• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Airlines new lower-class fare (no pre-assigned seat, no carry-on luggage)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus this is basically spirit. Where you can make the flight as cheap as possible if you're going there with a fucking small backpack. But oh hey you're going on a trip?

- give me 50 bucks on the trip to, and 50 on the trip back. Oh what's that? Your bag is above 40 lbs which on a multiple week international trip wouldn't be unheard of? Gotta give me an extra 35 bucks for each one.

- also if your bag doesn't fit these specific dimensions you gotta pay for carry on. Another 35 bucks for each trip.

- want to choose your seat instead of being randomly assigned if you're traveling with family and want to sit together? Hmmmm gotta pay to choose your seats buckaroo. Depending on where you want it gets more and more expensive, fuck first come first serve.

- oh good sir you didn't print your boarding pass? Yyyyyyeah you're gonna have to pay me to print it for you. This company ink is very expensive.

I've never understood this either. When the plane starts boarding I stay seated until the line is very short. The flight attendants always find some overhead space somewhere, and everything I'll want is in my personal bag that stays with me.

I assume it's just a psychological thing that first people are more important and they're moving onto the next thing sooner which feels good.

Depends on a number of factors. If I have a carry-on, I'd rather be on sooner to guarantee a spot in the bin for my bag. Generally I've carried on for a reason, and that is not having to mess with baggage claim or in general risk a lost bag.

For Southwest, since seating is not assigned, I'd rather be on sooner so that I at least get the seat I want. For SWA, you get a boarding number and that determines the order you board. Have to check in right when it goes live to have a better shot of getting a number closer to the front of the line.

But any other situation - that is a pre-assigned seat with no carry on, I don't care when I board. And yeah, it's probably ideal to board last.

robosllim

I'm sure as with all flights, no one will actually police what people are carrying-on or ensure items are placed under the seats.
This. How about they start enforcing existing rules by imposing new ones? Saw a guy bring an acoustic guitar on a plane with him once. I pack light so I can squeeze my stuff in around shit like that.

zelas

It sounds like it would be good for those who are doing very short/light trips.

The space under the seat is actually pretty decently sized.
Argreed. Besides the less people acting like what's in their bag is more important that people getting to their seats the better.

Alaska is in my opinion the best normal airline by a mile.

Delta is similar, but less consistent. You can have really bad Delta experiences occasionally.

But Alaska is competent, pleasant, comfortable and not nickel and dimey. And their mileage plan is easily the best in the industry. Wonder how the Virgin merge will change things.

I flew Alaska today and it seems like, for now, Virgin perks/miles are interchangeable.

At least that's how it appeared this morning when boarding. Though I'm not sure what far-reaching changes will happen.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I flew Alaska today and it seems like, for now, Virgin perks/miles are interchangeable.

At least that's how it appeared this morning when boarding. Though I'm not sure what far-reaching changes will happen.

Yeah, they gave me 10k miles bonus for connecting my accounts, I'm curious to see how the cultures blend, but also FINGERS CROSSED that we might get a mileage partnership with Virgin Atlantic/Australia etc. Not the same owners tho, so who knows.

Jesus this is basically spirit. Where you can make the flight as cheap as possible if you're going there with a fucking small backpack. But oh hey you're going on a trip?

- give me 50 bucks on the trip to, and 50 on the trip back. Oh what's that? Your bag is above 40 lbs which on a multiple week international trip wouldn't be unheard of? Gotta give me an extra 35 bucks for each one.

- also if your bag doesn't fit these specific dimensions you gotta pay for carry on. Another 35 bucks for each trip.

- want to choose your seat instead of being randomly assigned if you're traveling with family and want to sit together? Hmmmm gotta pay to choose your seats buckaroo. Depending on where you want it gets more and more expensive, fuck first come first serve.

- oh good sir you didn't print your boarding pass? Yyyyyyeah you're gonna have to pay me to print it for you. This company ink is very expensive.
No way they'd actually call you "good sir."

ZOONAMI

Delta is not doing the BS no carry on stuff.

They just have a basic economy with no pre-assigned seat, which is fine.

Deku Tree

Delta is not doing the BS no carry on stuff.

They just have a basic economy with no pre-assigned seat, which is fine.

Yes they are. Deltas plan is exactly the same. You can't use the overhead bin but you can bring a personal item that fits under the seat.

RBH

Yes they are. Deltas plan is exactly the same. You can't use the overhead bin but you can bring a personal item that fits under the seat.
Since when?

I've been using flying basic economy on Delta for months now and I've brought a carry-on bag to put in the overhead bin every time, in addition to my personal item.

Kenstar

Depending on the prices, it doesn't seem that bad considering most backpacks fit under the seat just fine.

That said, AA sucks in general, so it really better be significantly cheaper.

One thing I don't understand is why being the "last boarding group" is supposed to be a bad thing and "first boarding group" being a perk. Who the hell wants to spend more time in an airplane?

When i was flying some Japan airline from tokyo to okinawa they boarded window seats first, then middle, then aisle

Why can't we copy the good shit like that

Deku Tree

Since when?

I've been using flying basic economy on Delta for months now and I've brought a carry-on bag to put in the overhead bin every time, in addition to my personal item.

I think this is a new fare class. My friend flew Delta two weeks ago and he wasn't allowed overhead bin space.

Gattsu25

Banned
Fucking hell. I hate flying Frontier because of how much they charge for the overhead storage carry-on luggage.

Sad to see that rip off proliferate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom