• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) launches June 22nd

llien

TLDW; (trigger warning for green users: what they said about DLSS might hurt your feelings)

Timing: much earlier than expected (June instead end of the year)
Quality target: should handily beat 1.0 (which is essentially "don't be worse than simply downscaling") but likely below 2.0
They also expect the gap to be smaller at higher resolution.
DEV feedback: FSR is much easier to implement (well, naturally, as it does not need motion vectors)

They expect to get hands on it prior to release on 22nd of June.

Last edited:
Speculations by the known types, for those who like em:

Thank you stranger, for:
1) not getting it
2) posting meaningless wall of text

Much appreciated.

That meaningless wall of text is exactly how DLSS 1.0 and 2.0 work. But you do you boo. I am done with this FUD discussion.

RoyBatty

Banned
TLDW; (trigger warning for green users: what they said about DLSS might hurt your feelings)

Timing: much earlier than expected (June instead end of the year)
Quality target: should handily beat 1.0 (which is essentially "don't be worse than simply downscaling") but likely below 2.0
They also expect the gap to be smaller at higher resolution.
DEV feedback: FSR is much easier to implement (well, naturally, as it does not need motion vectors)

They expect to get hands on it prior to release on 22nd of June.

Expected, I'll wait and see how it comes.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
I went ahead and listened to the entire video as opposed to seeing the thumbnail and automatically acuse HUB of bias.

ps: Its grounded, logical, and on the same critical tone as the great majority of the tech press (except for Linus, who drank a green soda before the video).

Some of you here criticizing without watching, you must be the pride of your parents. Such accuracy, common sense and education.

Amiga

the FSR demo on the 6800 was clearly better than the one on the GTX 1060 some here are pointing out. later AMD said the 1060 demo was proof it works on other cards and optimization is up to GeForce.

Last edited:

Dampf

the FSR demo on the 6800 was clearly better than the one on the GTX 1060 some here are pointing out. later AMD said the 1060 demo was proof it works on other cards and optimization is up to GeForce.
It doesn't likely look better because of the card, but because at 4K, the input resolution for FSR is much higher. And most people have 1440p/1080p screens instead of 4K so differences are more subtle and harder to spot.

Last edited:

Amiga

It doesn't likely look better because of the card, but because at 4K, the input resolution for FSR is much higher. And most people have 1440p/1080p screens instead of 4K so differences are more subtle and harder to spot.
I noticed on my 1080p laptop.

i really hope this is good. DLSS is a big reason i won't buy an AMD card. if this ends up just as good as DLSS then that's one less reason to go with Nvidia and put up with their bullshit.

ShadyJ

HWU is amd and msi shills
GN is elitist anti-populists

probably they will give this a good pass, cause it is free. 🤷‍♀️
I've never read a more objectively retarded comment in my life. Hardware unboxed trashed AMD cards before the 6000 series. FSR is a step in the right direction to."open" technology similar to DLSS just as Freesync gave users the ability to bypass the "GeForce" tax. All i can gather from your shitty take is that you yourself are an NVIDIA shill.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Quite a list of titles that will soon support FSR:

This will give a a lot of insight about the tech, its performance and end results.

Mister Wolf

This will give a a lot of insight about the tech, its performance and end results.

Is it intentional that not a single one of those games supports DLSS?

MaKTaiL

With Far Cry 6 supporting it does it mean we might be seeing it already implemented on PS5/Xbox Series to offer better resolution/fps results?

Mister Wolf

if i remeber well edge of eterny support dlss , no ?

Nice catch. That's how much that game is under the radar to me. Hopefully the tech channels know this as well. I would expect them to implement this for games like Cyberpunk, Metro Exodus Enhanced, Control, Flight Simulator, etc. Games that actually need help with performance headroom.

Last edited:

llien

A better source on 7 games that support FSR at launch:

AMD-FidelityFXSS-Support-Games.png
AMD-FidelityFXSS-Support-Studios-2.png

Andodalf

Banned
With Far Cry 6 supporting it does it mean we might be seeing it already implemented on PS5/Xbox Series to offer better resolution/fps results?

Totally depends on the devs. With this being a cross gen title they may not deem it necessary, expect maybe on SS

Irobot82

A better source on 7 games that support FSR at launch:

AMD-FidelityFXSS-Support-Games.png
AMD-FidelityFXSS-Support-Studios-2.png
Not having Epic on that list is a sad loss. Most games are Unreal.

Rikkori

Wow, that is even weaker than the piss poor quality of FSR they've already shown. So they fail not only on the quality of the solution but also on adoption. Incredible stuff from AMD.

perkelson

So its like DLSS 1.0 which got shitted on by Hardware Unboxed and Gamer's Nexus. We will see if they keep the same energy.

No it isn't. DLSS got rightfully shit on because it didn't pretty much do anything other than give you about the same effect as lowering res in game.

Moreover it was more about marketing not about technology itself. Nvidia claimed all sorts of things which didn't pan out in the end.

Even DLSS2.0 also has marketing issues which were pointed out as nvidia claimed "better than native" image or other bullshit like that ignoring that this was like case for one game and doesn't count all problems it creates.

For example Cyberpunk2077 implementation is janky as hell. DLSS loves still games like Death Stranding but when action happens it produces errors.

Imho whole thing should be only about increasing FPS not about trying to keep quality. For me far more important than image quality is framerate. IF AMD can give me 3 times boost to framerate at cost of say 30% image quality i will take it any time any day. It would mean i could for example play X4 game at 120fps instead of 40-50ish on pc.

I don't give a shit, that was more than a year ago. Furthermore where's all the heavy hitters? CDPR didn't even pledge, and all they have to show is a bunch of games you don't even need it for bar 2-3.

Have you seen last time prices of PCs ? Most of people who buy stuff now are buying literally GTX750 at best because anything about that is prohibitively expensive. PCs with GTX1060 cost like 3-4 times as they were previously.

So for those folks it means going from 30ish fps to stable 60fps.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

I remember when hardware unboxed did that awful video challenging battlenonsene's video saying that capping your framerate to reduce gpu load would actually decrease your input latancy. They had their own video with shoddy testing saying their results were the opposite only for nvidia later to come out with nvidia reflex which keeps your gpu useage below max to decrease input lag.

Last edited:
No it isn't. DLSS got rightfully shit on because it didn't pretty much do anything other than give you about the same effect as lowering res in game.

Moreover it was more about marketing not about technology itself. Nvidia claimed all sorts of things which didn't pan out in the end.

Even DLSS2.0 also has marketing issues which were pointed out as nvidia claimed "better than native" image or other bullshit like that ignoring that this was like case for one game and doesn't count all problems it creates.

For example Cyberpunk2077 implementation is janky as hell. DLSS loves still games like Death Stranding but when action happens it produces errors.

Imho whole thing should be only about increasing FPS not about trying to keep quality. For me far more important than image quality is framerate. IF AMD can give me 3 times boost to framerate at cost of say 30% image quality i will take it any time any day. It would mean i could for example play X4 game at 120fps instead of 40-50ish on pc.

Cyberpunk 2077 was a very poor implementation that users had to fix.

AMD's solution currently is trash with some pasts of the image looking good with some parts looking trash and that was from their presentation. I'd rather just not use it if that issue isnt fixed.

FingerBang

I'm watching the Hardware Unboxed one and so far it's clear that when it comes to visual quality:

4K - Fantastic, for Ultra Quality and Quality, good Balanced/Performance

1440p - Good Ultra Quality, okay quality, bad performance

1080p - Bad

Edit: the fps gains with no quality loss at 4k are awesome, decent at 1440p. This is fantastic, especially considering most gamers will be able to take advantage of it.

Last edited:
Ultra Quality ones looked really closer to Native 4K. Like Steve says the biggest downside to FSR is its current short game list. Otherwise, it is doing what it intended to do from the start in conception, give higher FPS in games with comparably indistinguishable resolutions to native at higher FSR settings.

Top Bottom