• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD's Lisa Su confirms next-gen PlayStation to have Zen 2 and Navi

Shin

Banned
7nm design through and through and I split this as it has been up in the air for a while now as to what would be used.
Many thought it would be the first Zen (14nm) or Zen+ (12nm) the refresh, but now it's been officially confirmed to be Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000 in the desktop space).
It's an all new CPU and GPU with the former set to be released for the desktop within the next few months, this means Sony and potentially Microsoft got dibs if the Zen 2 in the next-gen consoles are mobile variants.
State of the art from the processor to graphics processor to fabrication process node, it should make for an interesting next-generation.

SonGoku

MONSTER incoming.
Many thought it would be the first Zen (14nm) or Zen+ (12nm) the refresh
By any chance are these the same people that thought 11TF and 16GB GDDR6? :p
this means Sony and potentially Microsoft got dibs if the Zen 2 in the next-gen consoles are mobile variants.
Your wording is not very clear on this part, care to elaborate?

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Its good knowing this. Now it is to see if Navi has some juice. The RT support is interesting too, likely a GCN based variant and not an RTX equivalent, though. But who knows.

SonGoku

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
MONSTER incoming.

By any chance are these the same people that thought 11TF and 16GB GDDR6? :p

Your wording is not very clear on this part, care to elaborate?

The first part is comments on this site, the other forum and/or articles.
In regards to the mobile variation normally or how things have been is desktop > mobile (laptops) but it looks like the console might debut with the mobile CPU before laptops do or around the same time at the very least.
They are quite slow with the mobile CPU TBH because there's the normal version which comes out 1 year+ after the desktop counterpart then there's the business mobile version "Pro".

Last edited:

SonGoku

In regards to the mobile variation normally or how things have been is desktop > mobile (laptops) but it looks like the console might debut with the mobile CPU before laptops do or around the same time at the very least.
They are quite slow with the mobile CPU TBH because there's the normal version which comes out 1 year+ after the desktop counterpart then there's the business mobile version "Pro".
But how do we know they are going to use mobile variant, APU limitation?

dolabla

Does this mean an announcement at least is coming pretty soon with someone officially confirming actual parts of the next PlayStation? Give us an announcement, Sony!

Shin

Banned
But how do we know they are going to use mobile variant, APU limitation?
We don't but it's at the forefront of choices because of TDP plus physical size and a plethora of other things that goes into consideration.
Since it's an APU (custom one at that) the size matters a lot, the bigger the die the pricier it gets from what I understand but that's as how far my knowledge go.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Does this mean an announcement at least is coming pretty soon with someone officially confirming actual parts of the next PlayStation? Give us an announcement, Sony!

I think they're just getting this out of the way before E3. I think they have things planned for E3 week.

Desktop Zen2 is out in 3 months or so and next gen consoles around autumn or holidays 2020 so yea as usual for mobile chips a year later. Nothing out of the ordinary? If you're talking about dev kits - they can use a downclocked desktop part but instead of 4,8 GHz run it at 3,2 GHz and it will give you very close performance to mobile part that will be used for consoles in 2020.

Kenpachii

Nice to see consoles getting the BEST possible mobile processor and not lowest end like this gen, but we kind of new that it will be Zen2 + Navi two years ago.

The best thing is that devs will now have absolutely no excuse to not having at least a 60 fps mode in ALL every single one of their games next gen.

Thing aint going for 60 fps. maybe cross gen titles but that's it. It's going to tank hard on the fps as everything is against them on this front. A faster CPu will also result in more load on the GPU, 4k resolution will choke the gpu to the end of the world. Add more complexity with it gg.

It's going to be the PS4 all over again.

Last edited:
At least 60 fps? no. Its always gonna come down to what devs are aiming for, not how powerful the hardware is.
I meant give 60 fps MODE in every single game not full fledged 4K 60fps, even though I'm sure some games will do 4K 60 as well. Devs will absolutely have no excuse to not have 60 fps mode come next gen now other than "sorry we're too lazy to include checkeboard 60fps or lower rez 60 fps mode in our game. We don't care about smooth gaming".

PocoJoe

Banned
Nice to see consoles getting the BEST possible mobile processor and not lowest end like this gen, but we kind of new that it will be Zen2 + Navi two years ago.

The best thing is that devs will now have absolutely no excuse to not having at least a 60 fps mode in ALL every single one of their games next gen.

They dont need excuses to have MAX 60fps on consoles, anything above that is just waste of resources.

Stable 30fps is perfectly enough for most console games anyway, those that cant handle it can stay in their PC 144fps world.

4k AND 60fps = games wont look much different vs current gen.

IMO best choise would be 1080p + option for 30/60fps anyway. 4k just kills the graphical jump and is just waste of pixels.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God

Every game ever could be 60fps if the developers works in that way. The graphics could be not that great, but won't be that bad either

Bryank75

Banned
Thing aint going for 60 fps. maybe cross gen titles but that's it. It's going to tank hard on the fps as everything is against them on this front. A faster CPu will also result in more load on the GPU, 4k resolution will choke the gpu to the end of the worth. Add more complexity with it gg.

It's going to be the PS4 all over again.
They will probably have a performance mode and a graphics mode.... trust them to work out any bottlenecks, they have good hardware people.

Reactions: TLZ

Mastahbruce

Neo Member

Most games still won't be 60fps. Devs will always try and push graphics over performance on consoles.

Jayjayhd34

Sorry but 30fps only games are not not going disappear just because of this news

FranXico

Sounds good. The most important issue to me was BC with PS4 software, and they have pretty much confirmed it by now.

I meant to say devs will have zero excuse to not have 60 fps MODE in every game now with Zen 2. Graphics can still be fantastic on CB 4K 60fps mode. And then you can have your usual blurry laggy native 4K 30fps.

Reactions: TLZ

Shin

Banned
I meant to say devs will have zero excuse to not have 60 fps MODE in every game now with Zen 2. Graphics can still be fantastic on CB 4K 60fps mode. And then you can have your usual blurry laggy native 4K 30fps.
I believe Ryzen 5 1600x (desktop, Zen, 1st gen) could do 60FPS with Assassin's Creed (forgot which version).
The mobile part should be around that if not exceed it's performance (assumption) so if we're going all out then they should go all out and not just focus on graphics.
As for the mobile CPU if the console launches in March as have been said by some leakers then that would be before the laptops, if it launches in November then that will be around the time the laptop ones come out as well.

Last edited:
I believe Ryzen 5 1600x (desktop, Zen, 1st gen) could do 60FPS with Assassin's Creed (forgot which version).
The mobile part should be around that if not exceed it's performance (assumption) so if we're going all out then they should go all out and not just focus on graphics.
As for the mobile CPU if the console launches in March as have been said by some leakers then that would be before the laptops, if it launches in November then that will be around the time the laptop ones come out as well.
Yep and that game is one of the most demanding on cpu out there. Plus it's 8 core 16 thread that will go into consoles R5 was 6c12t. Devs are getting better and better at utilizing more threads. Many game engines supported multiple cores for years it's mostly just this gen that devs started programing games to support 6-8 threads out of necessity.

Last edited:

SonGoku

I meant give 60 fps MODE in every single game not full fledged 4K 60fps
So a 1080p 60 fps mode? I could see that happening, though keep in mind some games designed with 30fps in mind might break at 60 fps (animations)
Some games might also push the cpu to the limit at 30fps and dropping rez won't do you any good.

A 1080 60fps optional mode might become a thing for some games, but not all games will be able to support it.

Shin

Banned
So this thing will be at least 12 TFs right?
Well that's the interesting thing, the first Gonzalo leak was at 1GHz but the latest version I posted was running at 1.67 or 1.8GHz
I'm assuming that the sample was used in early dev kits to pure as a sample and the qualifying sample that recently showed up is more akin to what's in the dev-kits at least or the retail box.
Since devs already have dev-kits (as per the Wired article) and Cerny said 8K graphics so...it's happening.gif?

ZywyPL

Banned
Nothing we didn't know already. Hell, at this point we basically know the final specs of PS5/XB2, except for the clocks. That being said, Mark Cerny has also been quite open on what to expect from PS5:
https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/

RT:
The CPU is based on the third generation of AMD’s Ryzen line and contains eight cores of the company’s new 7nm Zen 2 microarchitecture. The GPU, a custom variant of Radeon’s Navi family, will support ray tracing, a technique that models the travel of light to simulate complex interactions in 3D environments.

3D Audio:
A custom unit for 3D audio is also going to be included in the console.

"As a gamer, it’s been a little bit of a frustration that audio did not change too much between PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4. With the next console the dream is to show how dramatically different the audio experience can be when we apply significant amounts of hardware horsepower to it."

Storage:
The drive found in the current dev kit cuts load times considerably, and Cerny confirmed that it has raw bandwidth higher than any SSD available.

To demonstrate, Cerny fires up a PS4 Pro playing Spider-Man, a 2018 PS4 exclusive that he worked on alongside Insomniac Games. On the TV, Spidey stands in a small plaza. Cerny presses a button on the controller, initiating a fast-travel interstitial screen. When Spidey reappears in a totally different spot in Manhattan, 15 seconds have elapsed. Then Cerny does the same thing on a next-gen devkit connected to a different TV. What took 15 seconds now takes less than one: 0.8 seconds, to be exact.

BC:
"Because it’s based in part on the PS4’s architecture, it will also be backward-compatible with games for that console."

More at the link. The HDD part is what actually makes me (finally) excited about next-gen consoles, But looking at the general specs, this could quite possibly be the generation, where we will finally get a proper, balanced systems, where one parts are not being bottlenecked by the other.

Jon Neu

Banned
4k AND 60fps = games wont look much different vs current gen.

IMO best choise would be 1080p + option for 30/60fps anyway. 4k just kills the graphical jump and is just waste of pixels.

4K is going to be 2K with checkerboarding most of the time. Most people can't tell the difference.

The graphical leap is probably going to be bigger than the one we had going from PS3 to PS4.

Armorian

Banned
In glorious 8K mate, system seller and show stealer all in one.
I can't wait :messenger_loudly_crying:

Game "X" renders in 4K/60 fps on 14TF console - for 8K/60 fps console needs to have 56TF GPU, half of that for 30 fps.

There will be 8K output and maybe some native 2D games but I doubt even Pro version (2024?) will have any native AAA games.

4K is going to be 2K with checkerboarding most of the time. Most people can't tell the difference.

The graphical leap is probably going to be bigger than the one we had going from PS3 to PS4.

2K is 1080p, you mean 1440p - yeah, there will be many games with technology similiar to DLSS.

Last edited:

hunthunt

Banned
I can foresee Sony showing off a PlayStation 5 teaser of a couple of minutes with footage of Death Stranding, The Last of Us 2, Horizon Zero Dawn 2, Gran Turismo 7, Ghost Tsushima and Spiderman all in their glorious next gen 4k form... the night of the Microsoft E3 conference.

They can easily make it happen and would be hilarious.

Last edited:

FranXico

I can foresee Sony showing off a PlayStation 5 teaser of a couple of minutes with footage of Death Stranding, The Last of Us 2, Horizon Zero Dawn 2, Gran Turismo 7, Ghost Tsushima and Spiderman all in their glorious next gen 4k form... the night of the Microsoft E3 conference.

They can easily make it happen and would be hilarious.
Not during, but a good 10 minutes right before the MS conference starts. Would be bold, but a bit of a dick move.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
IMO I disagree with this. 4K is awesome. However, I am perfectly okay with a drop to 1800p for better performance.

Shin

Banned
Not during, but a good 10 minutes right before the MS conference starts. Would be bold, but a bit of a dick move.
No better the companies do that kind of stuff so WE can laugh it off instead of US fighting each other over dumb shit.
I'd like to see them fight for our dollars as every company should, plus it's cheap marketing for them.

Kenpachii

They will probably have a performance mode and a graphics mode.... trust them to work out any bottlenecks, they have good hardware people.

There is nothing to work out unless they implement something that allows you to upgrade to a faster box where the base box is the focus for. Thing will be maxed out the moment it launches. Much like the base PS4 was because the architecture is well known and people will utilize it straight out of the gate.

So this thing will be at least 12 TFs right?

10 / 12 / 14 amd tflops doesn't matter it's all relative weak for next gen anyway. If they honestly wanted to push things further they should have moved more towards nvidia at this point and get there future flag ship card rammed into a bigger box.

If this thing launches next year end of the year the gpu performance is already going to be 4 years old at that time.

Nothing we didn't know already. Hell, at this point we basically know the final specs of PS5/XB2, except for the clocks. That being said, Mark Cerny has also been quite open on what to expect from PS5:
https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/

More at the link. The HDD part is what actually makes me (finally) excited about next-gen consoles, But looking at the general specs, this could quite possibly be the generation, where we will finally get a proper, balanced systems, where one parts are not being bottlenecked by the other.

Just throw a ssd in your playstation right now and have the same experience.

hunthunt

Banned

In these times where everyone is talking about streaming that would be fantastic for the industry and console makers. A move like that wouldnt hurt anyone except for some people's egos and would have all the world talking about the new Xbox vs Playstation battle.

Woo-Fu

Banned

They'll have the same reason they always have, spending the horsepower budget on something else. What you need to understand about software is that it grows to fit its environment. If you give a developer a 5-pound bag he'll try to put 10 pounds of shit into it. Giving him a 10-pound bag isn't going to help, he'll just try to put 20 pounds of shit into it.

It isn't a matter of hardware holding people back, it is a matter of them having different priorities than you do.

Top Bottom