• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Gods |OT| You Had Me At Bryan Fuller - Sundays on Starz

ryseing

Of fucking course they would have Technical Boy vaping.

I wasn't the biggest fan of the book but I loved the concept. Ep. 1 was very promising in that regard. Love me some snappy dialogue.

Man I'm finding it so hard to get into new shows, I got this and that other show the women in dystopian america. Hella hard to just start them for some reason

Handmaid's Tale is too real for me right now. Will probably watch it over the summer.

Of fucking course they would have Technical Boy vaping.

I wasn't the biggest fan of the book but I loved the concept. Ep. 1 was very promising in that regard. Love me some snappy dialogue.

Handmaid's Tale is too real for me right now. Will probably watch it over the summer.

Yeah it seemed really suffocating.

Tryin American God's. Oh hey its Lincoln from the 100!

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Surely they'll win an award for the opening. So damn good, I don't think I'll ever skip it.

This opening is nice cause it tells you right off the bat this show isn't fucking around. The rivers of blood give me Hannibal flashbacks lol

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
"I offer you the worm from my beak and you look at me like I fucked your mom?" is gonna be the best line of the year. Nobody is topping that.

Mr. Wednesday's little speech about what keeps the plane in the air is also A+ stuff. Can't remember if that's in the book but I love it

Grizzlyjin

I wonder if anyone is watching the Bilquis scene with their family. 🙈😂

Tymerend

Did not at all expect them to toss the Bilquis scene so soon into the show, and it came off a bit campy, but it was probably the one scene more than any others I was wondering how they'd translate. Ian McShane is brilliant in this.

If the first episode taught me anything, though, it's that having read the book doesn't mean shit because this is a whole new adaptation. Might be entertaining still, though.

Netflix has me all fucked up, though. I simply can't do the whole waiting a week between episodes thing. I'll most likely just wait until they're all available to stream and binge them.

Krowley

The first episode is just fucking great. Absolutely captured the tone of the book.

Soooo weird. In a good way.

My only fear is that people who haven't read the book will be like, "What the fuck was that shit?" and just change the channel.

Grizzlyjin

The first episode is just fucking great. Absolutely captured the tone of the book.

My only fear is that people who haven't read the book will be like, "What the fuck was that shit?" and just change the channel.

My friends have said "I'm so confused" at least 6 times so far but they seem to be enjoying it. The crazy moments get big reactions. Already told them I ain't explaining shit.

Judging by what the reviews have said about the first 4 episodes, you just gotta be okay with enjoying the ride on this one.

Shy

I've not read the book, but i didn't have any problems following it at all.

Burt

It was good, but I can't stand when people don't ask painfully obvious questions. That feeling gets turned up to 11 when it results in you leaving the pilot without any real framework or narrative hook to move forward. It was like the episode stopped right on the line between the climax and resolution -- it would've benefited tremendously from five more minutes of run time.

WillyFive

Anything with Mr. Wednesday was superb.

It was good, but I can't stand when people don't ask painfully obvious questions. That feeling gets turned up to 11 when it results in you leaving the pilot without any real framework or narrative hook to move forward. It was like the episode stopped right on the line between the climax and resolution -- it would've benefited tremendously from five more minutes of run time.

This episode breezed through the book; I didn't expect this episode to get this many different chapters in. I expected this to only get through a 1/3rd of the stuff we got in the first episode.

Never read the book, so I'm going in to this knowing only the most basic outline of the story, but I think I'm hooked. That was fun, if not a bit confusing. Can't wait for next week.

I think this episode had more blood than all three seasons of Hannibal combined

Nah, there were episodes of Hannibal more bloody than the premiere.

Hell of a homecoming for Shadow Moon aka Lincoln from The 100. He stayed getting beat down on that show too.

Bilquist was fine, but I'm not trying to lose my life over her. I suppose there are worse ways to go out though.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Never read the book so I'm fresh going into it. The episode was pretty darn good. With Ian in it I'm gonna love it.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Pretty happy with the episode. Ian McShane is awesome and I still think I could watch anything he lays a finger on.

This show is Bryan Fuller unleashed and it is goddamn glorious. I hope the show continues this great momentum.
I can't believe they pulled of the vore scene...

Should I read the book before watching the show, or should I watch the show, and then read the book?

Seems like the show is a pretty good adaptation, though it would also make some narrative changes to fit the TV show format as well.

Really cool premiere.

I'm glad I reread the book prior the show started because I remembered very little of the books. It makes the differences interesting. I didn't see anything I feel is wrong or off key. And it's also cool they are injecting the side short stories into the episode as well.

Visually it's amazing, the casting top notch, this is the best adaptation I could have hoped for. I must say the one change that is understanding but still a little jarring is seeing Shadow with an actual personality and not the blank slate person just taking it all in with minimal reaction

ryseing

Since Thrones is ending next year I think AG is poised to take its spot of watercooler fantasy show. HBO should have stuck with it.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Mad Sweeney was/is pretty cool. Liked the first episode. Probably should re-read the book at some point.

Platy

LOVED !
Dude gets my go to adapt Sandman if he wants !
Beautiful and way more faithful than I expected !

Also, saw it with a friend who didn't read the books and he said like 3 "wtf" out loud during the episode and a very loud "WHAT THE FUCK" when it ended xD
He said it was a good what the fuck, but a what the fuck nevertheless

Shadow Moon is the most emo name

I laugh literally every time I hear it

CzKnUNy.png

Also, saw it with a friend who didn't read the books and he said like 3 "wtf" out loud during the episode and a very loud "WHAT THE FUCK" when it ended xD
He said it was a good what the fuck, but a what the fuck nevertheless
I mean, a spine was flying through the air as it rained blood

Top Bottom