• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Radeon RX6800/RX6800XT Reviews/Benchmarks Thread |OT|

Welcome to the official thread for independent 3rd party reviews/benchmarks for the AMD Radeon RX6000 series of GPUs.

Offical Site/Specs/Details

Launch Date:
18th of November 2020 (today)

Price:
Radeon RX6800 - $579
Radeon RX6800XT - $649

When:
The review embargo lifts today at 3:00pm Central European Time (10 minutes from now).

Reviews:

Linus Tech Tips

Hardware Unboxed

Gamer's Nexus

JayZTwoCents

Coreteks

Paul's Hardware

Ultrawide 1440p Benchmarks from Wccftech:

So to sum up the general consensus and performance for RX6800XT vs RTX3080:

General Info From Reviews:

• 1080p/1440p - 6800XT has 3-5% better performance on average than 3080
  • 4K - 3080 has 3-5% better performance on average than 6800XT
  • Reference Fan Design - Both seem to run cool and quiet, essentially a draw?
  • Performance per watt - 6800XT pulls ahead of 3080
  • Performance per $ - 6800XT pulls ahead of 3080
  • Power Draw - 6800XT draws less power than 3080
  • Ray Tracing (Hybrid Rendering) - 3080 pulls significantly ahead in most titles.
  • Ray Tracing (Path Tracing) - 3080 pulls way ahead. (Minecraft and Quake DXR are the only PT titles at the moment)
  • Ray Tracing DLSS - 3080 Pulls even further ahead, but AMD's Super Resolution is not available yet to compare.
  • Productivity Performance (Blender etc..) - 3080 still maintains its general lead in most cases due to the massive CUDA advantage.
In addition to the above, 6900XT is $50 cheaper at $649 and has 16GB RAM vs 10GB RAM for 3080.

All in all I would say a pretty good showing from AMD aside from the low RT performance vs 3080 and the lack of FidelityFX Super Resolution being ready. I did expect the RT performance to be maybe 5% higher personally but overall seems to mostly match or exceed 2080ti (without DLSS).

On the topic of Ray Tracing on 6000 series cards the performance could potentially improve a bit (still won't match Ampere though) due to the following:

• Almost all current RT enabled games are optimized for Nvidia's cards. (AMD didn't even have RT capable cards till now)
  • Nvidia worked closely with MS to design the DXR 1.0 API spec/functionality. This was designed towards Nvidia's RT hardware/solution. AMD worked closely with MS for DXR 1.1 which offers new features which can be optimized towards AMD's RT hardware solution. I believe DIRT and Godfall are the only DXR 1.1 capable games so it is still early days yet.
  • Console ports will be optimized towards AMD's RT solution 90% of the time. (See Watch Dogs: Legion RT perf)
  • Improved driver maturity (FineWine tm) /developer familiarity with AMD's RT hardware/DXR 1.1

Having said all of that, they will still likely fall far behind Ampere's RT solution this generation so I'm not making excuses for them or jumping on the "wait for X!" bandwagon. If RT is important to you and if you want the best RT performance available then you should definitely go with Nvidia this generation, simple as that. I just figured it would be interesting to take the above bullet points into account as a possible area where AMD might gain a little ground this gen regarding RT performance.

Last edited:

Md Ray

Thanks. Can't wait.

I'm particularly more excited and looking forward to seeing the 6800 XT, the 72 CU part's perf, and its avg. clock speed as it's a chip with exactly 2x CUs, ROPs count, TMUs of the PS5's graphics processor.

EDIT:
Wow, so 72 CUs clocked at 2340-2355 MHz frequency at stock according to GN. More than advertised boost clock. Not bad.

Last edited:
5 minutes to go boys and girls. This one will be interesting.

popcorn_yes.gif

regawdless

Banned
Here we go. Let's show those console peasants how a real war looks like. Screw SSDs and 10 vs 12 tFlops. Bring on RTX, Infinity Cache, DLSS, boost clocks, Rage modes and whatever.

Bring it on.

/s

MadYarpen

RX 6800 reference model priced the same as 3070 MSI Gaming X trio, cheaper than asus Strix for example. Much more expensive than the prices they were anounced for, obviously.

They are close enough to choose what someone prefers / is available.

Last edited:

Rikkori

RX 6800 reference model priced the same as 3070 MSI Gaming X trio, cheaper than asus Strix for example. Much more expensive than the prices they were anounced for, obviously.

They are close enough to choose what someone prefers / is available.
Keep in mind a 6800 is significantly faster AND has double vram + AMD FineWine™ technology. The 3070 is a POS at those prices LOL! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

MadYarpen

Keep in mind a 6800 is significantly faster AND has double vram + AMD FineWine™ technology. The 3070 is a POS at those prices LOL! :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Well they are already sold out;)

Anyway, there is something wrong with the prices as in that shop XT was 300 PLN more expensive, which is like 65 eur.

Antitype

Dunno how widespread it is, but here in France, the 6800XT was even more expensive than the 3080.. by at least 50€. At that price it's an awful deal. Some 6800 were even listed at the same price as a 3080 FE (or low tier ref). Those were initial prices before they started scalping like mofos (900€+ now lol).

That launch was just as bad as Nvidia's. Talk about it not being a paper launch.

Orta

Banned
There are 6800xt's on ebay now, bids are topping $3000.

Ridiculous.

Edit: make that $9000. Looks like the scalpers are being trolled :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:
  • Triggered
Reactions: GHG

Rikkori

Well they are already sold out;)

Anyway, there is something wrong with the prices as in that shop XT was 300 PLN more expensive, which is like 65 eur.
Yes, also in EE, I got it for 670 euros, but cheapest 3070 was going for 780 euros so I'm still HAPPY AS FUCK! :D :D :D

regawdless

Banned
Trading blows with the 3080 without RTX, but the 3080 is still slightly ahead generally. That raytracing performance is worse than I expected though, it's so far off AND no DLSS alternative (yet) to counter it.

Very good showing by AMD, especially those high clocks and temperatures are great. But for only 50 bucks less than a 3080 FE, the severely lacking raytracing performance really hurts.

Mister Wolf

Just watched the GN review.

So the 6800XT trades blows with the 3080 up until 4k, at which point the 3080 is ahead. Then once you turn on RT the 3080 shits all over the 6800XT, especially if DLSS is brought in as well.

All I needed to read to know not to get one. With cards this powerful playing at 1440p is like playing at 1080p. If you're gaming on a big screen you will atleast want 70-100% of 4K. 1800p becomes your minimum.

Rikkori

HANG THE FUCK ON

Just managed to put in an order for a single remaining 6800 XT that kept re-appearing in the shop :O :O :O

dave_d

Who was the guy that lost the $10 bet? You know, where he said it wouldn't be a paper launch and he'd gladly take the other guy's money?

There is basically no stock.
1200 units to the whole world.

I can belive that - I tried to order one today from one of biggest shop in Poland - apparently they had 1 pc of 6800XT and 16? 6800 :D

But after seeing those results back to waiting for 3080 :D

Last edited:

Antitype

Trading blows with the 3080 without RTX, but the 3080 is still slightly ahead generally. That raytracing performance is worse than I expected though, it's so far off AND no DLSS alternative (yet) to counter it.

Very good showing by AMD, especially those high clocks and temperatures are great. But for only 50 bucks less than a 3080 FE, the severely lacking raytracing performance really hurts.

Raster wise it's indeed a very good showing (especially at 1440p). They're definitely back in the high end game. BUT.. I'm sorry to say but that kind of performance with RT is just not enough. It's basically useless at 1440p (look at those Control fps). It's a repeat of Turing and there's a reason RT was so decried back then, nobody buys high end GPUs to play at 1080p60fps. Even if their Super Resolution ends up being a good perf uplift it will be barely playable at 1440p.

Top Bottom