• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen Thread: Affordable Core Act

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, I feel like this is going to be a bit of a silly question but...I see people discussing using Hyper 212s, Noctuas, etc...

So, is it generally possible to re-purpose most/all Socket AM3+/FM2+ coolers for Socket AM4? I was under the impression I might need to buy a new cooler, but I have a CoolerMaster waterblock in my AM3+ (FX-6350) mini-tower, low profile Scythe Big Shuriken 2 in my slim-line mITX HTPC (FM2+, 860K), and a Noctua NH-L9a low-profile on standby that hasn't been installed in my other yet-to-be-built small FF HTPC. So...I have (3) AMD AM3+/FM2+ coolers ready to go (plus a ProlimaTech Samuel 17 low profile HS + 140mm slimline fan new in box as well...yeah, I like me some low-profile gear lol).

If they're not compatible out of the box most if not all cooler companies run a program where you can apply for an AM4 bracket and they'll just send it to you for the cost of shipping or even free of charge depending on the company.

thelastword

Banned
Has anyone seen an air cooler round-up including the wraith spire? I want to know how much better a good tower cooler would be, before I too support my countries pride in cooling technology.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNjkDoYZYjU

Here's the thing, the wraith spire is the best cooler you will get from a CPU manufacturer atm, but a good tower cooler will still beat it with better temps etc...I bought my coolermaster 212 when I built my skylake system for about $29.99 early last year...I think you can get the same cooler between 19.99 and 24.99 on Amazon right now...

Noctua is offering a special edition for the NH-U12S with AM4 brackets. But most existing coolers can be installed on the AM4 boards with a upgrade kit you have to order from the cooler manifacturer. Mostly for free + shipping.

Thanks for the response.

I haven't had time to look into it much yet, but I did verify that Scythe is officially supporting AM4 through a mix of "built-in compatibility" in some HSF models and the availability of AM4 brackets for other models.

My Big Shuriken 2 Rev B, for example, is part of the former group in Scythe's lineup which means it is apparently "AM4 Ready" out of the box (as per a Scythe press release) = no additional bracket required. This is great news. I'm assuming my Noctua L9a will have some sort of bracket available. So, that just leaves my CoolerMaster waterblock as the iffy one (I'm assuming I'll be SOL on the Prolimatech Samuel 17, but it does appear they still sell these direct on Amazon...so maybe?)

On a side note: Can someone clarify how it is that my Big Shuriken 2 Rev B is already good to go for AM4 even tho it's not a "clip" HSF? It uses the 4-hole bracket design...and I purchased this cooler back in 2014ish... way before Ryzen/AM4 was a known quantity...so I was under the impression I'd need a new set of brackets for AM4. I haven't looked at the brackets recently since the Scythe has been installed in my HTPC for a couple years. But I'm guessing the AM3/FM2 brackets that Scythe uses must have "adjustable" screw holes to fit the slightly different AM4 mounting pattern....

AMD [YouTube] —— id Software discusses Ryzen
"We're working on the next generation of idTech right now and we're definitely going to optimise fully for Ryzen. The new engine tech we're working on is far more parallel than idTech 6 was. We plan to really consume all the CPU that Ryzen can offer."​

Hardware Unboxed [YouTube] —— Ryzen 5 1400 vs. 1500X: 8MB vs. 16MB L3 Gaming Test!
Stock and OC, with GTX 1080 Ti and RX 480.​

Optimum Tech [YouTube] —— RYZEN 5 1400 vs i5 7500 - Gaming, Rendering, Encoding

Nicolas11x12TECHX [YouTube] —— AMD Ryzen 5 1400 - Stock vs 4GHz Overclock

Benchmark [YouTube] —— Ryzen 5 1400 vs i3-7100
**Series of videos: Ryzen 5 1400, 1500X & 1600X -vs- i5 2500K, Kaby Lake i3s and i5 K & non-K, FX-8350 & FX-9590** https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxMjw6DCP7mSAWqnV9Vx1ng

Joseph Delgado [YouTube] —— Ryzen 5 1500X vs i5 7500 - RX 480 - GTA 5 Battlefield 1 Overwatch AMD R5

Joseph Delgado [YouTube] —— Ryzen 5 1600X vs i5 7600k - GTA 5 Battlefield 1 Overwatch - GTX 1080 AMD R5

GameStar [YouTube] —— Ryzen 5 1600X in Test - AMD's Attack on the Middle Class [German]

PC-WELT [YouTube] —— The PERFECT Gaming CPU? Ryzen 5 1500X & 1600X in the Test [German]

EK is releasing the first AM4 monoblock for ASUS® ROG Crosshair VI Hero!
https://www.ekwb.com/news/ek-releases-am4-monoblock-asus-crosshair-vi-hero/

EK shows its first waterblock for an AMD Ryzen mobo
https://techreport.com/news/31788/ek-shows-its-first-waterblock-for-an-amd-ryzen-mobo

EK-EB_ASUS_C6H_NP_FitCoolant-1.jpg
EK-EB_ASUS_C6H_NP_Art2.jpg

EK-EB_ASUS_C6H_NP_Front-1.jpg
EK-EB_ASUS_C6H_NP_ColdPlate-1.jpg

If Intel wanted to really and I mean really put the pressure on AMD, they should release a 6-core Kaby Lake Processor with similar speeds to the 7700K and price it the same as the 7700K. the could then drop the price of thje 7700K.

If they did that, Kaby Lake would be an easy choice for me.
It wouldn't need to be that high. Around 3.7-4.0GHz base, and 4.0-4.3GHz turbo priced right would be interesting. Add to that a reliably high 24/7 max OC range that doesn't require de-lidding.

Thanks for the response.

I haven't had time to look into it much yet, but I did verify that Scythe is officially supporting AM4 through a mix of "built-in compatibility" in some HSF models and the availability of AM4 brackets for other models.

My Big Shuriken 2 Rev B, for example, is part of the former group in Scythe's lineup which means it is apparently "AM4 Ready" out of the box (as per a Scythe press release) = no additional bracket required. This is great news. I'm assuming my Noctua L9a will have some sort of bracket available. So, that just leaves my CoolerMaster waterblock as the iffy one (I'm assuming I'll be SOL on the Prolimatech Samuel 17, but it does appear they still sell these direct on Amazon...so maybe?)

On a side note: Can someone clarify how it is that my Big Shuriken 2 Rev B is already good to go for AM4 even tho it's not a "clip" HSF? It uses the 4-hole bracket design...and I purchased this cooler back in 2014ish... way before Ryzen/AM4 was a known quantity...so I was under the impression I'd need a new set of brackets for AM4. I haven't looked at the brackets recently since the Scythe has been installed in my HTPC for a couple years. But I'm guessing the AM3/FM2 brackets that Scythe uses must have "adjustable" screw holes to fit the slightly different AM4 mounting pattern....
There's a cooling section of this thread's OP: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=231164071&postcount=1

Ctrl+F on Windows (or word search based on whatever device you are using) for "Air and Water Cooler Compatibility," minus the quotation marks.

Prolimatech have not been as active as they once were and there has been conflicting info on AM4 compatibility, from "coming soon" assumptions, to this:

https://imgur.com/a/Jafrm

"Megahalems is not compatible with AM4, so you can not use it on AM4 motherboard"​

With no further updates or potential timeline for release provided.

·feist·;234562687 said:
My understanding is that with most of these applications only rendering processes are actually targeting multi-threading. So performance gains in those seem natural to me.
When it comes to the main programs, then yes, I'm assuming changing the code base must be a huge effort. Multi-thread/core processors are far from being a new thing but these are still underutilized.
Sure, though to be clear I was referring to the claims made in the video of there being a recent update which either made better use of Ryzen in particular, or many-core CPUs in general.

The video has benchmarks, though here is a CPU usage comparison that was included:

IC5

Cooler Master is no longer the value king. If you need a new cooler and want bang for the buck, the Reeven Justice is the cooler to beat.
It performs better and the fan is very quiet. Whereas coolermaster fans on their 212 series aren't nice and quiet.

Cooler Master is no longer the value king. If you need a new cooler and want bang for the buck, the Reeven Justice is the cooler to beat.
It performs better and the fan is very quiet. Whereas coolermaster fans on their 212 series aren't nice and quiet.

It is also like $20 more expensive, though it is quite better

JUSTICE_OC.jpg

Nachtmaer

Thanks for the tipps. Though as a fellow Austrian I have to support Noctua :)
I will wait and see what my 1600 can do before deciding on a cooling solution. I will try the wraith and see if I can manage 4GHz with a reasonable voltage and if so I will think about a good cooling solution. Otherwise I might stick with a lower clock and the stock cooler.

Yeah, that's all up to you. I just have a soft spot for Thermalright ever since their Silver Arrow. In most cases their heatsinks and fans are as good, if not better, than a lot of the top of the line coolers while being cheaper. They're just harder to come by in certain areas. Same sort of goes for Scythe.

Whether you're gonna be able to hit 4GHz will mostly be down to silicon lottery though.

There's a lot of competition in the space where the 212 series used to be king. Cryorig and a bunch of other manufacturers have made some great coolers that are A) better performing and B) easier to mount.

It also helps that non-212 coolers don't have AM4 brackets that force you to point the fan at the top or bottom of your case.

Siddiqui

I have the same cooler but sadly the Shuriken 2 rev B has been confirmed not to be receiving an upgrade bracket. It's only the older Shuriken rev.B (SCSK-1100) which is compatible. It's a shame - It's a great cooler. High performance yet quiet, low profile yet good ram clearance. Interesting that you cool an 860k with it in an ITX case. I have an 860k as well and had a feeling the shuriken should be able to handle 95 TDP with it's 5 copper pipes and all. Guess I'll pair them up after all.

For US-GAF or anyone living in the states:

Along with a price cut on all Ryzen 7s at Microcenter, their additional motherboard bundle deal price of the processors is $50 off with a 1700, and $100 off each on the 1700X and 1800X.

Price w/motherboard purchase:
$270 — R7 1700
$270 — R7 1700X
$360 — R7 1800X

So the 1800X is nearly the same price as what most outlets charge for the 1700. Good price for anyone who doesn't want to OC, or does mission critical-type work where it's best to remain stock.

Still, $270US for a 1700X may be the best deal that has come up in any country.

Did I miss anything, or have Digital Foundry yet to do any Ryzen 5 reviews or testing?

Tech Showdown —— Ryzen 5 1500x vs i7 7700 CPU Showdown - Core to Core Comparison!

Tech Showdown —— Ryzen 3 1200x (Simulated) vs Ryzen 5 1400 Cpu Showdown - R3 or R5? [4C/4T -vs- 4C/8T]

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
·feist·;234730553 said:
Did I miss anything, or have Digital Foundry yet to do any Ryzen 5 reviews or testing?

They took their time with R7 as well.

masterkajo

·feist·;234730553 said:
For US-GAF or anyone living in the states:

Along with a price cut on all Ryzen 7s at Microcenter, their additional motherboard bundle deal price of the processors is $50 off with a 1700, and $100 off each on the 1700X and 1800X.

Price w/motherboard purchase:
$270 — R7 1700
$270 — R7 1700X
$360 — R7 1800X

So the 1800X is nearly the same price as what most outlets charge for the 1700. Good price for anyone who doesn't want to OC, or does mission critical-type work where it's best to remain stock.

Still, $270US for a 1700X may be the best deal that has come up in any country.

WOW that are some pretty good deals. And I thought a 1600 for 210€ was a good deal...

WOW that are some pretty good deals. And I thought a 1600 for 210€ was a good deal...

I picked up a 1700x and X370 Taichi back when they just starting running that $100-off deal. Except the 1700x was $399 at that point, not $369 (sad trombone). But even at that price, it's cheaper than what I could get a comparable 7700k combo for, so I'm happy.

Still, got a great deal and have the 1700x cruising at 4.0Ghz with a stable overclock. Temps sitting at a chilly upper 30s °C Idle, and below 60°C during normal load (280mm AIO). Can't wait for further improvements to the AGESA microcode supposedly coming in May to really push my RAM to the limit.

Since I don't have a Microcenter anywhere near me (3 hours away), so normal price for me. I have decided that overclocking isn't that difficult, so I am going to just stick with the 1700 over the 1800X and use the extra money on better RAM (32GB 3000Mhz). I will just overclock it to 3.8 if possible for video editing and gaming. Any opinions on the MSI Tomahawk B350 Mobo? So far, it seems to be a good board from reviews.

*** I'd highly recommend anyone with an EKWB waterblock or AIO attached to an AM4 motherboard contact EK immediately for a solution to the EK-caused stability problems. Even if your system is working fine, it can randomly stop booting altogether. ***

My saga with Gigabyte's X370 Gaming 5 has entered a new phase. After initially returning my Gaming 5 in place of an Asus Crosshair Hero, I found another Gaming 5 for less than MSRP (otherwise I'd opt for another board).

Since my primary Intel build is still on the fritz, and I refuse to buy another 8-core from them at current prices, I picked up an R7 1700X as a backup PC to pair with that Gigabyte mobo.

On the day I finally decided to put together the 1700X, my primary AMD build went out of commission as well. Seems the issue is due to the EKWB Predator 360 that's cooling it. EK products are not playing nice with many Ryzen motherboards, leading to instability, CPU post code errors and users' systems ceasing to function at all.

On the plus side my 1700X is running at the same 4GHz as my 1800X, though it's not as cool (temporarily on air), and it isn't yet 100% stable. One of the two CPUs will likely be replaced depending on what Intel and AMD release in 2018-2019. Until then it will be nice to have "twin" systems to bench and compare, one with Nvidia and the other with an AMD GPU.

Since I don't have a Microcenter anywhere near me (3 hours away), so normal price for me. I have decided that overclocking isn't that difficult, so I am going to just stick with the 1700 over the 1800X and use the extra money on better RAM (32GB 3000Mhz). I will just overclock it to 3.8 if possible for video editing and gaming. Any opinions on the MSI Tomahawk B350 Mobo? So far, it seems to be a good board from reviews.
MSI seem to have the broadest range of AM4 boards, with the Tomahawk and Mortar receiving good marks from a lot of sources. Oddly enough, MSI's B350s appear to be receiving more frequent updates than their X370 line.

I had an entire compilation of X and B series motherboard reviews put together, to post here and link in the OP, but that was all on the 1800X mentioned above. I'll share the reviews once I have the ability and time to access that system or re-compile some/all of those reviews.

Meanwhile i have to settle for the 1600 and a cheap prime x370-pro for just a little less spend.

Great deals you guys have in the us
Jokes aside, along with what Oachkatzlschwoaf mentioned you have a six-core, twelve thread CPU which is comfortably faster than what most people have, and it likely cost 30-50+% less than what that level of performance used to be priced at (still is in many cases).

RAM & CPU overclocking "workshop" direct from AMD's Robert Hallock:

*** Blunty [YouTube] —— We Got Inside AMD’s Texas Home - & Learned How To Overclock RAM on Ryzen ***

More coverage from Texas event:

lionheartx10 [YouTube] —— My Dragon Squad Adventure #1 - MSI + AMD RYZEN - Austin Texas

More overclocking:

Bitwit [YouTube] —— X370 or B350 for Ryzen Overclocking? Does it even matter?

----

TechPowerUp —— AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Gets a Small Price Cut

PCWorld —— Amazon has knocked $30 off the sticker price of AMD's Ryzen 7 1800X processor

----

AMD Community Update —— New AMD Ryzen chipset drivers now available

RedGamingTech [YouTube] —— New Ryzen Drivers Improve Performance | Nvidia Launching GT 1030 | Intel 28 Core Xeon

WCCFTech —— AMD’s New Ryzen Chipset Drivers Boost Gaming Performance & Power Efficiency

AMD:

Hi, everyone! Starting this week, AMD Ryzen™ customers can download a new version of the AMD Ryzen Chipset Drivers (version 17.10).

This release is primarily intended to make good on our promise to include the AMD Ryzen Balanced power plan in the chipset driver package. The 17.10 (or later) driver release will automatically install and activate the AMD Ryzen Balanced as a fourth power plan (shown below). This driver package is exclusively designed for systems with Windows 10 x64 and the AMD Ryzen CPU.

pastedImage_1.png

What does this power plan do?

The AMD Ryzen Balanced power plan allows your AMD Ryzen processor to more quickly raise clockspeeds. The plan also prevents your CPU cores from being "parked," an idle state that can negatively impact the performance of many (but not all) games. If you're interested in additional details, our original blog on the topic has lots more to offer.

In parallel, you should also pay a visit to LegitReviews' testing on the AMD Ryzen Balanced power plan. Nathan Kirsch noted "6-7 percent performance gains when gaming at both 1080P and 1440P screen resolutions" in a couple games, plus lots of test results for you to pore over. Thanks, Nate!

----

Ryzen 7 Hackintosh:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=234045361&postcount=2607

Gils Applemania [YouTube] —— AMD Ryzen 7 1700 // OS X 10.9.5 at macOS 10.12.4

----

GameGPU recently added a Ryzen 7 1800X to their raft of test CPUs used to benchmark game releases.

Ultimate Epic Battle Simulator:
http://www.gamegpu.com/rts-/-стратегии/ultimate-epic-battle-simulator-test-gpu

Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War III:
http://www.gamegpu.com/rts-/-стратегии/warhammer-40-000-dawn-of-war-iii-test-gpu

Outlast 2:
http://www.gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/outlast-2-test-gpu

Sniper Ghost Warrior 3:
http://www.gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/sniper-ghost-warrior-3-test-gpu

Toe-Knee

After spending some time with the 1600 I don't think I'm going to bother ordering the am4 bracket for my nepton 240m think I'm just going to sell the cooler and stick with the spire as temps never go above 55c and the fan alone about 800-1000rpm so it's virtually silent.

Very impressed with this cooler so far gonna throw some more cpu intensive benchmarks at it to see how it holds up.

Nachtmaer

After spending some time with the 1600 I don't think I'm going to bother ordering the am4 bracket for my nepton 240m think I'm just going to sell the cooler and stick with the spire as temps never go above 55c and the fan alone about 800-1000rpm so it's virtually silent.

Very impressed with this cooler so far gonna throw some more cpu intensive benchmarks at it to see how it holds up.

Most Spire reviews I've seen came to that conclusion as well. It's remarkably good as far as stock coolers go in general. The real reason why anyone should consider getting a decent third party one is when you start OCing and throwing like ~1.4V at it.

masterkajo

So do you oc at all? I am thinking of ocing my 1600. I am getting a 1080ti so the 1600 should bottleneck as little as possible which means as high an overclock that I can manage. Though I will not pump ludicrous amounts of Volts in my CPU for a 100MHz increase (eg from 3,9 to 4GHz).

Maybe I try to go as high on the stock cooler as possible and be happy with it. Or I can order the am4 bracket from cooler master for my hyper 212+. Though with the bracket it can only be mounted facing upward and I don't know if this will have negative effects on the temperature (I do have an exhaust fan on the top also).

Toe-Knee

So do you oc at all? I am thinking of ocing my 1600. I am getting a 1080ti so the 1600 should bottleneck as little as possible which means as high an overclock that I can manage. Though I will not pump ludicrous amounts of Volts in my CPU for a 100MHz increase (eg from 3,9 to 4GHz).

Maybe I try to go as high on the stock cooler as possible and be happy with it. Or I can order the am4 bracket from cooler master for my hyper 212+. Though with the bracket it can only be mounted facing upward and I don't know if this will have negative effects on the temperature (I do have an exhaust fan on the top also).

Do you have the ryzen master program? The only oc I've done was in there. No changes to voltage just put it to 4ghz and it crashed. 3.9ghz was absolutely fine and only resulted in a few degrees higher temps.

To be honest I haven't had enough time to really dig in as I have an 18 month old son who demands every second of my time.

Im hoping to get some free time tomorrow so I'll keep experimenting. Let me know how it goes for you but the spire seems to handle <4ghz fine

Do you have the ryzen master program? The only oc I've done was in there. No changes to voltage just put it to 4ghz and it crashed. 3.9ghz was absolutely fine and only resulted in a few degrees higher temps.

To be honest I haven't had enough time to really dig in as I have an 18 month old son who demands every second of my time.

Im hoping to get some free time tomorrow so I'll keep experimenting. Let me know how it goes for you but the spire seems to handle <4ghz fine

Is overclocking in Ryzen Master really that easy compared yo normally entering the BIOS? I just want to make sure it isn't a half-assed performance. I want to OC my 1700 to 3.85 or 3.9, but have never OC'd before. If RM is that simple, then I may just do that instead of going into the BIOS.

would a 400 watt power supply be enough for this ryzen 7 build? PC part picker says it wont go past 224. I dont plan on overclocking

b244s0t.jpg
Which power supply?

I'd personally go with at least 500W since pc partpicker likely isn't factoring XFR power usage and it gives you a better buffer in case you decide on a meatier GPU in the future.

Just remember, your power supply is not a part to cheap out on. There are good inexpensive ones out there, but there are tons of cheap fire hazards that could fry your system when they blow up on you.

Paragon

would a 400 watt power supply be enough for this ryzen 7 build? PC part picker says it wont go past 224. I dont plan on overclocking
http://i.imgur.com/b244s0t.jpg
400W seems low, though you do only have a GTX 750 Ti for the GPU.
Typically my UPS reports below 250W under load, though I was able to push it to 370W when running a CPU stress test and stressing the GPU at the same time.
That's with an R7-1700X running at 3.9GHz on all cores, and a GTX 1070.

Since power supplies are at their most efficient around 50% load, I would probably spec a 500-600W PSU just to be safe.
You don't want to be running a power supply near its limits if you can avoid it, and a low-power PSU limits your potential to upgrade later.
A power supply only draws what it needs. Running a 400W PSU or a 1000W PSU is not going to affect the power draw of your system in a meaningful way.

did i win the silicon lottery?
my 1600 made it to 3.950MHz with everything set at Auto
Really depends what sort of voltage "Auto" is putting to the chip under load. It should be less than 1.425V and I prefer to keep it below 1.35V.
Use Intel Burn Test on 'Maximum' for at least an hour or two to confirm whether the system is stable.

Steel

Banned
Is overclocking in Ryzen Master really that easy compared yo normally entering the BIOS? I just want to make sure it isn't a half-assed performance. I want to OC my 1700 to 3.85 or 3.9, but have never OC'd before. If RM is that simple, then I may just do that instead of going into the BIOS.

Before the most recent bios update on my MSI b350, Ryzen Master was the only way I could get 3200 mhz out of my DDR4 memory.

system in a meaningful way.

Really depends what sort of voltage "Auto" is putting to the chip under load. It should be less than 1.425V and I prefer to keep it below 1.35V.
Use Intel Burn Test on 'Maximum' for at least an hour or two to confirm whether the system is stable.

Vcore on Auto is usually absurdly high. At least check the value, before your cpu gets cooked with 1.5v

CPUZ shows 1.394 and 1.405 switching
I use Prime 95, but not yet a couple hour run

when i set the Voltage manually, will the chip still downclock and downvolt in idel states?

Before the most recent bios update on my MSI b350, Ryzen Master was the only way I could get 3200 mhz out of my DDR4 memory.

Ahhh ok. So, it's just as effective as going into the BIOS and doing it. Thank god. I was wondering how good it was. Does it automatically adjust the voltage on the CPU and RAM, or can I still manually change that?

Steel

Banned
Ahhh ok. So, it's just as effective as going into the BIOS and doing it. Thank god. I was wondering how good it was. Does it automatically adjust the voltage on the CPU and RAM, or can I still manually change that?

For CPU it's manual. For RAM, oddly enough you still have to change it in bios or leave it auto(I changed it in bios). Getting my ram to work at 3200 mhz was weird, suffice to say.

For CPU it's manual. For RAM, oddly enough you still have to change it in bios or leave it auto(I changed it in bios). Getting my ram to work at 3200 mhz was weird, suffice to say.

Nice! Well, hopefully the RAM part is fixed so that it can be OC'd in Ryzen Master soon. What's the normal base clock for RAM on Ryzen? 2133?

Considered starting a thread with this since it's good info for anyone looking to build a system, but wasn't sure it was thread-worthy:

PCWorld &#8212;&#8212; Intel expects CPU prices to fall now that AMD's Ryzen is here

·feist·;234985993 said:
On the plus side my 1700X is running at the same 4GHz as my 1800X, though it's not as cool (temporarily on air), and it isn't yet 100% stable.
That did not last long.

Either I have the leakiest/hottest 1700X, or this motherboard is faulty.

After being up for a handful of hours in total runtime, I switched from the dual tower Phanteks PH-TC14PE that was cooling it to a 280mm Alphacool Eisbaer water cooler + 2 Be Quiet! SilentWings 3 140mm PWM fans (highspeed version).

Thought the fan replacement would give me further cooling headroom since their max speed is higher than the stock Eisbaer fans and they're PWM which the stock fans aren't.

CPU temps seem fine (with at least ~10-20c safe headroom above observed "max"), though CPU Package temps regularly sit between ~55-60c idle, spiking to ~70c+ when multiple multi-thread programs are opened. CPU Package max easily runs into ~75-85c when a heavy CPU-dependent program or stress benchmark is run.

This is with only 1.38-1.4v on the CPU, though temp range doesn't seem to vary that greatly at stock clocks either, despite case cooling and airflow being more than sufficient. I don't see how it could be possible the GPU is causing heatsoak either. More than likely the issues are down to faulty motherboard sensors, which not only effect temp reporting but CPU performance as well, though I can't fully rule out a leaky CPU. If it's the latter that could be great for LN2 overclocking record runs, but less than ideal for 24/7 use on normal water or big air cooling.

One of the two components must be returned, but first I have to find time to remove my other CPU from its current build and drop it into this build to see if anything changes... great...

Paragon

Don't forget that the X chips have up to a 20C offset, so they're really 20C cooler under full load than is being reported. "85C" is really only 65C.
With an NH-D15, my 1700X at 3.9GHz and ~1.35V hits "73C" when running Intel Burn Test.
This is actually problematic for me because the Crosshair VI does not offset the temperatures for Q-Fan control, and if you exceed the maximum temperature the fans run at full speed.
The highest you can set the maximum is 75C so it's dangerously close to running the fans at full speed under heavy load. Once the ambient temperature gets a few degrees higher, that's probably going to happen.

Don't forget that the X chips have up to a 20C offset, so they're really 20C cooler under full load than is being reported. "85C" is really only 65C.
With an NH-D15, my 1700X at 3.9GHz and ~1.35V hits "73C" when running Intel Burn Test.
This is actually problematic for me because the Crosshair VI does not offset the temperatures for Q-Fan control, and if you exceed the maximum temperature the fans run at full speed.
The highest you can set the maximum is 75C so it's dangerously close to running the fans at full speed under heavy load. Once the ambient temperature gets a few degrees higher, that's probably going to happen.
They patched that out, but I can't remember if that was in the bios updates or in the chipset drivers.

Toe-Knee

Just a case of typing in the frequency you want. It will either crash or work. I haven't noticed any insane voltages happening or anything.

I don't know about other b350m motherboards but on the msi gaming pro there a bios bug that makes it take 10-15 seconds to post so it's frustrating going in and out of the bios which is why I looked into RM.

Paragon

They patched that out, but I can't remember if that was in the bios updates or in the chipset drivers.
They updated the Ryzen Master software to offset the temperature readings.
Anything else still reports temperatures 20C higher than the CPU is actually running at if it's reading Tctl.

Just a case of typing in the frequency you want. It will either crash or work. I haven't noticed any insane voltages happening or anything.

I don't know about other b350m motherboards but on the msi gaming pro there a bios bug that makes it take 10-15 seconds to post so it's frustrating going in and out of the bios which is why I looked into RM.

Thank god. That makes things so much easier to deal with. I am glad AMD created RM.

Pro tip: When overclocking a Ryzen chip on an X370 Gaming K4, DO NOT touch the CPU voltage setting in the Voltage Control section of the UEFI. Set the voltage up top, under the core clock speed, and that's it. Otherwise you get locked to 2.2GHz, no matter what voltage you put.

Also, setting the SOC voltage to 1.1 helps the RAM.

I'm looking to upgrade my old i5 2500k with a Ryzen 5 1600 and a new mobo and RAM.

My current specs are:

i5 2500k OC to 4GHZ
Biostar T277B Z77 Motherboard
16GB DDR3 1600mhz RAM
AMD Gigabyte RX 480 w/ 8GB GDDR5

The only thing I would keep out of the above system is the Rx480, which is an alright performer and is suited well enough for my needs. But I am thinking about ditching the Motherboard, CPU and RAM with a Ryzen 5 1600, whatever socket of mobo the CPU uses and 16+GB of DDR4. Does anyone think the upgrade would be worth it?

Renekton

I'm looking to upgrade my old i5 2500k with a Ryzen 5 1600 and a new mobo and RAM.

My current specs are:

i5 2500k OC to 4GHZ
16GB DDR3 1600mhz RAM

The only thing I would keep out of the above system is the Rx480, which is an alright performer and is suited well enough for my needs. But I am thinking about ditching the Motherboard, CPU and RAM with a Ryzen 5 1600, whatever socket of mobo the CPU uses and 16+GB of DDR4. Does anyone think the upgrade would be worth it?
Yeah the Ryzen 1600 offers a noticeable jump over older i5s and is a good value to boot.

Toe-Knee

My current specs are:

i5 2500k OC to 4GHZ
16GB DDR3 1600mhz RAM

Yeah. I went from a i5 4690k and 16gb dd3 2400mhz. And the upgrade had been huge. Massive performance benefits all round and im using a r9 290.

Top Bottom