• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Airlines makes parent move child’s safety seat so someone could recline

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
It seems weird they let her buy the seat for that purpose when it isn't even allowed.

How'd that happen?

nomster

I'm 6'2 - I'm hardly someone who enjoys getting reclined on. However, I realize that's something that simply happens on airplanes, and I'm not going to go out of my way to put my comfort over the comfort of other people who have expectations for what they can do in their seat.

What isn't cool is going on to an airplane with the expectation that your personal comfort while travelling somehow exceeds the rights of other passengers on the plane. In essence you're putting yourself above others in that situation. Which some people (understandably so) aren't going to be very amenable to. I think most reasonable people would have let this particular situation go instead of making a scene (myself included), but you can't deny the fact that going on to an airplane with the idea that other people have to sacrifice their needs for your child is certainly selfish.
I don't understand how you could place a need to recline over the need for a usable child seat. If you ranked "needs" how could the former exceed the latter? And what happens when someone reclines on a parent holding a baby? Is that permissible?

I'm 6'2 - I'm hardly someone who enjoys getting reclined on. However, I realize that's something that simply happens on airplanes, and I'm not going to go out of my way to put my comfort over the comfort of other people who have expectations for what they can do in their seat.

What isn't cool is going on to an airplane with the expectation that your personal comfort while travelling somehow exceeds the rights of other passengers on the plane. In essence you're putting yourself above others in that situation. Which some people (understandably so) aren't going to be very amenable to. I think most reasonable people would have let this particular situation go instead of making a scene (myself included), but you can't deny the fact that going on to an airplane with the idea that other people have to sacrifice their needs for your child is certainly selfish.

It's a hierarchy. A passenger's safety should come before another passenger's comfort.

MikeDip

I don't understand how you could place a need to recline over the need for a usable child seat. If you ranked "needs" how could the former exceed the latter? And what happens when someone reclines on a parent holding a baby? Is that permissible?

I will recline on someone holding a baby any day of the week, why wouldn't I?

Ishan

I'm totally on team recline. . Having said that If you read the op airline policy says child seats should not be where this was and it was the airlines responsibility to do so which they were dicks and didn't do . Ispite of charging the mom the ticket cost . Two if the airline is being a dick as much as I like reclining I'll suck it up and not recline it's a fucking child . I'll tell an grown person anyway fuck off I'm allowed to recline I'm not going to put a child at risk for my comfort . Especially a young child turbulence can be bad etc on some flights .

Bottom line is recline almost always in this case I wouldn't . (Airline were the fuck ups tho)

fester

Banned
Seat recliners are just awful, no surprise there. On the same tier as people who wait until the last second to merge into traffic to get ahead of a few more people or line cutters.

Why on God's green earth did you have to combine these issues? Someone who purchases a seat and uses an FAA approved device for safety absolutely trumps a douchebag recliner. Using all available lanes on the highway ("late merging"), however, is what smart people do to help keep traffic moving.

MikeDip

FAA rules say that a car seat can only be on the window seat.

Airlines policy says that seat she had the baby seat in shouldn't have the baby seat in it.

So now what happens? (They should refund her the seat since they never should have sold it to her)

Except you don't need to do that to transport a baby. You can hold the baby for the duration of the flight, which is what most people do to begin with. She instead opted for the option that was going to randomly select someone to have a shittier flight so she could have a more comfortable flight. Seems pretty self centered to me.

Following recommended safety guidelines for one's child is self-centered now? How about the passenger wanting to recline at the expense of extra precautions taken for a seven month old infant?

Risible

Except you don't need to do that to transport a baby. You can hold the baby for the duration of the flight, which is what most people do to begin with. She instead opted for the option that was going to randomly select someone to have a shittier flight so she could have a more comfortable flight. Seems pretty self centered to me.

ZPs new tag - "I don't understand shit about physics"

Ever been in heavy turbulence? That baby will hit the ceiling. Dwayne The Rock Johnson could be holding the fucking kid and it would still get launched. The g-forces are incredible.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Woah wait there's an anti reclining brigade out there? I always thought everyone was cool with it because the seats barely move.

Madness

This is bullshit. A heavy jolt of turbulence will launch a kid out of your arms. They should be in a restraint

How many kids have been jolted out of arms and killed due to turbulence? I'm sorry but the other passenger also paid for a ticket and is legally allowed to recline. Just because you have a child doesn't mean you and the child are entitled over others.

MikeDip

Re-read. Where does it say it isn't allowed?

Near the end of the article.

"While American’s policy notes that safety seats can’t be used in exit rows or the rows directly next to one, she was able to purchase the seat specifically for that reason and wasn’t informed of any issue prior or after take off."

Why on God's green earth did you have to combine these issues? Someone who purchases a seat and uses an FAA approved device for safety absolutely trumps a douchebag recliner. Using all available lanes on the highway ("late merging"), however, is what smart people do to help keep traffic moving.

You serious?

Gu0AH.png

Zoe

You're not reading it correctly. She bought an extra seat for the child and put an airline approved child safety seat in it.

He's not reading it wrong:
While American’s policy notes that safety seats can’t be used in exit rows or the rows directly next to one, she was able to purchase the seat specifically for that reason and wasn’t informed of any issue prior or after take off

You're telling someone to hold an infant for multiple hours?

The fuck are you on?

Er... People do exactly that all the time on flights.

nomster

How many kids have been jolted out of arms and killed due to turbulence? I'm sorry but the other passenger also paid for a ticket and is legally allowed to recline. Just because you have a child doesn't mean you and the child are entitled over others.
Please cite the law you refer to. The actual regulation involved here allows a car seat for safety standards.

As an always recliner, too bad for those around me screw you I paid for a reclining seat person, I'd give this one to the baby and the baby seat.

I found the line, it's the baby.

Sanity prevails.

I'm 6'4", and there's no excuse for this shit. It's hilarious that you describe it as sacrificing "needs." There isn't a single person in the world that needs to recline.

We're talking the safety of a baby. The mom bought a seat especially for her child. The person complaining about not being able to recline is a complete asshole. Full stop.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I think most reasonable people would have let this particular situation go instead of making a scene (myself included), but you can't deny the fact that going on to an airplane with the idea that other people have to sacrifice their needs for your child is certainly selfish.
What makes you think that she got onto the airplane thinking that the person in front wouldn't be able to recline? Considering how well a baby will sleep in a car seat versus in your lap, she probably was thinking of the well being of the passengers as well as her child's safety. On the one flight I took with my daughter as a baby in my lap, the person in front soon learned that reclining a seat so that a TV screen is within grabbing distance of a baby and the back of your seat is within kicking distance is worse than sitting upright.

I just can't imagine the self absorbed mentality that would have someone turn around and be like, yo, FUCK YOUR BABY, I need my nap.

The other passenger is also a grown adult who should have the common decency and maturity to handle a very minor inconvenience for even a modicum of extra safety for an infant.

Atilac

Comfort rights don't trump the safety rights of others, this isn't fucking rocket science. Some cunts selfish need to recline doesn't trump a child's right to safety.

numble

Can you give me a citation for the legal right to recline? The OP seems to indicate that FAA rules prohibit an airline from requiring the removal of a child seat to allow the passenger I front to recline.

Lenz44

Banned

I hope the next 40 fights you are on have crying babies around you. But seriously, a normal human response is "Oh that sucks, but the child's safety is more important than slightly leaning back." and then drink your small cup of coke and peanuts and go about the rest of your life and let that small incignificant event fade from your mind.

Er... People do exactly that all the time on flights.

People also don't recline on flights all the time.

And a safety seat is a lot more secure (in the case of turbulence) than holding the baby.

But fuck baby safety amirite? Lol they can just make another.

kswiston

Being just shy of 6'6" with long limbs instead of a long torso, I have always had a disdain for reclining seats in all forms of public transit (planes, trains, Greyhound buses) as well as theatres.

If you are going to pack people into a space like sardines so that you can sell and extra row or two of seats, make those seats stationary so that you are not crushing the legs of anyone over 6 feet in height.

EDIT: As for the baby, I would have told off the flight attendant if it was my 7 month old. The mother read the flight safety rules and precautions. What was the flight attendant or airline going to do if she said no?

MikeDip

Basic human decency and a desire to avoid having your seat kicked all flight? Idk

I don't follow how someone holding a baby deserves not getting reclined on? It's not like I am pushing my chair into the baby they are not where my chair goes

Kid wins. Turbulence can happen at any moment, and that child can become a flying object. That's why the FAA has started approving car seats for airline use. Almost all seats are now FAA approved because it's what is safest for the child any everyone on board.

Yeah SELFISH BITCH MOTHER thinks her INFANT is ENTITLED to SAFETY.

That FUCKING SELFISH BABY can DIE for all I care. I DESERVE more COMFORT.

shira

If the lady is in the Emergency row you have so much space.

7tGtY0c.jpg

Trade rows with with the mom.
Put your feet up or walk around,

Reclinging doesn't do shit.

Darren870

I just can't imagine the self absorbed mentality that would have someone turn around and be like, yo, FUCK YOUR BABY, I need my nap.

You can see it in this thread.

I fly a lot... I can tell which type of passengers half the people in this thread are. The dregs of society.

Uhyve

It's like you want crying babies on a flight, get that baby in a nice secured seat so it can sleep. Sorry guy in front, take the hit for the rest of us.

I mean, we all know this is the airlines fault for packing us like sardines. Even if you hate kids on planes, if there are FCC guidelines for the proper transport of babies, then that should obviously be catered for without compromising the comfort of other passengers.
Studies indicate that everyone doing this (and alternating entries) would improve traffic flow:
http://www.dot.state.mn.us/zippermerge/
That would just block traffic in the left lane, you're confusing this with lanes merging due to road works. Also the zippermerge only works in a perfect world, a world we are not in.

numble

Near the end of the article.

"While American’s policy notes that safety seats can’t be used in exit rows or the rows directly next to one, she was able to purchase the seat specifically for that reason and wasn’t informed of any issue prior or after take off."

He's not reading it wrong
I understand that the FAA rules allow it and airline policy is just internal policy, such as a "no more than 2 alcoholic drinks" or whatever.

Most people who do this think they are performing zipper merges or filling in obvious gaps, the likes of which you see in computer simulations.

Most people are actually either darting dangerously into a moving lane with no signal, or else parking in the merging lane and just waiting for a "good time", obliviously blocking all of the through traffic behind them.

MikeDip

It's like you want crying babies on a flight, get that baby in a nice secured seat so it can sleep. Sorry guy in front, take the hit for the rest of us.

I mean, we all know this is the airlines fault for packing us like sardines. Even if you hate kids on planes, if there are FCC guidelines for the proper transport of babies, then that should obviously be catered for without compromising the comfort of other passagengers.

The very seat the baby was in was against policy itself.

The whole thing is fucked. Everything is fucked. Give the lady her refund

numble

MikeDip

I understand that the FAA rules allow it and airline policy is just internal policy, such as a "no more than 2 alcoholic drinks" or whatever.

It's the policy, I am confused with your comment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom