• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Airlines makes parent move child’s safety seat so someone could recline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigress

Why didn't she just switch seats with the baby (long as the person in front of her didn't want to decline. Not everyone declines their seat). That way both sides are happy.

Why didn't she just switch seats with the baby (long as the person in front of her didn't want to recline. Not everyone reclines their seat). That way both sides are happy.

This is one of those great questions, but unfortunately in one of those situations where we have been given very little information, and only from one side.

Did anyone offer to switch places with her or the hated recliner? Or, were all the close-by passengers oblivious and/or assholes, refusing to accommodate seat switches or whatever? Did mommy 'flip out' and become unnecessarily difficult with passengers/staff, enough so that nobody cared to help? Was baby an ugly baby, or a beautiful baby? So many unanswered questions.

Why couldn't the recliner and flight attendant see if anyone else on the flight wouldn't mind switching to a non-reclining seat so everyone wins?

As a father of 2 with a 6 month old son, if someone impedes me from keeping my children safe, that person gets a rude version of me. If someone TOUCHES my children or their carseat, they get assaulted.

I don't give a FUCK about your comfort when my child could potentially get hurt as a result. All the "keep your child at home" people can fuck off too. Sometimes parents don't have a choice and you aren't entitled to your convenience when you enter the public space.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
“American Airlines jeopardized the safety of my infant so that a passenger could recline their seat,” Becca recalled. “The seat in front of my infant was an emergency row seat where the female had about 6 feet of leg room, but she wanted to recline her seat. My carseat prevented that, which upset this passenger.”

Becca said the woman asked if she could “do something about the carseat,” to which she said she couldn’t, informing her fellow passenger that per the carseat label she couldn’t move it to the forward-facing position.

While American’s policy notes that safety seats can’t be used in exit rows or the rows directly next to one, she was able to purchase the seat specifically for that reason and wasn’t informed of any issue prior or after take off. Additionally, per the FAA, if an “approved CRS, for which a ticket has been purchased, does not fit in a particular seat on the aircraft, the airline is responsible for accommodating the CRS in another seat in the same class of service.”

That option wasn’t provided to Becca, and the flight attendant moved her son’s carseat diagonally, as it would not fit any other way. At this point, the safety seat was at a “big incline.”
“I do not understand why this passenger’s comfort was more important than my child’s safety,” says Becca, who tried, after the flight, to bring the incident to American’s attention.

She says the airline ignored her until she commented on the American Facebook page. Eventually, the airline offered her 10,000 rewards miles, but she says that would only cover about one-third of the ticket she’d paid full price for.

“This kind of treatment is not only unfair, it is extremely unsafe,” she says. “American put my child at risk. I bought a seat on purpose, and all of this occurred so that one customer could recline two inches.”

A spokesperson for the FAA tells Consumerist that “no airline may prohibit a child from occupying an FAA approved Child Restraint System, if certain conditions are met.”

Seems to be a lot of hyperbole and exaggeration. 2 inch recline creates a "big incline" in the chair and makes her child "extremely unsafe". Could she not switch seats with the chair? What seat on any airplane has 6 feet of legroom?

That being said I'm probably being a dick by playing devils advocate. Would like to hear both sides of the story. All standard seats on all planes are terrible these days. We're going to keep getting stories like this as long as they keep seat space so small.

I love how by airlines reducing the distance between rows it has caused people to blame each other over basic comfort functionality that should be not the least bit controversial. Instead of bitching at each other, every single one of you should be bitching directly at the airline. What's that? You wanted flights to be $15 cheaper so you're ok with them cramming people in? Well you should probably just deal with the struggle then and accept you will have a chair cramming into your knees and knees cramming into your back. Willing to pay more for more room? Do it. Though I will say it would be cheaper for us all to make more room standard and pay the slight increase than significant increase as an option for more room. Blame and complain to the airline and maybe we can have that again.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Yeah, people shouldn't be blaming the recliner or the mom. This is squarely on the airlines. Its on them to accommodate their customers. its not on the customers to sacrifice comfort or safety to make life easier on the airlines.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Honestly as much as I find people who recline annoying(though admittedly, I reclined yesterday on my long ass 15 hour flight while trying to sleep), I'm going to have to blame the mom here.

Air travel is already a massive pain in the ass and is actually hazardous to the health of many people if they don't have enough leg room or if their body is in a certain position for hours. I think bringing a massive car seat that will inconvenience a fellow paying passenger is pretty rude, especially when 99% of parents with young kids come out of the plane just fine after putting them in regular seats or on their laps. One thing I've noticed on flights is that most parents flying with young kids feel more privileged than other passengers, even more than the ever-hated seat reclining passenger. I'm sure the mom was using her full reclining "rights" while the car seat was preventing someone else from doing so themself :S

JudgeN

Yeah, people shouldn't be blaming the recliner or the mom. This is squarely on the airlines. Its on them to accommodate their customers. its not on the customers to sacrifice comfort or safety to make life easier on the airlines.

Yep this is how I feel, if airlines didn't cram everyone they could on their tiny god damn planes we wouldn't have this issue. I'm sure people would pay a little more for a bigger planes and more room for everyone.

Why couldn't the recliner and flight attendant see if anyone else on the flight wouldn't mind switching to a non-reclining seat so everyone wins?

As a father of 2 with a 6 month old son, if someone impedes me from keeping my children safe, that person gets a rude version of me. If someone TOUCHES my children or their carseat, they get assaulted.

I don't give a FUCK about your comfort when my child could potentially get hurt as a result. All the "keep your child at home" people can fuck off too. Sometimes parents don't have a choice and you aren't entitled to your convenience when you enter the public space.

See this is the other aatitude that causes issues. The same way you dont give a fuck about another passenger they also do not give a fuck about you or your kid. So what you have is a bunch of angry people not doimg anythimg to find am actual solution to the problem. I personally think safety trumps comfort but if someome is.screaming and shouting in your face I find people also.are not goimg to give a ahit about what you want either.

This is exactly why airlines need to have plainly stated policies. So there is no conflict.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Airplane seats should not recline. Period.

I've said it time and time again on this forum, everyone should be in the same boat and unable to affect the comfort of others on the aircraft.

Honestly as much as I find people who recline annoying(though admittedly, I reclined yesterday on my long ass 15 hour flight while trying to sleep), I'm going to have to blame the mom here.

Air travel is already a massive pain in the ass and is actually hazardous to the health of many people if they don't have enough leg room or if their body is in a certain position for hours. I think bringing a massive car seat that will inconvenience a fellow paying passenger is pretty rude, especially when 99% of parents with young kids come out of the plane just fine after putting them in regular seats or on their laps. One thing I've noticed on flights is that most parents flying with young kids feel more privileged than other passengers, even more than the ever-hated seat reclining passenger. I'm sure the mom was using her full reclining "rights" while the car seat was preventing someone else from doing so themself :S

She made sure to check the guidelines of the airline, and they allowed for her to bring the car seat on to keep her child safe during the flight. So yes she was well within her "rights", it's on the airlines for constantly shrinking the space between seats and yet still allowing car seats. And no, while I'm sure you feel confident assuming she was reclining so you feel better blaming the whole thing on her, you don't know.

I've never felt any significant comfort from reclining the seat, it still feels like it's more or less vertical.

Despera

Banned

I've said it time and time again on this forum, everyone should be in the same boat and unable to affect the comfort of others on the aircraft.
There's a huge difference between slightly reclining your seat and crushing the passenger behind you.

Surely as reasonable people we could find a middle ground that would satisfy both parties.

I remember one time I reclined my seat just a little bit and the guy behind me punched my seat. When I turned around to look at him he just said "sorry"... lol

GSG Flash

She made sure to check the guidelines of the airline, and they allowed for her to bring the car seat on to keep her child safe during the flight. So yes she was well within her "rights", it's on the airlines for constantly shrinking the space between seats and yet still allowing car seats. And no, while I'm sure you feel confident assuming she was reclining so you feel better blaming the whole thing on her, you don't know.

I've never felt any significant comfort from reclining the seat, it still feels like it's more or less vertical.

I never said she wasn't within her rights, I said it was rude of her to bring a car seat, just like how many people here(including myself) find seat recliners rude, but they're still within their rights to recline a seat if the seat that they purchased has that option.

I don't know, I've flown a lot the last few months and I may just have been jaded by the number of parents I've encountered who feel as if they and their children own the plane and are allowed to behave as they please on it, which is why this lady gets no sympathy from me.

The problem is you have two groups of entitled people running into each other. Parents who think the world should bend to their needs since they have kids and don't think they're making an already stressful experience worse for everyone around them on the plane by bringing a screaming child on board. Then there is everyone else who doesn't care that the parent who is just trying to get to their destination without their baby flipping out and stressing them out even more.

That's a pretty flawed assumption to make, especially in this case. The Parent in question in this particular instance went out of her way to not only buy an additional seat but to get a car seat that was approved by the airline. The person who started shit was the recliner and then that was followed up by a failure of the flight attendent to be pragmatic and move the woman and her baby.

Further, the mother is looking out for the interests of the flight as well by having the child in a safety seat. A big reason kids flip the fuck out on planes is because they aren't comfortable and stationary. A booster/car seat takes care of that issue. They can be given shade so they can sleep, and they're upright so they aren't moving around. If the baby is comfortable then it's less prone to make out bursts that piss everybody off. Trust me, NO parent wants their kid screaming on a flight. It's stressful to everyone, especially the parent. They know people are staring at them and wanting them to shut the kid up. Putting a baby in a car seat really does go a long way towards keeping the baby comfortable and calm, which makes the flight better for everyone else.

This mother going out of her way to make sure she followed the rules is the opposite of entitled.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'd LOVE to hear American Airlines or other passengers' version of events.

Most airlines are douchebags.

Many passengers are douchebags.

But I've NEVER been on a flight where other passengers would have stood by and watch what has been described play out, and I've personally never encountered an attendant this dumb or mean (and I've encountered PLENTY).

The story, as written, reeks to me.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
That flight attendant and/or AA need to brush up on their training and regulations, and comply with FAA standards

You need to blame the airlines then, not the people who are flying. The airline industry is the one who turned traveling into the equivalent of a cattle car.

Dalek

I never said she wasn't within her rights, I said it was rude of her to bring a car seat, just like how many people here(including myself) find seat recliners rude, but they're still within their rights to recline a seat if the seat that they purchased has that option.

I don't know, I've flown a lot the last few months and I may just have been jaded by the number of parents I've encountered who feel as if they and their children own the plane and are allowed to behave as they please on it, which is why this lady gets no sympathy from me.

What the hell? This is what she is supposed to do. It's legal and it's for the best safety of the child on a flight. She's not just strutting around with a car seat because she thinks it's fun. Trust me-lugging all that shit along to the airport and through security, etc. is a giant pain in the ass. She's doing it for her child's well being-she's not doing it because she's looking to inconvienence you.

GSG Flash

You need to blame the airlines then, not the people who are flying. The airline industry is the one who turned traveling into the equivalent of a cattle car.

You're right, every time I step on an airplane, the amount of legroom and side room seems to be less than the last. Maybe the FAA needs to regulate seat sizes and leg room under stricter scrutiny.

What the hell? This is what she is supposed to do. It's legal and it's for the best safety of the child on a flight. She's not just strutting around with a car seat because she thinks it's fun. Trust me-lugging all that shit along to the airport and through security, etc. is a giant pain in the ass. She's doing it for her child-she's not doing it because she's looking to inconvienence you.

And yet, most other parents don't need to lug around that shit and don't start installing car seats to airplane seats and their children(include week old babies) come out of flights just fine. Whatever her(and your) reasoning may be, the fact is that she is being inconvenient when she doesn't have to be.

Everyone seems like a jerk in this situation.
Ah, that good ol "both sides" argument so you don't have to form an opinion by yourself.

Why would the person insist to recline when it's inconveniencing another passenger? Dick move and it sucks that American Airlines didn't bother to respond until her complaint went viral on social media. Did they offer an apology? They approved of this beforehand, so at nowhere is it the parent's fault.

Ah, that good ol "both sides" argument so you don't have to form an opinion by yourself.

Why would the person insist to recline when it's inconveniencing another passenger? Dick move and it sucks that American Airlines didn't bother to respond until her complaint went viral on social media. Did they offer an apology? They approved of this beforehand, so at nowhere is it the parent's fault.
I don't think this ever went viral, the linked article is pretty much as far as it went. Her compensation (the points) was based on her post to their FB page. I agree they should apologize, and refund the baby's seat cost at the very least, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't. They just dgaf, imo. Simply another whiny passenger in the cattle car to them. What's she gonna do, take Greyhound next time?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Like I am proudly child-free and I hate flying with babies but uh Team Mom/Car Seat here. I've never once reclined a seat on a flight. One, the three inches of recline isn't going to nominally change my level of comfort, and two, it will absolutely make things worse for the person behind me. Fuck the recliner here. Sit your ass upright for a couple hours Jesus.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

She purchased a separate seat for the child and then lugged a car seat onto the plane. To put the baby in the seat she purchased she has to use a car seat. None of that is rude, nor did she probably realize that her car seat would impact someones reclining ability. I've flown maybe 200-250 hours in my life, not a massive amount, but the only time kids have impacted my flight to any significant degree was when I have taken my own.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
People saying airlines should just make more legroom and raise the price a bit, most planes have a section for this (like delta plus). If you make your seats cost even 10 dollars more, the demographic of people that are just looking for the cheapest seats will just go to the airline that has less room and cheaper seats. Space will continue to shrink and will settle on the minimal acceptable risk for passenger insanity as long as there is financial incentive to do so.

That being said, if people are going to be stuck in a chair for 11 hours FAA should seriously reconsider what we call humane. Sky cattle is getting ridiculous. Hell, say it's for safety.

I'd LOVE to hear American Airlines or other passengers' version of events.

Most airlines are douchebags.

Many passengers are douchebags.

But I've NEVER been on a flight where other passengers would have stood by and watch what has been described play out, and I've personally never encountered an attendant this dumb or mean (and I've encountered PLENTY).

The story, as written, reeks to me.

Yes, this exactly. I've seen similar situations on planes and someone usually offers to switch seats to help out, or flight attendants will ask people nearby if anyone does not mind moving.
I can never understand the idea that holding your infant as being safe on any flight. Car seats should be mandatory.

Serious question: Why does the facing of a car seat matter on a plane? Isn't the rear facing thing for crash safety in a car? In a plane crash, none of that is going to matter, right? Am I missing something?

You know, you can say, airline legroom is a shitty situation for everyone, and we're all uncomfortable whether it's because we can't recline or legs are being crushed. Both sides have a point and it's the airlines who are at fault. They are the ones who deserve the hatred and complaints.

GSG Flash

She purchased a separate seat for the child and then lugged a car seat onto the plane. To put the baby in the seat she purchased she has to use a car seat. None of that is rude, nor did she probably realize that her car seat would impact someones reclining ability. I've flown maybe 200-250 hours in my life, not a massive amount, but the only time kids have impacted my flight to any significant degree was when I have taken my own.

Like I said earlier, most other parents don't start installing car seats to airplane seats and their young children come out of flights just fine.

Let's not kid ourselves, buying a separate seat for her child was just as much a convenience to her as it was safer for her child, since she wouldn't need to hold the baby all flight long as most other parents do.

I agree with other people that the airline should refund her extra ticket.

edit: And maybe the FAA should take into account how massive car seats are and how it will affect other already squeezed-in passengers on the plane before approving them for use on planes.

Iorv3th

I'm surprised she paid for an extra seat. Usually when I fly and someone has a baby that young they just hold it the entire screaming flight.

People saying airlines should just make more legroom and raise the price a bit, most planes have a section for this (like delta plus). If you make your seats cost even 10 dollars more, the demographic of people that are just looking for the cheapest seats will just go to the airline that has less room and cheaper seats. Space will continue to shrink and will settle on the minimal acceptable risk for passenger insanity as long as there is financial incentive to do so.

That being said, if people are going to be stuck in a chair for 11 hours FAA should seriously reconsider what we call humane. Sky cattle is getting ridiculous. Hell, say it's for safety.

If this is your mentality as a passenger then you have no right to complain about crushed knees or chair being kicked. Yet people do. Point is if more people want the legroom (they obviously do) and are willing to pay slightly more (maybe, maybe not) the airline will accommodate. The demographic just looking for the cheapest seats isn't necessarily the largest or one that an airline needs to cater to. That's why we have budget airlines.

ColdPizza

Banned
I'm surprised she paid for an extra seat. Usually when I fly and someone has a baby that young they just hold it the entire screaming flight.

I'm considering buying an extra ticket for my infant even though he can be held in my lap. Just having that row to yourself and the extra space can make the difference between a comfortable flight or not.

Deku Tree

Flying to Europe with my one year old soon. Didn't think twice about buying her a plane ticket. Best decision ever. Really hope the airline doesn't give me a hard time about the car seat and the person in fronts ability to recline.

Flying to Europe with my one year old soon. Didn't think twice about buying her a plane ticket. Best decision ever. Really hope the airline doesn't give me a hard time about the car seat and the person in fronts ability to recline.

Curious, is this a transcontinental flight (from US or wherever)? In which case, you conceivably paid $1000+ for an extra seat for the infant. Do you feel the extra seat worth that amount for conveniences sake? Or is it a safety thing?

So far as issues, this is the first time I've heard of passenger issues with a plane car seat (which is odd as I've traveled extensively for work, and heck, I don't ever recall seeing plane car seats at all)...so you probably won't have much to worry about.

Deku Tree

Curious, is this a transcontinental flight (from US or wherever)? In which case, you conceivably paid $1000+ for an extra seat for the infant. Do you feel the extra seat worth that amount for conveniences sake? Or is it a safety thing?

So far as issues, this is the first time I've heard of passenger issues with a plane car seat (which is odd as I've traveled extensively for work, and heck, I don't ever recall seeing plane car seats at all)...so you probably won't have much to worry about.

Yes from the US. It is both. A nine hour flight not being able to put your kid down or close your eyes seems nuts to me. Then I'd have to get off the plane at 8am and manage two kids with my wife in a foreign country. If you don't have two kids it may be hard to appreciate the challenges.

JohnsonUT

Babies, despite being light, are heavy and awkward to carry for long periods of time. In addition, once they are somewhat mobile, they will constantly be trying to move around and break free from your arms. It gets exhausting very quickly. Getting a seat is certainly a luxury, but it is can be worth it.

pigeon

Banned
Like I said earlier, most other parents don't start installing car seats to airplane seats and their young children come out of flights just fine.

Let's not kid ourselves, buying a separate seat for her child was just as much a convenience to her as it was safer for her child, since she wouldn't need to hold the baby all flight long as most other parents do.

edit: And maybe the FAA should take into account how massive car seats are and how it will affect other already squeezed-in passengers on the plane before approving them for use on planes.

Again, if your child is at least 2 years old, the FAA doesn't just approve a car seat, it requires you to bring a car seat in order to get on the plane.

Is that still inconsiderate?

I think you actually just don't understand airplane safety regulations.

NeOak

Shame on the people defending the recliner in this thread and accusing the mom of being selfish for taking care of her son.

Oh look, victim blaming and law breaking GAF at its best.

Tigress

You know, in general it is a pet peeve of mine when people who choose to have kids thinks everyone should inconvenience themselves cause they have kids (therefore are more important than you). I mean I hate those huge strollers that take up the whole aisle in grocery stores or on the sidewalk for example and I'm not that sympathetic towards stuff like that. Or those stupid baby on board things on people's cars... so you think that I shouldn't just drive safer around everyone, some how you are more special cause of your baby and I should be extra careful around your car? And I admit my first impulse if I were in that situation (being the person who wanted to recline) my first reaction would be to be annoyed at the person bringing in a large carseat (Until I got myself to think more rationally about it). But.....

It is safer for the kid to be in a carseat and strapped in than in her lap. The reason airlines want you to put your seatbelt on is cause of turbulence that can throw you up right into the ceiling if bad enough. That can kill an adult person (hits on the head don't have to be too hard to kill you). And a kid on a lap is not that safe (I mean mom relaxes one bit and turbulance hits... bam). So I can understand why one would want a kid in a car seat. It's a lot safer for the baby. In this case, I do think the baby's safety trumps some one's comfort. This isn't inconviencing some one just for their convenience, this is because they are trying to make it safe for their baby.

It sux for the person reclining and maybe they can switch with some one who doesn't care they don't want to recline. And honestly, that is what the airline should have done is try to see if some one would switch with that person (The one who wanted to recline). But, sometimes that's how it is. Some one there was going to have to compromise and in that case, safety comes first. It's just too bad the stewardess didn't think about maybe seeing if some one who didn't care about reclining was willing to switch and therefore everyone wins.

A seven month old can't sit an an airplane seat alone. The car seat is necessary just to hold the child.

A seven month old is also incapable of equalizing the sinus pressure caused by landing and takeoff and usually suffers immense pain on a flight, which is why babies cry so much on flights.

Who knows, maybe there was a death in the family or something, but babies really shouldn't be on a plane to begin with.

As someone who has taken numerous flights across oceans I respectfully disagree. I've been on flights where almost everyone was reclined. Of course these planes were made to accommodate that sort of thing and we weren't crammed in there like sardines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom