• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Q4 2015 Earnings Call Suggests Multiple New Consoles Launching This Year.

ekim

In our EESC segment, we had record shipments of our semi-custom SoCs powering the Playstation 4 and Xbox One game consoles.

Demand for game consoles looks strong for 2016 and we remain on track to generate additional revenue from new semi-custom business in the second half of 2016.

Game consoles -- we see units going up 2016 to 2015. We've also said in the enterprise embedded and semi-custom segment that we will be ramping some new design revenue in the second half of 2016.

We have new products being introduced in both the businesses with the new design wins in the second half on the semi-custom side.

Via reddit

You can find the transcript here:
http://quarterlyearnings.amd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=74093&p=quarterlyearnings

direct link to pdf download:
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9MjgwMjQ3fENoaWxkSUQ9LTF8VHlwZT0z&t=1

GHG

Gold Member
No smoke without fire.

Somethings happening. This E3 could be very interesting. This place will implode if we end up with 3 new consoles being revealed.

Dahaka

NX, PS4k and the new Xbox this holiday season. Believe it!

and it'll be damn good

giphy.gif

Syriel

No smoke without fire.

Somethings happening. This E3 could be very interesting. This place will implode if we end up with 3 new consoles being revealed.

Sounds like slim model launches, possibly with HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 and 4k video out added.

Would honestly be shocked if either MS or Sony released a x.5 model upgrade.

Adding 4k video out is more like when the 360 was revised with HDMI out. Technically a new model, but the core didn't change.

I wouldn't necessarily conclude it's only consoles - AMD did say one of their design wins for 2016 wouldn't be a console but a multipurpose device.

It's also rumoured that one of their semi-custom designs will be for Apple, integrating a Zen-based CPU with a powerful GPU for the iMac.

spons

Gold Member
Any reason why AMD doesn't just release versions of their console APUs in the wild as PC processors? I could imagine memory bandwidth being a problem, but Intel packs some 128 MB in their CPUs for that.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
NX, PS4k and the new Xbox this holiday season. Believe it!
Xbox is doubtful though, Phil said he wouldn't do incremental upgrades... Unless it's a true successor to Xbox One, like a whole generational leap, but that'd be too soon.

Yup definitely some hardware revisions coming down the line.

Personally with the PS4, I hope it is mainly concerned with PSVR and not some massive jump on hardware capabilities.

I'm slowly getting into the idea of console upgrades but still more wary than anything.

leroidys

Xbox is doubtful though, Phil said he wouldn't do incremental upgrades... Unless it's a true successor to Xbox One, like a whole generational leap, but that'd be too soon.
This could just be a smart PR move.

"Coming this fall, the Xbox Two. Twice as powerful, and plays all of your Xbox games. MSRP $299." Then all Xbox Two games run on the One as well.

THE:MILKMAN

Sounds like slim model launches, possibly with HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 and 4k video out added.

Would honestly be shocked if either MS or Sony released a x.5 model upgrade.

Adding 4k video out is more like when the 360 was revised with HDMI out. Technically a new model, but the core didn't change.

It depends how AMD define a new design win.

I still think 2017 is more realistic for PS4K just because of the logistics involved in getting what will effectively be a new console up to speed on the production line.

Also Sony have the PSVR to worry about too.

I find this part interesting from Lisa Su near the end of the transcript:

So I think there are opportunities to do custom implementations of GPU for virtual reality. I think the amount of graphics horsepower that's required
and perhaps some of the form factors that you want to go into being smaller and more portable would enable you to do that.
I think it's early to talk specifics, but I think that the general idea that VR has a lot of requirements and doing something custom might be helpful
I think is absolutely on the mark.

Wonder who she is hinting about here?

JordanKZ

I believe AMD has new APU's just on the horizon, but I seriously doubt Nintendo would use off the shelf tech for NX. Unless NX is literally just a console and not a handheld. The power requirements from the non-mobile APU's are out of the question for handhelds.

ekim

Any reason why AMD doesn't just release versions of their console APUs in the wild as PC processors? I could imagine memory bandwidth being a problem, but Intel packs some 128 MB in their CPUs for that.

Wouldn't be semi custom.

Apple. Also smaller devices, think Intel NUC, BRIX and others. They certainly seem to be fairly popular. These use Intel Iris (Pro), which come with "L4" cache.

But that's a market already being well served. Profit margins must be razor thin too, and ultimately the focus is more on fast CPU with okay GPU. These AMD parts are slow CPU with fast GPU.

Abounder

Banned
I reckon there will be a new generation of consoles, no way will Sony or Microsoft miss the opportunity to be your Virtual Reality dealer. VR really needs a significant upgrade to justify the cost and future proofing for 3+ years. This is less about 4k and more about VR especially for MS

I wouldn't necessarily conclude it's only consoles - AMD did say one of their design wins for 2016 wouldn't be a console but a multipurpose device.

Multipurpose device you say...Nintendo QoL?!

Top Bottom