• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Airlines employee challenges passenger to "hit me" after incident on flight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hot Take, airlines going to band cellphones being on at any point of the flight

Would have to be a federal mandate. No airline would want to go first. But the feds already let them use vague 911 threats to justify $25 a pop for putting baggage in the hold.

Which in turn exacerbated situations like this one.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
I have a hair trigger temper and have gotten into that situation a couple of times. Your fight or flight switch has broken and jammed in fight but then you're thinking, hmmm I might go to jail. But at that point you're seeing red and amped up on adrenaline.

I think the big dude was genuinely ready to go but was having jail thoughts.

Last year I chased a car.

Lol Stinkles you gotta keep that shit together, we don't want to see you on the news!

Wheatly

Cause he sees another passenger being hit by their own property by a belligerent employee while they're holding a young baby.

Some folks aren't inclined to sit idle and watch something like that go down.

This was well after the fact though.

The first time when got up to get the name of the employee (to file a complaint) was fine. The second time when he got up just to say "you do that to me and I'll knock you out" was just begging for confrontation.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I wish Jet blue flew to more places. They're the only carrier that seems to do things right. They're not pretentious with a 1st class. No convoluted boarding process. Free WIFI without any bullshit apps or login process. Free directv.

Honestly I feel like their flights are way better than aa first class.

rogue74

At least it seems as if American Airlines initial response to this incident is far better than how United handled it.

DonShula

How difficult is it to just talk to people in such a way as to not cause a confrontation? Airlines are going to end up having to send all cabin crew on courses just showing them how to speak to people.

Until recently I was under the false impression that the two main responsibilities of a flight attendant were to make sure passengers were safe and to de-escalate tense situations. I don't know what the hell else they're on the plane for. How the fuck does an airline think it's OK to take some of these hot-headed assholes and cram them into a tight space thousands or feet off the ground?

Negotiation skills shouldn't just be a "nice to have" when it comes to flight attendants. They aren't slinging fucking McNuggets.

ColdPizza

Banned
Am I misreading the article? An 8 year old in a stroller?

edit: yup. Totally misread. Read Coldpizza, read.

Flight attendant Vic Mackey

Saya

5ywbmV.gif

Stinkles

Lol Stinkles you gotta keep that shit together, we don't want to see you on the news!

I was riding my bike up a very steep, narow hill on my bike, slowly. Because hill. Dude behind me was revving his engine. I didn't even look back. I was riding past a school, parents picking up their kids. He keeps revving to passively aggresssively indicate I was annoying him. I had already eased all the way over to the right, almost clipping parked side mirrors. He could have easily gone around, but apparently didn't feel comfortable with that maneuver. Ahead of me, cars were stopped dead, because the school was letting out and the turn at the top of the hill is always jammed anyway. A driveway caused a gap in the parked cars and I cruised into it, allowing him to pass for sure. As he gunned past me, at a crazy speed, he laid on the horn and screamed at me that I was not allowed to ride on the road or some shit. And then of course, he had to stop, maybe twenty feet further. But I did not have to stop.

I crept past him at four to five miles an hour, and screamed some like, weird incoherent stuff about the law and traffic regulations. I was completely amped into murder mode by the horn, the school zone, the kids and adults watching.

I threw my bike on the grass and can't really remember what I was screaming at him, but it wasn't physically possible or legal. He blanched, rolled up his window and pretended he couldn't see me. The traffic was ACHINGLY slow, and I'm walking beside his creeping vehicle screaming at him to get out so I could eat his brains or whatever. He wouldn't get out. I tried to open his door to continue the discussion but it was locked. He tried to speed up. But there was nowhere to go.

At this point, I turn around and see all these kids and parents staring this lunatic and literally covering their kids' ears. I have the sudden jail realization and walk shamedly back to my bike and half heartedly try to explain to one of the moms.

Shyamalan twist? Traffic unblocks moments later, and the dude (silver 2015 Maxima, license plate XXXXXX, license plate XXXXXX, license plate XXXXXX - I really do still remember it, which is also unhealthy) and he ROARS OFF (in a school zone) and lays on his horn, rolls down his window and yells something at me.

I have been waiting to see this car again for almost a year. I'm going to find him.

yI8Qrdj.jpg

zelas

The first time when got up to get the name of the employee (to file a complaint) was fine. The second time when he got up just to say "you do that to me and I'll knock you out" was just begging for confrontation.
The definition of escalation.

ErichWK

American Airlines is one if my most hated airlines. Garbage tier planes. Garbage tier food. My flight to japan with them was awful. Never again. Always Singapore Air.

Mimosa97

This is that you get for going all paranoid after 9/11 and giving so much power to companies and people who should never hold so much power. They'll abuse it as much as they can until someone finally says stop.

Usually for european/middle eastern companies it's the other way around. I find flight attendants to be way too nice and accomodating towards passengers who usually are the shitty ones. But for american companies it's pretty much the opposite.

Stinkles

American Airlines is one if my most hated airlines. Garbage tier planes. Garbage tier food. My flight to japan with them was awful. Never again. Always Singapore Air.

American domestic is generic bad and typical of other US carriers. But their international flights are horrific. Delta is about the best International experience for a US carrier. And mostly because they give you a shit ton of entertainment. That's better than nothing. Their business class is NOT good, but it's not bad either.

Singapor business class always makes me feel like a Spy. It's just so goddamned civilized and ROOMY and Singapore doesn't stack flights so they're overbooked, so you often get empty seats beside you.

ColdPizza

Banned
American domestic is generic bad and typical of other US carriers. But their international flights are horrific. Delta is about the best International experience for a US carrier. And mostly because they give you a shit ton of entertainment. That's better than nothing. Their business class is NOT good, but it's not bad either.

Singapor business class always makes me feel like a Spy. It's just so goddamned civilized and ROOMY and Singapore doesn't stack flights so they're overbooked, so you often get empty seats beside you.

Just flew Delta with my 4 year old girl and 19 month old son domestic from Atlanta to Ft Myers and it was a fantastic experience. TVs in the seats for the children, free ear buds, and snacks galore for them. They really did their best to accommodate us and take the stress out of traveling with small children.

RBH

Just flew Delta with my 4 year old girl and 19 month old son domestic from Atlanta to Ft Myers and it was a fantastic experience. TVs in the seats for the children, free ear buds, and snacks galore for them. They really did their best to accommodate us and take the stress out of traveling with small children.
I may be slightly biased since I've spent most of my life in Atlanta, but Delta has always treated me good in terms of being on time and the whole in-flight experience. Have rarely had issues with them.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Flight attendants like police, have nearly absolute power and little accountability.

You start seeing people like sheep and not people.

MIMIC

Banned
What the hell? After that initial story of the guy being dragged out, it seems like there's a new story every week now. Seems like this happens all the time and that first story has allowed them to be more widely-reported.

ColdPizza

Banned
I may be slightly biased since I've spent most of my life in Atlanta, but Delta has always treated me good in terms of being on time and the whole in-flight experience. Have rarely had issues with them.

I hear you. For me, I tend to fly whatever is affordable so I basically do all airlines.

ColdPizza

Banned
Flight attendants like police, have nearly absolute power and little accountability.

You start seeing people like sheep and not people.

I remember a story posted here a year or two ago when a flight attendant lied to a customer and said it was a federal crime to film him. Lol.

SURGEdude

Why is that passenger standing up

Because he saw an injustice and decided to intervene. I don't think he should have said he would hit the guy, but I'd rather people try and do the right thing in the wrong way as opposed to just sitting back and letting other people get mistreated.

Am bewildered at how stupid the staff at AA are. Didn't management pass the message to the staff to remember.. the customer is always right

I was riding my bike up a very steep, narow hill on my bike, slowly. Because hill. Dude behind me was revving his engine. I didn't even look back. I was riding past a school, parents picking up their kids. He keeps revving to passively aggresssively indicate I was annoying him. I had already eased all the way over to the right, almost clipping parked side mirrors. He could have easily gone around, but apparently didn't feel comfortable with that maneuver. Ahead of me, cars were stopped dead, because the school was letting out and the turn at the top of the hill is always jammed anyway. A driveway caused a gap in the parked cars and I cruised into it, allowing him to pass for sure. As he gunned past me, at a crazy speed, he laid on the horn and screamed at me that I was not allowed to ride on the road or some shit. And then of course, he had to stop, maybe twenty feet further. But I did not have to stop.

I crept past him at four to five miles an hour, and screamed some like, weird incoherent stuff about the law and traffic regulations. I was completely amped into murder mode by the horn, the school zone, the kids and adults watching.

I threw my bike on the grass and can't really remember what I was screaming at him, but it wasn't physically possible or legal. He blanched, rolled up his window and pretended he couldn't see me. The traffic was ACHINGLY slow, and I'm walking beside his creeping vehicle screaming at him to get out so I could eat his brains or whatever. He wouldn't get out. I tried to open his door to continue the discussion but it was locked. He tried to speed up. But there was nowhere to go.

At this point, I turn around and see all these kids and parents staring this lunatic and literally covering their kids' ears. I have the sudden jail realization and walk shamedly back to my bike and half heartedly try to explain to one of the moms.

Shyamalan twist? Traffic unblocks moments later, and the dude (silver 2015 Maxima, license plate XXXXXX, license plate XXXXXX, license plate XXXXXX - I really do still remember it, which is also unhealthy) and he ROARS OFF (in a school zone) and lays on his horn, rolls down his window and yells something at me.

I have been waiting to see this car again for almost a year. I'm going to find him.

yI8Qrdj.jpg

Hope you get him dude.

Oh and if possible, ease off the swearing, of course during part of the kids around, but I've found people are more unnerved when you.get in their face and don't swear, I guess they fully expect and get thrown off when you don't. Gives you more of an opportunity to get them where you want them mentally.

Ban Puncher

They need to bring Korean Air's Nut Rage executive out of retirement and let her start laying the smackdown on all these roody-poo, candy-ass airline employees.

Stinkles

Hope you get him dude.

Oh and if possible, ease off the swearing, of course during part of the kids around, but I've found people are more unnerved when you.get in their face and don't swear, I guess they fully expect and get thrown off when you don't. Gives you more of an opportunity to get them where you want them mentally.

If I was in control of my faculties I wouldn't have done ANY of it. All it did was knock a couple of years off my life expectancy, scare some kids and probably encourage an asshole to be even more dangerous around bikes.

teiresias

Am bewildered at how stupid the staff at AA are. Didn't management pass the message to the staff to remember.. the customer is always right

Tons of people in this country are brainwashed into thinking any number of lowly positions in this country are "positions of authority." I'm arguing with one on FB right now that says, "Just do everything the flight attendant says and everything will be fine" completely disregarding the behavior of the attendant in question when there was no reason for him to be behaving in such a belligerent manner to the mother.

SURGEdude

yI8Qrdj.jpg

Guy sounds like the worst. No excuse for the way he treated you.

But dude, you tried to open his car door in a fit of rage. That kind of escalation is where shit starts getting deadly. You might consider pursuing some kind of anger management routine because you put yourself in a dangerous place when you start doing stuff like that.

ColdPizza

Banned

But dude, you tried to open his car door in a fit of rage. That kind of escalation is where shit starts getting deadly. You might consider pursuing some kind of anger management routine because you put yourself in a dangerous place when you start doing stuff like that.

I just found it hilarious the car driver turtled the second he was confronted and then got aggressive again at the OP when he wasn't looking.

Stinkles

I know. I'm literally ashamed. But it was uncontrollable until I talked myself down. I don't get like that about anything except traffic near-misses, and once when I saw a dude punch his girlfriend on the street. My point really, was that you can go from zero to 100 instantly. Doesn't have to escalate on a curve. I don't rage out about anything else. Work, home, nothing. And as I said, I've only had a couple of those in my whole life. Don't think I need anger management quite yet. But I can empathize with the angry dude's FIRST stand up. His second was unneccessary.

I just found it hilarious the car driver turtled the second he was confronted and then got aggressive again at the OP when he wasn't looking.

That actually made me madder. I was gonna burst a blood vessel. (Silver 2015 Maxima license plate XXXXXX, license plate XXXXXX, license plate XXXXXX).

Tons of people in this country are brainwashed into thinking any number of lowly positions in this country are "positions of authority." I'm arguing with one on FB right now that says, "Just do everything the flight attendant says and everything will be fine" completely disregarding the behavior of the attendant in question when there was no reason for him to be behaving in such a belligerent manner to the mother.

Your friend will make a fine policeman. Now... Isn't that scary

NeOak

Sadly, I wish I had options to take Delta. But it's either AA or drive 3 hours to another airport out here.

Everyone who works in an airport or on a plane should be wearing a body camera. Fuck em is they can't act like a civilized human being.

Coxy100

Banned

That's one way of looking at it.

Personally I give kudos to him - nice to see someone stand up for her and also tell the attendant that his behaviour wasn't on.

Much better than everyone just sitting there and not intervening.

Fair enough. All I can say is airline staff are expected to be trained to handle situations without provoking passengers. One person is a trained and paid member of the airline staff. The other isn't. Onus should be on the staff member to deescalate. And remember, if he wasn't be an obnoxious and aggressive asshole to begin with the entire situation wouldn't have occurred.

That's one way of looking at it.

Personally I give kudos to him - nice to see someone stand up for her and also tell the attendant that his behaviour wasn't on.

Much better than everyone just sitting there and not intervening.

This. Pudgy dude getting swole on a mom carrying her kids...real fucking tough guy. He ain't gonna get physical with a dude that can knock him on his ass.

sinkfla87

I work for a major hotel industry and we used to have AA air crews stay with us (until they changed their itineraries and now have them stay at hotels in different states than mine). With that said, this news doesn't surprise me at all lol. I met some cool people but a lot of them were uptight, condescending assholes who would lose their minds if they didn't see our shuttle at the airport to pick them up... From the plane. Like they had 20 minutes left to land and get off the plane itself but lost it if any other guest who wasn't a pilot needed to go somewhere before they needed a ride (my hotel is 3 minutes from the airport). It's funny that this is the DFW crew because I swear I recognize that bald dude.

knitoe

Every airline I have flown makes you check in the stroller at the gate and leave it to the side right before boarding the plane. The , a personal takes them outside and down to the plane's cargo hold.

I am guessing the lady misunderstood and brought the stroller on the plane instead of leaving it to the side right outside of the plane's door. At first, the flight attendant probably asked calmly if he can take the stroller to be out in the cargo hold. The lady refuse. They went back and forth. It escalated to where the attendant lost his cool and this is the result.

NeOak

Every airline I have flown makes you check in the stroller at the gate and leave it to the side right before boarding the plane. The , a personal takes them outside and down to the plane's cargo hold.

I am guessing the lady misunderstood and brought the stroller on the plane instead of leaving it to the side right outside of the plane's door. At first, the flight attendant probably asked calmly if he can take the stroller to be out in the cargo hold. The lady refuse. They went back and forth. It escalated to where the attendant lost his cool and this is the result.

Don't assume, or you will have to eat crow like some United defenders.

Also, DFW AA crew can be entitled assholes. There is a lady that is baaaaaad on the IAH route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom