• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Airlines makes parent move child’s safety seat so someone could recline

Status
Not open for further replies.
That lady paid to be able to recline her chair. Your inability to use effective birth control (or willful contribution to the over population problem) doesn't give you the power to downgrade her ticket to "non-reclinable".

If this isn't a gag post, then I feel very sorry for you. You sound like a miserable person.

I mean, someone could easily flip the tables on you here: "Your inability to find another human being willing to put up with your personality long enough to procreate doesn't give you the power to put a baby's life in danger so you can recline your seat five inches."

Too easy. I know there are sane seat recliners (we've had one in this very thread), but posts like yours make the whole lot look like inconsiderate "fuck you, I got mine!" jerks.

Korey

Train your flight attendants, American Airlines.

The person at fault was the terrible flight attendant.

- Korey

My question to the legal experts in this thread is this:

Are you really prioritizing a recliner's comfort over an infant's safety?

Keeping the child in the paid seat is the safest method to protect the infant. American Airlines isn't going to get any sympathy from the administrative judge.

I'm 6'2 - I'm hardly someone who enjoys getting reclined on. However, I realize that's something that simply happens on airplanes, and I'm not going to go out of my way to put my comfort over the comfort of other people who have expectations for what they can do in their seat.

What isn't cool is going on to an airplane with the expectation that your personal comfort while travelling somehow exceeds the rights of other passengers on the plane. In essence you're putting yourself above others in that situation. Which some people (understandably so) aren't going to be very amenable to. I think most reasonable people would have let this particular situation go instead of making a scene (myself included), but you can't deny the fact that going on to an airplane with the idea that other people have to sacrifice their needs for your child is certainly selfish.

This is a bad post and you should feel bad.

Gonna just write you off as a troll to preserve my own sanity.

#teamrecline btw

I'm usually on #teamrecline but there's no way I'm going to attempt to defend this woman. What she did was bad and she should feel bad.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Baby safety less important than your need to recline. LOL. You're the reason society is shit. Please refrain from even discussing any societal issues, your opinion is worthless. The other option is to continue being an insufferable hypocrite.

MANUELF

Banned
Me and the seat recliners have a long and turbious relationship, since Im pretty large I usually hit the seat in front of me with my knees so when they want to recline they cant but sometimes they have seen that I have my legs there and they STILL want to recline and thats a war call

What kind of asshole do you have to be to make a fuss that you can't recline because someone's child's safety seat is in the way on a flight that is probably less than 6 hours long?

Dalek

Me and the seat recliners have a long and turbious relationship, since Im pretty large I usually hit the seat in front of me with my knees so when they want to recline they cant but sometimes they have seen that I have my legs there and they STILL want to recline and thats a war call

Yes it's weird. They somehow think they're Kitty Pryde and are going to phase the chair through our knees somehow. Isn't happening, buddy.

milanbaros

Member?
I wouldn't do what the recliner did but I can't really say she was wrong. She paid to be able to recline her seat. The baby seat was in the wrong place on the plane (this is AA's fault unless it is noted when buying a ticket).

The solution is that the mother should buy a seat suitable for her baby seat.

Breads

Banned
They bought their ticket. Seats are designed to recline. It's their right to recline and you can't tell them otherwise.

That person is a dick. People who make this argument while refusing to communicate with the people around them to try to reach a compromise are anti social.

milanbaros

Member?

If you can't fit in the seat when it is in regular usage then you should buy a more suitable seat on the plane. It is tough but the same applies to obese people (whether the obesity is their fault or not). The last person you should blame is the passenger using what he has paid for.

Be angry at the airline for not catering to your size or yourself for poor planning.

MC Safety

Flying is like the old West: Anything goes and you shouldn't expect any kind of civility or logic to prevail.

It's an awful thing this lady had to have her car seat moved so it was "on a big incline." But in the grand scheme of things, it was a compromise and it seems beyond the hassle and brouhaha it was no harm, no foul.

Don't expect the airline or passengers to accommodate you when you travel by air. If you have a flight without tsuris, congratulations. You've won the lottery of sorts.

Baby safety less important than your need to recline. LOL. You're the reason society is shit. Please refrain from even discussing any societal issues, your opinion is worthless. The other option is to continue being an insufferable hypocrite.

This. I can't believe how many people aren't on the side of the infant's safety AND comfort.

karobit

I love the "I paid to recline" argument, it's my favorite, like it was your primary concern. You woke up early that day, drove to the airport 90 minutes before takeoff, took off your shoes and got patted down in a security line so that you could sit in a chair for a few hours and recline. All for a couple hundred dollars! It's such a good deal.

It's an awful thing this lady had to have her car seat moved so it was "on a big incline." But in the grand scheme of things, it was a compromise and it seems beyond the hassle and brouhaha it was no harm, no foul.

“This incline was unsafe because it caused my son’s head to fall forward to his chest which is a huge suffocation risk,” she tells Consumerist, noting that the carseat was now spilling into her seat, reducing the amount of space she had despite purchasing three seats.

No harm, no foul.

Richie

So odd seeing the debate focusing on whether it was the mother's fault or the reclining passenger's when it's clear as day American Airlines were the ones who fucked up.

HoodWinked

what if the person was refrained from reclining but also the mother couldnt either just so both can be equally uncomfortable in this situation.

pigeon

Banned
I'm unimpressed by the argument that the mom was "able" to buy a seat for her two-year-old that wasn't carseat appropriate. Like the airline computer gives a shit.

However this is just a dumb situation where the flight attendant fucked up. She should have moved the mom and kid as she is apparently legally required to do anyway.

Totally inappropriate to fuck with the car seat like that. I would have been much more strident in refusing to move it. I already had to carry the fucking thing like half a mile while walking and managing a baby. Get off my fucking (reclined chair) back.

Also man, if Sartre had been around when modern airplane travel was invented No Exit would have been a lot different. Or maybe it would have been almost exactly the same.

Redd

I'm all about reclining on long flights because it's my money and I paid for it and the seat reclines for comfort. Still even with all that suck it up. It's a baby for goodness sake don't recline and if you got a medical problem ask if there are any available seats where you can go.

forrest

formerly nacire
This would all be a moot point if the airline would simply provide everyone with ample space instead of packing everyone in like a bunch of sardines.

Magni

Sad that this is even a debate :/

1. AA attendant screwed up by not giving the mother and infant new seats
2. AA screwed up by not properly compensating the mother
3. Recliner was a grade-A asshole
4. Poor infant :(

And I say this as a recliner (who looks back before reclining, and does it softly, not suddenly).

That's not how car infant seats work. Parent was stupid.

You're supposed to read the OT before you post.

milanbaros

Member?
I love the "I paid to recline" argument, it's my favorite, like it was your primary concern. You woke up early that day, drove to the airport 90 minutes before takeoff, took off your shoes and got patted down in a security line so that you could sit in a chair for a few hours and recline. All for a couple hundred dollars! It's such a good deal.

No harm, no foul.

I'm not sure you understand. If I go out for a meal with free refills then I rightly would be annoyed if I couldn't get my refills. Doesn't mean it was my primary concern or why I went out in the first place.

lol it's the reclinegate again. Gaf is funny sometimes. A lot of you miss the point that the fault lies squarely on the airline and that flight attendant, who fucked up the situation. To generalize people who like to recline is just silly and naive. (yes that guy was a dick though)

I also don't understand how the mother didn't reserve for a front row seat, because these are usually reserved for parents with babies and they feature a pull down table in front for bassinet cribs. A lot of airlines I fly on have this.

"yeah but i have the right to recline in this cramped tiny space so ..... njeh njeh blah blah".

They should make airplane seats sitting only. Yeah it's uncomfortable. It's a bus with wings. Just less space to sit.

Saganator

I hope that baby cried the whole damn time due to being uncomfortable.

With how crammed in planes are, it's really shitty thing they even have reclining seats. The button to recline might as well be called the "Dickhead button," only push it if you don't care about making people's personal space smaller than it already is. Either give everyone a couple extra inches or remove reclining seats.

Alienfan

I remember my parents telling me the one time we traveled on a long-haul flight from LA to Britain, American Airlines gave them a sports-bag to put me in on the floor (I was one years old). Could have made it on the news!

Do you like reclining seats? Do you hate children?

Well, we certainly do at Mandrake Air.

"Mandrake Air?" you ask, stupidly. "The airline that the US government literally declared war on?" Heh. It's true, we lost a lot of good men in what we refer to as the War of Landward Aggression, and what history books are apparently referring to as the "Atrocities of Lionel Mandrake." Which just doesn't have the same ring to it, but whatever, I guess it's just an honor to have a whole chapter.

But, Mandrake Air is back and better than ever, thanks to the preposterous incompetency of FAA paperwork. We found so many loopholes in our indictments we'll be in business until Judgment Day, which is hopefully a long ways off, because I am screwed.

We've heard our customers, and what they've mostly been saying is, "Wait. What? No, I thought I bought tickets with Delta! No! Please God, no! Don't put me on the plane! Don't put me on the-..." and so on. But other than that, they've been talking about how annoying your stupid kids are. Your kids. Specifically, by name. They also said they were ugly and smelled like oranges, yet not in a good way. Which I thought was weird. Oranges smell wonderful. But the customer is always right when it's convenient for the company. So starting this week, we have a new policy on Mandrake Air.

If your kid becomes an inconvenience to any of the other flyers or flight staff, we have a guy who stays in the under the floor compartment wearing a weird animal mask.

UNDiwU8.jpg

And if we give him the signal, he will climb out, take your baby and run off to the back of the plane where we have set up a small, dark room with a strobe light and loud backwards-playing dialogue from old Russian movies. Why? Honestly, we've had those rooms installed in the back of our planes for years and I, for the life of me, cannot remember why. So, this is as good an excuse as I've been able to come up with. But I think, over time, this will teach kids to be... better... at being kids.

"But Mandrake," you say, most unattractively, "I don't want to leave my kids alone in a dark, strobe light-filled room with some strange creep in a Halloween mask." Don't worry about it. Larry is a saint. We had to practically threaten the safety of his family to get him to do this. And by "practically," I mean "explicitly."

But you know what's great about planes? Reclining seats. Everyone loves 'em. The only problem is they don't recline enough. That's why we invented new Maxo-Reclining seats. You see, normally, these seats stop at just a few inches of recline.

vWKawF6.jpg

What the fuck's even the point? With Maxo-Recline technology, nothing can stop your relaxation.

9NlHaEH.png

And you know what, I say that still isn't enough. That's why our experimental division is testing out Maxo-Recline 2.0. With the ultimate in reclining tech.

PBL9C8T.png

... Any accidents that occur will be your own fault. Your bodies shouldn't be that prone to snapping. Clearly you people aren't drinking enough milk.

xKD10gZ.png

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
it's only a 5 1/2 hour flight and you're gonna make that much of stink about reclining lmao

Koomaster

Don't see why the flight attendant couldn't have asked around to see if anyone minded a baby seat behind them; then moved people around. Both sides should get what they want, a safe baby seat and the ability to recline. It just seems like people are too lazy to do the work required to make it happen in this instance.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'm not sure why the rear-facing vs front-facing distinction matters in an airplane. Those guidelines exist for auto travel because of the nature of car collisions. If turbulence is the primary concern, either configuration should work.

I see that the FAA recommends rear-facing but I didn't see a reason. I suspect they are are defaulting to that suggestion because infants under 20 lbs are already expected to be rear-facing when in their car seats.

FyreWulff

Am tall, airline seats don't recline enough to save you. It's all about the leg room.

Woman should have swapped to a reclinable seat. Those things barely even recline anyway, it's more like "seat movement barely"

You can put up with not reclining a seat for a flight. Babies always get priority in this world.

I'm not sure why the rear-facing vs front-facing distinction matters in an airplane. Those guidelines exist for auto travel because of the nature of car collisions. If turbulence is the primary concern, either configuration should work.

I see that the FAA recommends rear-facing but I didn't see a reason. I suspect they are are defaulting to that digestion because infants under 20 lbs are already expected to be rear-facing when in their car seats.

The plane stops pretty fast, especially on shorter runways. The reason they're supposed to face backwards is not just for crashes, but for fast stops not breaking or injuring their neck either.

In theory the safest way for humans to ride anything would be to face backwards. We just can't currently do it for practical reasons.

What a recipe for disaster, a seat reclining thread, mixed in with a little parental opinions, and add a dash of lane/zipper merging debate. This is the perfect storm.

Even as a staunch pro-recliner I don't understand why the child was moved. The child's safety is far more important than the chair reclining holy crap. Terrible judgement call by the flight attendant. Someone needs to go back and read their own companies safety requirements.

The M.O.B

Many of you haven't battled with a recliner on a 10 hr international flight before. I'm not even a big guy or tall but I still carry the battle scars from those flights. Nothing is more despicable than you putting your comfort over mine.

#TeamMandrakeAir

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Many of you haven't battled with a recliner on a 10 hr international flight before. I'm not even a big guy or tall but I still carry the battle scars from those flights. Nothing is more despicable than you putting your comfort over mine.

#TeamMandrakeAir

Did you have a baby seat? If no, then sorry gonna recline. Shouldn't be a battle at all, you are fighting a fight you have no right to fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom