• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD's Radeon Navi Review Thread: Series 5700.

ethomaz

Banned
Oh, please. 5700 beats Turing counterparts on efficiency AND performance.
And is cheaper.
And has better min fps.

Unlike super cards, chuckle?
Anti-lag feature is nice.
Nedded 7nm to that lol... it just shows they are way behind yet and not matching so my comments is true.
They are forced to price cut.
False... it has worst mins fps but of course you will say it is drivers ;)

The last commends makes no sense lol

Last edited:

llien

Nedded 7nm to that lol...
That's EARLY 7nm vs mature 12nm.
That's the way AMD acted most of its history, that's the way nvidia acted (waiting for process to mature and get cheaper) most of the time.

VII was also 7nm, simple die shrink doesn't cut it.

Yeah... but nope, 5700 beats both 2070 and 2060 super at 99th percentile.

GvDq1PY.png
ODEsEkF.png

5700 also beats 2060, 2060super, 2070, 2070super at power efficiency

performance-per-watt_1920-1080.png

Indeeds lol.

Last edited:
I might be swayed to get a 5700X if the AIB cards end up being good and well priced against 2070 Super. In truth I'd rather get something faster than 2080 but I'm not interested in paying that much. I could perhaps make a temporary stop here with a 5700X or 2070 Super if I could get a good deal in a month or two, and upgrade again next year once AMD's high end and Nvidia's 7nm is out. I'm just not sure when that'll happen. TBH I'd probably be better off just waiting until CP2077 is coming out, as I don't have that much need for performance for most of the games I play right now, and my 1070 is adequate, and I'd kinda feel bad if the performance wasn't doubling at least. But perhaps a low enough price tag would entice me to try out a 5700X temporarily. I actually have an Accelero Twin Turbo I could use for a cooler for a cheap reference card once they drop in price, if I just knew whether it'll fit.

Navi seems a bit iffy to me, and doesn't give me a lot of confidence that RDNA will be able to compete in the future once Nvidia gets its 7nm cards out. Hopefully AMD has plenty of low hanging fruits to pick with their new architecture when moving to the supposed full RDNA card with raytracing.

Oh, please. 5700 beats Turing counterparts on efficiency AND performance.
And is cheaper.
And has better min fps.

Unlike super cards, chuckle?
Anti-lag feature is nice.
They should be cheaper... they're coming almost a year later and with less features.
They should be more efficient... they're on a smaller process node.
They should have better performance... they're not "wasting die space" on ray tracing.

Super cards are a refresh... not a brand new architecture. If we're comparing innovation between Turing and Navi?

Turing:
Ray Tracing
Mesh Shaders
Variable Rate Shading
DLSS

Navi
Uhh
FidelityFX sharpening filters
Umm
Anti lag? lol

AMD fans crack me up. By the time the next gen consoles get here late next year, AMD fans are going to be bragging about their versions of every single one of those Nvidia features.. while nobody will continue to give a fuck about FidelityFX and anti lag rofl.

ethomaz

Banned
That's EARLY 7nm vs mature 12nm.
That's the way AMD acted most of its history, that's the way nvidia acted (waiting for process to mature and get cheaper) most of the time.

VII was also 7nm, simple die shrink doesn't cut it.

Yeah... but nope, 5700 beats both 2070 and 2060 super at 99th percentile.

GvDq1PY.png
ODEsEkF.png

5700 also beats 2060, 2060super, 2070, 2070super at power efficiency

performance-per-watt_1920-1080.png

Indeeds lol.
Early 7nm vs mature 12nm... what a joke kkkkk... next time you will say 12nm (that is actually 16nm++ marketed as 12nm) is better than 7nm :D :D :D

Yeap... yes.

XiFRnAEJGXGT2BdJgSWXhe-650-80.png
YwVEKGSkEzfzo9ykYcdkHo-650-80.png
2Ah92FHMDqqqzz58mUyWeH-650-80.png

1562576267-vdcjo9syrkm5eclh7q6bkh-650-802.png
1562576321-syuv47b6fxkdoz9r3ugfkh-650-802.png
1562576229-u5srmsiynwu2mqqjthgchh-650-802.png

xco4ohHWEzYiKMYqb8QrfH-1200-80.png
nCaVkH9CAWyR8jTbNaJmfH-650-80.png
HabzWqyaGddSnvjnCUVufH-650-80.png

8U3Hv92Q9JeisQGbeAvWnH-650-80.png
uxzCTpxJ6AuifJhsZh7gpH-650-80.png
D6V5LtkaWaZ72YcnUKHSjH-650-80.png

3fMY9PnwwakhL9wTRagNiH-650-80.png
2pviHa9tYZ6PEwZekECetH-650-80.png
99ey66Je5VSvfNmHNeB5WA-650-80.png

Indeed.

joe_zazen

They should be cheaper... they're coming almost a year later and with less features.
They should have better performance... they're not "wasting die space" on ray tracing.

Super cards are a refresh... not a brand new architecture. If we're comparing innovation between Turing and Navi?

Turing:
Ray Tracing
Mesh Shaders
Variable Rate Shading
DLSS

Navi
Uhh
FidelityFX sharpening filters
Umm
Anti lag? lol

AMD fans crack me up. By the time the next gen consoles get here late next year, AMD fans are going to be bragging about their versions of every single one of those Nvidia features.. while nobody will continue to give a fuck about FidelityFX and anti lag rofl.

Gpu fans are a funny lot period.

I do find nvidia fans tend towards the obnoxious though. Underdog supporters are generally nicer people.

llien

So was Vega VII.

Eh, nope, that's not how comparing chips of different sizes and different number of transistors work.

Super cards are a refresh... not a brand new architecture.
Supers are rebranded savaged higher tier chip. 2060 super is savaged 2070, etc.
Call it whatever pleases you.

If we're comparing innovation
I normally compare perf/power consumption and price, but that's me.
Sometimes penis size also matters.
Does Jenseng Huang have a bigger penis than Lisa Su?
I'd hope so.

Anti lag? lol
You mean "I don't get what/how it does it"?

It reduces response time to your action and quite notably.

Ob6W5g7.jpg

Early 7nm vs mature 12nm... what a joke...
What on planet earth is this supposed to even mean?
I realize that for some weird reason AMD rolling out great products hurts you, but this is getting annoying.

ethomaz

Banned
What on planet earth is this supposed to even mean?
I realize that for some weird reason AMD rolling out great products hurts you, but this is getting annoying.
It means that your comment was a joke... nothing related with AMD.

You laughable tried to make 12nm better than 7nm to fit your agenda :D :D :D :D

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Yeap look at The Last Word and llien examples :D

I dont understand what the issue is. Amd invested in getting 7nm cards out 1 year before nvidia and priced them in a logical way based on market conditions in order to maximise ROI. Is this embarrassing or something? Should they close down their gpu division because a 2080 gets more fraps, and future Nvidia products will be even more frap-y? Like what i am missing here? Do i need to treat gpu companies like sports teams? Should i buy a T-shirt and and an air horn to cheer them on?

Edit:
It means that your comment was a joke... nothing related with AMD.

You laughable tried to make 12nm better than 7nm to fit your agenda :D :D :D :D

Oh, i get it.

Last edited:
So was Vega VII.

Eh, nope, that's not how comparing chips of different sizes and different number of transistors work.

Supers are rebranded savaged higher tier chip. 2060 super is savaged 2070, etc.
Call it whatever pleases you.

I normally compare perf/power consumption and price, but that's me.
Sometimes penis size also matters.
Does Jenseng Huang have a bigger penis than Lisa Su?
I'd hope so.
So are you saying that because Vega VII wasn't more efficient than Vega 64 that 7nm isn't more efficient than 12nm? lmao Vega VII has 2x more memory than Vega 64.. not to mention higher clocks.

There's a reason why I put "wasting die space on RT" in quotes... They should have better performance regardless... they're coming almost a year later with a brand new architecture.

Supers are what they are... You made it sound like they were meant to bring new features to market when they weren't. Turing already did that. Ironically the Supers ARE in fact bringing about as much innovation as AMD's Navi... which is to say... about 0. What architectural improvements are they bringing specific to Navi? FidelityFX works on Nvidia gpus ffs.. and Anti lag works on GCN as well. That means Navi has nothing that makes it special from other Radeon GCN products.

Really? But you were just commenting on comparing innovation...

And nice little comment there... you must be a child.

Last edited:

psn

And nice little comment there... you must be a child.

Dude, seriously, it's time to stop. Reread your comments. Not a single human being here takes you serious.

As a normal user with Intel + Nvidia: Sorry for that guy.

Why can't a person with no horse in this race make an honest observation about the superiority of on architecture over the other?

Yeah, you sure sound like the rational objective poster you try to immitate here.

Dude, seriously, it's time to stop. Reread your comments. Not a single human being here takes you serious.

As a normal user with Intel + Nvidia: Sorry for that guy.

Yeah, you sure sound like the rational objective poster you try to immitate here.
Ok "PSN" rofl

What am I saying that is childish? I'm calling out people acting like AMD has hit some huge achievement here matching almost year old Nvidia parts on a new architecture on a new process node. Am I name calling people? Am I talking about penises and stupid shit like that? No. If what I'm saying is getting under your skin it's because you might be a child yourself.

I'm so glad you felt the need to point out that you're an Intel + Nvidia guy... so that nobody would accuse you of being an AMD fanboy rofl. You're like that JohnnyFootball guy that has to point out every other post that he has a 2080ti so he knows that RTX sucks and anything below that is unplayable trash... PLEASE :rolleyes:

I am a rational poster. Objectively there's nothing impressive about these GPUs.

I mean, if we give Nvidia the advantage of a new architecture, a new process node, and coming about year later... are you seriously expecting Nvidia to not completely demolish whatever competition is out there?? lmao

These cards are NOT impressive. The only reason why these fanboys are happy is because they were patient and AMD FINALLY got around to getting them cards that are competitive again.

Naglafar

That 5700XT is awfully tempting to upgrade from my 1060 6GB. Looks like it will do 4K60 on doom eternal?

Last edited:

Ascend

I'm calling out people acting like AMD has hit some huge achievement here matching almost year old Nvidia parts on a new architecture on a new process node.
Actually, it consistently beats the year old parts at the same or cheaper price. nVidia did a refresh, which is still beaten in performance per dollar.

I am a rational poster. Objectively there's nothing impressive about these GPUs.
A GPU using less power than an RX 590, while basically matching the Radeon VII with the same clock speed, 33% less compute units, at a $399 price point is nothing impressive... Uhuh...
A 1080 Ti at a $399 price point is nothing impressive... Uhuh...
5% less performance than the 2070 Super for 25% less money is nothing impressive... Uhuh...

Those are definitely not objective facts... You're definitely the most rational person around here... :messenger_smirking:

I mean, if we give Nvidia the advantage of a new architecture,
Which is what they got when they released Maxwell, and Pascal, and Turing while AMD was still on GCN... If you want to use that argument, nVidia got a triple advantage there. Not exactly great if AMD can catch up with one upgraded architecture...

a new process node, and coming about year later...
The super cards also came a year later. So what?
The process node is immature at this point, so that really is not THAT big of an argument. The Radeon VII was also on a new process node. That didn't help it, now did it?

These cards are NOT impressive.
Sounds like you're repeating yourself just so that you yourself can start believing it.

The only reason why these fanboys are happy is because they were patient and AMD FINALLY got around to getting them cards that are competitive again.
Oh so you do admit that they are competitive. Also, what I learned is that the ones that are the quickest to call others fanboys are most of the time fanboys themselves.

Last edited:

jonnyp

Nedded 7nm to that lol... it just shows they are way behind yet and not matching so my comments is true.
They are forced to price cut.

That's on 7nm DUV and only 40CUs. What do you think performance will be on EUV and 64 CUs and beyond?

Actually, it consistently beats the year old parts at the same or cheaper price. nVidia did a refresh, which is still beaten in performance per dollar.

A GPU using less power than an RX 590, while basically matching the Radeon VII with the same clock speed, 33% less compute units, at a $399 price point is nothing impressive... Uhuh...
A 1080 Ti at a $399 price point is nothing impressive... Uhuh...
5% less performance than the 2070 Super for 25% less money is nothing impressive... Uhuh...

Those are definitely not objective facts... You're definitely the most rational person around here... :messenger_smirking:

Which is what they got when they released Maxwell, and Pascal, and Turing while AMD was still on GCN... If you want to use that argument, nVidia got a triple advantage there. Not exactly great if AMD can catch up with one upgraded architecture...

The super cards also came a year later. So what?
The process node is immature at this point, so that really is not THAT big of an argument. The Radeon VII was also on a new process node. That didn't help it, now did it?

Sounds like you're repeating yourself just so that you yourself can start believing it.

Oh so you do admit that they are competitive. Also, what I learned is that the ones that are the quickest to call others fanboys are most of the time fanboys themselves.
I'd love to continue to argue with you.. but I can't deal with this separately quoting every sentence bullshit.

Looking at the context... no there's nothing impressive about these cards. They're more efficient... because it's a new architecture on a new node... if it wasn't more efficient than their old shit that would be embarrassing. They're BARELY more efficient than Nvidia's old shit. They're more performant... again for the same reasons... They're coming almost a year later...

What exactly is impressive about this? Things get better the longer you wait... no shit. AMD fans are always waiting. High end AMD fans are waiting for RDNA Next... and 5800/5900 cards... They're waiting for Ray tracing.. they're always waiting and are never competitive when we need them to be. This is why Nvidia does what it wants. That's facts. It's always too little too late for AMD.

What is impressive about that???

Ascend

I'd love to continue to argue with you.. but I can't deal with this separately quoting every sentence bullshit.

Looking at the context... no there's nothing impressive about these cards. They're more efficient... because it's a new architecture on a new node... if it wasn't more efficient than their old shit that would be embarrassing. They're BARELY more efficient than Nvidia's old shit. They're more performant... again for the same reasons... They're coming almost a year later...

What exactly is impressive about this? Things get better the longer you wait... no shit. AMD fans are always waiting. High end AMD fans are waiting for RDNA Next... and 5800/5900 cards... They're waiting for Ray tracing.. they're always waiting and are never competitive when we need them to be. This is why Nvidia does what it wants. That's facts. It's always too little too late for AMD.

What is impressive about that???
Still completely ignoring that the Radeon VII was also on a new node, and ignoring that Turing is also a new architecture...

What's impressive is your ability to ignore the facts that suit your needs just so you can push your biased views.

shoegaze

I absolutely don't have skin in the game, I never had a PC, I use a 6 year old laptop at home which I don't know the specs of, and I am absolutely baffled by Nvidia fanboys. What the fuck is this brand allegiance. Every consumer of pc parts should be overjoyed if competition is gaining some traction and forcing other players hand. There's no way you can loose from this. It's a win win. Get conscious of your tribal biases for god's sake, you're working overtime against everyone's interests.

Still completely ignoring that the Radeon VII was also on a new node, and ignoring that Turing is also a new architecture...

What's impressive is your ability to ignore the facts that suit your needs just so you can push your biased views.
Radeon 7 being a flop had nothing to do with 7nm. There's distinct advantages of being on a smaller process node. It's hilarious that you're trying to downplay them because.... Vega 7 sucked.

Ascend

Radeon 7 being a flop had nothing to do with 7nm. There's distinct advantages of being on a smaller process node. It's hilarious that you're trying to downplay them because.... Vega 7 sucked.
So it was not a 7nm gpu then?

You can't have it both ways...

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The fact that this thread is littered with nVidia fanboys to downplay and badmouth these cards says enough. These cards are a success.

Basically. Why does this GPU card fight have to be so silly? Why can't we enjoy GPU advancements from both teams?

I absolutely don't have skin in the game, I never had a PC, I use a 6 year old laptop at home which I don't know the specs of, and I am absolutely baffled by Nvidia fanboys. What the fuck is this brand allegiance. Every consumer of pc parts should be overjoyed if competition is gaining some traction and forcing other players hand. There's no way you can loose from this. It's a win win. Get conscious of your tribal biases for god's sake, you're working overtime against everyone's interests.
It's not about the hating on the cards for what they are... it's about people acting like AMD is ahead.. when they're really that far behind that barely matching another company's old stuff despite having distinct advantages is considered impressive.

If they stopped acting like this shit was so impressive, nobody would be saying shit.

Ascend

It's not about the hating on the cards for what they are... it's about people acting like AMD is ahead.. when they're really that far behind that barely matching another company's old stuff despite having distinct advantages is considered impressive.

If they stopped acting like this shit was so impressive, nobody would be saying shit.
Typical... Blaming others for one's own behavior... Know what that's called? Narcissism.

In their price and performance range, AMD IS ahead. Live with it.

Which you won't notice and is completely irrelevant, when you buy the card for cheaper than the competition, install it, and actually play games with it.

Shocking. I know.
Yep.. while completely ignoring the implications of it.. yet you seem to love arguing on online forums about it.

See... it has implications for the future. Implications which suggest that Nvidia is going to come out with a 7nm part which will smoke these cards... and they'll charge what they want for it... AGAIN. Why? Because AMD can't compete with them at the same time when those factors are equal. It's like you're completely missing the point of why I'm bringing it up. AMD isn't forcing Nvidia to change with these launches... because they aren't competitive when they need to be. AMD is behind.. .and when their new stuff basically only catches up to their competition's old stuff... then they aren't LEADING anything and aren't bringing about change.

Congrats to the few people who will buy these GPUs with less features a year later at a cheaper price.. Most people will again upgrade when Nvidia releases their new products which completely outclass their old stuff.

I'd love nothing more than for AMD to hit me with another "9700pro"... but they don't really seem capable of it. A $100 cheaper card a year later doesn't interest me at all. Especially when I know that Nvidia's next card will demolish it soon enough. What can AMD fans look forward to after that? Another AMD card which merely catches them up... a year later..

Last edited:

Ascend

Yep.. while completely ignoring the implications of it.. yet you seem to love arguing on online forums about it.

See... it has implications for the future. Implications which suggest that Nvidia is going to come out with a 7nm part which will smoke these cards... and they'll charge what they want for it... AGAIN. Why? Because AMD can't compete with them at the same time when those factors are equal. It's like you're completely missing the point of why I'm bringing it up. AMD isn't forcing Nvidia to change with these launches... because they aren't competitive when they need to be. AMD is behind.. .and when their new stuff basically only catches up to their competition's old stuff... then they aren't LEADING anything and aren't bringing about change.

Congrats to the few people who will buy these GPUs with less features a year later at a cheaper price.. Most people will again upgrade when Nvidia releases their new products which completely outclass their old stuff.

I'd love nothing more than for AMD to hit me with another "9700pro"... but they don't really seem capable of it. A $100 cheaper card a year later doesn't interest me at all. Especially when I know that Nvidia's next card will demolish it soon enough. What can AMD fans look forward to after that? Another AMD card which merely catches them up... a year later..
Let me get this straight...

Since AMD are a year later, you're not interested in their cards, but, because nVidia will be 'winning' again in the future, it is better to wait, most likely over a year, to get their cards instead? Cool story bro.

We're done here.

Last edited:

The Skull

5700xt looks great. Obviously gonna get an AIB model but hoping this is enough of an effect to start combating Nvidia and bring some real price wars.

Let me get this straight...

Since AMD are a year later, you're not interested in their cards, but, because nVidia will be 'winning' again in the future, it is better to wait, most likely over a year, to get their cards instead? Cool story bro.

We're done here.
Yes. Does that not make sense to you? The next release AMD won't have a process node drop to fall back on.

I mean, if you can't tell the difference between AMD being first to a new process node and completely demolishing the competition and AMD being first to a new process node and then MATCHING the competition a year later... then there's no helping you. That is why AMD is the budget "me too" company.

You think Nvidia's next cards are over a year away still? lol ok. If they are then it's because Navi is even less competition than we thought.

We ARE done here. Enjoy your year later $100 cheaper card with less features. :messenger_bicep:

manfestival

Seems like the NAVI lineup is actually pretty worthy of picking up for those that are not already too invested in "good enough" GPUs already.

However, my personal thing that I want to ask since this seems like the right place to ask is why should I as a "casual" consumer care whether the GPU being 7nm or 14 or whatever size? These factors are important of course for pushing technology forward but why would that be a selling point for someone like me? I always see this buzz marketing thrown around against intel for their chipsets as well. I always just look at bottom line performance and familiarity for making my purchasing decisions. Can someone explain if there is even something to care about at all from someone in my perspective?

Seems like the NAVI lineup is actually pretty worthy of picking up for those that are not already too invested in "good enough" GPUs already.

However, my personal thing that I want to ask since this seems like the right place to ask is why should I as a "casual" consumer care whether the GPU being 7nm or 14 or whatever size? These factors are important of course for pushing technology forward but why would that be a selling point for someone like me? I always see this buzz marketing thrown around against intel for their chipsets as well. I always just look at bottom line performance and familiarity for making my purchasing decisions. Can someone explain if there is even something to care about at all from someone in my perspective?

The only thing that matters is performance and price.

What do you want to play? What kind of performance do you want? How much do you want to spend? That's all.

Ascend

You see no difference as the end user, and there's nothing to suggest you should care about those details. The lower process node like 7nm means that the chips can be smaller, produce less heat, and clock higher than if the same product was made at 12/14nm. But as an end-product, it really does not matter at all. The product is what it is. Get what satisfies your needs for the money you are willing to spend.

Which is exactly why whatever Remij is saying is completely irrelevant at this point in time. Only blowing smoke.

Last edited:
Reactions: psn
Which is exactly why whatever Remij is saying is completely irrelevant at this point in time. Only blowing smoke.
No it's not. Am I sitting here telling people they shouldn't buy these GPUs?? Or am I sitting here calling people out who are bragging that these GPUs are competitive cheaper GPUs with less features almost a year later like as if it's some sort of huge accomplishment for AMD?

Stop acting like they are impressive. They are arguably less than what a person should expect a year later from a new architecture on a smaller process node. That's why I'm not impressed. You know what would impress me? AMD coming with GPUs 25% faster than Nvidia in the same categories while being more efficient and having more features... releasing within 3-6 months of Nvidia at most.

As AMD fans.. you're impressed.. because AMD finally has competitive GPUs again in that segment. As an Nvidia fan.. it's like... what's impressive about this?

Yea yea... regular consumers don't care, right? Except it's clear they do because this strategy hasn't helped AMD gain back any market share from Nvidia. Nvidia has the mind share... and it's going to take a lot more than this to bring about change... which is my whole point. AMD doesn't need to match Nvidia a year later... they need to beat them right around launch time.

Last edited:

Ascend

If you buy a ryzen 3000 CPU, you get $50 off from the 5700XT at MicroCenter.

Last edited:

Nero_PR

Banned
5700 > 2060 (comfortably at better price)
5700XT > 2060S and 2070 (better at better price)

Thats all there is to it. I cant wait for a year or two for AMD to finally pump some of that R&D money from ZEN to put some fight to Nvidia because it was getting out of the hand.

Probably rare sight to see worse companies for consumers then Intel and Nvidia.
Are saying that you don't want a monopoly from Nvidia cards? How unpretentious of you....

FireFly

Stop acting like they are impressive. They are arguably less than what a person should expect a year later from a new architecture on a smaller process node. That's why I'm not impressed. You know what would impress me? AMD coming with GPUs 25% faster than Nvidia in the same categories while being more efficient and having more features... releasing within 3-6 months of Nvidia at most.
AMD has been behind in performance per mm2 since the GTX 970 launched in 2014. The Vega 64, which launched a year late, was a 495 mm2 chip, and could barely beat Nvidia's 314mm2 1080. Given this, I don't think it would have been reasonable to expect them to shoot past Nvidia in a single generation. What they've done is eliminate the gap, so the 5700 series and 2070 have a similar number of transisters and similar performance. (Yes, the 5700 XT can clock higher thanks to the new process, but it's also faster as well, so it evens out).

AMD fans can look forward to RDNA 2 next year, since AMD isn't going to be a year late with their new architecture this time. Hence, the comparison will be between AMD's new architecture and Nvidia's new architecture, not Nvidia's new architecture and the first generation of RDNA.

Top Bottom