• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Reports Fourth Quarter and Annual 2018 Financial Results

llien

Back into profitability, margins up to 38%.
Stock up 12% after these news.

1L2JZ4gjwQWXyxp4.jpg

fb0bq9wuokwI6WxK.jpg

2018 Annual Results
  • Revenue of $6.48 billion was up 23 percent year-over-year primarily driven by higher revenue in the Computing and Graphics segment.
  • Gross margin was 38 percent compared to 34 percent for the prior year. Non-GAAP gross margin was 39 percent compared to 34 percent in the prior year. Gross margin expansion was primarily driven by our new Ryzen, EPYC and Radeon products.
  • Operating income was $451 million compared to $127 million in the prior year. Non-GAAP operating income was $633 million compared to $224 million in the prior year. The operating income improvement was primarily due to higher revenue and gross margin expansion partially offset by higher operating expenses.
  • Net income was $337 million compared to a net loss of $33 million in the prior year. Non-GAAP net income was $514 million compared to $103 million in the prior year.
  • Diluted earnings per share was $0.32 compared to a loss per share of $0.03 in 2017. Non-GAAP diluted earnings per share was $0.46 compared to $0.10 in the prior year.
  • Cash,cash equivalents and marketable securities were $1.16 billion at the end of the year, down slightly from $1.18 billion at the end of2017.
  • Free cash flow was -$129 million for the year due to higher inventory related to new products and to the timing of collections.
Q4 2018 Results
  • Revenue of $1.42 billion was up 6 percent year-over-year primarily driven by the Computing and Graphics segment. Revenue was down 14 percent compared to the prior quarter as a result of lower revenue in the Enterprise, Embedded and Semi-Custom segment. Third quarter 2018 included approximately $125 million of IP-related revenue.
  • Gross margin was 38 percent compared to 34 percent a year ago and 40 percent in the prior quarter. Fourth quarter gross margin included a $45 million charge related to older technology licenses that are no longer being used. Non-GAAP gross margin was 41 percent compared to 34 percent a year ago and 40 percent in the prior quarter. Gross margin improvements were primarily driven by Ryzen and EPYC processor sales.
  • Operating income was $28 million compared to an operating loss of $2 million a year ago and operating income of $150 million in the prior quarter. On a non-GAAP basis, operating income was $109 million compared to $19 million a year ago and $186 million in the prior quarter. The year-over-year improvement was primarily due to the ramp of higher margin products in the Computing and Graphics segment. The decrease compared to the prior quarter was primarily due to seasonally lower Enterprise, Embedded and Semi-Custom segment revenue and the absence of IP-related revenue, partially offset by the benefit of new Ryzen, EPYC and Radeon products.
  • Net income was $38 million compared to a net loss of $19 million a year ago and net income of $102 million in the prior quarter. On a non-GAAP basis, net income was $87 million compared to $8 million a year ago and $150 million in the prior quarter.
  • Diluted earnings per share was $0.04 compared to a loss per share of $0.02 a year ago and diluted earnings per share of $0.09 in the prior quarter. On a non-GAAP basis, diluted earnings per share was $0.08 compared to $0.01 a year ago and $0.13 in the prior quarter.
  • Cash,cash equivalents and marketable securities were $1.16 billion at the end of the quarter as compared to $1.06 billion at the end of the prior quarter.
  • Free cash flow was $79 million for the quarter

Current Outlook
For the first quarter of 2019, AMD expects revenue to be approximately $1.25 billion, plus or minus $50 million, a decrease of approximately 12 percent sequentially and 24 percent year-over-year. The sequential decrease is expected to be primarily driven by continued softness in the graphics channel and seasonality across the business. The year-over-year decrease is expected to be primarily driven by lower graphics sales due to excess channel inventory, the absence of blockchain-related GPU revenue and lower memory sales. In addition, semi-custom revenue is expected to be lower year-over-year while Ryzen, EPYC and Radeon datacenter GPU product sales are expected to increase. AMD expects non-GAAP gross margin to be approximately 41 percent in the first quarter of 2019. In addition, the Company expects to record a $60 million IP licensing gain which will be a benefit to operating income and recorded on the licensing gain line of the P&L.

For full year 2019, AMD expects high single digit percentage revenue growth driven by Ryzen, EPYC and Radeon datacenter GPU product sales as the Company ramps 7nm products throughout the year. AMD expects non-GAAP gross margin to be greater than 41 percent for 2019.

TechPowerUp

Relevant info from anandtech site:

Lqki1Jz.png

8DKShJ7.png

Last edited:

Azzurri

I wish AMD would compete in the high end GPU market with the 2080ti. Last 'Red' card I've used was the 4870x2 and I loved it.

Ivellios

I wish AMD would compete in the high end GPU market with the 2080ti. Last 'Red' card I've used was the 4870x2 and I loved it.

And i wish they would make new mid ranged cards at ressonante prices, the RX 580 is getting old and the RX 590 price is just not worth for the small increase in performance.

llien

And i wish they would make new mid ranged cards at ressonante prices, the RX 580 is getting old and the RX 590 price is just not worth for the small increase in performance.
On the other hand, RX 570 trounces anything close to its perf range.

Everyone is waiting forever for Navi, the truth is no one knows how exactly it will be in terms of price/performance.
True, but I think sony has probably sampled prototypes along the way and corrected course had performance not matched expectations.
So this proves that there will be no new consoles in 2019 right?
Wasn't TSMC manufacturing affected by chemical contaminants recently? Could that cause a delay?

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3070062/chemical-calamity-borks-thousands-of-tsmc-chips

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
With Navi coming in Summer at best, because 7nm woes, no way.

And while we are at it, yet another "PS5 kits hsipped" rumor.

This has to be wrong correct?
As for hardware specifics, sources told TweakTown the PS5 is powered by a discrete GPU instead of an combined APU with shared CPU and graphics. The system may also leverage an 8-core Zen 2 CPU from AMD with Navi graphics technology. Despite this hardware jump, the system is likely to play all existing PS4 games and be backwards compatible with last-gen titles.

ethomaz

Banned
This has to be wrong correct?
That could be true if they want to break the 12TFs of APU with 7nm. That makes me even more excited for a generational jump.

But I don’t believe it will happen because PS4 devkits did have CPU and GPU separeted until the APU started to produced.

The article is clear they are talking about the devkit specs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom