• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Radeon VII Announced

Caayn

R7_Car2_678x452.jpg
R7_Bundle_575px.jpg
R7_Bench_575px.jpg
R7_Perf_575px.jpg

Source: https://www.anandtech.com/show/13832/amd-radeon-vii-high-end-7nm-february-7th-for-699

Last edited:

Leonidas

VII not VIII.

2017 performance(1080 Ti) at the 2017 price while using more power. Those who picked up 1080 Ti's last year for $600 got a steal(compared to this). Doubly so if they have adaptive-sync monitors.

Looks like we're back at "wait for Navi".

Last edited:
Hooo wee that's nice. I'd say overpriced but the 2080ti is almost double this with less memory.

You'd expect a bigger lead on 2080 I guess but still not bad.

Wait the 2080 is still more than this? Than how can this card be anything but a win?

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Well, I'll stick to my AUROS 1080Ti thank you very much. And now that we know the price for Radeon VII, I highly doubt that 9900K analogue from AMD will have very attractive and competitive price.

CuNi

DOA. It's only 100$ less than a 2080 and without any of it's RTX features. NVidia would be smart if they either drop 2080 price's by just 50$ and instantly kill VII or if they release those rumored GTX version which should be in the same ballpark when it comes to pricing but way better perf/$ ratio. Cmon AMD.. you had a chance here.... we really hoped you could do it THIS time..

Yes ? It's 7nm processor. It should be as powerful . The price for the card is premium as well
Yeah, it's priced exactly the same as Nvidia's highest level what I would call consumer card and performs the same if not better. The Titan level line is a science experiment for people with too much money so I think they did just fine.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
VII not VIII.

2017 performance(1080 Ti) at the 2017 price while using more power. Those who picked up 1080 Ti's last year for $600 got a steal(compared to this).

Still, thats the targeted price. Prices will drop as AMD is more about price-perf. 7nm also means OCing this thing is a viable option. 16 GB is a heritage to what this GPU is based from, the professional grade Radeon Instinct.

I think its a good card, but that wattage may be crucial.
Is this good?
Relatively, yes. It is set to target RTX 2080 (Not Ti) Which feels similar to their previous outing which targeted GTX 1080 non-Ti.

16 GB of memory is a big bonus if it can use this.

//DEVIL//

Yeah, it's priced exactly the same as Nvidia's highest level what I would call consumer card and performs the same if not better. The Titan level line is a science experiment for people with too much money so I think they did just fine.
I think k was semi joking. The card is almost half the price of a 2080ti . And cheaper than the 2080 if I am not mistaken they are good

DOA. It's only 100$ less than a 2080 and without any of it's RTX features. NVidia would be smart if they either drop 2080 price's by just 50$ and instantly kill VII or if they release those rumored GTX version which should be in the same ballpark when it comes to pricing but way better perf/$ ratio. Cmon AMD.. you had a chance here.... we really hoped you could do it THIS time..
Oh boy nicer puddles at 1/4th the resolution and more expensive gg AMD

Leonidas

Were you expecting them to go after Nvidia's "Titan" (2080 Ti)?

I was expecting better price/performance than 1080 Ti at launch.

VII is worse value than 1080 Ti(two years later at same cost, price for same performance should go down by a lot in 2 years, and it's 7nm compared to 16nm). If this card came out at the same time 1080 Ti came out(two years ago) it would have only matched 1080 Ti(but used more power).

Today it is the worst GPU launch since RX 590 and is made maybe the worst high end GPU launch in history. Fury X came close to 980 Ti at launch and they came out at the same time. Vega 64 matched an over one year old Nvidia GPU on launch at the same price and now VII matches a two year old GPU for the same price.

Last edited:
why market this as a gaming card and then sell it with 16gigs of HBM? this is clearly a prosumer card and much too expensive for what it's offering for gamers.

Last edited:

CuNi

Oh boy nicer puddles at 1/4th the resolution and more expensive gg AMD

So what you try to say is, it is a total steal at only 100$ less and a way higher power usage.. wow

You didn't even take the time or effort to come up with any argument for this card.
If, like I said, nvidia drops GTX 2080 by just 50 Bucks, then people will easily take the 2080 over the VII. And if nvidia ends up releasing non RTX cards, they would easily blow VII out of the water as well. Probably around 699$ if not even less without all the RTX stuff in there, even lower power usage and probably even more raw power as they can increase clocks since RTX stuff won't be on the same die and produce heat.

Last edited:

Leonidas

7nm also means OCing this thing is a viable option.

Could be but it's probably not, look at RX Vega 64, RX 590, RX 580, Fury X, Radeon 290X. All pushed to their limit with no headroom, this is probably the same especially since they posted the slide of 25% more performance at the same power. It's probably already close to the max like the aforementioned cards, we'll find out next month...

So what you try to say is, it is a total steal at only 100$ less and a way higher power usage.. wow
No I would never pay this much for ANY graphics card. I consider pc gamers half whales tbh. There is a good chance ps5 will be AS powerful, and its a complete machine for less money.

But it is a noticeably better deal than nvidia, so I don't see why you'd choose nvidia unless you're a corporate slave.

Leonidas

Funny, this is exactly how I feel about the 2080.

I put some value on ray-tracing and DLSS so I can't say I feel the same...

And if it's like AMD previous high end cards there is no overclocking headroom giving Nvidia cards a bit more value in that way as well..

Last edited:

CuNi

No I would never pay this much for ANY graphics card. I consider pc gamers half whales tbh. There is a good chance ps5 will be AS powerful, and its a complete machine for less money.

But it is a noticeably better deal than nvidia, so I don't see why you'd choose nvidia unless you're a corporate slave.

How is just 100$ but way more power consumption a "noticeably better deal"?
And if PS5 releases mid or late into next year and only delivers 13 TFlops, SonyGAF will literally melt as nearly all of them expect at least 15 TFlops

And if PS5 releases mid or late into next year and only delivers 13 TFlops, SonyGAF will literally melt as nearly all of them expect at least 15 TFlops
Just $100? So yeah, whale or fanboy you tell me lol.

13 TF for the ps5 will be great! That's over double the X1X and look at what that thing can do with its awful cpu and slow hard drive. Gpu is the LAST thing consoles need to address.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
VII not VIII.

2017 performance(1080 Ti) at the 2017 price while using more power. Those who picked up 1080 Ti's last year for $600 got a steal(compared to this). Doubly so if they have adaptive-sync monitors.

It the benchmarks shown it beats the RTX2080... I would wait a bit longer for more data on it to be honest, but yeah Navi (aka the arch they are co-finances by possibly both AMD and Sony and getting customised by them too) should be where the big change happens.

CuNi

13 TF for the ps5 will be great! That's over double the X1X and look at what that thing can do with its awful cpu and slow hard drive. Gpu is the LAST thing consoles need to address.

Er ok. So your argument is "whale or fanboy lul!". Great glad we had that conversation!
You know it is okay to prefer AMD, right? But that doesn't mean you have to defend them even if they mess up.

demigod

Speak for yourself, i'm expecting 11 TFlops tops.

Leonidas

It the benchmarks shown it beats the RTX2080... I would wait a bit longer for more data on it to be honest, but yeah Navi (aka the arch they are co-finances by possibly both AMD and Sony and getting customised by them too) should be where the big change happens.

AMD benchmarks. Wouldn't be surprsied in reality if the 2080 is the faster card overall. Wouldn't be surprsied if 2017s 1080 Ti is faster while using less power.

Airbus Jr

Banned

If it's true what you said(13 tf) that's good enough I think

That's double the power of Xbox one X and the x are already more than capable to deliver 4K at many occasions

im currently trying to build my first PC/workstation, not specifically for high end gaming, but for doing art, 3d animation, video editing. should i keep this gpu in mind, or its not that big of an upgrade over competitors/last years models

Leonidas

Hooo wee that's nice. I'd say overpriced but the 2080ti is almost double this with less memory.

You'd expect a bigger lead on 2080 I guess but still not bad.

Wait the 2080 is still more than this? Than how can this card be anything but a win?

Because 1080 Ti launched in 2017(2 years ago) at the same price with the same performance.

For 2080 and VII it comes down to what you value more. DLSS and ray-tracing or 16 GB frame buffer...

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

I put some value on ray-tracing and DLSS so I can't say I feel the same...

And if it's like AMD previous high end cards there is no overclocking headroom giving Nvidia cards a bit more value in that way as well..
I might agree with you once the 2nd generation Ray Tracing hardware comes out. Too early for me to put real stock in that and this conversation has been well tread before now :)

As for overclocking, I'm unfamiliar with how Turing fares there, but Pascal is largely down to silicon lottery in my experience, with the built in boosting taking advantage of headroom on the well cooled non-FE cards. Seen better results from undervolting, really.

Very early to cast a vote either way tbh. Looks good enough for a stopgap while AMD fixes their GPU division, at least. That said the radeon has a very very nice memory bandwidth - wonder if they were forced to 16GB HBM2 (I forget how many stacks that would be, but assume more than Vega) to avoid bottlenecks.

im currently trying to build my first PC/workstation, not specifically for high end gaming, but for doing art, 3d animation, video editing. should i keep this gpu in mind, or its not that big of an upgrade over competitors/last years models
Reminds me more of their workstation GPUs, tbh despite the gaming tag. Worth keeping an eye on as details evolve - but a lot is going to depend on what your software of choice supports and works best with. i.e. There isn't always a clear winner. Gamersnexus ran some benches not long ago that might be a helpful starting point.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Could be but it's probably not, look at RX Vega 64, RX 590, RX 580, Fury X, Radeon 290X. All pushed to their limit with no headroom, this is probably the same especially since they posted the slide of 25% more performance at the same power.
I don't believe in probablies and past experiences are not always a outcome for the future.

Still 7 nm is a smaller chip meaning with that big chungus cooler they have, it is a viable option.

Also Radeons tend to more age like fine wine than the Green team.

And its not like they are going for the top crown anyway.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
16 gigs of memory? Seems like overkill for games.
8GB is starting to show signs of being a bottleneck. It was the one area where it gave the 11GB 1080TI an advantage over the 8GB 2080 in some benchmarks. So 16GB will be here sooner than you think, especially for those who love gaming in 4K.

Personally I wish nvidia had kept the 2070 at 8GB, made the 2080 12GB and brought the 2080 Ti all the way to 16GB.

Last edited:
Because 1080 Ti launched in 2017(2 years ago) at the same price with the same performance.

For 2080 and VII it comes down to what you value more. DLSS and ray-tracing or 16 GB frame buffer...
I mean yeah, prices across the board have gotten out of control and the 1080ti is still great. But nvidia is looking even worse than AMD right now in prices.

Dlss is just upscaling though and to use ray tracing I don't see how anyone would prefer 1/4 the resolution + lower frame rates for just one part of the detail looking better.

Leonidas

PS5 Pro maybe. No way PS5 will have 13 Tflops if AMD's high end 2019 GPU is only 13 Tflops on 7nm. I'm kind of expecting 10 TF for PS5 if we're lucky and I don't even think we'll get that at this point.

Last edited:

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Very disappointing that their first 7nm consumer GPU gets approximately the same performance as the 16nm 1080Ti from nearly two years ago while consuming more power.

This is clearly a stopgap product. Wait for Navi.

If it's true what you said(13 tf) that's good enough I think

That's double the power of Xbox one X and the x are already more than capable to deliver 4K at many occasions
I don't know if it will be 13 but there's a chance. You would think that they at least want twice x1x performance to hit the same graphics at 60fps.

Personally I'm fine with whatever, even 10tf. I just want more games to be 60fps.

PS5 Pro maybe. No way PS5 will have 13 Tflops if AMD's high end 2019 GPU is only 13 Tflops on 7nm. I'm kind of expecting 10 TF for PS5 if we're lucky and I don't even think we'll get that at this point.
We'll see. You're probably underestimating how much as an individual enthusiast consumer, that you're overpaying for PC parts.

This isnt NAVI like ps5 either.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Now you're getting me worried.. :messenger_fearful:
So, 9900К cost around 45К RUB here and I excpect Ryzen equivalent to cost between 38 to 40К (maybe slightly more). Now, even though 5-7К less (if well get extremely lucky) is kind of good and cheaper than 9900К, even at that price I just don't see myself buying ~40К CPU, I just freakin' can't. Furtermore, non X version of the same CPU for ~33-35К for example is also out of question cuz that means it is better to buy 8700K which'll be more that enough for gaming for at least 5 or even more years. Ugh, I know that it's kinda unrealistic to expect much more competative prices from AMD.... but damn, fuck no for 40K CPU.

this is not a bad added value since i would keep dmc5+re2 and most likely [allegedly] resell division 2 day one to get back 50$
Ha-ha, yeah, right, not a chance))))))

You'll have a choice to get only one of these games and not all of them, I'm sure of it.

Last edited:

Ivellios

8GB is starting to show signs of being a bottleneck. It was the one area where it gave the 11GB 1080TI an advantage over the 8GB 2080 in some benchmarks. So 16GB will be here sooner than you think, especially for those who love gaming in 4K.

Personally I wish nvidia had kept the 2070 at 8GB, made the 2080 12GB and brought the 2080 Ti all the way to 16GB.

Maybe for 4k and 1440p it can bottleneck, but i really doubt anything at 1080p can bottleneck a 8gb card

Top Bottom