• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Next Horizon Gaming Conference |OT| The One True Winner of E3

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
ORMwtIQ.png

Welcome NeoGAF to the AMD Next Horizon Gaming event viewing and discussion thread

t1560204000z4.png

What to expect:
This conference will probably mostly be technical details about the next-generation AMD products. We may get some more technical details about the chips powering Xbox Scarlett as well as next generation PCs.

Where to watch:

Have fun

siPhjjP.gif

gpu-2.gif

Go red team!

giphy.gif

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
AMD will actually disappoint a lot of people.

If these GPUs and CPUs don't deliver twice the performance for half the price, it becomes a failure.

Pretty sad.

somerset

An historic day, and something many youngsters haven't witnessed, because of the painful slowdown in process tech.

When I got into the PC (33MHz 486 - the *first* decent x86 chip that finally added FPU support on the die), process tech was burning hot. CPUs had just gotten *passive* cooling. And with the 486, the rapidly improvement in every metric of the CPU was about to go crazy. Shrink and improve, shrink and improve, shrink and improve. No longer. Now every true shrink is a rare incredible event, as we grind our way to the last ever shrink.

AMD is going 7nm and 7nm (CPU and GPU). Way, way ahead of Intel (whose own process tech is now an official *bust*, but that hardly matters since it is now known their CPU architecture is utterly *broken* and should be used by no-one). Ahead of Nvidia, cos Nvidia is taking the greatest risk in its corporate history (good for them) and betting the farm on EUV at Samsung (Samsung has *never* beaten TSMC - but things change).

Zen is the first exciting thing to happen to CPUs since Intel's 'core' (but now we know core was only 'good' cos core was *broken* and had zero thread security).

Navi is the beginning of the culmination of AMD's work into fundamental efficiency in their GPUs, something Nvidia conquered with Pascal a few gens back. AMD is drawing at least level (and likely ahead for a moment, techwise, until Nvidia gets its 7nm) with Nvidia (tho actual performance depends on their die size, of course). But Navi is also revolutionising the new consoles.

Indeed Zen and Navi have biggest impact on consoles, since PC gamers could always power up via very high spends to compensate. Although on the PC side AMD is making better performance way more affordable, even if current AMD affordable maximal performance doesn't beat yesterday's mega expensive solutions from Intel (pre-mitigations) + Nvidia.

In other words 7nm is bringing the sea change other major shrinks brought in the early days on a far more frequent schedule.

And future shrinks? Don't hold your breath. Your lifetime may see only *two* more true shrinks.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

The presentation starts on Monday, June 10 at 3 p.m. PT in Los Angeles. It will also be broadcast live on AMD’s YouTube page for those not at the event.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
ORMwtIQ.png

Welcome NeoGAF to the AMD Next Horizon Gaming event viewing and discussion thread

t1560207600z4.png

What to expect:
This conference will probably mostly be technical details about the next-generation AMD products. We may get some more technical details about the chips powering Xbox Scarlett as well as next generation PCs.

Where to watch:

Have fun

You need to double check the time.

Join the Live Webcast
June 10, 2019
3PM PDT
AMD YouTube | AMD Facebook

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Thanks for the heads up, timer has been updated.

thelastword

Banned
I'll be there to see AMD Ryzen reach 5GHz with such huge gains in IPC combined, this should be momentous.....I'm also there to see Navi with only 40CU's kicking ass and taking names...…..Remember, Polaris was only 36 CU's......Better performance over RTX 2070 with only 4CU's more, speaks a lot to the IPC/architectural gains they made with Navi......Can't wait....

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'll be there to see AMD Ryzen reach 5GHz with such huge gains in IPC combined, this should be momentous.....I'm also there to see Navi with only 40CU's kicking ass and taking names...…..Remember, Polaris was only 36 CU's......Better performance over RTX 2070 with only 4CU's more, speaks a lot to the IPC/architectural gains they made with Navi......Can't wait....
Well the 3pm PST start time is clearly bullshit

jshackles

Well the 3pm PST start time is clearly bullshit
3PM Pacific Time is still several hours away. It's currently 11:41am PST. This is coming on after the Ubisoft conference, but before Kinda Funny or Square Enix.

thelastword

Banned
AMD will actually disappoint a lot of people.

If these GPUs and CPUs don't deliver twice the performance for half the price, it becomes a failure.

Pretty sad.
If people expect twice the performance for half the price vs NVIDIA/INTEL...People really deserve the anal assault they get by said companies with their prices to performance ratios......AMD is no charity......Yet, I've never seen them offer a product that was not well balanced price to perf......

jshackles

True true winners of E3, for sure

Vlaphor

I am ready for this. I've been rocking my 4790k for around four years and I've been wanting to upgrade.

I'll still wait for benchmarks, but AMD's offering is looking good.

Last edited:

jshackles

Next Generation Playstation talk

But we confirm nor deny nothing

Same for Xbox Scarlett, nothing

Last edited:

clem84

Gold Member
And future shrinks? Don't hold your breath. Your lifetime may see only *two* more true shrinks.

What will chip makers do to improve their chips then? Will we be getting minuscule improvements year after year starting soon?

jshackles

They really need to mic that crowd. Take a hint from Bethesda's playbook.

LordOfChaos

What will chip makers do to improve their chips then? Will we be getting minuscule improvements year after year starting soon?

Something post-silicon. How many years on stagnant silicon before that is the question.

Last edited:
Top Bottom