• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD classifies Ariel (PS5 GPU) as RDNA 1 within its Open IP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravemind

Serious question. How is anyone being critical of Sony in this thread if the PS5 was confirmed to use RDNA2 instead of RDNA1?

I mean you can be critical on the teraflop count but you can't be critical of the PS5 being RDNA1. Claiming that the PS5 is RDNA1 just isn't true and it's just FUD at this point.

I think you need to learn the difference between being critical and spreading FUD.

Fine, call it FUD or whatever you want rather than being critical. It doesnt change the point of my post, which is that not everybody who has something bad to say about Sony is automatically an Xbox Fanboy, which is something thats causing a lot of threads to go to shit around here, on both sides.

Pretty sure if the OP was an Xbox Fanboy, he wouldnt be posting DualShock5 and PS5 concepts and fan art . I think it's probably more likely that he came across this information and believed it to be something new that would create some serious discussion around here. Its equally likely that he just misunderstood the data, as it is that hes a covert MS operative working with Timdog and Colbert to spread lies about the PS5.

THE:MILKMAN

Perhaps an old soc thing is in this particular instance I will choose to believe Cerny and Lisa and Sony's blog stating the PS5 gpu is RDNA2. Hell if I'm wrong and the people that helped engineer the PS5 gpu are all lying I will gladly fall on that sword. Still think title change is needed.
At any rate, after seeing the Sweeney demo I really dont care what RDNA it is, we are in for a real treat with both consoles.

Oh for sure PS5 is RDNA 2. That isn't even a question and the OP is way off base there. Just that Ariel being associated with PS5 has been a thing right from the beginning of rumours (hence it being an early code name).

Ar¢tos

Yeah, AMD seems to have a patent for their own implementation. What I mean is, VRS is a Microsoft tech, therefore the PS5 will obviously not have it, and saying this is because it's not RDNA 2 is FUD.
Sony has plenty of patents on Variable Data Compression (and other similar names) and Foveated Rendering that are basically the same thing as VRS, and since Sony is releasing PSVR2 sometime after the ps5, that will most likely support Foveated Rendering, it would be extremely stupid not to use the hw for Foveated rendering to do "VRS", since they share a lot of characteristics.

kuncol02

Banned
isn’t reaching 2.23 ghz stable an indicator of RDNA2? If this is true, and it’s custom RDNA1, or RDNA1+ (whatever), how big a difference overall is that from a true RDNA 2 GPU?

It seems difficult to discern what is true or not. Wasn’t a website running with “PS5 has RDNA 3 features” headline recently? Now it may in fact be RDNA1 with some custom features?

Guess we will hopefully get confirmation soon

You can overclock RDNA1 cards to that speed. There is only one problem. They take around 250W of power on that frequency. That actually would be in line with info about Sony having problems with cooling. Anyway I don't believe that Sony is using first gen RDNA in PS5.

Just that Ariel being associated with PS5 has been a thing right from the beginning of rumours (hence it being an early code name).

I can understand that but it doesn't mean the PS5s GPU is Ariel. Chips change over time so maybe at one point it was RDNA1 but now it's RDNA2.

I don't see why people are trying to criticize Sony for using RDNA1 when the chip is RDNA2. And that's confirmed by multiple official sources btw.

Here we go, its in the "Road to PS5" presentation where Cerny states that PS5 is "RDNA 2"

Its shown in the fucking slides 🙄

Psshh!

Slides are for losers!

giphy.gif

(im kidding)

Last edited:
According to this:

"The new findings are very interesting as Sparkman and Arden have ray tracing and variable rate shading mentioned, while Oberon and Ariel don't. If they are indeed related to the PlayStation 5 console, this means that Sony will not be using AMD technology for ray tracing and variable rate shading."

If Sony did shoehorn RT support because they had their pick of selections of RDNA2 features they can add on without increasing the complexity and price. But didn't pick Mesh shaders and VRS for some reason. Then OP would be right.

Why I don't hold any belief either way. It is interesting that they marketed RDNA 1 (Primitive Shaders, Geometry Engine) features rather than RDNA 2 features (Mesh shaders, VRS). Again I don't believe it but its an interesting thought process.
Github mainly showed uninteresting PS4 and Pro BC tests running on Ariel and Oberon, not next gen features. But that's not the subject. The subject is Ariel as described as RDNA1 by AMD. It's probably true.

But 2020 PS5 is another chip called Oberon. There are 2 steppings (models) of Ariel (usual for an APU). And there are 3 steppings for Oberon, which is unusual. For comparison there are only 2 steppings of Arden (XSX).
Ariel was allegedly the PS5 supposed to be released in 2019 (custom RDNA1 at about 8.5 tfops) but that plan was scrapped when they decided to release the PS5 in 2020 (custom RDNA2 at 10.3 tflops).

Last edited:
isn’t reaching 2.23 ghz stable an indicator of RDNA2? If this is true, and it’s custom RDNA1, or RDNA1+ (whatever), how big a difference overall is that from a true RDNA 2 GPU?

It seems difficult to discern what is true or not. Wasn’t a website running with “PS5 has RDNA 3 features” headline recently? Now it may in fact be RDNA1 with some custom features?

Guess we will hopefully get confirmation soon
“stable”

its not, hence the varying clocks and hence why the github tested at 9.2. 9.2 is indicative of the stable clocks

kuncol02

Banned
Here we go, its in the "Road to PS5" presentation where Cerny states that PS5 is "RDNA 2"

Its shown in the fucking slides 🙄
He said "RDNA 2 based GPU" not "RDNA 2 GPU". Maybe I am cynical, but when I hear something like this, I fell like someone want to hide something from me. There is question. What they decided to cut?
There actually was a lot of info like that. Including CPU and GPU speed. We still don't know what is their real performance, only top frequency, but only one of them will reach it in any given moment,

Gamernyc78

Banned
Yeah, AMD seems to have a patent for their own implementation. What I mean is, VRS is a Microsoft tech, therefore the PS5 will obviously not have it, and saying this is because it's not RDNA 2 is FUD.

Last Gen blow for blow Sony came out with better apis whenever Microsoft had their traditional ones. Ppl thought dx12 would move the world Sony came made their own apis which were as good or better. Not having a traditionally named software feature means shit in gaming as companies just make their own similar or better.

History has shown us companies have similar software features just named differently. Sony are big dogs when it comes to creating software features. That was seen and reinforced this whole Gen.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
He said "RDNA 2 based GPU" not "RDNA 2 GPU". Maybe I am cynical, but when I hear something like this, I fell like someone want to hide something from me. There is question. What they decided to cut?
There actually was a lot of info like that. Including CPU and GPU speed. We still don't know what is their real performance, only top frequency, but only one of them will reach it in any given moment,

It's because it's not an off-the-shelf part. It's customized, just like the XBX GPU surely is, too.

Aceofspades

Banned

You are cynical, Cerny is not trying to hide anything from you. The presentation was aimed at GDC developers, why would Cerny try to hide anything from them?

Fine, call it FUD or whatever you want rather than being critical. It doesnt change the point of my post, which is that not everybody who has something bad to say about Sony is automatically an Xbox Fanboy, which is something thats causing a lot of threads to go to shit around here, on both sides.

Pretty sure if the OP was an Xbox Fanboy, he wouldnt be posting DualShock5 and PS5 concepts and fan art . I think it's probably more likely that he came across this information and believed it to be something new that would create some serious discussion around here. Its equally likely that he just misunderstood the data, as it is that hes a covert MS operative working with Timdog and Colbert to spread lies about the PS5.

It seemed like there was a push to stop just throwing "fanboy" labels on people but I guess it is inevitable. I've been called an MS Mole, a "Team Green" member, "blind Xbox fanboy," etc, and I have owned an MS console for 7 total months in the last 7 total years.

The "line in the sand" gets a little annoying, to me anyway. Just my opinion, but I just don't think everything has to be about "picking a side." I can praise the XsX hardware and still be excited to pre-order a PS5 the second they go live.

Sometimes it feels like there is some rush to judge someone or something if it is deemed "anti-YourPlatformOfChoice." People love to just bring up Uber Elite Discord Groups of Evil like those dorks from Era really are gonna be any sort of credible threat to Sony whatsoever.

Who the fuck cares if people have discord groups, you think Sony fans don't have discord groups too? It seems like trying to portray some international conspiracy to harpoon the PS5 is just as much FUD as the crap that fanatical anti-Sony people spread themselves. I see the issues on both sides. Maybe I am wrong, but it's just how I perceive what's going on lately.

I am really looking forward to the day when FUD and "SECRETZ DISCORDZ EVIL LAIRZ" aren't plastered over every console related thread and the warring dies down.

As for this OP, I am trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. I think he just made a poor assumption based on the Ariel slip up. Maybe he is just posting to stir shit up, who knows, but his history clearly doesn't look "Timdog Army" ish or whatever.

Last edited:

Rikkori

A lot of ppl losing their minds & starting to sound like some dumb ass YT conspiracy theorists. And funniest thing, it's not even over actual hardware & features but instead... a name? LIke, I don't see all the ppl talking about it being RDNA 1 talking about like you don't get all the features you'd get in RDNA 2, - HW RT, Mesh Shaders, VRS etc.

So if it's "RDNA 1" but with all the important features present, then what difference would it even make?? :lollipop_flores:

sendit

Oh boy, so now it’s a war thread? Why are we acting like this was some “Team Green” joint effort?

Homeboy in the OP posted his interpretation of some data. Seems like most people who have replied (including myself) are questioning the validity of it all, especially the key detail of Ariel not actually being the PS5 GPU.

And bro, you can’t quote something from XsX meme thread because for every post in that thread there is an opposite equivalent in the Next Gen thread.

this Daniel Dude always posts PS5 and DualSense concept art. I’m pretty sure he’s not a member of the Discord of Evil.

Like I said before, OP needs to prove that Ariel is in fact the PS5 GPU (which it isn’t, as far as I know) before anything else should be taken seriously

Why does the OP need to prove anything? When as an individual, you can fact check him yourself: LMGTFY

If for some miracle the OP does figure this mystery out (not really a mystery when Sony in plain English has RDNA2 spelled out here). What will it change?

Will Unreal Engine 5 tech demo cease to exist on the PS5?

Last edited:
I honestly don’t know who or what to believe any more.

cearny, Lisa, Phil and Xbox fan boys can all go hell to for all I care.
I want all my next gen info coming from my dog from now.

If its based on RDNA 2 then its not RDNA 1 is it

but only one of them will reach it in any given moment

Wrong

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
It's because it's not an off-the-shelf part. It's customized, just like the XBX GPU surely is, too.
MS clearly stated, that Series X have RDNA2 GPU, not ""RDNA2 based GPU"

You are cynical, Cerny is not trying to hide anything from you. The presentation was aimed at GDC developers, why would Cerny try to hide anything from them?
There is your mistake. Cerny is salesman first and he is trying to sell PS5 to developers and players. It's obvious that in presentation like that he would omit information which would make his console look worse than competition.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

So what? They're a different company and use different language. Let me know when AMD refers to both systems using clearly different language in the same statement.

Gamernyc78

Banned

There is your mistake. Cerny is salesman first and he is trying to sell PS5 to developers and players. It's obvious that in presentation like that he would omit information which would make his console look worse than competition.

Your trying to hard pimp. Shit is RDNA 2, get over it. And even if it wasnt at this point with what we know of ps5 no one cares 😊

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

This makes no sense. People have been saying that current gen consoles are Jaguar based CPU's, that doesn't mean they're not saying the CPU is not Jaguar based.

RDNA 2 GPU and RDNA 2 based GPU are the same thing.

It's RDNA2, Cerny talked about RDNA2 CU's and even showed a comparison in size between them and the ones from last gen, GET OVER IT!!!

People desperately trying to confuse the issue "RDNA2 based" sorry that means it's RDNA2, you don't have an RDNA1 set up based in RDAN2 lol. The official documentation information given on the website says RDNA2 etc. Why are some people so freaking desparate?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom