• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen 7 4700U scores leak on 3DMark: 15W Renoir with Vega 7 iGPU wrecks 25W Nvidia Geforce MX250, CPU on par with desktop Skylake i7-6700

llien

3DMark 11 scores were recently leaked for AMD's Ryzen 7 4700U 15W laptop APU. Considering its frugal power envelope, the part did surprisingly well on 3DMark 11's graphics test, beating Nvidia's 25W discrete GeForce MX250 by nearly 17 percent. It also confirmed AMD's claim that Vega graphics on Renoir parts would substantially outperform the existing Picasso lineup through higher clockspeeds and higher sustained performance, thanks to the 7nm process.
The integrated RX Vega 7 (with 7 compute units) scored 5446 on the 3DMark 11 graphics test. This is substantially higher than the GeForce MX 250's graphics score of 4655. Thanks to its octa-core Zen 2-based processor, the Ryzen 7 4700U also did great on the physics test, scoring 10,404. This is on par with the (dekstop) 65W Skylake i7-6700.
The move to the 7nm process has meant that AMD's managed to tap into power efficiency gains with Renoir but these results are remarkable: an iGPU that's faster than the discrete MX250 and a CPU power on par with a 14nm flagship.
With Intel set to launch Tiger Lake chips with integrated Gen12 iGPUs, though, it'll be interesting to see exactly how competitive Renoir is at launch.

notebookcheck.net`

Please, dear OEMs, do not combine this piece of awesomeness with crappy screens!

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I think the 4400G will probably be the straw that breaks the camel's back in regards to building a little iGPU Gaming PC for myself.

I think the 4400G will probably be the straw that breaks the camel's back in regards to building a little iGPU Gaming PC for myself.

I would think there would have to be large increases to system bandwidth(DDR4). The 2400G is limited by that, the last I heard.

Last edited:

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
That could be really neat. Any idea on its actual performance? Could make some really neat sff gaming computers.

The 3400g is damn close to being perfect for my needs. I don't need 4k and raytracing and all that nonsense. If I can get a 1080p image at medium graphical settings at 60fps I'd be golden.

LordOfChaos

DjfNDx2.jpg

Lisa with the fucking lightning

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
The 3400g is damn close to being perfect for my needs. I don't need 4k and raytracing and all that nonsense. If I can get a 1080p image at medium graphical settings at 60fps I'd be golden.

I'm really interested in these APUs. I have a 2500k and a 560ti which are terribly old now (over 7 years) and I'm thinking about upgrading but want to go with a sff but want better performance but don't want to break the bank.

Azurro

Banned
Yeah benchmarks are nice and all but when are we getting actual laptops with Ryzen 4000 cpus? So far there's the G14 and Lenovo just announced one, but where are the rest? I'll need to buy a new laptop at some point this year and yet all I hear are benchmarks.

ZywyPL

Banned
The problem with all those iGPUs is that most of the time their performance get seriously crippled by single-channel RAM configuration or underperforming cooling solution. It's not an issue if you opt for some loe-end model just for the web browsing, movies, Word/Excel, and so on, but if you are about to get such good chips that are capable of much more, even playing video games, then it better work as intended.

One review about laptops with one of AMD's recent APU said that "as much a great this chip is, a laptop is unfortunately a sum of all of its components". So as much a great of a job AMD is doing right now, they don't have the control over what kind of RAM will be used, in what configuration, how good/bad the cooling will, be and so on.

And I expect the exact same thing to happen with Intel's upcoming 11th gen chips with Xe GPUs, they'll be overpowered for just a daily tasks, theoretically capable of playing video games, but in practice they will be crippled somewhere down the road, so they will still be overpowered for daily tasks while not being capable of playing games at all.

The irony is that the best solution is what Intel and AMD did together, with Kaby Lake-G that had Vega GPU that had its own dedicated HBM memory chip, that's the way to go IMO.

llien

Yeah benchmarks are nice and all but when are we getting actual laptops with Ryzen 4000 cpus? So far there's the G14 and Lenovo just announced one, but where are the rest? I'll need to buy a new laptop at some point this year and yet all I hear are benchmarks.

Even earlier Ryzens made it into T series, into Carbon.
On HP side there are very atractive x360 Envy.

Lenovo announced T14/15 with 4xxx series.

They said Q2, and for at least some of them it means April release.

One review about laptops with one of AMD's recent APU said that "as much a great this chip is, a laptop is unfortunately a sum of all of its components". So as much a great of a job AMD is doing right now, they don't have the control over what kind of RAM will be used, in what configuration, how good/bad the cooling will, be and so on.
That normally goes when comparing premium models to crappy low budgets.
Most Lenovo laptops, have user upgradable RAM, with second slot available to user to use.

1xxxx series mobile chips were good enough.
2xxxx were getting there.
3xxxx were basically on par with Intel offerings.
4xxxx is where we can say, hey, great job AMD.

If you buy AMD 4000 series notebook, for a price withiin 20% below what decent i7 + 250MX cost, you'll have fantastic high quality options available. Of course you should not expect great quality for sub $500 category.

Top Bottom