• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Boss Teases chip to power PS5's "Secret Special Sauce"?

Would you like Sony to give you some Special Sauce?

• Total voters
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/amd-boss-teases-ps5s-special-sauce/1100-6466609/
One of the first things we learned is that the next-generation console will feature an AMD chip. AMD CEO Lisa Su recently discussed the company's partnership with Sony, saying the chip will help power the PlayStation 5's "special sauce."

"We are so honoured and proud to be part of Sony's next-generation PlayStation," Su told Jim Cramer. "This has been a really long-term partnership with them. We love gaming. We think gaming is a really good secular growth market. What we have done with Sony is really architect something for their application, for their special sauce. It's a great honor for us. We're really excited about what the next generation PlayStation will do. And happy to be a part of it."

Seems like Sony has given out some Special Sauce, but I'm not sure I want to know what that is. ;) One heck of a clean-up I bet.

giphy.gif

splattered

If DF laughed during their PS5 spec speculation/analysis video they obviously know details about both systems... Microsoft's will be stronger but maybe not by a huge margin and that's ok.

ethomaz

Banned
Sony is the only one to officially confirm theyre using Navi. MS will be apart of the conversation when they give AMD the greenlight to talk about it.
Just because Sony officially reveled it and MS still not.
So you are right... when MS give the greelight AMD will talk about Nextbox too.

Last edited:
Like moderator Shifty_Geezer noted on b3d:
Nothing in there particular about PS5's performance or features; only AMD's ability to work long term to create a semiconductor solution for Sony's product. Though phrased in a way that the fanboys can get all excited.

ethomaz

Banned
Like moderator Shifty_Geezer noted on b3d:
Nothing in there particular about PS5's performance or features; only AMD's ability to work long term to create a semiconductor solution for Sony's product. Though phrased in a way that the fanboys can get all excited.

AKA marketing buzz.

It was pretty clear what Lisa did here.

demigod

If DF laughed during their PS5 spec speculation/analysis video they obviously know details about both systems... Microsoft's will be stronger but maybe not by a huge margin and that's ok.

Nope, they laughed because they were bitter that they didn't get the interview. Why do you think they're claiming PS5 will only be 8TF.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'd argue that PS5 is playing the marketing exclusive game again. Trying to take hold of the narrative with Navi, Zen 2. It's either that or Microsoft thinks they are going to make a bigger splash by revealing specs at E3 2020. I believe that's a huge mistake. I think Microsoft, at E3 2019, needs to give us at least what Cerny did.

Last edited:

TeamGhobad

Banned
Sony is the only one to officially confirm theyre using Navi. MS will be apart of the conversation when they give AMD the greenlight to talk about it.

or does sony have exclusivity rights when it comes to navi since they funded the project.

Special sauces, shared experiences, dgpu’s....

Just give me a well designed balanced console, well made games, and keep your buzzwords to yourself.

You want me to get wood when you talk? Tell me how you plan to let me decide if I want 30 or 60 FPS modes that adjust resolution.

it doesn't say sony funded navi but it says they collaborated and that navi was built for sony.

Yeah, thats a different thing. I assume Sony collaborated with AMD for their PS4/Pro too.
It remains to be seen if Navi in pc/xbox will be much different but i doubt it. We will know more soon.

Buzzwords are to be expected though.

Dabaus

Banned
or does sony have exclusivity rights when it comes to navi since they funded the project.

All we have are rumors and heresay that sony helped with the development of navi. Thatd be quite the coup to have console exclusivity right to a gpu so i doubt it. I think its just xbox isnt ready to talk about things yet so their not apart of the conversation.

Edit: After reading the forbes article i dont know what to think.

Last edited:
Now, I wonder what that secret sauce may be, if it is significant at all.

Last time it was an ID buffer. Most aaa devs used their own superior implementations though.
It wouldnt suprise me if PS5s is some sort of ID buffer for 8k upscaling, even if not many will use it as 8k displays wont be even common by 2025. Maybe there wont be a 'pro' and want to future proof? A potentional PS5 Pro wont even be a native 8k machine.

I'd argue that PS5 is playing the marketing exclusive game again. Trying to take hold of the narrative with Navi, Zen 2. It's either that or Microsoft thinks they are going to make a bigger splash by revealing specs at E3 2020. I believe that's a huge mistake. I think Microsoft, at E3 2019, needs to give us at least what Cerny did.

Uh, the specs are going to be revealed next month, or at least some of them, not sure why you think we won't here of anything until 2020.

Sony basically revealed their PS5 general specs without mentioning the other custom specs

Top Bottom