• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Radeon VII Announced

SonGoku

Arch should not be affected by die shrink.

We are talking about improvements only in the shrink process not new arch.

New arch add more improvements over what you get with a new process.
That's what im saying there's only so much you can do with a old arch with a hard cu limit. The transistor count is even smaller than the rtx 2080 with all the extra specialized cores at 12nm
The card is 13.2B transistors almost the same size as vega and smaller than rtx 2080.

Its probably hitting diminishing returns with high clocks not to mention immature process yields

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
First off, day 1. I still remember telling folk that Vega 7nm is coming to gamers and they kept telling me about the Radeon Instinct MI60. Well here it is.......

VII not VIII.

2017 performance(1080 Ti) at the 2017 price while using more power. Those who picked up 1080 Ti's last year for $600 got a steal(compared to this). Doubly so if they have adaptive-sync monitors.

Looks like we're back at "wait for Navi".

Performance is more important than spending an extra $5 in electricity a year. If you are such a proponent of $800-1200 for RTX and noisy DLSS IQ at 1440p render, passed on as 4k, then be my guest. Yet, you should stop being so disingenuous about it all, talking about savings at the power meter, when you're defending such expensive NV cards with one RTX game after 4 months, less ram than Radeon 7, and which will also cheaper than its direct NV competitor.

A $699 card packed with 16gb of HBM, with much higher bandwidth, double the rops is exactly what Vega needed, this will be a better 4K card than RTX 2080 and it will also be a much better workstation card too........Let's be honest, only a few persons are buying 2080ti for shirts and giggles, Vega 7 caters to a wider demographic that want to game and do production work. Two birds, one stone, cheaper price than 2080. Looks like a winner to me...

Well, I'll stick to my AUROS 1080Ti thank you very much. And now that we know the price for Radeon VII, I highly doubt that 9900K analogue from AMD will have very attractive and competitive price.

Ha, something tells me you never intended to part with your high end NV card for an AMD card anyway...I mean, the 1080ti is a pretty good card, your path to an upgrade is surely a 2080ti, but the markup to upgrade is so ridiculous on NV's side, that many simply won't.......I hope folk were not expecting 2080ti level of performance at $700.00 on Vega architecture reduced to 7nm.....HBM2 is still pretty expensive...It seems people are only interested in AMD if they give stuff away.....

Yet, I think the Radeon 7nm will easily outperform the 1080ti in games at 4k....

Yes ? It's 7nm processor. It should be as powerful . The price for the card is premium as well
It's not a brand new architecture, it's still Vega at 7nm....A 2080ti is $1200.....Maybe for $1200 they could double the CU's, go 24GB on memory, would you be game then?

No way PS5 will have 13 Tflops if AMD's high end 2019 GPU is only 13.8 Tflops on 7nm.
AMD's high end GPU in 2019 is based on Vega architecture with a die shrink, it's not a "new" architecture like Turing.....That comes a bit later in the year with NAVI.....Yet at this pricepoint, Radeon 7 should make a dent....

This will perform between the RTX 2080 and 2080ti, higher bandwidth, much more memory than the competitor....This is what 4k needs, more bandwidth and memory, more rops, higher clocks.....Vega clearly needed to be fed a bit more and that is rectified here...Also, content creation thrives on memory, so the cards will do well in the market....till NAVI arrives......I'm pretty sure yields are not that great on the 7nm process yet, so the fact that AMD could deliver a gaming GPU on 7nm so soon when everybody said it would not happen is testament.....

I also think the shipment might be smaller than we expect, so I'll grab mine early. Maybe AMD is using out the rest of it's Vega silicon at 7nm, where the process will mature moreso by Navi's launch....It clearly looks like current Vega is being cleared out of the market anyway......The demos you saw was on a preview driver as well, and don't forget that RTX 2080FE is already overclocked....There should be lots of room to overclock Radeon 7 at 7nm if it already boosts to 1800Mhz on reference cards.....With the amount of Vram this card has, the amount of Rops and the higher bandwidth, you better watch out when this card is overclocked to 2000-2100Mhz......It will be a beast at 4K, with less stuttering and smoother graphs over it's NV competitor......

I wonder if AMD didn't announce an 8GB version of Radeon VII because that will end up putting their Vega 64 cards in a conundrum. 16GB of HBM2 is quite insane.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Not nearly the same level as AMD is getting, and people are still choosing to buy the 2080.
What? This thing got announced 5 hours ago. Nvidia has been getting shit on for 4 months.

And what did you expect? This card literally could’ve been released 2 years ago and it would’ve been considered good competition for Nvidia. They are literally 2 years late to the game. Same launch price as 1080 Ti, similar performance, higher power consumption.

Nothing would make me happier than seeing AMD really knock it out of the park but Radeon VII ain’t it. This is a stopgap until Navi (and even then, the first Navi parts are rumored to be mid range).

Last edited:

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
I'm cheap and still have my 970 so I'll prob wait for 2060 or something at $250.

$400+ too rich for my blood. Though good for people who buy this I guess.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Doesn't seem like the price is too competitive for performance on par with 2080? Now that nvidia supports freesync somewhat at least there's less reason to go AMD. What is the incentive to get these if they can be found for comparable prices other than to be team red? Edit: I just noticed that it has double the VRAM for that money. That's pretty good but it remains to be seen if games even use that much? Surely game developers will want to target the high end NVidia cards at least as much rather than bottleneck them in any way so what would that VRAM be used for if the highest quality textures are made to a spec that fits in Nvidia's 8GB instead? Unless of course they soon come out with cards that go above that and games target that then making the VII last longer for folks who bought it than the 1080-2080 level cards on Nvidia's side. Then again the Ti card has 11GB so I guess that puts the VII somewhere between that and the 2080 for the money even if it won't take advantage of its extra 5GB often.

I guess we'll see... My last card was an 7970 before the rebranding to 280X and that was great bang for the buck. I upgraded last year to a 1080, the 7970 lasted me 4-5 years, I hoped the 1080 will do that too...

Last edited:

SonGoku

Doesn't seem like the price is too competitive for performance on par with 2080? Now that nvidia supports freesync somewhat at least there's less reason to go AMD. What is the incentive other than to be team red? Edit: Just noticed that it has double the VRAM for that money. That's pretty good but it remains to be seen if games even need that much? Surely game devs will want to target the high end NVidia cards at least as much rather than bottleneck them in any way so what would that RAM be used for if the highest quality textures are made to a spec that fits in Nvidia's 8GB instead? Unless of course they soon come out with cards that go above that and games target that then making the VII last longer for folks who bought it than the 1080-2080 level cards on Nvidia's side. I guess we'll have to wait and see...

My last AMD card was an 7970 before the rebranding to 280X and that was great bang for the buck. I upgraded last year to a 1080, the 7970 lasted me 4-5 years, I hoped the 1080 will do that too...
Performance as good at 2080, more ram and cheaper is plenty competitive for an old arch on a new process

Alexios

We'll see if it really is cheaper, I only checked local prices for 2080 which are in euros and it seemed comparable to what I imagine the $699 will translate to over here, plus Nvidia could drop a small worldwide price cut by then. But yeah I noticed the double the VRAM after I wrote that initial post. But we'll see if games can even take advantage of more than the 2080 Ti's 11GB texture wise and stuff but at least that means VII will easily get the same quality textures as the Ti even if not the rest settings, while the 2080 non Ti might not achieve as much, putting the VII easily above it. We'll have to wait and see for real world use scenarios and of course different resolution benchmarks, maybe whatever resolution and other settings these cards have to settle for in next gen games means they both can have the highest textures still.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Performance as good at 2080, more ram and cheaper is plenty competitive for an old arch on a new process
Is it really cheaper? GTX 2080 launched at $699 too. I checked Newegg and there are 5 cards at $699.

It is the same price.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Alexios

Does any game even req. over 8GB of video mem even at 4K ? https://www.tweaktown.com/tweakipedia/90/much-vram-need-1080p-1440p-4k-aa-enabled/index.html

Why would any gamer choose Vega refresh at the same price/perf as 2080 but without Ray-tracing and DLSS?
Well that would imply 3GB out of 11 on the Ti are useless too, if you only buy a GPU for up to the past year's games it's true but if you want it to last you a while then that could easily change. Though you're right that with potentially lower resolution and other settings used on the VII than the Ti for performance reasons it could mean it still doesn't need that much VRAM to push the highest textures, who knows.

I think raytracing has a lot to prove, especially for less-than-the-top-of-the-line where you may prefer to turn it off to maintain performance and otherwise max it. I do think it's useless on the 2070 and lower. We might also see raytracing middleware solutions get worked in the popular engines and APIs and perform similarly on all cards though, if they don't all opt to utilize Nvidia's tech by default, who knows...

Last edited:
Well that would imply 3GB out of 11 on the Ti are useless too, if you only buy a GPU for up to the past year's games it's true but if you want it to last you a while then that could easily change. Though you're right that with potentially lower resolution and other settings used on the VII than the Ti for performance reasons it could mean it still doesn't need that much VRAM to push the highest textures, who knows.

I think Ray Tracing has a lot to prove, especially for less-than-the-top-of-the-line where you may prefer to turn it off to maintain performance and otherwise max it. I do think it's useless on the 2070 and lower. We might see ray tracing middleware solutions get built-in the popular engines and APIs and perform similarly on all cards though, if they don't opt to utilize Nvidia's tech by default, who knows.
No point in mentioning Ti at all. Vega refresh gives same perf at the same price as RTX 2080 non Ti. DLSS gives you a very tangible perf boost at very comparable image quality.

At 4K not vega refresh nor 2080 will give you 60+ fps at 4K when new consoles drop [2020]. It's the absolute worst time to buy a gpu, if want it to last.

What make you think that Ray-tracing can't be done with compute on the VII ?
Do you have a demo showing it can do same iq at the same perf ?

As I said before, I bet next gen consoles will have some sort of dowgraded raytracing with significantly lowered iq compared to what we see in BF5 with RTX and will still manage to hit 30fps.

Last edited:

Alexios

Yeah you didn't really reply to anything I said. There was point in mentioning the Ti and it's in my post since we discussed VRAM there. If you want a demo for him then show us a demo of the 2020+ games and how the VII's extra vram doesn't benefit it. It's kinda hard to have double standards like that and ask practical proof from some but not offer it yourself, as you know it's impossible in both cases and everyone's merely making educated guesses. Nowhere did I say anything about gaming in 4K/60 forever and ever with any of these cards either, these won't do it, the Ti won't do it either, at least not without other setting concessions. I mean, they're already maxed out and just about achieve it in some current games with maxed settings even with the official graph in the OP as seen in two out of the three games so yeah, duh. DLSS can be neat, we'll see how many games utilize it in a way that gives a boost similar to the best examples of it today after all is said and done, it's not like you only flip it on in NV settings and it works.

Last edited:
I only asked the guy for a demo, because he kind off implied that raytracing can be done without dedicated hardware designed for it, but emulating it. It certainly can be done - very poorly. Absolutely not anywhere at the same IQ and perf. we see in BF5.

PhoenixTank

Yes, we will hit 8GB limits before too much longer as there were a few benchmarks were the 1080 Ti pulled ahead of the 2080 due to more memory.
Either I'm more tired that I thought, or you've posted that twice now - would you mind digging out a link if possible, or naming the games and resolutiion? Not saying "rah rah rah, impossible" but I'm interested to see what is going on. Usually a memory capacity deficit results in heavily impacted frame times. Did you perhaps mean memory bandwidth? Though there isn't a huge gap there (7%?) but unclear how big of a difference you are talking about too.

Last edited:
If you're talking about me, than I provided a link and we see how far we still are from 8GB even at 4K at current games : https://www.tweaktown.com/tweakipedia/90/much-vram-need-1080p-1440p-4k-aa-enabled/index.html

One of the examples from the page: 6,4 GB of video mem used in GTA5 at 4K even with AA applied [8xMSAA thats way overboard at 4K]
90_501_much-vram-need-1080p-1440p-4k-aa-enabled.png

Last edited:

SonGoku

Is it really cheaper? GTX 2080 launched at $699 too. I checked Newegg and there are 5 cards at $699.

It is the same price.
You are right, i was thinking founders edition price
If its as good or better than the 2080 on a consistent basis at 4k, it will be a pretty sweet card

Alexios

GTAV is a last gen game with some current enhancements though, how is that the best example as an indication for future games >_>

Also maybe VRAM can be used like on consoles that only have one pool of ram for both video and system to have other elements loaded for better performance than on the lower speed system ram?

Also maybe it also benefits VR rendering to have that much VRAM, does stereoscopic 3D need any additional VRAM or do the assets only get loaded once even if they're rendered twice (makes sense), Idk.

Last edited:

Ascend

The only people who would want this card are maybe some “prosumers” who also do some gaming.
Or the ones that refuse to buy nVidia after GPP.

They finally upped their ROPs, which was always a weak point in their graphics cards. I really wonder how it will perform now that that weakness is most likely gone.

gspat

What? This thing got announced 5 hours ago. Nvidia has been getting shit on for 4 months.

And what did you expect? This card literally could’ve been released 2 years ago and it would’ve been considered good competition for Nvidia. They are literally 2 years late to the game. Same launch price as 1080 Ti, similar performance, higher power consumption.

Nothing would make me happier than seeing AMD really knock it out of the park but Radeon VII ain’t it. This is a stopgap until Navi (and even then, the first Navi parts are rumored to be mid range).

I don't get the hate for either one, actually, These designs were in place two years ago. We got what we were going to get.

In all honesty, I was expecting Navi to be announced, not a cut down Vega instinct card. I was under the impression that Vega2 was being skipped for consumers.

Power consumption isn't as big a deal. If it was, no-one would overclock ever.

Eventually, Nvidia is going to have to move to a chiplet style design as the monolithic design they have just won't scale well as it shrinks, and the power issues will be on their products too. That's one of the big issues with 7nm.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Ha, something tells me you never intended to part with your high end NV card for an AMD card anyway.
Yep:messenger_grinning_sweat:

But I'm glad that they have a 1080Ti level card now, even if it's not that much cheaper than a 2080, which is basically 1080Ti with RTX and less memory. Something tells me btw, that there'll be a Radeon VII card with 8 or 11 GB memory which'll be like for 50-60$ less cuz let's be frank, aside maybe RE7, which can eat up to 10 GB of VRAM on max in 1.8 internal render resolution or in 4K, there's little to no game that can eat 16 or even 10 if it's not VRAM leak.

I mean, the 1080ti is a pretty good card, your path to an upgrade is surely a 2080ti, but the markup to upgrade is so ridiculous on NV's side, that many simply won't.
I'll upgrade only to a 449-499$ card that is 40-50% better than a 2080Ti in raster in 4K. Don't care about RTX before mass adoption of it across all major developers and with a good performance at 1440p 60 at least..

I hope folk were not expecting 2080ti level of performance at $700.00 on Vega architecture reduced to 7nm.....HBM2 is still pretty expensive...It seems people are only interested in AMD if they give stuff away.....
Well, not give stuff away but more like give it away for a much competative prices like how they did before. And as we can see now, there's basically no need for NVIDIA to drop down their redicilous and laughable prices cuz Radeon VII's price is the same as 2080 in MSRP.

I'm still waiting for 3700 and still wanna be optimistic. I mean Ryzen 7 2700 is fantastically priced!, so I really hope AMD cpu division won't go nuts as their gpu div.
Well, I don't care about 9900K level of performance anyway and something like Ryzen 7 with 6 cores 12 threads for 400-450$ with the same (or better) level of performance in gaming than 8700К, is more that enough for me. So now AMD needs to convince me not to buy 8700K and they have less than 6 months to do it.

So basically AMD is waiting for X570 mobos to be ready to announce and release new Ryzen's, which is understandable. And even though you can buy new CPU and use it with current AM4 mobos via future BIOS update, clearly they were designed and developed with X570 and PCI-E 4 in mind.

Last edited:
GTAV is a last gen game with some current enhancements though, how is that the best example as an indication for future games >_>

Also maybe VRAM can be used like on consoles that only have one pool of ram for both video and system to have other elements loaded for better performance than on the lower speed system ram?

Also maybe it also benefits VR rendering to have that much VRAM, does stereoscopic 3D need any additional VRAM or do the assets only get loaded once even if they're rendered twice (makes sense), Idk.
Heres just for you. Just cause 4 [4,3 GB] and Asscreed oddysseus [6,3 GB] Well below 8 GB at 4K.

Just-Cause4-2019-01-10-03-48-17-875.png

ACOdyssey-2019-01-10-03-16-57-144.png

onQ123

Do you have a demo showing it can do same iq at the same perf ?

As I said before, I bet next gen consoles will have some sort of dowgraded raytracing with significantly lowered iq compared to what we see in BF5 with RTX and will still manage to hit 30fps.

I don't need a demo to tell you that a 13.8 TF fp32 / 27.6TF fp16 MIMD processor with this much memory & bandwidth is able to pull off the ray-tracing effects seen in games so far .

I can't tell you how well it will run vs RTX 2080 but I know hybrid ray-tracing has been done on AMD cards for years in demos

ADt2j5.jpg

Last edited:
I don't need a demo to tell you that a 13.8 TF fp32 / 27.6TF fp16 MIMD processor with this much memory & bandwidth is able to pull off the ray-tracing effects seen in games so far .

I can't tell you how well it will run vs RTX 2080 but I know hybrid ray-tracing has been done on AMD cards for years in demos

That star wars ray tracing demo runs at 11 fps! on 1080 ti and 60fps on 2080 ti. Vega 7 isn't that much more powerful than 1080 ti.

I wouldn't doubt for a second telling you that even consoles will be capable of some sort of significantly downgraded simplified version of raytracing next gen , so of course this vega 7 could even do same IQ raytracing we see in BF5, but at what crappy framerate? 11 fps like on 1080 ti won't cut it.

AMD needs 7 nm to match Nvidia's 16 nm and they are so proud of it they put the 7 in the name. Okay.

Radeon Fantasy VII has the same performance as the 3-years old, 16 nm GTX 1080 Ti and still uses more power for the same price. Yes, I really want this instead of just buying an RTX 2080 that uses less power and has additional features or a cheaper secondhand 1080 Ti which still uses less power.

Last edited:

llien

2017 performance(1080 Ti) at the 2017 price while using more power.

2080 costs 850-ish Euro where I live. How does it fit into "2017 perf" picture?

Heck, even 1080Ti is 800 Euros.

...and they are so proud of it they put the 7 in the name.
V2 has bad associations.

Waiting for benchmarks, I'm curious if the 16 GB make any difference or just a high cost element they could go without?
It looks like basically 7nm Vega instinct, which had those 16Gb:

with 4 out of 64 CUs disabled (probably faulty).
AdoredTV mentioned AMD having a pile of about 60k of those cards.

Last edited:
Hopefully there is a 8GB variant for $599, that will fuck with nVidia's pricing.

Other than him bullshitting about FreeSync, it's really hard to argue with most of his statements.

Don't forget that apparently with the 2060 nVidia is now "ready" to launch RTX. Wat?!? You mean the 1 ray tracing game and the 1 DLSS game??

Last edited:

CuNi

2080 costs 850-ish Euro where I live. How does it fit into "2017 perf" picture?

Heck, even 1080Ti is 800 Euros.

V2 has bad associations.

It looks like basically 7nm Vega instinct, which had those 16Gb:

with 4 out of 64 CUs disabled (probably faulty).
AdoredTV mentioned AMD having a pile of about 60k of those cards.

May I ask where you exactly live? Even here in Germany where prices are usually higher, you can get the 2080 for 699€.

First off, day 1. I still remember telling folk that Vega 7nm is coming to gamers and they kept telling me about the Radeon Instinct MI60. Well here it is.......

Performance is more important than spending an extra $5 in electricity a year. If you are such a proponent of $800-1200 for RTX and noisy DLSS IQ at 1440p render, passed on as 4k, then be my guest. Yet, you should stop being so disingenuous about it all, talking about savings at the power meter, when you're defending such expensive NV cards with one RTX game after 4 months, less ram than Radeon 7, and which will also cheaper than its direct NV competitor.

Err no. 5$ in electricity per year is so blatantly false. If I were to compare the 225W 2080 against the presumably 300W VII at THE BEST bucks per Watt in my local town, it's around 50€ a Year with my gaming habits. Since I DON'T have that electricity deal, it's actually around 70€ in electricity I'd pay for the VII per Year... sooo I get same performance for the same price as a 2080 and even have to pay ~50€ at least on TOP... That's a perfect example of a Premium on top just to go Team Red.

Who knows, maybe the real next Arch IS going to be very competitive or even bash out Nvidia, but let's be honest. This Card is in no way really competitive. Less features and more power draw for the same price as a 2080? Tell me please, what is the reason to get this card if I can buy a 2080 with RTX, DLSS and now even FreeSync Support for the same price and even save on ~50€ a year on electricity?

Waiting for your arguments.

CuNi

That's where I live, but you are right, some models can be had even for 649, did price drop recently?

Good question.. 650€ only shows even more how bad of a deal the VII is. And I said it in this or another thread but even if the 2080 would sell for 800and the VII would be a good competitor, all Nvidia would need to do is lower the price by just 50 bucks to be 750 on average and bam its already a better deal.

Like I said I hope Navi does better, I really do hope so, but the current situation paints a grim future. At least they get to push Intel around a bit..

llien

around 50€ a Year with my gaming habits
Just a quick napkin math.

30 cents per kWh.
For 50 euro you can get 166 kWh.
With 80W difference you need to game for 2080 hours per year, or 5-6 hours per day on average.
AMD also has tech such as "Radeon Chill" allowing you to reduce framerates when your mouse is idle etc, but yeah, not an environmentally friendly card.

Like I said I hope Navi does better.
This is just a by product of the instinct card, Navi will definitely do better, the question is when it comes.
People were expecting Q1 7nm Zen2, which will only come Q3 this year it seems.

CuNi

Just a quick napkin math.

30 cents per kWh.
For 50 euro you can get 166 kWh.
With 80W difference you need to game for 2080 hours per year, or 5-6 hours per day on average.
AMD also has tech such as "Radeon Chill" allowing you to reduce framerates when your mouse is idle etc, but yeah, not an environmentally friendly card.

This is just a by product of the instinct card, Navi will definitely do better, the question is when it comes.
People were expecting Q1 7nm Zen2, which will only come Q3 this year it seems.

And you nearly hit it. I play on average 6h a day. It's more like 4h midweek but easily 10h or more weekends. And I unfortunately pay 0,34 cents. But even if we take the 30 cents and lower the average to 4h a day, it's still not just 5€. Considering that people who buy such cards tend to play more or usually hang on to cards for around 4 years, it's still a better deal overall even if the 2080 would be 100€ more expensive. Since some 2080s are on par and some are even cheaper, it's a no brauner to get them.. You basically save money and get RTX and DLSS for free.

Edit: and on top of that, if the rumors are true and Nvidia will release GTX versions of their current line up then that will only mean even more better bang for buck cards that AMD has no competitor to.

I really hoped for a 2080 competitor at around 599. THAT would be a very good move but sadly it's like it is. I'm just left wondering if they will up the performance that much with Navi that they will able to compete with Nvidia. By the time Navi releases, I can see Nvidia start to tease the 30XX generation already.

Last edited:

llien

Considering that people who buy such cards tend to play more or usually hang on to cards for around 4 years, it's still a better deal overall even if the 2080 would be 100€ more expensive.
Fair enough.
But you also need to take double the RAM into account. Vega7 is more likely not to run into "too big a texture" trouble 2 years from now, add 3 games to it to sweeten the deal (100 total perhaps?) and you are covered for 2+ years.

I'm not saying that it is a great deal, but it clearly isn't a terrible deal either.

CuNi

Fair enough.
But you also need to take double the RAM into account. Vega7 is more likely not to run into "too big a texture" trouble 2 years from now, add 3 games to it to sweeten the deal (100 total perhaps?) and you are covered for 2+ years.

I'm not saying that it is a great deal, but it clearly isn't a terrible deal either.

That's true. I dunno maybe I'm just disappointed as I have hoped for more of a competition out of a 7nm vs 12nm card.

Evilms

Banned
During an interview with PCWorld and other journalists, NVIDIA CEO Jensen Huang was asked about the new addition to Radeon family, the Radeon VII or Radeon 7.
Jensen was clearly not in a mood to give compliments to Radeon team, what he said was more than surprising:
It’s underwhelming […] The performance is lousy and there’s nothing new.
He then added:
[There’s] no ray tracing, no AI. It’s 7nm with HBM memory that barely keeps up with a 2080. And if we turn on DLSS we’ll crush it. And if we turn on ray tracing we’ll crush it.
It is rather uncommon for a competitor to share such opinions before the product even reaches the market. The Radeon VII will not be available till February 7, no independent reviews have been posted yet.
Interestingly PCWorld had the chance to ask Lisa Su about Jensen’s critique and this is what she said:
What I would say is that we’re very excited about Radeon VII, and I would probably suggest that he hasn’t seen it yet.
https://videocardz.com/newz/jensen-huang-says-radeon-vii-is-underwhelming-lisa-su-responds

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
Radeon Ga Ga

I'd sit alone and watch the light
You rendered every gaming night
With every graphics option on
I saw it on my Radeon
Radeon

You gave them all a high framerate
Though sometimes your drivers were late
You made 'em run without a hitch
In BF1942, Nvidia was your bitch

So don't become some console pleb
Running shovelware made for the web
For casuals who are so easy to impress
And can't see above 30fps
You had your time, you had the power,
I want to put you in my tower
Radeon

All we hear is Radeon ga ga
Radeon goo goo
Radeon ga ga
Radeon what's new?
Radeon, someone still loves you!

We watch the keynotes, we watch some suit
but no one cares about Compute
We hardly need to watch this trash
When you announce slow parts for lots of cash

Let's hope you support HDMI 2.1
So we can buy new TVs and have some fun
And stick around cos we might miss you
When we're stuck with Nvidia for a discrete GPU

Radeon goo goo
Radeon ga ga
Radeon goo goo
Radeon ga ga
Radeon blah blah
Radeon what's new?

Radeon

Radeon goo goo
Radeon ga ga
Radeon blah blah
Radeon what's new?
Loves you

SonGoku

One of the examples from the page: 6,4 GB of video mem used in GTA5 at 4K even with AA applied [8xMSAA thats way overboard at 4K]
Funny that the example you are championing its a last last gen game (ps360)
When games developed exclusively for next gen happen, 8GB wont be enough
Vega 7 isn't that much more powerful than 1080 ti.
You know which card isnt that much more powerful than 1080 ti either? the rtx 2080
Funny how some people are using this to diss VII when the RTX 2080 is the exact same... They are both in the same ballpark similarly priced

Last edited:
Top Bottom