• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Airlines makes parent move child’s safety seat so someone could recline

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorma

is now taking requests
As if it was really needed, but still further proof that the airplane recliners are the true shitstains of humanity.

i'm pretty sure Hitler was a recliner.

Ripenen

As a parent who sometimes travels with kids this does not surprise me at all. It doesn't matter how the kids are behaving, some people will go out of their way to fuck with you for having the audacity to travel with small children.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Seriously. The barely-veiled contempt from some NeoGAF posters towards children and young parents shocks me sometimes. How dare young mothers with babies actually want to travel, and not only that, but travel and keep their baby safe!? Inconceivable! It reminds me of that thread a while back where posters were expressing their contempt and disregard for "expectant mothers" parking spaces.

It's really weird, and I'm glad to know I'm not the only one to notice GAF's weird disgust toward children.

Goes well with my theory that 10 percent of the site is actually extraterrestrials who don't understand humanity, though. "Have you seen how they breed? They exchange fluids and then much later create nasty stupid little separate beings that start off tiny and grow larger and more intelligent over time. Disgusting."

It's really weird, and I'm glad to know I'm not the only one to notice GAF's weird disgust toward children.

Goes well with my theory that 10 percent of the site is actually extraterrestrials who don't understand humanity, though. "Have you seen how they breed? They exchange fluids and then much later create nasty stupid little separate beings that start off tiny and grow larger and more intelligent over time. Disgusting."

Fuck it all makes sense now...

Waitaminute... I know more than a few in real life.

What if.... No... It couldn't be....

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Nobody should be flying with their newborn
Because faa regulation states they need to be 2 days old at minimum, and need a doctors note before 7 days. Keep that one day old newborn off the plane

Seriously I don't get some people. Babies and their parents or guardians have places to go and things to do too. They should be allowed to fly without stigma just like everyone else.

I get people not liking kids, what concerns me more is the lack of empathy and complete self centered nature of some of the replies.

Squalor

It's not weird, kids are the worst, but to each his own.
Truth. Kids are terrible. I'm reminded every time I step into a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods how awful they are. I don't see them much in my everyday life, so it's still a little shocking to see how horrific they are.

2MF

To be fair, if something goes wrong in an airplane, that seat isnt going to do shit.

Most victims of turbulence get hurt because they're not wearing seatbelts. A child seat is better than just a seatbelt.

You'd be surprised at the beating planes can happily take while passengers inside are bouncing around the cabin. Pilots try to avoid that kind of turbulence but it's not always possible to do so.

Nipo

I get people not liking kids, what concerns me more is the lack of empathy and complete self centered nature of some of the replies.

The problem is you have two groups of entitled people running into each other. Parents who think the world should bend to their needs since they have kids and don't think they're making an already stressful experience worse for everyone around them on the plane by bringing a screaming child on board. Then there is everyone else who doesn't care that the parent who is just trying to get to their destination without their baby flipping out and stressing them out even more.

x-Lundz-x

This is really shitty of AA and people who recline their seats especially this woman fucking suck.

I hope this lady sues AA and I hope it leads to them removing the ability to recline seats.

The child haters are mostly in their 20's. It's normal especially if you have no consistent interactions with young people you love sincerely. A few people will quote this and say "I'm 40" but they are exceptional.

Nobody should be flying with their newborn
Because faa regulation states they need to be 2 days old at minimum, and need a doctors note before 7 days. Keep that one day old newborn off the plane

Seriously I don't get some people. Babies and their parents or guardians have places to go and things to do too. They should be allowed to fly without stigma just like everyone else.

They should be allowed to fly, but you will never remove the stigma from someone that has a high likelihood of screaming at some point during the flight.

nomster

The problem is you have two groups of entitled people running into each other. Parents who think the world should bend to their needs since they have kids and don't think they're making an already stressful experience worse for everyone around them on the plane by bringing a screaming child on board. Then there is everyone else who doesn't care that the parent who is just trying to get to their destination without their baby flipping out and stressing them out even more.
In this scenario the parent isn't being entitled though. Sure there are cases but this isn't one of them

AA should have just refunded the lady the ticket for the baby and be done with it. Don't treat traveling mothers with such disrespect. That's a goddamn death sentence online.

Grinchy

Banned
Can't people just wait until their baby grows up a little bit before taking it everywhere and ruining everyone else's times?

You don't have to take your baby to see Iron Man. You don't have to take your baby on public transportation. You know how you can keep it safe? Keep the little shitbag at home until it's old enough to follow directions, like "shut the fuck up."

pigeon

Banned

How is the parent entitled in this situation?

Recliners are the worst. It makes such little difference to the recliner in terms of comfort, but has a much bigger impact on the person behind.

Edit: actually team "don't bring babies on planes or out in public" are the worst. Seriously guys, no parent wants their child to be disruptive or an annoyance to other passengers, but to say that babies shouldn't be allowed on planes because they might detract from your flight experience is self-centered and ridiculous.

Risible

People keep making this observation like every child is a fucking screaming devil monster.

It has nothing to do with this situation. It is in no way applicable. At no time is it mentioned that the child was screaming or crying.

The mother, rightfully so, was trying to follow commons sense safety guides for transporting a child on a plane.

Some shitbird didn't care and wanted to recline.

There is no comparison.

Nipo

People keep making this observation like every child is a fucking screaming devil monster.

It has nothing to do with this situation. It is in no way applicable. At no time is it mentioned that the child was screaming or crying.

The mother, rightfully so, was trying to follow commons sense safety guides for transporting a child on a plane.

Some shitbird didn't care and wanted to recline.

There is no comparison.

from his point of view the mother was trying to take space the person paid for and expected him to be ok with it because she has a child. Why didn't she just buy a business class ticket?

Risible

Can't people just wait until their baby grows up a little bit before taking it everywhere and ruining everyone else's times?

You don't have to take your baby to see Iron Man. You don't have to take your baby on public transportation. You know how you can keep it safe? Keep the little shitbag at home until it's old enough to follow directions, like "shut the fuck up."

Desperate for an avatar quote I see.

I truly hope you're just trolling, because otherwise you are a sad person. Is that how your parents parented you, by telling you to shut the fuck up? Maybe you should follow their advice.

I recline when the mood strikes, but I ALWAYS look back to confirm the seat behind is either empty or occupied by a child / little man.

I am on team recliner pretty much always but this is a child that needs a seat for safety and extra was paid for it. So recliner just needs to fucking suck it up.airline needs to compensate the party though. You pay for a seat. Everyone can recline. A baby is sitting behimd them so they ask they do not recline. Okay cool. So offer that person something just as a thank you.

As far as reclining in regular situations though, we all paid for our seats . If you cant handle someone reclining on you pay for business class. Otherwise suck it up.

Follow your own advice.

Or mine: grow the fuck up

AntChum

I hate kids - can't stand the shits - but I'd rather be on a plane next to a mother and her screaming child than surrounded by anti-kidGAF. Like, do many of you even know what it means to be a part of society?

pigeon

Banned
from his point of view the mother was trying to take space the person paid for and expected him to be ok with it because she has a child. Why didn't she just buy a business class ticket?

She expected him to be okay with it because FAA regulations and airline policy say that she's allowed to bring a car seat and she paid for an extra seat. If the kid were 2 years instead of 7 months she would be required to bring a car seat and buy an extra seat to get on the plane. Is that entitlement?

You suggesting that parents should have to pay for first class when they already have to buy an extra seat for their child is the height of entitlement.

As the article makes pretty clear, the fundamental issue here is that she shouldn't have been in the row immediately behind the exit row because there's less clearance, so the flight attendant should have moved somebody.

Vagabundo

What if she was on her way to a circumcision? Should she have tipped the Air Hostess?

This and more GAF Hotbutton Topics after this ad break.

AA should have just refunded the lady the ticket for the baby and be done with it. Don't treat traveling mothers with such disrespect. That's a goddamn death sentence online.

I get the impression that these major carriers don't really care about the bad publicity, especially something minor like this that got little traction online. Either that carrier is the best deal/only option/you have loyalty points with them/preferred carrier for employer, etc...you're gonna use them either way. It's not like they have great customer service history to uphold, anyway (major carriers in general)

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Space they paid for? "I paid for those two inches of space in front of you, you paid for the two inches behind you. It was clearly stated in the contract."

She expected him to be okay with it because FAA regulations and airline policy say that she's allowed to bring a car seat and she paid for an extra seat.

He doesn't need to be okay with it. He just need to be forced to suck it up.

The fundamental difference I find with people for and agajnst this kind of stuff is that people want to turn these into right or wrong without considering that feelings arent necessarily logical.

If you pay for a seat that is suppose to recline nd you arent allowed to recline it it's natural that might annoy you. But ultimately being annoyed doesnt take priority over safety. But being annoyed doesnt make you a bad guy inherently.

Airlines need to put their footdown and have actual rules. And I say this as a 6'5" person who doesnt even like reclining. I think the airline just has to tell the person no you cant recline but here we will offer you some other form of compensation if that person is really bithered.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
On a longhaul flight i'd wait until you get up or go to the bathroom. If you can go 15+ hours without standing or going to the bathroom i'd just be impressed. Short flight i'd call the flight attended to make note my seat is "broken" and get credited for part of my flight.

If I'm getting up to go to the bathroom, your seat is finding itself back in the upright position when I sit back down, unless you weigh like four hundred pounds and/or preemptively brace your legs against a static surface. And if you're starting ninja bracing maneuvers to retain your recline at my expense after strategically waiting for me to pee, then we likely have a personal problem to resolve at that point and you'll not be looking like the person being fucked with, with your feet up against some surface holding your breath and pushing your butt down.

prag16

Banned

If you're not joking/trolling, this is one of the most ignorant posts I've ever read on this site. You are awarded no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

pigeon

Banned
He doesn't need to be okay with it. He just need to be forced to suck it up.

The fundamental difference I find with people for and agajnst this kind of stuff is that people want to turn these into right or wrong without considering that feelings arent necessarily logical.

If you pay for a seat that is suppose to recline nd you arent allowed to recline it it's natural that might annoy you. But ultimately being annoyed doesnt take priority over safety. But being annoyed doesnt make you a bad guy inherently.

I didn't claim the guy was a bad person. I'm responding to the claim that the parent is somehow behaving in an entitled fashion by expecting to be able to follow FAA regulations and the recommendations of the airline (or indeed the requirements of the airline depending on the age of the child).

I'm unclear on what, short of shelling out for two first class seats, a parent could do to not be "entitled" in Nipo's view. All I'm trying to do, frankly, is get to a place with a minimum amount of disruption and a reasonable amount of safety, the same as everybody else. Believe me, if I have a child with me, the task is harder for me than you.

I didn't claim the guy was a bad person. I'm responding to the claim that the parent is somehow behaving in an entitled fashion by expecting to be able to follow FAA regulations and the recommendations of the airline (or indeed the requirements of the airline depending on the age of the child).

I'm unclear on what, short of shelling out for two first class seats, a parent could do to not be "entitled" in Nipo's view. All I'm trying to do, frankly, is get to a place with a minimum amount of disruption and a reasonable amount of safety, the same as everybody else. Believe me, if I have a child with me, the task is harder for me than you.

Oh I was just adding. I dont see the parent as being entitled at all. They paid extra for shit. Theybshould be able to have that function as intended. I just think the issue is airlines dont have actual rules.its should just be, if there is a child seat behind you reclining is ban. Then everyome knows.

You dont wanna take that risk then by first class. Situations like this simply cause animosity. Airline should make rulea to avoid aituatioms like this.

pigeon

Banned
Oh I was just adding. I dont see the parent as being entitled at all. They paid extra for shit. Theybshould be able to have that function as intended. I just think the issue is airlines dont have actual rules.its should just be, if there is a child seat behind you reclining is ban. Then everyome knows.

You dont wanna take that risk then by first class. Situations like this simply cause animosity. Airline should make rulea to avoid aituatioms like this.

Sure, I agree. I didn't know that there were two wildly diametric and homicidally opposed camps about seat reclining until I read GAF on the issue. I would definitely prefer some clear airline policies on the matter to prevent anybody's kneecaps getting dislocated.

Sure, I agree. I didn't know that there were two wildly diametric and homicidally opposed camps about seat reclining until I read GAF on the issue. I would definitely prefer some clear airline policies on the matter to prevent anybody's kneecaps getting dislocated.

Gaf is weird about this. Me personally, seat reclines, you are free to recline it unless its a safety issue. I persoally never recline because for w/e reason I feel more comfortable upright

Some people never learn that direction.

When I was six months old, my mother took me on a plane to Florida to get away from my abusive biological father. She didn't own a car and the only way she was able to get to Florida (where my grandparents lived) was to have a plane ticket purchased for her and me by said grandparents.

Should she have stayed in an unsafe and awful situation because I could have ruined the other passnegers' flight?

There's a lot of reasons why a mother might fly with an infant and to dismiss that out of hand is heartless.

Chococat

The child haters are mostly in their 20's. It's normal especially if you have no consistent interactions with young people you love sincerely. A few people will quote this and say "I'm 40" but they are exceptional.

Yah! I'm the exception! :)

I don't like kids, but this lady did every above and beyond to meet the airline regulations and still got shit on. That is wrong. The recliner could have been more understanding, but they paid for a seat that reclines. This is the airlines fault.

Also, I suffered a 13 hour non stop flight with a kid in front of me banging his seat the entire time cause he was sick. His ears would not pop, leaving him in agony. I was not happy, but I survived. It was not the kid's fault. And his parents were doing everything possible to comfort him and keep him quiet. Sometimes shit happens, and the best thing to do is to not let it effect you.

Wow dude, what a shitty thing to say. I hope this is said in jest.

MANUELF

Banned
If you can't fit in the seat when it is in regular usage then you should buy a more suitable seat on the plane. It is tough but the same applies to obese people (whether the obesity is their fault or not). The last person you should blame is the passenger using what he has paid for.

Be angry at the airline for not catering to your size or yourself for poor planning.

I dont flight so cant say anything about that but oh boy do some buses come with smaller spaces or what

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom