.al...... AMD has done great against all those odds..... And they are about to grow larger than a beanstalk for the foreseeable future......

Right that was my point. As you noted AMD effectively didn't even exist in terms of marketshare, Intel and Nvidia have dominated 90%+ of sales. I would have figured the first full quarter of AMD finally having competitive products would have allowed them to sell quintuple+ what they have been in previous quarters. I see what you're saying about regaining mind share being a slow burn, but their sales were so abysmal it seems like their revenue gains should have been much higher.

llien

Well deserved.
A shame here is that it it to a large extent fueled by Intel's shortages and not the fact that AMD has rolled out superior product.

It is too early for EPYC 2 to make a difference, but I"m looking forward to see it's effects.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i tried to go with AMD but never worked out for me but that's beside the point. i'm just happy they are competitive. they are lighting a fire under Intel's ass.

i bought a 9900K after giving up on AMD's 3000 cpus but i really hope to have an AMD cpu in the future but it's gonna be a long time before this 9900K struggles with games.

Great Hair

Banned
The unsubstantiated one related to product placement and coverage:
"source" reddit post is gone too.

I think it was GamerNexus, talking about a CPU i think and having the MSI Evolve in full display on the table for 2 videos. Or Techdeals with his Intel sucking 24/7 "the fastest gaming cpu in the wooorld" bitching about AMD "AMD 350mill. per quarter vs Intel 2bill."

- one youtuber´s son is undergoing some bad illness. the day after he uses the kid´s face and his as a thumbnail with clickbait-title ... one day later, back to the same routine
- hardware unboxed, a buddy or brother passed away recently while on vacation. mourning latest 2 days prior starting uploading new content

Talking about crunching content. Cant be trusted, none of them.

PhoenixTank

I think it was GamerNexus, talking about a CPU i think and having the MSI Evolve in full display on the table for 2 videos. Or Techdeals with his Intel sucking 24/7 "the fastest gaming cpu in the wooorld" bitching about AMD "AMD 350mill. per quarter vs Intel 2bill."

- one youtuber´s son is undergoing some bad illness. the day after he uses the kid´s face and his as a thumbnail with clickbait-title ... one day later, back to the same routine
- hardware unboxed, a buddy or brother passed away recently while on vacation. mourning latest 2 days prior starting uploading new content

Talking about crunching content. Cant be trusted, none of them.
Apparently this needs to be posted again:

thelastword

Banned
thelastword thelastword what YouTube fiasco? I'm not aware...
Sorry for the late reply...…..I saw your question, but the last few days I've been swamped...

This video

Led to people opening up and revealing more info in this video....

Yet, it's not only one source or person revealing this thing.....I've been pretty vocal about it too.....Just .like these two videos below are pretty good at expounding on it as well...

Then this bonus video........if you want so see what some of these techtubers actually do during an Nvidia GPU review vs and AMD GPU review etc...

From the round-up, some of the reviewers are pretty blatant like OC3D. I think his review of the 5700 series was just awful, recommending more expensive cards with 4 RTX games where nobody sacrifices performance for said feature.....However, out of all the outlets Digital Foundry is the most blatant offender, running RTX Super BROLL footage/AD during their 5700 GPU review and also putting SUPER in the headline, having tonnes of NV cards visible in their AMD GPU review and not having enough AMD GPU''s tested vs Nvidia in their test runs.....No other outlet has pushed RTX more than DF either...….It's much too transparent.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom